What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2014 NFL Free Agents (1 Viewer)

@AdamSchefter: After a disagreement in OAK on OT Rodger Saffold's physical condition, he is returning to STL to sign a 5-yr contract with the Rams. Wow.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad the only thing the Bills have done is resign Dan Carpenter. Losing all hope is easier in Week 8 than in Week 17.

So far DBs have ruled: Byrd, Talib, Whitner, Mitchell, Davis, Revis. - Munnerlyn is still out there.

Seems like the FA attention might now shift to the WRs.

- Edelman, Decker, Sanders, Steve Smith, James Jones are all out there.
Shields too, although he didn't change teams but GB sure wasn't going let him test the market.

Jonathan Dwyer - RB - Cardinals

Cardinals signed RB Jonathan Dwyer to a one-year contract.

Dwyer, 24, finished 2013 in Pittsburgh with 197 yards on 49 carries (4.0 YPC) and eight receptions. He's a devastating pass protector and excels in short yardage. Although Dwyer lacks a high ceiling, he's a sensible signing in Arizona due to his familiarity with Bruce Arians' offense. He's a better talent than Stepfan Taylor. If this is all the Cards add at tailback during the offseason, it'll be good news for Andre Ellington's fantasy outlook.

Related: Steelers

Mar 12 - 9:37 PM
News to me that he's a great short yardage runner and devastating pass blocker, but I haven't seen him play much in a few years - not has anyone.Seems like AZ is where the ex-Steeler backs are headed with Arians. Amos Zereoue next?

Tom Pelissero‏@TomPelissero58 secs

Hello. RT @eallenjets: The Jets have agreed to terms with WR Eric Decker

Can someone confirm?
Just ran across the ESPN ticker for what its worth.
Jets Agree to Terms with Eric DeckerMarch 12th at 10:44pm CST by Ben Levine
Tweet9 Share0 Share0 Share0 Email0
10:44pm: It’s a five-year, $36.25MM deal including $15MM guaranteed, a source tells Adam Schefter of ESPN (on Twitter).

10:30pm: The Jets have agreed to a contract with free agent wide receiver Eric Decker, tweets Eric Allen of newyorkjets.com. The news was confirmed on the team’s Twitter account.

It was a relatively quiet start to the offseason for Gang Green, but they got in the game in a big way tonight. In Decker, the Jets have nabbed one of the very best wide receivers available on the open market this winter. The Jets and two other clubs reportedly had very serious interest in signing the former Broncos standout, but Decker wanted to give the Jets the first opportunity to sign him. After hosting Decker, Rex Ryan & Co. were quickly able to seal the deal.

Last season, in Peyton Manning‘s pass-happy Denver offense, Decker registered 87 catches for 1,288 yards (career high) and 11 touchdowns. At 6’3″, Decker can give the Jets another tall passing target capable of huge plays. It’s a void that needed to be filled after the Jets said goodbye to Santonio Holmes earlier this week. The Jets reportedly want to come away with two free agent wide receivers, so other targets such as Packers free agent James Jones are still in play.

Rotoworld:

TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline reports the Jets will continue to pursue free agent James Jones even if they land Eric Decker.
The Jets are putting the full-court press on Decker as we speak. So at least they are aware they need two new starting wideouts, and plan to do something about it. Jones and Decker have both been touchdown-scoring receivers throughout their careers, though they've been playing with Aaron Rodgers and Peyton Manning, respectively. Their fantasy values would suffer in New York.

Related: Jets

Source: Tony Pauline on Twitter

I feel sorry for the Raiders starting QB. Whoever he is? If I was a rookie QB, I would go to the Raider's private workout, smoke a pack of cigerettes, and throw every ball into the 6th row.

jonboltz said:
voiceofunreason said:
Bigboy10182000 said:
@RapSheet: Unreal RT @BairCSN: #Raiders announce that Rodger Saffold failed a physical and will not be signing with the team.

:lmao: :lmao:
Watching them the last week, looks like they're trying to catch up to the Dolphins and Browns for worst front office.
Should they have kept the contract after the failed physical?
http://nfl.si.com/2014/03/12/rodger-saffold-fails-physical-with-raiders-returns-to-rams/

Bump VJax?

Quarterback Josh McCown has signed a two-year, $10 million deal with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.McCown will make $4.75 million in 2014-15 and $5.25 million in 2015-16, sources told Schefter. McCown's agent, Michael McCartney, confirmed the two-year deal.

McCown can also earn $5 million more in incentives -- $1 million each year for playing time and another $3 million for reaching the playoffs, sources told Schefter.
Is that a starting type salary? I really don't know if McCown is better than Glennon. Seems like a competition heading into camp. They needed a backup.
McCown could easily take the job from Glennon. Now he might get a challenge from a rookie if the Bucs draft one. But don't discount McCown coming off an excellent year last, 13 TD, 1 INT in limited spot duty. I think even he was a bit surprised he did so well. For now, I think you have to say he's odds on favorite for the starting gig. He's certainly making more than Glennon and the current regime has no ties to Glennon.
Sure, McCown could take the job. I'm just saying I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that the 34 year old QB with 38 starts, on his 5th team, with 5 good games where he had (probably) the best WR duo in the NFL to throw to, will start. He's certainly not a long term answer.
Lovie said he's the starter

massraider said:
I am aware the guaranteed money is what matters, yada yada yada, but:

Tom Pelissero@TomPelissero 1m

APY for safeties: Byrd $9M, Whitner $7M, Ward $5.625M, Bethea $5.25M, Jenkins $5.17M, Mitchell $5M.

Jenkins looks like a bargain.
Unless PFF is right and Jenkins really was the worst safety in the league last year. Then not so much of a bargain.

massraider said:
I am aware the guaranteed money is what matters, yada yada yada, but:

Tom Pelissero@TomPelissero 1m

APY for safeties: Byrd $9M, Whitner $7M, Ward $5.625M, Bethea $5.25M, Jenkins $5.17M, Mitchell $5M.

Jenkins looks like a bargain.
Unless PFF is right and Jenkins really was the worst safety in the league last year. Then not so much of a bargain.
New system, new team and the PFF rankings are pretty much well known to be BS for DB ratings.

Decker looks like a bargain when you at Golden Tate's deal. Can't believe how similar the contracts are.

jonboltz said:
voiceofunreason said:
Bigboy10182000 said:
@RapSheet: Unreal RT @BairCSN: #Raiders announce that Rodger Saffold failed a physical and will not be signing with the team.

Watching them the last week, looks like they're trying to catch up to the Dolphins and Browns for worst front office.
The Rams signed him a few minutes later and from everything I've read, it was buyer's remorse. Just adds to their credibility.

But yeah, considering they had over 60 million in cap money, didn't get anyone of note and let their 3 top free agents walk I'm okay stepping waaay out on a limb and saying the Raiders haven't had a great offseason.

50 cents says the Lions get more out of Tate than the Jets do out of Decker. IMO both guys are 1Bs. Decker acting as a true #1 in a poor passing offense could be a train wreck.

jonboltz said:
voiceofunreason said:
Bigboy10182000 said:

No, but they probably should have done a bit more due diligence on a guy who is a walking injury before agreeing to vastly overpay him. Better yet, just try to keep your own guy, who is better (and cheaper).

50 cents says the Lions get more out of Tate than the Jets do out of Decker. IMO both guys are 1Bs. Decker acting as a true #1 in a poor passing offense could be a train wreck.
Decker might be a 1B or a good #2. Tate is a #3...#2 on a good day.

One guy played against #1 CBs in an offense that threw the ball 420 times.

The other guy played against #2 or #3 CBs with a HOF QB in an offense that threw 650+ times.

Now the first guy gets to go against #2 QBs with a solid QB and an offense that (based on what the Saints did) should still throw 600+ times.

And the second guy has to go against #1 CBs with dreck at QB in an offense where the coach has said that they'd like to throw 20 times a game.

IMO Tate >> Decker going forward.

Not a stretch to say Stafford > over Geno.....

One guy played against #1 CBs in an offense that threw the ball 420 times.

ETA: Not saying Tate won't be a better fantasy player going forward. Just that Decker is a better football player.

The other guy played against #2 or #3 CBs with a HOF QB in an offense that threw 650+ times.

Now the first guy gets to go against #2 QBs with a solid QB and an offense that (based on what the Saints did) should still throw 600+ times.

And the second guy has to go against #1 CBs with dreck at QB in an offense where the coach has said that they'd like to throw 20 times a game.

IMO Tate >> Decker going forward.
Decker put up Tate type numbers with Tim Tebow throwing him the ball.

ETA: I'm not talking about fantasy numbers going forward.

Per Schefter - OT Rodger Saffold and Rams reached agreement on 5-yr, $31.7M deal that includes $19.5M gtd. Saffold has option to void deal after 3 years.

That can certainly be true based on the systems (and QB) employed by both teams and the fact that Calvin will be the focus of opposing defenses - but that doesn't mean that Tate is a better WR than Decker.

Decker looks like a bargain when you at Golden Tate's deal. Can't believe how similar the contracts are.
You're assuming Decker is better than Tate.
He is. He's bigger. stronger and faster. Both have sure hands and run nice routes. What WR quality would you say Tate is better than Decker at?
Tate is definitely much more dangerous after the catch. IMO they're pretty close overall.
I disagree there - but it would be hard to prove objectively.

I like Tate. Don't get me wrong. I agree they are close, and both received similar contracts as well to "prove it" - but Decker is the better overall WR.

Users who are viewing this thread