What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2014/15 UK Basketball - :pours40out: (1 Viewer)

Tricky game tonight - both teams healthier than the first meeting in Rupp. Lets see if Towns can play more than 5 minutes in the first half...

Local sports radio was talking about some recent articles suggesting that UK, and its use of the 1-and-done players, is ruining college basketball. Of course the irony is that this team is only as dominant as it is because of returning players from last year's runner-up team. The Harrisons, WCS, and even Dakari Johnson and Marcus Lee are a big reason why this team is undefeated so far. If anything, this team shows the value in keeping kids in school a couple of years, not the "dangers" of the 1-and-dones.
Underclassmen who leave early for the draft make up less than 1% of the players in Division I, and there's maybe 10 one-and-dones per year. Even if you limit the scope to the power conferences and top mid-major teams, underclassmen leaving early make up less than 5% of scholarship players.

Easy taking point. Non-issue with the sport.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this team better than Pitino's 1996 Wildcats ?
hard to say...that team had 5 players drafted in the top-20 across two drafts. This team has 4: Towns, WCS, Booker and Lyles, with maybe Dakari sneaking in to the top-20 if he stays another year (Poythress is another wildcard here if he comes back). The '96 team also had more veteran players - Delk was a senior. Generally speaking players today are better than players from 20 years ago - at the same stage.

So, better athletes v. more veteran/physically mature athletes.

This team still has 11 more games to win...

I think people sell the 2012 team short. 1-6 (7 counting Wiltjer) they might have been the best...and were so good at playing fantastic D without fouling they rarely needed more than that.

Lot of guts shown down the stretch...it would have been very easy to go into freak out mode down 9. Instead they pounded it inside, finally started rebounding and defending a little bit, and made plays.

Lot of guts shown down the stretch...it would have been very easy to go into freak out mode down 9. Instead they pounded it inside, finally started rebounding and defending a little bit, and made plays.
This bodes well for them in the postseason, too. A lot more gained from plugging away and grinding out the win than any release of pressure from a loss.

I'm conflicted about this team. On the one hand, it would be nice to witness perfection. On the other hand, it will all be because Calipari is charismatic in the living rooms of recruits. Not his fault that he's a good salesman; it would just be more special if the team that did it was a bunch of gritty kids who grew together over a four-year period instead of a team full of millionaire-in-waiting rentals.

LOVE Cal. His post-game comments were fantastic. "Their 4's and 5's had 28 of the 32 points at half time. That's not on my kids, that's on me."

Ha just saw where a UK fan was in Belichick's seat...

I'm conflicted about this team. On the one hand, it would be nice to witness perfection. On the other hand, it will all be because Calipari is charismatic in the living rooms of recruits. Not his fault that he's a good salesman; it would just be more special if the team that did it was a bunch of gritty kids who grew together over a four-year period instead of a team full of millionaire-in-waiting rentals.
I could see where you are coming from except this group plays so well together. No egos, no selfishness, play defense (well, not so much tonight), seem to be good off the court as well (interview well, good team GPA, no off court issues)

I think you might be underestimating his coaching ability.

As far as X's and O's go, he's a master recruiter.

He is an excellent coach. What makes him great is not just his ability to recruit, but his ability to get those recruits to play together and to play defense.

I've watched nearly every game since he has been at UK, and I haven't once come away thinking his in-game coaching has cost a game and very, very few have I thought he got "out-coached"...and yes that includes the NIT year.

Sorry to say to all the Ky haters out there, but he's a great coach as well. It's clear. He knows how to mesh talent and get them to sacrifice themselves for the team and play great defense. Anyone that doesn't see this has blinders on.

Last edited by a moderator:
He is an excellent coach. What makes him great is not just his ability to recruit, but his ability to get those recruits to play together and to play defense.

I've watched nearly every game since he has been at UK, and I haven't once come away thinking his in-game coaching has cost a game and very, very few have I thought he got "out-coached"...and yes that includes the NIT year.
This is true. I've said it before on this forum but Calipari is an awesome coach. I don't think he's anything better than average X-and Os, but that's all he needs because his recruiting is the best in the biz and like the Prince said above he has the ability to get an elite group buy into the team concept and above all give there all defensively every game. That shouldn't be underestimated. You could give this same group to somebody like Rick Barnes, Scott Drew, or Bruce Weber and they'd have no chance at an undefeated season.

When the Anthony Davis team played so well together, so unselfishly and so good on defense I thought Calipari just got lucky that a bunch of the top talent was also unselfish. Now I think it's something he does. Super valuable skill when you recruit the way he does. I used to be a huge Cal hater, but I can't help but appreciate what he does now.

When the Anthony Davis team played so well together, so unselfishly and so good on defense I thought Calipari just got lucky that a bunch of the top talent was also unselfish. Now I think it's something he does. Super valuable skill when you recruit the way he does. I used to be a huge Cal hater, but I can't help but appreciate what he does now.
Jay Bilas, of all people, has rushed to UK's defense lately. He's gone out of way several times to point out that UK plays real hard on defense, the players have all handled reduced minutes and shots really well, and there haven't been any off-court issues.

He's a better defensive coach than he gets credit for. His UMass teams played really good D.

He's not an innovator on offense, but he is willing to change the playbook midseason to adjust for who is progressing and who isn't.

He's not an innovator on offense,
Whatever happened to the "dribble drive motion offense"??? haven't heard that term since his first year at UK.
Ferris will be here to correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he used it at Memphis because he basically had a lot of guys who were basically between 6-4 and 6-7 with decent ball handling skills who were more or less interchangeable. He's had more traditional bigs since coming to Kentucky, so that's probably where that was scrapped.

He's not an innovator on offense,
Whatever happened to the "dribble drive motion offense"??? haven't heard that term since his first year at UK.
Ferris will be here to correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he used it at Memphis because he basically had a lot of guys who were basically between 6-4 and 6-7 with decent ball handling skills who were more or less interchangeable. He's had more traditional bigs since coming to Kentucky, so that's probably where that was scrapped.
The DDMO works great when you have a primary ballhandler who doesn't need a pick to beat his man out top, and forwards who can beat their man down the court. When you have Derrick Rose or John Wall at PG with guys who can run, it's spectacular. When you have Marquis Teague at PG and Anthony Davis at C, it's borderline coaching malpractice to run the DDMO.

Not the world we live in now bro.

I grew up a UK fan so I'll always be biased, but I just can't see how anyone could bang on the guy about his coaching ability. Getting that many stars to play that well together at that age is amazing. Thinking any other coach could do the same thing with that talent is crazy.

Senior Day at Rupp, and there is an outside chance the Seniors get to play today.

Hopefully UK can jump on Florida early so the walk-ons can get in late.

Here is hoping for a Duke Kentucky Final Four or Championship game. Called that in October and still think it happens.

Not sure I can stomach Doug Gottlieb for an entire game
There's a pocket of KU superfans who have an informal contest to see who can make the most innocuous comment on Twitter that still gets Gottlieb to block you.
My wife even called him a moron a few minutes ago.
When Gottlieb was a player at Oklahoma State, he once checked into a game at the Phog with his shorts on backwards. He has never lived that down among Kansas fans.But the big one folks bring up was a bit before that. He played his freshman year at Notre Dame, then transferred out. While at Notre Dame, he stole credit cards from three other students in his dorm and bought about $1000 worth of stuff with them. This was circa 1995, 1996, so it wasn't buying stuff online; he went on a shopping spree in South Bend. When the bills arrived to the authorized users, the gig was up.

So if you see references to credit cards around his name in social media, that's the incident referenced.

Users who are viewing this thread