What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2013 Injury Thread - QB, RB, WR, TE, PK complete 6/9 (1 Viewer)

Mark Wimer

Hello All, It's time to put together the 2013 injury thread. Over the next five days or so, I'll encapsulate the latest news on all the fantasy-relevant skill-position players (QB, RB, WR, TE, PK) who either are currently recovering from a 2012 injury or who have suffered an injury so far this year (Michael Crabtree and Anthony McCoy - Achilles injuries - as the most notable recent examples of significant 2013 injuries). I'm asking that fans of the various NFL teams help me out by posting any breaking injury news in this thread, along with a link to your source for that item. As a thank you, I'll call out all contributors in this beginning post as preseason goes along. All helpful posts are greatly appreciated. All 32 teams at all five positioins have now been reviewed as of 6/9/2013 Thanks, Mark Wimer

Last edited by a moderator:
All 32 teams reviewed as of 6/9/2013QBBUF: Kevin Kolb was signed to a one-year free agent deal during the offseason - he has apparently recovered from his ribs/sternum injury that wrecked his 2012 season in Arizona. Kolb was finally placed on IR December 12, 2012 after missing most of the season - his ribs weren't healing properly according to Kolb's comments on December 6, 2012: 'Whenever the cartilage broke, (the ribs) are laying underneath my sternum. That's how they are trying to heal, rather than healing where it's butted up straight against it like a normal cracked rib, flush with each other.'DAL: Tony Romo had a cyst removed from his back in late April - he will miss some OTAs, but he is expected to be fine for training camp.DEN: Peyton Manning's passes are reportedly stronger and have more 'zip' during OTAs so far this year - it appears that he is continuing to move back towards his top form as his recovery from multiple neck surgeries recedes into the rear-view mirror.HOU: Matt Schaub may have battled through an undisclosed injury during the closing weeks of the 2012 season, but there has been no official confirmation of this from the Texans - Schaub was never listed on the official injury report during the final month of the season.MIN: Christian Ponder had an MRI on his right elbow/upper arm after the season because his bruised triceps was bothering him. On June 3, 2013 it was reported that he appears 100% healthy with good velocity on his passes during OTAs. The triceps issue appears to be a thing of the past.PHI: Michael Vick missed time at the end of the 2012 season due to a concussion/getting demoted while the Eagles struggled. He did play in week 17, though, and after working out a new, restructured contract with the team he's in the mix to be the starting quarterback. Vick does face a training camp challenge from Nick Foles for the top job, though - it will likely not be until the end of the preseason before we know which player starts for the new-look Eagles.PHI: Nick Foles wound up on IR to end the season last year, due to fractures in his hand. However, the recovery time from the injury was said to be in weeks, not months, and he split reps with Michael Vick at the recent Eagles' OTA/mini-camp. Foles is locked in a training camp duel with Vick for the starting job in Philadelphia.PIT: Ben Roethliberger feels fully recovered from the shoulder and ribs injuries that plagued him mid-season during 2012: 'I feel great. I think I ended the season healthier than I have in a long time. I know that sounds crazy because of my ribs and chest, but I played three or four games at the end of the season and I was actually getting healthy as the season was ending,' Roethlisberger said on March 6, 2013. However, it was revealed on June 5, 2013 that Roethlisberger had minor surgery on his right knee Wednesday, June 5, and is expected to be healthy for the start of training camp. It was reported that Roethlisberger could have played with the injured meniscus in his right knee, but doctors recommended he have the surgery.TEN: Jake Locker (Locker dislocated non-throwing-arm shoulder twice last season) said on May 21, 2013 he feels like his old self with the shoulder, and has had no issues. 'I don't know a whole lot about it as far as if it's supposed to be better or stronger, but I can tell you it feels better and just the same as it did before I got hurt,' Locker said. 'I haven't had any problems with it. I haven't had any moments with it where, I'm like, 'Aw, man, I can feel that,' or 'it slipped a little bit.' It feels great. It feels normal and I'm excited about that.'WAS: Robert Griffin III had his knee surgically repaired January 9, 2013 (torn ACL and LCL, with some damage to the medial meniscus cartilage as well). Redskins' team Dr. James Andrews has indicated that Griffin is 'well ahead' of the timetable for his recovery, and head coach Mike Shanahan has also stated that Griffin is ahead of schedule - but there is still uncertainty about Griffin being ready for the start of the season, and he may get very few reps on the practice field during training camp. A report out of Washington on June 7, 2013 indicated that Griffin was limping after the practice session that day, but other reports have stressed that Griffin hasn't suffered soreness or swelling in the joint despite doing running, cutting, and throwing the football on the side of the field with the other rehabilitating players. For his part, Griffin plans to be ready for day one of training camp, but the final decision will rest with Dr. James Andrews and the Redskins' training staff.RBARI: Rashard Mendenhall struggled to play on his reconstructed knee (ACL tear) during 2012, according to reports out of his new home with the Cardinals. However, he has garnered praise from head coach Bruce Arians since arriving in Arizona, and appears to be the favorite to start for the Cardinals.ARI: Ryan Williams had no confidence in his surgically repaired knee (patella tendon tear/surgery during 2011) during the 2012 season. He stated on May 23, 2013 that he was scared to have the ball in his hands, and added: 'I was trying to protect my leg instead of trying to protect the football. It's a scary sight being a running back and being scared to run the ball. That's something that no running back should feel.' Williams' season ended in week five due to a shoulder injury that sent him to IR (he averaged under three yards a carry when on the field during 2012).BAL: Bernard Pierce has fully recovered from the bone bruise in his knee that bothered him during the playoffs earlier this year. He's also reportedly gained 10 pounds during offseason training, and now weighs 228 pounds entering the 2013 preseason.BUF: As of March 22, 2013 Fred Jackson was cleared to begin football activities again - 'I'm on track, ready to go. I'm trying to hit the ground running and do as much as I can. I've been cleared by all the doctors so I'm ready to get back into it.' Jackson spent much of 2012 on the sidelines due to LCL and MCL sprains in his right knee.CAR: Jonathan Stewart was forced out of the Panthers' lineup from week 12 onwards during 2012 due to a left ankle injury. Corrective surgery was performed on the ankle January 19, 2013. Stewart was limited in the Panthers' OTAs during late May and isn't expected to get into practices until training camp. Stewart has a history of ankle and foot injury issues - fantasy owners need to watch his rehabilitation this summer carefully before investing a pick in this particular running back.CHI: Michael Bush was placed on IR December 18, 2012 due to injured ribs. He should be ready for training camp having had months to rehab his ribs.CIN: Bernard Scott tore his left ACL in October 2012, and watched his team draft Giovani Bernard in the April NFL draft. Though Scott received medical clearance on March 18, 2013 to begin running, cutting and doing explosive weight training, he has probably worn out his welcome in Cincinnati after a series of season-ending injuries have derailed his Bengals' career.CIN: Cedric Peerman missed time at the end of last season due to an ankle injury, and didn't play in the team's playoff game. However, he was resigned to a two-year deal in March, so it appears that his ankle is not a concern entering the 2013 preseason.CLE: Trent Richardson had his lower right leg stepped on during organized team activities in late May. At the time, the team said he had a minor muscle strain. However, since then the team has become concerned that the injury could become a stress fracture, and head coach Rod Chudzinski confirmed on June 4 that Richardson will be held out of further practices until training camp starts in August. Footballguys.com's resident doctor, Jene Bramel, suspects that the lower right leg injury is in fact a bone bruise that could develop into a stress fracture. In any case, bone bruises can take anywhere from a few days to months to heal - this situation will be an ongoing item to watch once training camps open. Additionally, Richardson suffered multiple cracked ribs last season (week six) and played through the injury thereafter - he has indicated (April 14, 2013) that he may have 'lingering pain' from that injury going forwards, though he seemed to walk back that statement on April 16. DAL: DeMarco Murray partially participated in practice on May 30, doing individual drills on the side of the field. He appears to be recovering from the hamstring pull that limited him earlier in the month, and is expected to be fine for practices later in the summer.DEN: Willis McGahee was expected to participate in the AFC Championship game last January (if the Broncos had made it that far) - he spent the last 1/3 of the season recovering from a torn right MCL/knee surgery and a compression fracture in the same leg. As of February 22, 2013 Broncos team president John Elway would only say that the team was 'still evaluating' McGahee as he continued his recovery from the leg injury - and the team drafted Montee Ball in April providing the Broncos with another 'big back' option. It remains to be seen if McGahee will be on the roster for Denver this year - there is wide speculation that his roster spot is in jeopardy.DEN: Knowshon Moreno had arthroscopic surgery on his right knee early this offseason after injuring it in the third quarter of the divisional playoff game. He reportedly had stem cells from his pelvis injected into the right knee in an attempt to regenerate the tissues that were damaged. As of May 20, 2013 Moreno was not medically cleared to participate in the first round of Denver organized team activities. On June 1, head coach John Fox commented on Moreno's situation saying 'He's coming along. We're going to be very cautious. When the doctors give him the full-go go-ahead, he'll be doing everything.'DET: Mikel LeShoure missed OTAs during May due to a hamstring pull, and he may not be ready to return to practices for awhile longer, according to remarks from head coach Jim Schwartz on June 4, 2013: '[it's taking] maybe a little bit longer than we would've thought... We'll get him back there soon. He's working hard, he's just not working on the field.'GB: Alex Green stated on May 14, 2013 that he never fully recovered from his October 2011 ACL surgery last season: 'I came back, I got close to it, but once I got close, then I had a couple setbacks. I was never really quite where I wanted to be, but I made great strides in the off-season. I'm definitely getting ready for this year.' The Packers drafted Eddie Lacy and Johnathan Franklin in the April draft, putting Green's future with the Packers in doubt.GB: Eddie Lacy's toe surgery (that caused him to fall in the April draft) is no longer a concern according to the Crimson Tide's team doctor E. Lyle Cain Jr. said on May 10 that the 'window of legitimate concern has passed.' Said Cain, 'If you fused it completely, it'd give you a stiff big toe and you can't push off and that's a big problem. In Eddie's case, he does not have that. His fusion does not affect his big-toe motion.' On May 29, Green Bay signed Lacy to a four-year contract.GB: James Starks struggled with a knee injury during 2012, and ended up playing in just six games - the Packers drafted Eddie Lacy and Johnathan Franklin in the April draft, putting Starks future with the Packers in jeopardy.HOU: Arian Foster left the organized team activity on May 28, 2013 due to a strained calf. An MRI was subsequently performed. Head coach Gary Kubiak called it a 'pretty good calf strain' on May 29, but asserted that Foster is 'going to be fine'. Foster will be getting treatment in the months leading up to training camp - he is expected to be ready for the start of training camp.IND: Donald Brown ended the 2012 season by landing on IR December 11, 2012 due to an ankle sprain (suspected to be a high ankle sprain). He should be fully recovered as of June, 2013 but Browns' injury history and the emergence of Vick Ballard as the lead back for the Colts has depressed Browns' fantasy outlook entering the 2013 preseason.IND: On March 26, 2013 head coach Chuck Pagano commented that Delone Carter needed to stay healthier during 2013 - then on May 23, news broke that Carter had recently undergone shoulder surgery of unspecified extent. We'll see if Carter can get healthy in time for training camp - he may be on the roster bubble this year and missing time during OTAs due to the shoulder situation isn't going to help Carter stick on the roster.JAX: Maurice Jones-Drew suffered a Lisfranc fracture in his left foot during week seven of 2012. He eventually got corrective surgery (but it wasn't until the last Friday of 2012). He was reportedly out of shape at the beginning of spring organized team activities, and has only been able to run at 75% speed so far this year. On May 14, he commented 'Lately, it's been one day on, a day off, two days on, a day off — it's part of the process. I'm closer than I think. I just want to take my time and make sure we do it the right way.' Jones-Drew is said to be on pace to be ready for the open of training camp as of early June, but it remains to be seen if he'll be able to go full speed when camp gets underway.KC: Jamaal Charles suffered a minor toe injury during early-June OTAs but was practicing in full again as of June 4, 2013 - X-rays showed that the injury wasn't serious and Charles' quick return to practice bears out that finding.MIN: Adrian Peterson had sports hernia surgery in the first week of February 2013 - he said on May 29, 2013 that he was almost 100% recovered and that he is lifting more weights than ever now. The hernia surgery appears to be a non issue heading into training camp.NE: Stevan Ridley has fully recovered from the severe concussion he suffered in the AFC Championship game last January. As of May 3, 2013, Ridley commented 'I thank the Lord that I'm healthy and brought me back. All I can do now is move forward from that, but it was a nice hit that I took. Just got to shake it off. Comes with the game. It was one of the worst ones that I took in my life. I'll be out here this year ready to go.' Given the NFL's heightened sensitivity to concussions, a prior concussion history (such as Ridley now has) could lead to weeks off the field if he suffers a subsequent concussion during 2013.NO: Pierre Thomas missed the final game of the 2012 season due to a knee injury - however, he is expected to be part of the mix at running back for 2013. Thomas addressed the team's plans on May 8, 2013 saying '[Coach Payton] said we've got to get back to running the ball, having 100-yard games non-stop. I can't wait. I'm excited and I know everybody else is excited.'NYG: Andre Brown was placed on IR/designated to return on November 26, 2012 due to a broken fibula. He didn't get back on the field as the Giants' season ended before he was eligible to return. However, Brown was re-signed to a one-year, $2.023 million contract on April 23, 2013, and is reported to be the Giant's short-yardage/goal-line back for 2013. The broken fibula appears to be a thing of the past.OAK: As of April 7, 2013 Darren McFadden reported that he was 100% healthy after suffering a high-ankle sprain during the 2012 season. McFadden enters a contract season this year, so he's got a lot of incentive to stay healthy.OAK: Rashad Jennings landed on IR December 25, 2012 due to a shoulder injury suffered the week prior - he was also sidelined during 2012 due to a concussion/concussion after-effects. However, the Raiders decided he was healthy enough to sign him to a deal on April 10, 2013.SD: Ryan Mathews broke his collarbone (again) in week 15 against the Carolina Panthers - he has broken both sides of the collarbone entering the 2013 preseason. He is expected to be ready for full participation in the team's offseason program and preseason/training camp - new Chargers' GM Tom Telesco said on May 3 (a conference call with season ticket holders) that he believes in Mathews and expects 'big things' during 2013. It remains to be seen if Mathews can live up to the GM's expectations, but the team hasn't picked up another starting-caliber back so as long as Mathews can stay healthy he should have a lot of work during 2013.WRBAL: Jacoby Jones underwent an arthroscopic 'cleanup' procedure on one of his knees after the Super Bowl, but he is expected to be 100% healthy for the team's practices during the preseason (he was on 'Dancing with the Stars' shortly after the procedure). BUF: Stevie Johnson strained his back during OTAs in April, and missed some of the sessions in May, but returned to participate on May 28, and reports from that session indicated that his range of motion looked good - this back strain appears to be a minor concern as of early June.CIN: Mohamed Sanu suffered a stress fracture in his left foot that was surgically repaired in the first week of December, 2012. As of April 15, 2013 Sanu declared himself 100% recovered from the surgery, and said on May 21 that '"I feel real strong and explosive. It felt great to be back out there on the field doing the things I was doing last year: running routes full speed, stopping and going, run blocking, catching balls again.'CLE: Davone Bess suffered a back injury that forced him out of the final three games of the 2012 season. However, he was signed by the Browns (to a three-year extension) after a trade with Miami during the 2013 NFL draft. He is currently penciled in as the #3 wide receiver behind Josh Gordon and Greg Little. DAL: Though Miles Austin played in 16 games last season, he was hampered by hip and hamstring issues during the year. During 2013, Austin is reportedly focusing on training to enhance his chances of avoiding the same issues again: 'I'm definitely strengthening my hamstrings a lot more than I have been. Doing a different routine, a couple of extra exercises each day on our leg days' he reported on May 28, 2013.DET: Ryan Broyles suffered a torn right ACL on December 2, 2013, and underwent reconstructive knee surgery on December 7, 2012. As of May 29, 2013 the team stated that Broyles was making good progress in his rehabilitation, but the team hasn't set a return date for Broyles just yet. Broyles did participate in individual drills during the Lions late May OTAs.DET: Nate Burleson was placed on IR October 24, 2013 due to a broken leg. He was able to come to an agreement with the team on a restructured contract as of February 21, 2013, and he has been reported to be well ahead of the usual timetable for recovering from his injury. As of May 22, he was fully participating in OTAs, and is considered a favorite to be the #2 wide receiver across from Calvin Johnson during 2013.GB: Jordy Nelson suffered from a pulled hamstring and a sprained ankle during 2012, missing four games and playing in parts of others. However, he is reportedly healed up from those nagging injuries entering the summer practice sessions (as of May 30, 2013).HOU: DeVier Posey suffered a torn Achilles tendon during the Texans' playoff game in January - he had surgery to repair the injury on January 19, 2013. Head coach Gary Kubiak has spoken about Posey as being a possible contributor to the offense by mid-season - on June 4, Kubiak said 'How early is the question. We’re making a decision on him at the end of camp because of the PUP and those type of things.' Most observers expect Posey to start the season on the PUP list, making him undraftable in redraft fantasy leagues.IND: As of May 29, Darrius Heyward-Bey was sitting out of his new team's OTAs due to a sore hamstring - the team reportedly considered the injury minor, but was acting out of an abundance of caution by holding Heyward-Bey out.JAX: Cecil Shorts was placed on IR for the final week of the 2012 season after suffering his second concussion in three weeks during December. Shorts was subsequently cleared for football activities on January 25, 2013. However, due to the league's heightened sensitivity to concussions (especially players with a history of concussions), the series of concussions Shorts sustained last December is an item to keep in mind when drafting this season.JAX: Mohamed Massaquoi managed to play in just nine games last season, and he landed on IR December 24, 2012 due to a knee injury. He was subsequently signed by Jacksonville on April 5, 2013 - presumably his knee is back to 100% healthy entering preseason. However, it is worth remembering that Massaquoi hasn't played a full slate of 16 games per season over the past three years.KC: Dexter McCluster suffered a hamstring injury during mid-May OTAs, but he did return to practice on May 30, 2013. As of early June, the hamstring issue appears to have been a mild injury.KC: Donnie Avery has missed most of the early June OTAs due to a high ankle sprain. He is expected to recover in time for training camp.MIN: Greg Jennings resumed practicing with his new teammates as of June 4, 2013, after missing some time during OTAs due to a sore ankle. The injury is considered minor as of early June.NE: Despite missing 20 games for the Rams over the past two years due to injury (the most recent problem was a heel injury that limited Danny Amendola at the end of the 2012 season), Amendola was signed to a five year contract with $10 million guaranteed by the Patriots on March 15, 2013. We'll see if the $2.5 million in per-game roster bonuses contained in the deal help Amendola play through the nagging injuries that often sidelined him while in St. Louis.NE: Julian Edelman was reported in April, 2013 to be fully healed from a broken foot suffered during December 2012. However, he re-injured the foot on May 7, 2013 and has been wearing a walking boot since then. As of May 31, 2013, Edelman has a one-year, no-guaranteed-money contract for 2013 and he's missing time in OTAs due to his latest injury.NE: Donald Jones (signed by New England March 15, 2013) was placed on the non-football injury list by the Bills (his former team) on December 18, 2012. In the course of announcing they weren't going to re-sign him (February 7, 2013) the team said his illness was 'a medical condition that he's had since college'. Neither Jones nor the team have given specifics about what the medical condition he's struggled with actually is.NO: Nick Toon was placed on IR August 31, 2012 due to a nagging foot injury that dated back to his days in college (two left foot surgeries have been performed to correct the injury). He is expected to fight for a backup roster spot in New Orleans this year, though - he said on April 12, 2013 that he is ready to go for 2013.NYG: Hakeem Nicks struggled to stay healthy during 2012 due to a left knee injury, which he finally had arthroscopically repaired in February of this year. 'I think not having Hakeem 100 percent for most of the season, really the last 10 weeks, can hurt,' Eli Manning said on January 4, 2013. 'And he's out there playing hurt, and you love that toughness about it, that he wants to be out there. But it just made it tough when you're starting a receiver who's gotta win one-on-one matchups and your deep threat and your playmaker all of a sudden kinda isn’t making the deep plays and the big plays. It can be tough to adjust to that. And I think just our timing was off.' Nicks has avoided participating in voluntary OTAs so far this year, so the stability of the knee is still to be determined.NYJ: Clyde Gates was knocked out of the final game of the 2012 season due to a head injury - he had missed time earlier in the year due to a concussion, so there is a troubling pattern emerging for this player, especially given the NFL's high level of sensitivity to concussions/post-concussion after-effects in recent years. Players who have suffered one concussion are often more susceptible to repeat injuries of this type. NYJ: Stephen Hill had surgery to repair a LCL injury to his right knee on December 21, 2012. He has participated in the recent OTAs during early June, but the teams' medical staff pulled him out on June 5, 2013. 'I was (expected to be cleared by now),' Hill said Wednesday, June 5. 'I was going through some team workouts. At first it kind of swelled up on me a little bit and (the trainer) was like, 'we don't need this to happen at all.'' The team hopes Hill can participate in the mid-June minicamp, but the knee is clearly not 100% as of June 5.NYJ: Jets head coach Rex Ryan said on June 5, 2013 that there is a chance that Santonio Holmes (foot/Lisfranc injury) could start training camp on the Physically Unable to Perform list. Holmes has had two surgeries on the Lisfranc injury since week four of the 2012 season, and he is looking iffy for at least part of training camp as of early June.NYJ: Jeremy Kerley was 'backed down' in practice on June 5, 2013 due to what was described as a 'slight' heel issue. Kerley suffered from heel problems during the 2012 season, so this is an item that bears watching - especially since Stephen Hill and Santonio Holmes are both still recovering from their 2012 corrective surgeries.OAK: Jacoby Ford had Lisfranc surgery on his left foot on September 12, 2012 and was subsequently placed on IR. He was out of his walking boot on December 4, 2012 and as of April 18, 2013 was reported to be 100% healed from his most recent Lisfranc fracture (Ford has suffered two such injuries so far in his short NFL career). PHI: Arrelious Benn realizes he needs to stay healthier if he's going to have a chance at a roster spot with the Eagles - he stated on March 22: 'I'll be honest with you, I don't like my career (to this point). I got to stay healthy. I haven't stayed healthy... And when I was healthy and out there, I made plays, and I was consistent.' We'll see if the change of scenery helps Benn play more consistently during 2013. He landed on IR November 22, 2012 due to a MCL sprain that nagged him throughout the 2012 season and also a shoulder injury suffered early in the season.PHI: DeSean Jackson landed on IR November 27, 2012 due to two fractured ribs suffered in the Monday Night Football game on November 26, 2012. He has been participating in spring OTAs so far, though, and as of early June he appears to be fully recovered from the ribs' injuries.SD: Keenan Allen fully participated at the May 10, 2013 Chargers rookie minicamp - it appears that he is almost fully recovered from a left PCL tear suffered in October 2012. On April 26, 2013 Allen referred to the knee as '90%' healed - he appears to be on pace to fully participate in training camp later this summer.SD: Vincent Brown missed the entire 2012 season due to a broken ankle suffered during training camp in August, 2012. As of May 20, 2013 Brown was declared 100% recovered from the broken ankle, and as of June 3, 2013 he was getting rotated in the Chargers' starting wide receiver rotation during organized team activities. It appears that the ankle injury is a thing of the past as of early June.SD: Malcom Floyd was placed on IR December 18, 2012 due to a high ankle sprain. He should be fine for the start of training camp.SEA: Percy Harvin sat out organized team activities the first week of June due to what head coach Pete Carroll said was 'a little bit of a hip flexor' issue that has been bothering the receiver. However, Carroll doesn't seem concerned, and said Harvin's fitness was good. 'We're trying to get him back next week, so we rested him a couple days. He's done tons of work and looks great. We have no question what he can do and where he's fitting and he understands the offense,' Carroll said.SF: Michael Crabtree tore his Achilles tendon during OTAs and is out for the 2013 season (he might return to action if the 49ers are in the playoffs again next winter, but for fantasy purposes Crabtree is out of commission for 2013).SF: Mario Manningham tore his left ACL and PCL during week 16 action last season, and was placed on IR Friday, December 28, 2012. He is expected to miss training camp this season, and may end up on PUP to begin regular season, though Manningham insists that he is targeting week one of regular season for his return.TEN: Kenny Britt struggled to produce during 2012 as he returned from a right ACL/MCL reconstruction, a follow-up procedure on that knee, and then a meniscus cartilage injury in his left knee. However, as of June 2, 2013 he has reportedly looked explosive during OTAs. On June 2, fellow wide receiver Kendall Wright said 'Kenny is healthy and he’s doing good. He looks way different. He took his offseason serious and went and got his knees right.'WAS: Pierre Garcon elected NOT to have surgery on the torn ligaments during the offseason (there was no guarantee that the surgery would fix the problem), and as of June 6, 2013 Garcon is planning to wear special shoes designed to protect the affected portion of his foot. In short, Garcon is going to try and manage the pain of his injury. 'I have to learn a lot about my foot and how I run and things like that with all these injuries, but it's getting better.'WAS: Josh Morgan had operations on both of his hands (to repair ligament issues) and a surgery on his right ankle (reportedly to clean up fragments left in the joint from a severe break suffered in October 2011) during the early months of 2013. Morgan said on May 26, 2013 that he felt the ' best I've felt since about 2009.'TEBUF: Scott Chandler tore his ACL in week 16 of the 2012 season, and had reconstructive surgery on January 10, 2013. The injury was described as a 'straight forward' ACL tear, and his rehabilitation has gone well. Chandler believes he'll be ready for the first week of training camp (which my be too optimistic) but all indications out of Buffalo are that he'll be ready for week one of regular season.CLE: Jordan Cameron appeared to injure his left hamstring during practice Wednesday, June 5. He had his left leg wrapped after the injury occurred and sat out the rest of the practice.DEN: Joel Dreessen underwent arthroscopic surgery at the end of May to 'clean up' his knee.Coach John Fox termed it 'just a little knee procedure, scope, done, just to clean it up.' Dreessen is expected to be ready for the start of training camp.DEN: Julius Thomas has struggled to get his right ankle healthy again since his April 2012 surgery to repair ligaments in the ankle. On May 30, 2013 head coach John Fox indicated that Joel Dreessen's recent arthroscopic procedure on his knee would allow Thomas a chance to get on the field and show what he could do - we'll see if Thomas' ankle will stand up to the stresses of practicing.DET: Brandon Pettigrew was hobbled by a sprained ankle during the final weeks of the 2012 season, but was active for the season finale after his ankle 'responded well' to treatment. He's the lead tight end for the Lions entering the summer practice sessions.HOU: Garrett Graham suffered a concussion in early January, but was still active for the January 13 divisional playoff game with the Patriots. While he is apparently recovered from the concussion, a concussion history can be problematic if he suffers a subsequent concussion, as the league has a high degree of sensitivity to this injury nowadays.KC: Tony Moeaki had arthroscopic surgery on a knee after the conclusion of the 2012 season, and he has been ruled out of OTAs this summer as a result. He is considered questionable for the start of training camp - Moeaki has a history of knee troubles and this is just the most recent of multiple knee surgeries (he's also had his ACL reconstructed during his NFL career). The Chiefs signed Anthony Fasano to a four year, $16 million deal during free agency (a signal that Moeaki's knee is a real concern for the team).MIA: Charles Clay had surgery to repair a knee ligament on January 7, 2013. On May 14, he indicated that he is 100% recovered from the surgery: 'I’m good and ready to go.'.NE: Rob Gronkowski is recovering from forearm surgery and soon will have a back surgery as of early June - he is looking iffy for training camp, and perhaps even the start of regular season. There is a lot of uncertainty about Gronkowski's status for 2013 right now.NE: Aaron Hernandez underwent arthroscopic surgery on his shoulder in early April - despite speculation he could miss time in training camp, Hernandez was spotted catching passes during OTAs Tuesday, June 4. He is expected to be ready for the start of training camp as of early June, assuming no complications with his recovery.NE: Jake Ballard is about 16 months removed from his ACL injury/surgery and as of May 31 he was reported to be near 100% healthy. If Rob Gronkowski (forearm, back surgeries) can't play at the start of the season Ballard would likely step into Gronkowski's role on the field.NO: Jimmy Graham underwent wrist surgery in January, 2013. He is reportedly fully recovered from the procedure, though - as of June 4, he was participating fully in OTAs and looks set to go for training camp.PIT: Heath Miller tore his right ACL, PCL, and MCL December 23, 2012 and had reconstructive surgery on December 27, 2012. As of May 22, 2013 Miller didn't have a timetable for his return, but he stated on May 22 that there was a chance he'd be ready for week 1 of the 2013 season. 'I’m running now. I'm doing everything. I'm not at full speed, but I've been able to do everything that they’ve asked me to do. So, I'm pleased and encouraged. It's been a long process... But I'm going to keep taking it one day at a time and get better every day.'PIT: Matt Spaeth had arthroscopic knee surgery on January 11, 2013. The procedure was considered minor, and Pittsburgh signed him to a two-year contract on March 15, 2013 - he is expected to be ready for the first day of training camp.SEA: Zach Miller suffered a torn plantar fascia in the January 13, 2013 divisional round playoff loss to the Falcons. He should recover from the injury in time for training camp, but as we've seen with Antonio Gates and Pierre Garcon during recent years, foot injuries can become long-term issues. Fantasy owners should monitor Miller's participation (or lack thereof) in the summer practice sessions before training camp.TB: Tom Crabtree was forced out of the Packers' December 16, 2012 game due to a sore hamstring, and he missed the final games of the 2012 season due to the injury. He did return to action during the playoffs, though, and was signed to a two-year deal by the Buccaneers on March 15, 2013.TEN: Delanie Walker missed some OTA practices in early June due to a sore knee, but he received good news from the MRI that was performed on the knee - there is no serious concern with the knee and he should be able to participate in upcoming summer practice sessions.WAS: Fred Davis landed on IR October 22, 2012 due to a torn Achilles tendon. He had corrective surgery shortly thereafter - Davis was re-signed by the Redskins on March 29, 2013. He has partially participated in late May OTAs, and stated at the time he was 90% recovered from the injury. Davis is expected to be ready for training camp, though head coach Mike Shanahan is electing to hold Davis out of early June OTAs.PKBUF: Rian Lindell suffered a shoulder injury in November 2012, and was placed on IR December 8, 2012. He was re-signed by the team February 3, 2013, but then the team drafted Dustin Hopkins during the annual NFL draft. Lindell will face a camp battle with Hopkins in August.CHI: Robbie Gould is on track to be medically cleared for practices as of May 20, 2013. He suffered a torn tendon in his calf week 14 last season, but is expected to be fine for the 2013 training camp.CIN: Mike Nugent was hampered by a right calf injury during the final month of the 2012 season, and was placed on IR December 28, 2012. However, the Bengals re-signed him to a two-year deal in March - his calf injury must be a thing of the past.DET: David Akers hasn't kicked much at OTAs as of May 30 and isn't at 100% healthy as of early June. He's had a series of groin/hernia surgeries dating back to 2012, and is trying to avoid aggravating his groin again this year after his most recent groin surgery in March of this year.HOU: Randy Bullock missed his entire rookie season due to a groin tear (he landed on IR August 26, 2012). As of May 15, Bullock stated 'I feel great. I've been cleared... (I'm) working out and doing everything normal. It feels good.'MIA: Dan Carpernter was placed on IR December 21, 2012 due to a groin injury, marking the second straight season he's been forced out due to a groin injury. The Dolphins drafted Caleb Sturgis in the fifth round of the 2013 draft, and he is reported to be the heavy favorite to win the kicking job in training camp.

Last edited by a moderator:
unpinning this now as the injury review article will be pay content going forwards this summer. Thanks to all who checked into the thread and read.

Mark Wimer

Users who are viewing this thread