What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2014/15 UK Basketball - :pours40out: (3 Viewers)

Ugly, ugly start to the 2nd half. I think the Cats watched ESPN where they said the game was already over while Anthony Grant was peeling some paint off the locker room walls.

Since 2000 - the leading defensive FG% has been Stanford in the 1999-2000 season with 35.8%.

UK is currently holding opponents to 31.7% (to be fair, UVA, TCU and Texas are all around 34.4% also below Stanford's mark)

I certainly expect that number to rise through conference play. In four games, UK has allowed 38% in SEC play, but this puts some numbers on a historically good defense.

game tracker says UK has only attempted 4 3-pointers tonite with 3 minutes left (and none by Booker!?). It's like the game plan was an experiment to just to try to pound it inside regardless of outcome, but turnovers, and Vandy being on fire from outside have kept it close.

As I type this, Booker finally attempted one then Harrison hit.

game tracker says UK has only attempted 4 3-pointers tonite with 3 minutes left (and none by Booker!?). It's like the game plan was an experiment to just to try to pound it inside regardless of outcome, but turnovers, and Vandy being on fire from outside have kept it close.

Different defensive strategy than what the Cats have been seeing. Vandy played man instead of zone and did a good job of defending the 3 point line, giving very little help on the bigs. Not sure why more teams don't do this against UK. They basically said "we'll take our chances with Johnson, Towns, and WCS beating us on offense instead of free looks for Booker and the Harrisons."

Speaking of which, riddle me this Batman...

Why in the world did Stallings switch to a zone for exactly 1 possession after his team had made a 3 to cut it to a 4 point game with just 2:30 left in the game???

UK's offense had been bad against the man to man all night and Vandy did a pretty good job on the backboard out of it. They switch to zone and Booker immediately gets a good look at a 3, Cats get the offensive rebounding and 2 passes later Harrison gets a wide open 3 from the corner. The lead goes to 7 and the game is essentially over...

Different defensive strategy than what the Cats have been seeing. Vandy played man instead of zone and did a good job of defending the 3 point line, giving very little help on the bigs. Not sure why more teams don't do this against UK. They basically said "we'll take our chances with Johnson, Towns, and WCS beating us on offense instead of free looks for Booker and the Harrisons."
Good observation.

There really is no good reason for UK not to dominate against a man defense though. It does take an adjustment from the guards, but they (and the bigs) need to recognize the defense, then drive to the basket a lot - draw a foul, or wait for the defense to commit, then toss an ally oop to one of the bigs.

Harrison's are awful. They need to leave UK after this season regardless of a national championship. I believe that they will become good NBA players in time. But the only benefit for them staying this year is only if they win their 9th title. Their game is being stunted because of the platoon system. They don't have enough time on the court to create more for themselves. That being said, their play in the last 2 games was abysmal. They are being treated like everyone else on the team......make plays, play tough defense,= more playing time. Throw up three's that don't go in, drive and heave up a terrible shot= bench time. That simple.

DraftExpress has 7 players coming out:

Lottery

3. Towns

6. Cauley-Stein

14. Booker

1st round

25. Lyles

30. Johnson

2nd round

47. Andrew Harrison

51. Aaron Harrison

If Booker stays in the lottery range, hard to see him staying in school, no matter how much he like Ulis. Dakari Johnson and Trey Lyles could both move up with another year, so they will be interesting to watch - think Johnson stays and Lyles goes, but could see both players go either way.

Harrisons are going - just can't see them stay and continue to be scapegoats for any game that is not a blowout.

Last edited by a moderator:
UK picked up a 2016 signing - son of world champion woodchoppers - New Zealander Tai Wynyard, 6'9" PF prospect

Could still reclassify as a 2015 signing, but probably waiting to see who leaves.

:yawn:

Should be another snoozer this weekend, before it starts to get interesting next week.
Defense and free throws aren't the most exciting ways to win, but darn it sure is effective. Clark was the only guy who could score for Mizzou.

I know it's only halfway there, but 20-0 still is kind of a big deal.

Not sure how any coach could think that repeatedly fouling us is a sound strategy. We don't have a lot of rhythm to our offense anyway, and our depth is the best in country.

Good thing Mizzou got Gill-Caesar back for this game. That zero points and five fouls were a big help.

WampusCat43 said:
Not sure how any coach could think that repeatedly fouling us is a sound strategy. We don't have a lot of rhythm to our offense anyway, and our depth is the best in country.

Good thing Mizzou got Gill-Caesar back for this game. That zero points and five fouls were a big help.
Yeah, according to the announcers from the game at home, it would have been a different game. And they were right. We only beat them by 16 this time. Whew, that was close. :lol:

This team may have some issues on offense but that defense is just incredible. They just overwhelm everyone they play. They have size and athleticism that nobody can match. As long as they stay interested on that end it's hard to see them losing. Overall they aren't bulletproof, but that kind of defense can cover up for a whole lot of offensive woes. Once they hit the tournament if they hit a team that can score on them it'll be interesting to see if they can find a way to keep up, but who knows if that team exists.

I'm really impressed. I always figured a team of super recruits would score like crazy but struggle on defense and they're the opposite. Hard to come up with a scenario where they lose. Just a great team.

Late night road game on Thursday makes me a little worried about tonight. Good prep for March, but we have seen what can happen when the intensity isn't there (Ole Miss, Tex A&M).

Love what I saw of UK tonight. Great defense, smart offense, and I believe if I heard correctly just short of 60% from the field and 47% from 3-point range. That's just incredible. Let's remember that was without Trey Lyles tonight. The journey continues. Just love it. Going to the game at home against Georgia. Can't wait. :pickle:

I thought they would lose at some point a while back but I don't see it now.
Nah, there gonna lose sometime, as I have said many times, I just hope it is in the regular season. But I do agree the possibility is there for them to run the table. Funny thing is the only ones who keep bringing this up is the media. This is not something Cal or the team has ever brought up.

Looks like Trey Lyles could be out awhile with an illness. Cal said he is out tomorrow and they don't know beyond that.

Could hurt vs Florida and LSU.

Good game. UK missing Lyles could catch up to them at some point. Towns has been a beast lately though. Hope that Booker only had cramps, and is ready for the LSU game.

Still have one idiot coach voting Gonzaga as number 1. Writers have a better notion, with UVA back up to the #2 spot, and Gonzaga down to 3.

Heard on the local radio this afternoon that tomorrow's game will be LSU's first true sellout in 9 years. Expecting another good challenge for the Cats.

SEC officials are killing me...

That game should have been over midway through the 2nd half. UK had a 13 point lead and one of LSU's guards threw it into the 3rd row trying to get it to one of the post guys. The ref at midcourt calls a nothing foul on Lee, LSU hits a 3 off the inbounds, then Towns goes braindead and we have a ballgame.

ETA: I'm not saying UK is any way getting screwed (intentionally), but these guys are so inconsistent with the way they call the game it's not even funny.

tic toc

the sound of the "L" clock is about to strike on UK's cinderella undefeated season. Hope it doesn't happen to South Dakota Eastern in the 1st round of the NCAA tourny.

Users who are viewing this thread