What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** 2013 Official Philadelphia Eagles - NFC EAST CHAMPS*** (1 Viewer)

If Dal lose to Den and we beat the Giants we are tied for 1st place in the div...

Lose to the Giants and we are in last place...

Last edited by a moderator:
This doesn't sound good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-8W5vVj7Ww

2010 Freeman had accuracy, the ability to escape the rush in the pocket, and create something with his legs out of the pocket. 2013 Freeman has none of those characteristics. Not sure if it is because of (alleged) drugs, the weight of his hidden (alleged) homosexuality coming to bear, or that he's just not a committed professional, but this isn't the same guy who looked like a budding superstar in the video above.

This doesn't sound good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-8W5vVj7Ww

2010 Freeman had accuracy, the ability to escape the rush in the pocket, and create something with his legs out of the pocket. 2013 Freeman has none of those characteristics. Not sure if it is because of (alleged) drugs, the weight of his hidden (alleged) homosexuality coming to bear, or that he's just not a committed professional, but this isn't the same guy who looked like a budding superstar in the video above.
Weird, I didn't hear about the gay rumours at all

What herb said. Outside of Desean the WRs ####### suck. Without Maclin they need 2 more WRs for this offense. Especially when they refuse to get Ertz involved and Celek has crossed over to sucking into his retirement days.
I think they need to give Maehl a shot with the ones this week. I never liked Cooper and I think a quick and shifty wide receiver could do some damage in this offense.
Jeff Maehl.

So what do you Eagles fans think of him? he had pulled in a nice TD grab there. Ex-Duck, Kelly traded for him to boot.

Also, Damaris Johnson.

He's always seemed to have great speed, moves, talent?

Any reason these guys aren't getting in there over Avant & Cooper? Is it strictly the blocking?

Cue up the QB controversy? I'll say this: if Vick had Foles brain in his body, he'd be the best QB in the league maybe. Foles just seems to really understand the offense more. He can make anticipatory throws but just doesn't have the arm or legs of Vick.

At the very least it's not a disaster if Foles has to play for awhile.

Cue up the QB controversy? I'll say this: if Vick had Foles brain in his body, he'd be the best QB in the league maybe. Foles just seems to really understand the offense more. He can make anticipatory throws but just doesn't have the arm or legs of Vick.

Foles has the arm and brain to be very successful in this league IMO. He's definitely not going to outrun many players, but I have more faith in him passing the ball than I do Vick to be honest.

10 random observations from Eagles-Giants

October 6, 2013, 4:30 pm

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Ten random observations from the Eagles 36-21 win (see Instant Replay) over the Giants Sunday at MetLife Stadium:

Gotta love the way the secondary played Sunday. Yeah, they gave up another 300-yard passing game, their fourth this year. But they were very aggressive to the ball, tackled well, forced turnovers. They finally made plays. Good stuff, especially from Brandon Boykin, who picked up his second interception of the season, and Nate Allen, who has actually put together a stretch of three fairly decent games. At this point, youre just looking for progress, and we saw that Sunday.

Heck of a performance from Nick Foles, who doesnt get first-team reps during the week and had only thrown five passes all year. He was a little spotty early but got into a rhythm in the second half and read the field extremely well and threw the ball accurately. Should he be starting when Michael Vick is healthy? Im not ready to say that yet. This offense is much more difficult to defend when Vick is out there. But I like what I saw. Foles finished 15-for-24 for 186 yards, two touchdowns, no interceptions or fumbles and a 114.2 passer rating. Good stuff.

OK, sorry, but one gripe here. Somebody has to explain this to me. Huge drive. Eagles clinging to a 19-14 lead but the momentum swinging over to the Giants, and the first two plays of the Eagles next drive were a Bryce Brown run and a throw to Bryce Brown? Brown gained minus-one yard on the run and dropped the pass, as he is prone to do. I just dont get why on the biggest drive or the game up to that point, Brown is on the field and not LeSean McCoy. Im all for a change-of-pace guy, but not then. Not there.

One other gripe. Im starting to wonder about Trent Cole. Five games in, hes still without a sack. After averaging 11 sacks a year from 2006 through 2011, he has just three in 21 games since opening day last year. Still love his effort. But hes just not getting to the quarterback. He turned 31 on Saturday, and you just wonder how much he has left.

If the Eagles ever figure out their red-zone issues, this offense will be very difficult to stop. Nobody has shut them down yet. In fact, the Eagles on Sunday became first team in NFL history to open a season with five straight games with 430 or more total yards. Nobody in the history of the game has moved the ball as consistently and productively as this team. And theyre only going to get better.

DeSean Jackson really showed his maturity the last two weeks, when the ball didnt come his way. After opening the season with games of 104 and 193 yards, he had just 62 vs. the Chiefs and 34 in Denver. Maybe in the past you would have sensed frustration from D-Jack, but not this year. He put his head down and kept working and it paid off with another big game Sunday, 7-for-132. He now has 525 yards through five games, on his way to a career year. Nice to see. Jackson now has 18 career 100-yard games, fourth-most in Eagles history and just five fewer than Pete Retzlaff.

Still waiting for Fletcher Cox to make a big play. We all keep saying its only a matter of time until hes a stud, but 21 games into his NFL career, were still waiting. Right now, he just looks like another guy. He hasnt been bad, but he just hasnt been a special player. Not what you need from the 12th player in the draft. Hes only 22, so you figure itll come. But it hasnt yet.

It was nice to see the Eagles finish a game for a change. They were up a point going into the fourth quarter, then really took over on both sides of the football, dominating the hapless Giants in the final quarter. This is only the second time since 1996 the Eagles have scored 14 or more points in a fourth quarter and not allowed any and only fourth time in the last four years theyve even scored 14 points in a fourth quarter. Before Sunday, the Eagles had been outscored 46-24 in the final quarter this year. Encouraging to see them close somebody out.

Good to see Alex Henery make all five of his field-goal attempts but they ranged from 27 to 41 yards. I still need to see him bang through a bunch of kicks in the 45-to-50 range to really feel confident in the kid.

Final note: If I had to name an Eagles defensive MVP through five games, it would probably be Brandon Boykin. Maybe Cedric Thornton. But I just think Boykin is going to be a terrific player in this league. Hes always had the athleticism and speed, but hes really starting to build confidence and make plays.

Not many Qb's have the arm or legs of Vick.

Is it entirely unreasonable to send Cooper and a mid round pick to CLE for Josh Gordon?
I'd be all for it and then some, but I'd say the chances of that going down were eliminated with the current 2 game streak they have going. I'd be surprised if they are still accepting offers at this point for Gordon. Then again, who knows. If you read through the last page its clear that WR isn't the problem, because Cooper has the same measurables as Jordy Nelson and Larry Fitzgerald.
lol nice

@JordanRaanan: Here's a major problem for #Eagles going forward. Their No. 1 pass rusher (in terms of snaps) Trent Cole has 3 sacks in his last 21 games.

@ZBerm: Jeff Maehl took 20 snaps -- that's 25 percent of offensive plays. Cooper took 62 snaps, that's 77 percent. That's a significant change

@ZBerm: Cooper had played 93 percent of the snaps in the first 4 weeks. Maehl had played 7 percent. Something to watch moving forward.

Cooper was non existent even with Foles playing more than half the game. Can we just end it with Cooper as an NFL wr? I'd like to see if anyone else can play out there.

Cooper was non existent even with Foles playing more than half the game. Can we just end it with Cooper as an NFL wr? I'd like to see if anyone else can play out there.
Uhh.. No. (3:11) third quarter should have been a TD. Foles missed him deep left. That was his lone target. Nice to see Foles "go for it" like I whined about Vick last week. He was open on more plays vs this secondary. Foles just has a a way of hitting the guy thats "more open." I still think Foles + Cooper will work out. I wish I didn't see it so I wouldn't have too defend the guy, but it's coming.

@JordanRaanan: Here's a major problem for #Eagles going forward. Their No. 1 pass rusher (in terms of snaps) Trent Cole has 3 sacks in his last 21 games.
Too bad he's doesn't have the same responsibilitys as a 4-3 DE anymore. He didn't do much vs NY but wth is that guy watching. He's been great vs the run.

I agree about Cooper. We are horrible at #2 receiver. Desean is exciting and has great big play ability at #1, and Avant is a dependable #3 and possesion guy. But not having Maclin is killing us. Cooper just isn't a playmaker. He's rarely open.

Uhh.. No. (3:11) third quarter should have been a TD. Foles missed him deep left. That was his lone target. Nice to see Foles "go for it" like I whined about Vick last week. He was open on more plays vs this secondary. Foles just has a a way of hitting the guy thats "more open." I still think Foles + Cooper will work out. I wish I didn't see it so I wouldn't have too defend the guy, but it's coming.
jeebus just stop. Vick doesn't throw to him and its Vick's fault because with cooper's measurables, Vick should be able to "throw him open".. Foles doesn't throw to him and its because "Foles just has a way of hitting the guy that's more open". What does that even mean? How is that different than Vick hitting a more open Celek/Desean/etc? Isn't it possible that Cooper just doesn't get open?

Whelp, you'll see when Foles is under center via injuries or boo birds. Don't write Cooper off until he can actually work with someone that can utilize his skills. He'll be moving the chains and being hit with the ball in stride, not consintly breaking routs to get open while Vick is holding the football
Foles was under center via injury. He threw the ball 25 times, completing 16 passes for 197 yards and 2 TD's in a little over a half of football. Cooper was targeted once and ended with 0/0.

Too bad he's doesn't have the same responsibilitys as a 4-3 DE anymore. He didn't do much vs NY but wth is that guy watching. He's been great vs the run.
As much as I like him, he heads my list of people who should be dealt for picks. He's not going to be on the team next year so we should see what we can get at the deadline.

jeebus just stop. Vick doesn't throw to him and its Vick's fault because with cooper's measurables, Vick should be able to "throw him open".. Foles doesn't throw to him and its because "Foles just has a way of hitting the guy that's more open". What does that even mean? How is that different than Vick hitting a more open Celek/Desean/etc? Isn't it possible that Cooper just doesn't get open?
Whelp, you'll see when Foles is under center via injuries or boo birds. Don't write Cooper off until he can actually work with someone that can utilize his skills. He'll be moving the chains and being hit with the ball in stride, not consintly breaking routs to get open while Vick is holding the football
Foles was under center via injury. He threw the ball 25 times, completing 16 passes for 197 yards and 2 TD's in a little over a half of football. Cooper was targeted once and ended with 0/0.
Lol it's a one game sample. You think he'll get 1 target per game from here on out? I'll take the over. Supposedly the entire TE/WR core couldn't get seperation. My stance was Cooper/Avant/Celek would work better with a QB with more touch and anticipation and the issues with the passing game, not just Cooper, was Vick. DJax works with any QB when his head is on straight. If anything I feel validated after the last game. On a day where Foles could have completed 80+% of his passes you can't fault him for missing a pass deep towards the left sideline, nor could you want Cooper cut for burning his man for what would have been a easy 31 yard TD. There were other plays where Cooper was open but Foles went elsewhere, particularly to a open DJax. That's not going to happen every week. He avg .4 TDs a game with Foles last season. The year before he avg close to 70 ypg when he started. I thought that would be enough to be considered competent, I guess not. Its coming. Just wait on it.

Bigboy10182000 said:
ShaHBucks said:
Bigboy10182000 said:
As much as I like him, he heads my list of people who should be dealt for picks. He's not going to be on the team next year so we should see what we can get at the deadline.
Yea, I get you. I just think it's bad reporting that he's getting negative pub for something that's not even his primary job any longer.

ShaHBucks said:
unckeyherb said:
ShaHBucks said:
Insein said:
Lol it's a one game sample. You think he'll get 1 target per game from here on out? I'll take the over.Supposedly the entire TE/WR core couldn't get seperation. My stance was Cooper/Avant/Celek would work better with a QB with more touch and anticipation and the issues with the passing game, not just Cooper, was Vick. DJax works with any QB when his head is on straight. If anything I feel validated after the last game. On a day where Foles could have completed 80+% of his passes you can't fault him for missing a pass deep towards the left sideline, nor could you want Cooper cut for burning his man for what would have been a easy 31 yard TD. There were other plays where Cooper was open but Foles went elsewhere, particularly to a open DJax. That's not going to happen every week. He avg .4 TDs a game with Foles last season. The year before he avg close to 70 ypg when he started. I thought that would be enough to be considered competent, I guess not. Its coming. Just wait on it.
okay man. We'll just agree to disagree. My guess is that Cooper did decently last year because of a host of things. Defenses crowding Lesean/Brown and dropping into single coverage and the fact that Desean and Maclin and probably Celek would draw the better coverage options than Cooper. In that role, Cooper can produce.

My contention from the get-go is that Cooper is not an NFL WR2. Nothing you've said, nor what I've seen with Vick and Foles, has convinced me otherwise. My guess/hope is that you start to see his role diminished as the coaches start trying to involve Damaris and maybe even Maehl more.

ETA: I think we've beaten this one up enough. I'll let you get the last word in and put it to bed...

Bigboy10182000 said:
ShaHBucks said:
Bigboy10182000 said:
Yea, I get you. I just think it's bad reporting that he's getting negative pub for something that's not even his primary job any longer.
16 of those games came in a 4-3 (Wide-9) designed to get to the QB though.

I think he has great value for a teams like Seattle, Chicago, Detroit or Cincy. At this point I'd take a 4 for him.

Not many Qb's have the arm or legs of Vick.
Yeah...I don't know where we'd be without his 55% completion percentage

Then there's this about Cole:

@EliotShorrParks: Through five games @PFF has Trent Cole ranked 9th out of 39 outside linebackers in a 3-4 defense. #Eagles

@EliotShorrParks: RT @RoobCSN: Nick Foles threw 3 interceptions in his first 42 career passes. Since then, he's thrown 252 passes with just two interceptions

<shrug> It's worth noting. He had a stretch of over 160 passes last year starting from about his 3rd game with no picks. Vick has done pretty well with that too, so far this year.

I feel Vick shouldn't lose his job to injury either. Credibility as a new head coach is far more important than an extra win or two in his first year. If the coach flip flops on players when they get hurt early on, he could lose the locker room. Now like he said, if Foles comes in and plays like Tom Brady, then all bets are off. Still I called Vick to be out by week 6 and here we are. I say Foles gets at least 4 games this year to showcase himself. Hopefully he builds up a decent enough resume to be attractive to other QB needy teams. I'd like to get a 2nd rounder for him since it seems like he's not Kelly's type of QB.

. Hopefully he builds up a decent enough resume to be attractive to other QB needy teams. I'd like to get a 2nd rounder for him since it seems like he's not Kelly's type of QB.
After AJ Feeley and Kevin Kolb, will any team ever give us a 2nd round pick for a backup Qb that comes in and does well, regardless of how good they look?

. Hopefully he builds up a decent enough resume to be attractive to other QB needy teams. I'd like to get a 2nd rounder for him since it seems like he's not Kelly's type of QB.
After AJ Feeley and Kevin Kolb, will any team ever give us a 2nd round pick for a backup Qb that comes in and does well, regardless of how good they look?
Different regime and never underestimate how desperate teams are for a QB in this league. Minnesota is so desperate they're starting Matt Cassell and think that's an improvement. Jax is probably going to Chad Henne as an improvement. Arizona saw an aging Carson Palmer as an upgrade from the slop they had last year. You can always say they'll just draft another but that's what 2 of those teams already did and failed at it. When you see someone have success in the league already, even if it's only for a few games, teams are willing to take a shot.

If Cooper stinks, what do you guys expect from Avant and the TE going forward with Foles starting?
I'm gonna side-track this a bit.

IF Cooper is this sucky what does it say about the rest of the WR's on thsi team that no one can beat him out?!

I hate to tie this nack to Andy but...

To answer your question, I expect MUCH more from Celek and Ertz with Foles in there.

If Cooper stinks, what do you guys expect from Avant and the TE going forward with Foles starting?
I'm gonna side-track this a bit.

IF Cooper is this sucky what does it say about the rest of the WR's on thsi team that no one can beat him out?!

I hate to tie this nack to Andy but...

To answer your question, I expect MUCH more from Celek and Ertz with Foles in there.
Avant fits his role. He's a short yardage possession receiver. The rest are undrafted free agents. Cooper is trying to be the #2 which is a multi purpose receiver. He's being asked more of him but he is not succeeding so far.

Users who are viewing this thread