What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***2013 Baseball Hall of Fame Thread (1 Viewer)

Nice Joe Posnanski piece about fifteen players on their first HoF ballot this year who are unlikely to see their second.
Enjoyed this article very much. Thanks for posting it.
It was one of a series of three. The other two dealt with borderline players and the ones he voted for.Posnanski took a lot of heat for his Paterno stance but his baseball material is a good mix of modern analysis and traditional lore. Sports on Earth is a pretty strong new site. There are a enough unemployed professional sportswriters around that we shouldn't have to bother with moron sites like Bleacher Report.

I'm saddened that Bernie Williams is off the ballot after 1 year. He wasn't what I considered a super-strong candidate, but I feel like he's better than several players that are in the HOF (notably Jim Rice). I feel like he deserved to be on the ballot longer at the very least and has a very similar resume to Dale Murphy.ETA: Same thing for Kenny Lofton. I feel he deserved more than one and done.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm saddened that Bernie Williams is off the ballot after 1 year. He wasn't what I considered a super-strong candidate, but I feel like he's better than several players that are in the HOF (notably Jim Rice). I feel like he deserved to be on the ballot longer at the very least and has a very similar resume to Dale Murphy.
:fishing: Bernie Williams was a nice baseball player, but he was not even a border line hof candidate. Never finished in the top 5 in mvp voting, and only once in the top 10 in his entire career.He led the AL in one offensive category (BA), once.Had a few gg's.I suppose you think Paul O'Neill was slighted too?

I'm saddened that Bernie Williams is off the ballot after 1 year. He wasn't what I considered a super-strong candidate, but I feel like he's better than several players that are in the HOF (notably Jim Rice). I feel like he deserved to be on the ballot longer at the very least and has a very similar resume to Dale Murphy.
:fishing: Bernie Williams was a nice baseball player, but he was not even a border line hof candidate. Never finished in the top 5 in mvp voting, and only once in the top 10 in his entire career.He led the AL in one offensive category (BA), once.Had a few gg's.I suppose you think Paul O'Neill was slighted too?
Better RRHOF candidate than Jack McDowell or Ben Broussard? :shrug:

'Matthias said:
Balls were juiced in 87
:goodposting: i thought this was a well-known consensus
That was always the speculation but was it ever proven or admitted to? Why did they juice the balls in 1987? Why did they only do so for one year?
If only there was some place dedicated to baseball history that someone could go and read about these types of things.
Yeah Im sure the HOF mentions the juiced ball era

'Matthias said:
Balls were juiced in 87
:goodposting: i thought this was a well-known consensus
That was always the speculation but was it ever proven or admitted to? Why did they juice the balls in 1987? Why did they only do so for one year?
If only there was some place dedicated to baseball history that someone could go and read about these types of things.
Yeah Im sure the HOF mentions the juiced ball era
Probably not in the "one hour tour".

O'Neill didn't have close to the career of Bernie. I'm not saying Bernie should be in the Hall. I'm saying he should at least be on the ballot for more than one year.

O'Neill didn't have close to the career of Bernie. I'm not saying Bernie should be in the Hall. I'm saying he should at least be on the ballot for more than one year.
That's a consequence of the system. If he (or Lofton) made the 5% threshold and were on the 2014 ballot, what's the difference in the grand scheme of things? I don't think anybody has ever climbed from 5% to 75% in their 15 year stretch. Blyleven dipped as low as 14% in his second year of eligibility.There's something wrong when the best a system meant to honor very good players can do is disrespect those players by kicking them off the ballot ingloriously after one shot. But I don't think this is the biggest problem the BBHof and BBWAA are facing toay.

That's a consequence of the system. If he (or Lofton) made the 5% threshold and were on the 2014 ballot, what's the difference in the grand scheme of things? I don't think anybody has ever climbed from 5% to 75% in their 15 year stretch. Blyleven dipped as low as 14% in his second year of eligibility.There's something wrong when the best a system meant to honor very good players can do is disrespect those players by kicking them off the ballot ingloriously after one shot. But I don't think this is the biggest problem the BBHof and BBWAA are facing toay.
Agreed that it's not close to their biggest problem right now. Also, you're right, in the grand scheme of things it really doesn't matter. I just find it sad. Bernie and Lofton basically get dismissed the same way Sele and Cirillo and Todd Walker were. I just don't see how that adds up. I mean, Bernie was the CF and clean-up hitter for 4 WS teams. Lofton could be considered one of the top 10 CFs of all time. Similar arguments could be made for others in previous years.:shrug:It's just another thing that leaves me completely disenfranchised with the whole process and the HOF as a whole. I remember how excited and happy I was when I first got the chance to go to Cooperstown in 1995. Will never forget that day. Was the same way when I returned in 1999. Now, I don't know that I'll ever go back.

Side note to the main discussion but how does the Baseball Hall of Fame keep losing money? Don't they just open the doors and collect money?

Side note to the main discussion but how does the Baseball Hall of Fame keep losing money? Don't they just open the doors and collect money?
A lot of museums are running a deficit these days. Endowments have shrunk and operating and acquisition costs are increasing. There's a limit to how much the museum can charge, especially for kids.Being located out in the middle of nowhere doesn't help matters either. It takes a pretty big commitment for almost all visitors to get there. There's virtually no opportunity to get walk-up traffic on a rainy day.

Hall of fame becomes completely irrelevant if Bonds doesn't go in.
I think it's the exact opposite.
Exactly.....Peace
If they took all the cheaters out of the Hall of Fame, Shady would only have to spend six minutes there. Especially pitchers doctoring the ball. Think what you want but Tim Kurkjian said today Bonds is the greatest player he's ever seen, and I agree with him 100%. Take the steroid years off, he still belongs in. He was incredible.
Individuals have chosen the wrong road, and they're choosing that as their legacy.....Andre DawsonAs you point out, Bonds didn't have to do them.
Maybe if Hawk had taken HGH he would have actually been deserving of his HOF election. Though he likely took amphetemines and quite possibly steriods too. I mean, 49 HRs were quite an abberation,
Not in 1987 they weren't.
Wait, you mean offensive spikes can happen independent of PEDs?!? You learn the strangest things.

Griffey will positively get in on the 1st-ballot, yes?
I can't wait to see the #######(s) that keep Griffey from being unanimous explaining their rationale.
Or Maddux.
if ballots are still secret, then i doubt we will know who left them off. If by chance anyone does reveal a Maddux-free or Junior-free ballot, the rationale will be "there were only 10 spots, and this ballot is loaded, and i knew he would get in anyway".

There's something wrong when the best a system meant to honor very good players can do is disrespect those players by kicking them off the ballot ingloriously after one shot. But I don't think this is the biggest problem the BBHof and BBWAA are facing toay.
Wait, Lofton didn't get above the threshold to stay on? That's insane.
I don't understand why you can speculate on a guy like Piazza or Bagwell, but no one does on Griffey, Maddux or Thomas.
I've always thought Thomas was probably a juicer. ANd I've never understood why a guy like Griffey - whose body began breaking down in the same way as other steroid guys like Bagwell - is not included in the conversation.

I can't wait to see the #######(s) that keep Griffey from being unanimous explaining their rationale.
Or Maddux.
I don't understand why you can speculate on a guy like Piazza or Bagwell, but no one does on Griffey, Maddux or Thomas. Its not like Jason Grimsely reminds me of a bodybuilder.
Lots of right in that comment. The moment Alex Sanchez (the first player suspended under 2005 rules) pissed hot, everyone was suspect.

I've always thought Thomas was probably a juicer. ANd I've never understood why a guy like Griffey - whose body began breaking down in the same way as other steroid guys like Bagwell - is not included in the conversation.
this statement confuses me. i thought PEDs were supposed to prevent/delay that body breakdown. perhaps you can elaborate on what you mean by "in the same way".

'Limp Ditka said:
'dparker713 said:
'rodg12 said:
'Limp Ditka said:
'Raider Nation said:
Or Maddux.
I don't understand why you can speculate on a guy like Piazza or Bagwell, but no one does on Griffey, Maddux or Thomas. Its not like Jason Grimsely reminds me of a bodybuilder.
Lots of right in that comment. The moment Alex Sanchez (the first player suspended under 2005 rules) pissed hot, everyone was suspect.
Mr. Jesus, A. Petitte is another example that everyone is suspect.

I'm agreeing with the comment about pettitte. I'm saying, there was no noticeable spike in statistical performance during the reported time he juiced. So you can't always assume that the steroid guys are big hulking monsters or guys whose performance suddenly spiked. Pettitte was a juicer who didn't get noticeably bigger and whose stats remained relatively similar. So if a guy like that is a clear juicer, anyone can be

I'm agreeing with the comment about pettitte. I'm saying, there was no noticeable spike in statistical performance during the reported time he juiced. So you can't always assume that the steroid guys are big hulking monsters or guys whose performance suddenly spiked. Pettitte was a juicer who didn't get noticeably bigger and whose stats remained relatively similar. So if a guy like that is a clear juicer, anyone can be
Their point is that he should have declined sooner. Of course, applying those same rules to players since the 60s and 70s, you have to suspect players like Ryan and Aaron. I mean, look at the fury Ryan laid down on Ventura and tell me that wasn't 'roid rage.

The ballots turned in by each HOF voter is public knowledge, right? If someone doesn't vote for Maddux next year, I demand an explanation. And then a drug test.

Their point is that he should have declined sooner.
I know. And I'm agreeing with them. I guess I'm not explaining myself well.My point is, people were onto guys like Bonds, Sosa, McGwire because they got ridiculously huge. They were onto guys like Clemens and Brady Anderson because they had abnormal spikes at odd times. Pettitte was under the radar and nobody really questioned anything about him, much like with Ryan. Their stats remained consistent from year to year. After the fact, yes we all look at it and say "Hey where was the decline phase". But at the time, nobody was questioning Pettitte and wondering if he was on the juice.So like I said, if a guy like Pettitte can slide in under the radar with nary a whisper about him, then we need to question every single guy in the league. Maybe a guy only hit 2 HR in 600 ABs. But maybe without juice, he was no better than a AA player. Maybe a guy didn't decline at age 35 but he should have, that is enough evidence to at least question it.

'Matthias said:
Their point is that he should have declined sooner.
I know. And I'm agreeing with them. I guess I'm not explaining myself well.My point is, people were onto guys like Bonds, Sosa, McGwire because they got ridiculously huge. They were onto guys like Clemens and Brady Anderson because they had abnormal spikes at odd times. Pettitte was under the radar and nobody really questioned anything about him, much like with Ryan. Their stats remained consistent from year to year. After the fact, yes we all look at it and say "Hey where was the decline phase". But at the time, nobody was questioning Pettitte and wondering if he was on the juice.So like I said, if a guy like Pettitte can slide in under the radar with nary a whisper about him, then we need to question every single guy in the league. Maybe a guy only hit 2 HR in 600 ABs. But maybe without juice, he was no better than a AA player. Maybe a guy didn't decline at age 35 but he should have, that is enough evidence to at least question it.
Maybe I'm missing something, but how is Pettitte evidence of anything for either side? The only allegation about him I've ever read was him using it for a few weeks, trying to come back from injury. That doesn't count as being a juicer in my book.
Maybe video footage will leak one day of him injecting throughout his playing career. :shrug:

'Matthias said:
'Daywalker said:
'Matthias said:
My point is, people were onto guys like Bonds, Sosa, McGwire because they got ridiculously huge. They were onto guys like Clemens and Brady Anderson because they had abnormal spikes at odd times. Pettitte was under the radar and nobody really questioned anything about him, much like with Ryan. Their stats remained consistent from year to year. After the fact, yes we all look at it and say "Hey where was the decline phase". But at the time, nobody was questioning Pettitte and wondering if he was on the juice.So like I said, if a guy like Pettitte can slide in under the radar with nary a whisper about him, then we need to question every single guy in the league. Maybe a guy only hit 2 HR in 600 ABs. But maybe without juice, he was no better than a AA player. Maybe a guy didn't decline at age 35 but he should have, that is enough evidence to at least question it.
Maybe I'm missing something, but how is Pettitte evidence of anything for either side? The only allegation about him I've ever read was him using it for a few weeks, trying to come back from injury. That doesn't count as being a juicer in my book.
Maybe video footage will leak one day of him injecting throughout his playing career. :shrug:
Sure. Maybe he did. But as of right now, there's no evidence or allegation that he did. So I'm not sure how you could use him as an example like MB did above: If Pettitte can slide under the radar, that we have to question everyone. I don't count what we know about Pettitte as a good example of someone who successfully slid under the radar. As far as we know, Pettitte slid under the radar because he didn't really do steroids.FWIW, I'd be surprised if Pettitte admitted to doing steroids in the way and time that he did and then categorically deny doing them any other time while throwing Clemens under the bus. But it's possible.
Guy is dumb as a rock, maybe he just forgot.

'Matthias said:
'Daywalker said:
'Matthias said:
My point is, people were onto guys like Bonds, Sosa, McGwire because they got ridiculously huge. They were onto guys like Clemens and Brady Anderson because they had abnormal spikes at odd times. Pettitte was under the radar and nobody really questioned anything about him, much like with Ryan. Their stats remained consistent from year to year. After the fact, yes we all look at it and say "Hey where was the decline phase". But at the time, nobody was questioning Pettitte and wondering if he was on the juice.So like I said, if a guy like Pettitte can slide in under the radar with nary a whisper about him, then we need to question every single guy in the league. Maybe a guy only hit 2 HR in 600 ABs. But maybe without juice, he was no better than a AA player. Maybe a guy didn't decline at age 35 but he should have, that is enough evidence to at least question it.
Sure. Maybe he did. But as of right now, there's no evidence or allegation that he did. So I'm not sure how you could use him as an example like MB did above: If Pettitte can slide under the radar, that we have to question everyone. I don't count what we know about Pettitte as a good example of someone who successfully slid under the radar. As far as we know, Pettitte slid under the radar because he didn't really do steroids.FWIW, I'd be surprised if Pettitte admitted to doing steroids in the way and time that he did and then categorically deny doing them any other time while throwing Clemens under the bus. But it's possible.
Guy is dumb as a rock, maybe he just forgot.
misremembered

2014 Ford Frick nominees announced

Joe Castiglione (Red Sox)
Jacques Doucet (Expos/Blue Jays)
Hawk Harrelson (Idiot)
Bill King (A's)
Duane Kuiper (Giants)
Eric Nadel (Rangers)
Eduardo Ortega (Padres)
Mike Shannon (Cardinals)
Dewayne Staats (Rays)
Pet Van Wieren (Braves)

Hawk Harrelson (Idiot)

Bill King (A's)

Duane Kuiper (Giants)

Eric Nadel (Rangers)

Eduardo Ortega (Padres)

Mike Shannon (Cardinals)

Dewayne Staats (Rays)

Pet Van Wieren (Braves)
Love Kuip, lots of late night hours spent watching the Giants over the years and I think he does an awesome job. Staats is excellent, and got a soft spot for him as a throwback to his MSG days announcing for the Yanks when I was a kid. Not sure what credentials make a HOF broadcaster, but I'm a fan of those two.

Hawk Harrelson (Idiot)

Bill King (A's)

Duane Kuiper (Giants)

Eric Nadel (Rangers)

Eduardo Ortega (Padres)

Mike Shannon (Cardinals)

Dewayne Staats (Rays)

Pet Van Wieren (Braves)
Love Kuip, lots of late night hours spent watching the Giants over the years and I think he does an awesome job. Staats is excellent, and got a soft spot for him as a throwback to his MSG days announcing for the Yanks when I was a kid. Not sure what credentials make a HOF broadcaster, but I'm a fan of those two.
second vote for Staats, met him a few times, just a solid dude. HOFer, I don't know who is though its semi subjective. I also WOULD vote for Hawk...YESSSSS.

As a Rays fan I love having Staats call all our games. He kind of got my fiancée into baseball as she likes listening to him. She was bummed when she found out he wouldn't be calling the playoff games. Lol

Users who are viewing this thread