What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***2013 Baseball Hall of Fame Thread (2 Viewers)

I heard a proposal recently (maybe it's been discussed here already) that out of the HoF, there are 100 players designated as the "greatest ever". However, you can get kicked out of the "greatest ever" by some new "greatest ever". Not out of the HoF, but out of the "l33t" of the HoF. Then you could let all kinds borderline guys in to the basic Hall, but not into the "greatest ever".
Seems silly to me. The Hall isn't a zero sum game. Why should admitting Greg Maddux mean bumping somebody down a level. Inducting Rabbit Maranville doesn't diminish Honus Wagner's achievements one iota, it just means one more plaque for shadyridr to obliviously wander past.

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard a proposal recently (maybe it's been discussed here already) that out of the HoF, there are 100 players designated as the "greatest ever". However, you can get kicked out of the "greatest ever" by some new "greatest ever". Not out of the HoF, but out of the "l33t" of the HoF. Then you could let all kinds borderline guys in to the basic Hall, but not into the "greatest ever".
Seems silly to me. The Hall isn't a zero sum game. Why should admitting Greg Maddux mean bumping somebody down a level. Inducting Rabbit Maranville doesn't diminish Honus Wagner's achievements one iota, it just means one more plaque for shadyjr to obliviously wander past.
:wub: Thanks GB. :wub:

I love the hypocricy among the voters. They were all front and center cheering for these players and writing how wonderful it was that people cared abour baseball again. All the while, looking the other way as several of the players went from looking like baseball players to looking like defensive ends. "PEDs? Yeah, probably but my, look how far that ball went!!!" But now, watching the voters scurry like rats from these same players while claiming they hold the keys to baseballs morality......makes me sick.
I don't see how this is hypocrisy. It's not like they openly condoned PED use or used themselves. Yes, they didn't do their jobs well with respect to coverage of PEDs, but I don't see what they did then that has to do with how they feel now about whether certain players meet certain subjective criteria.Don't get me wrong- if I had a ballot I'd vote for those guys. I just don't see the hypocrisy.

By the way, I'm disappointed in the vote, but this is the type of stuff that makes baseball so great, IMO. You don't see this type of discussion with any other sport's HOF.

By the way, I'm disappointed in the vote, but this is the type of stuff that makes baseball so great, IMO. You don't see this type of discussion with any other sport's HOF.
I don't mind it either. Piazza should have gotten in all things being equal though, Biggio probably as well. But I'm fine with none as long as there is going to be some consistency. Do I think not letting Bonds and Clemons in is a joke? Yes. But letting both stew for a few years is fine with me.

Maddux gets in on first ballot, has to.
My bet is that he breaks the record for voting %.
I'll take the under
Skinny nerdy guy with 4 CY's and 350+ wins in the steroid era? The BBWAA will have one huge collective boner about putting him in next year following their statement this year.
The BBWAA membership have so many individual agendas that near unanimity is impossible. There are probably a few guys who still get ballots sent to them who haven't followed the game since the days of Garry and Elliott Maddox.

Seems silly to me. The Hall isn't a zero sum game. Why should admitting Greg Maddux mean bumping somebody down a level. Inducting Rabbit Maranville doesn't diminish Honus Wagner's achievements one iota, it just means one more plaque for shadyridr to obliviously wander past.
:lmao:

I love the hypocricy among the voters. They were all front and center cheering for these players and writing how wonderful it was that people cared abour baseball again. All the while, looking the other way as several of the players went from looking like baseball players to looking like defensive ends. "PEDs? Yeah, probably but my, look how far that ball went!!!" But now, watching the voters scurry like rats from these same players while claiming they hold the keys to baseballs morality......makes me sick.
I don't see how this is hypocrisy. It's not like they openly condoned PED use or used themselves. Yes, they didn't do their jobs well with respect to coverage of PEDs, but I don't see what they did then that has to do with how they feel now about whether certain players meet certain subjective criteria.Don't get me wrong- if I had a ballot I'd vote for those guys. I just don't see the hypocrisy.
boy, i do. so much sanctimony about guys they totally celebrated along the way.

Did anyone ese catch the Jill Painter interview on MLB radio today? How they allow her to vote is beyond me. She went on the show explaining her choices. Bad idea because she voted for Shawn Green. Her reasoning? He hit 40 homers twice and was an All Star. And he was the face of the Dodgers. Unreal. What a joke.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did anyone ese catch the Jill Painter interview on MLB radio today? How they allow her to vote is beyond me. She went on the show explaining her choices. Bad idea because she voted for Shawn Green. Her reasoning? He hit 40 homers twice and was an All Star. And he was the face of the Dodgers. Unreal. What a joke.
jill painter‏@jillpainterThis guy was as consistent as they come, did ton for the Jewish community, didn't do steriods. I understand why many dont agree
:rolleyes:

jill painter‏@jillpainterThis guy was as consistent as they come, did ton for the Jewish community, didn't do steriods. I understand why many dont agree
:rolleyes:
She also voted for Bernie Williams.Her full ballot was Biggio, Green, Lofton, Martinez, Mattingly, Williams

I think a big reason for the voters not putting Bonds and Clemons on the ballot is the prestige they give 1st ballot Hall of Famers. I don't think they wanted these 2 to have that privilege. I'm guessing that their percentages will rise in the next few years, and eventually get voted in.

:lmao: :lmao:

Hall of fame becomes completely irrelevant if Bonds doesn't go in.
I think it's the exact opposite.
Exactly.....Peace
If they took all the cheaters out of the Hall of Fame, Shady would only have to spend six minutes there. Especially pitchers doctoring the ball. Think what you want but Tim Kurkjian said today Bonds is the greatest player he's ever seen, and I agree with him 100%. Take the steroid years off, he still belongs in. He was incredible.

Exactly.....Peace
If they took all the cheaters out of the Hall of Fame, Shady would only have to spend six minutes there. Especially pitchers doctoring the ball. Think what you want but Tim Kurkjian said today Bonds is the greatest player he's ever seen, and I agree with him 100%. Take the steroid years off, he still belongs in. He was incredible.
:goodposting:

Exactly.....Peace
Individuals have chosen the wrong road, and they're choosing that as their legacy.....Andre DawsonAs you point out, Bonds didn't have to do them.

Yes! :lmao:

Clubhouse leader for 2013 quote of the year.

Clubhouse leader for 2013 quote of the year.
:goodposting: :lmao: :lmao:DrD, pass that quote through the internet.

boy, i do. so much sanctimony about guys they totally celebrated along the way.
I see the awkwardness, just not sure if it's hypocrisy. What were they supposed to do, not write about Bonds and McGwire and Sosa chasing records? Just ignore it based on their suspicions? Or condemn them for using PEDs without real evidence of it? Even an in-depth investigation (which granted, more of them should have done) would have likely come up empty. I also don't see the vote necessarily as sanctimony. For whatever reason, the Hall vote directions include stuff about "character and integrity." I don't much care about PED use back then so it doesn't bother me enough that I'd vote "no," but the criteria is so soft that I don't see how you can say someone is wrong.

My biggest issue is that most of them don't make their votes and their rationale public. That's the really obnoxious part to me. You're choosing to participate in something that ultimately belongs to the game and the fans, not to the BBWAA. You owe it to them to explain yourself.

Am I alone on the 'Craig Biggio wasn't clean' bandwagon? It always amazes me that he avoids any/all scrutiny in the whole steroids conversation.

Am I alone on the 'Craig Biggio wasn't clean' bandwagon? It always amazes me that he avoids any/all scrutiny in the whole steroids conversation.
I admittedly never gave much thought to Biggio on the juice, but it's guys like him that should get more scrutiny. We see guys like Bagwell and Sosa and Piazza and say that they became these home run hitting machines due to steroids, and it's reflected in their numbers. But guys like Biggio get a pass because he didn't have video game type stats. But maybe Biggio was a 3-5 HR guy and the juice got him to 15-20. Those are the guys who are WAY too under the radar to me, not just the guys who put up legendary stats. If a B+ talent takes steroids, he might become an A+ player. But if a C+ talent takes steroids, he becomes a B+ player. There are a lot more C+ talents around the game than anything else.

Maddux gets in on first ballot, has to.
My bet is that he breaks the record for voting %.
I'll take the under
Skinny nerdy guy with 4 CY's and 350+ wins in the steroid era? The BBWAA will have one huge collective boner about putting him in next year following their statement this year.
The BBWAA membership have so many individual agendas that near unanimity is impossible. There are probably a few guys who still get ballots sent to them who haven't followed the game since the days of Garry and Elliott Maddox.
There were like 5 guys that submitted a ballot of just Jack Morris. If those petulant children do the same, plus the "hey look at me, I submitted a blank ballot" idiots, and I don't think highest percentage is even in play.

Exactly.....Peace
Individuals have chosen the wrong road, and they're choosing that as their legacy.....Andre DawsonAs you point out, Bonds didn't have to do them.
Maybe if Hawk had taken HGH he would have actually been deserving of his HOF election. Though he likely took amphetemines and quite possibly steriods too. I mean, 49 HRs were quite an abberation,

Exactly.....Peace
Maybe if Hawk had taken HGH he would have actually been deserving of his HOF election. Though he likely took amphetemines and quite possibly steriods too. I mean, 49 HRs were quite an abberation,
Not in 1987 they weren't.

do you have any reasoning?
- wrong place / wrong time teammates with Bags / Caminiti / LuGo / Finley Numbers took a decent sized jump in the mid 90's 'steroid era'. Went from a 4-6 HR hitter to 15-20. I know they moved the fences in at the Astrodome somewhere in that time, but I'd assume (maybe incorrectly) that if it coincided with the #s spike, his OPS+ would have held steady over that time since it accounts for the ballpark.Noticeable, at least to me, change is body during that time too. Went from pipsqueak, 'that guy catches?' to ripped little monster.

Exactly.....Peace
Not in 1987 they weren't.

you're right. only speculation, no proof.my guess was that someone tinkered with the specs for the 87 balls, then changed them back to normal after seeing the effect. Sorta like New Coke

you're right. only speculation, no proof.my guess was that someone tinkered with the specs for the 87 balls, then changed them back to normal after seeing the effect. Sorta like New Coke
:goodposting: I'm pretty sure the balls were juiced after the strike as well.

'Limp Ditka said:
'shadyridr said:
'Limp Ditka said:
do you have any reasoning?
- wrong place / wrong time teammates with Bags / Caminiti / LuGo / Finley Numbers took a decent sized jump in the mid 90's 'steroid era'. Went from a 4-6 HR hitter to 15-20. I know they moved the fences in at the Astrodome somewhere in that time, but I'd assume (maybe incorrectly) that if it coincided with the #s spike, his OPS+ would have held steady over that time since it accounts for the ballpark.Noticeable, at least to me, change is body during that time too. Went from pipsqueak, 'that guy catches?' to ripped little monster.
Bunch of Ring Lardners up in here.

I've lost my love for baseball. It comes down 100% to the steroid issue. The way that MLB, and baseball writers tried to act as if an entire decade didn't happen disgusts me.The McGwire, Sosa and Bonds years were amazing. They were fun. Baseball was back and everyone loved it.I realize baseball is still big in baseball towns, but in much of the country the magic is completely gone.Mark McGwire and Barry Bonds should be in the hall of fame. It's a travesty that they aren't. Guys in football are all on some sort of performance enhancers. It starts in the NCAA and continues into the NFL. The NFL turns their head and makes a "fake" attempt at trying to combat it. MLB turns it into a huge story and blackballs their players. Horrible business move and its cost them dearly.

I've lost my love for baseball. It comes down 100% to the steroid issue. The way that MLB, and baseball writers tried to act as if an entire decade didn't happen disgusts me.

The McGwire, Sosa and Bonds years were amazing. They were fun. Baseball was back and everyone loved it.

I realize baseball is still big in baseball towns, but in much of the country the magic is completely gone.

Mark McGwire and Barry Bonds should be in the hall of fame. It's a travesty that they aren't. Guys in football are all on some sort of performance enhancers. It starts in the NCAA and continues into the NFL. The NFL turns their head and makes a "fake" attempt at trying to combat it.

MLB turns it into a huge story and blackballs their players. Horrible business move and its cost them dearly.
Any evidence to back these claims up other than your personal feelings? Baseball is alive and well.

Users who are viewing this thread