What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**2015 MLB Season Thread: This is how the chapter ends (1 Viewer)

Yeah i apologize. That's all they were talking about on the radio this morning lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Mets are in line for a playoff spot. Nationals are struggling to do the same. Maybe if Harper had a bit more grit and T.W.T.W he'd be on Cespedes' level.

This seems like it will lead to trouble

Want to buy stock linked to the brand of Angels rookie left-hander Andrew Heaney? Fans will soon get that chance.

Heaney, 24, has become the first baseball player to enter into a brand contract with Fantex, the company announced on Thursday.

Under the terms of the deal, Heaney will receive $3.34 million in exchange for 10 percent of all future earnings related to his brand, including player contracts, corporate endorsements and appearance fees.

The agreement is contingent on Fantex obtaining the financing necessary to pay the purchase price. The shares are not yet up for sale, and Heaney, his agents and Fantex officials cannot yet comment.

Both Major League Baseball and the players union consented to Heaney's deal, which could be the first of several involving major leaguers.

MLB was concerned about the possibility of such an agreement leaving Heaney vulnerable to exploitation by gamblers, but Fantex employs a screening process to weed out problematic investors, according to sources.

The union also had reservations, including Heaney's giving up a sizable percentage of his future earnings and risking disclosure on a broad number of issues, including injuries and potential discipline, sources said.

The deal, however, could benefit the union in other ways. Heaney already has received a $2.6 million signing bonus as the No. 9 overall pick in the 2012 draft. Now, with nearly $6 million in earnings, he likely will be less inclined to sign a below-market extension.Heaney, whom the Angels acquired from the Dodgers last offseason for second baseman Howie Kendrick, is earning $509,250 this season. He has a 3.52 ERA in 14 starts, but likely will not be eligible for salary arbitration until 2018 and free agency until 2021.

Fantex also has approached other major leaguers, but at least one was uncomfortable with the idea that a fan could "own" a part of him, sources said.

A number of NFL players have signed with Fantex, including San Francisco 49ers tight end Vernon Davis, Chicago Bears wide receiver Alshon Jeffery and Buffalo Bills quarterback EJ Manuel.

Davis received $4 million from Fantex. His shares sold for $4.2 million, with the difference going to cover the cost of the deal. As described by The New York Times, the shares simulated a 10 percent interest in Davis' future income. For investors to make money, the total value of Davis' future earnings must exceed $42 million.

Heaney's deal presumably will work the same way — his earnings would need to exceed $33.4 million for his investors to realize a return. If Heaney is successful, he can cover a sizable percentage of that amount in arbitration alone and earn additional income in endorsements.
http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/los-angeles-angels-andrew-heaney-first-in-mlb-to-sell-stock-in-himself-091015

A number of NFL players have signed with Fantex, including San Francisco 49ers tight end Vernon Davis, Chicago Bears wide receiver Alshon Jeffery and Buffalo Bills quarterback EJ Manuel.

Davis received $4 million from Fantex. His shares sold for $4.2 million, with the difference going to cover the cost of the deal. As described by The New York Times, the shares simulated a 10 percent interest in Davis' future income. For investors to make money, the total value of Davis' future earnings must exceed $42 million.

Heaney's deal presumably will work the same way — his earnings would need to exceed $33.4 million for his investors to realize a return. If Heaney is successful, he can cover a sizable percentage of that amount in arbitration alone and earn additional income in endorsements.
http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/los-angeles-angels-andrew-heaney-first-in-mlb-to-sell-stock-in-himself-091015
I don't think that this is right. I don't think there's any way that Davis will make $42 million going forward. By investors, do they mean Fantex or people who buy the stock? If the former, I'm sure that there are clauses about what Davis will owe them if certain things don't happen. If the latter, I don't think that it really matters what he actually earns.

I don't think that this is right. I don't think there's any way that Davis will make $42 million going forward. By investors, do they mean Fantex or people who buy the stock? If the former, I'm sure that there are clauses about what Davis will owe them if certain things don't happen. If the latter, I don't think that it really matters what he actually earns.
http://fortune.com/2015/03/31/athlete-stock-exchange-fantex/

Here’s how it all works: when Fantex signs a new professional athlete, it sets an amount that it will pay him—a one-time fee—in exchange for the athlete giving Fantex a set percentage of all his future earnings, on and off the field, “in perpetuity.” (Yes, that means not just for the rest of his athletic career, but the rest of his life, hypothetically). Fantex must then sell enough shares in the IPO to make the amount it needs to pay the athlete. If it fails to sell enough, it will not complete the offering.
It doesn't matter what the player actually earns. It just matters that they can sell the initial shares.

Assuming Heaney stays healthy, 33 million seems like an absolute lock, right? Even if he's mediocre, that has value and with salaries increasing, how does he not make that much?

Football players have been doing this for a while now. Think Arian Foster was the first a couple years ago (actually may have been Vernon Davis, but it was less publicized) but it was a major story...and he got hurt a week later.

Makes more sense for football players on non-guaranteed contracts. I'm not sure how it benefits Heaney unless he needs $3M right now to buy a new iPhone or something. If his total future earnings are greater than $40M, hell be leaving money on the table and if they're less, there will probably be some investor lawsuits in his future.

Makes more sense for football players on non-guaranteed contracts. I'm not sure how it benefits Heaney unless he needs $3M right now to buy a new iPhone or something. If his total future earnings are greater than $40M, hell be leaving money on the table and if they're less, there will probably be some investor lawsuits in his future.
Plenty of guys leave way more money on the table than that to start getting big paychecks now instead of 3 years from now.

Heaney is making around $500K this year and probably won't be arbitration eligible until 2018. So his total pre-arb earnings (excluding this season) will be a bit over $1M. Assuming he stays healthy and effective (big ifs BTW), his 2018 arbitration number should be in the $2M-$3M range, which are the first year arbitration numbers for teammates Hector Santiago and Garrett Richards respectively. This would be the break-even point factoring out the cost of money. Everything from 2019 and after would be gravy.

I can see things from Heaney's perspective. $3.34M is more than most non-FBGs make in a lifetime. A lot can happen in three years, especially to a young pitcher. Heaney has already experienced the ups, downs and uncertainties of the sport. He was traded twice in one day during the off-season. Fantex and its shareholders are taking on risk. The devil's in the details with any contract though.

Heaney is making around $500K this year and probably won't be arbitration eligible until 2018. So his total pre-arb earnings (excluding this season) will be a bit over $1M. Assuming he stays healthy and effective (big ifs BTW), his 2018 arbitration number should be in the $2M-$3M range, which are the first year arbitration numbers for teammates Hector Santiago and Garrett Richards respectively. This would be the break-even point factoring out the cost of money. Everything from 2019 and after would be gravy.

I can see things from Heaney's perspective. $3.34M is more than most non-FBGs make in a lifetime. A lot can happen in three years, especially to a young pitcher. Heaney has already experienced the ups, downs and uncertainties of the sport. He was traded twice in one day during the off-season. Fantex and its shareholders are taking on risk. The devil's in the details with any contract though.
Maybe I am not thinking about this right, but his $500,000 this year, plus his discounted $500K for the next 2 would be about $1.4 million.

Then let's say he makes $2.5, $4 and $6 in his arbitration years. Discounted, that is about $9.4 million.

So he owes Fantex $1.08 million at that point, right? And he's already banked the $3.34 million. So it seems like pretty good insurance to me.

He could get hurt a little bit on the back-end, if he signs even average FA contracts, but at that point, it's probably kind of irrelevant anyway, because he would have so much money anyway.

Jon Singleton signed a $10mm, 5 year contract that covered his three "cheap years" as well as two years of arb, I believe? That seems like a much more reasonable path for a guy like Heaney if he wants some up-front money.

Barring an insane run of injuries or if he just loses his mind or something, Heaney's going to make way more than 35mm.

Maybe I am not thinking about this right, but his $500,000 this year, plus his discounted $500K for the next 2 would be about $1.4 million.

Then let's say he makes $2.5, $4 and $6 in his arbitration years. Discounted, that is about $9.4 million.

So he owes Fantex $1.08 million at that point, right? And he's already banked the $3.34 million. So it seems like pretty good insurance to me.

He could get hurt a little bit on the back-end, if he signs even average FA contracts, but at that point, it's probably kind of irrelevant anyway, because he would have so much money anyway.
I wasn't counting this year since he's already been paid most of it prior to the Fantex agreement. The arbitration year numbers you gave are probably closer to best case (for the player) than worst case.

Jon Singleton signed a $10mm, 5 year contract that covered his three "cheap years" as well as two years of arb, I believe? That seems like a much more reasonable path for a guy like Heaney if he wants some up-front money.

Barring an insane run of injuries or if he just loses his mind or something, Heaney's going to make way more than 35mm.
The problem with the Singleton deal (as well as Sal Perez' similar pre-arb contract) are the club option years tacked on the end. The players could be locked in at below market salaries for two of their prime earning years.

But the cost of weed ain't going down.

But certainly anything can be negotiated in or away, right? There has to be some happy medium where Heaney gets more upfront money and the Angels probably get a break on his arb years.

I wasn't counting this year since he's already been paid most of it prior to the Fantex agreement. The arbitration year numbers you gave are probably closer to best case (for the player) than worst case.
Probably, but if he makes less, then the deal is even better for him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bert Jones with screen pass to Joe Washington for a TD.

Washington added a rushing TD.

Jan Stenerud with two FGs.

Mike Bell sacked Jones in the end zone for a safety.

Up 23 points going into tomorrow.

I have: Greinke and T. Walker

He has: Dickey, Bauer and R. Iglesias

Any chance at all this ends well?

Scenario 2, Yahoo version:

I'm down 7-5, but clinch a bye as long as I don't lose by five.

Closest categories:

HR 12-10 up; RBI 31-30 up; AVG .247-.243 up; OPS .814-.792 up; K 68-73 down.

No chance he doesn't flip at least two of these, right?

Yovani Gallardo probably ended my HTH season. I picked him up to replace the lost Cole start, and he imploded.

Happy trails...

Users who are viewing this thread