What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2017 ACC Sports (1 Viewer)

I was ready to concede FSU the 1 seed in the ACC given remaining schedules. Now maybe not. That was a big game for conference COY voting, but as someone who survived the Matt Doherty-experience, not quite ready to project long-term success for Pastner just based on first year results.

And favorite NCAA tourney match-up theory I've seen to date - UCLA gets a 2 seed and sees Duke as the 7. Completely plausible and can easily envision K getting this team humming in time to take down UCLA in a second round game.

I was ready to concede FSU the 1 seed in the ACC given remaining schedules. Now maybe not. That was a big game for conference COY voting, but as someone who survived the Matt Doherty-experience, not quite ready to project long-term success for Pastner just based on first year results.

And favorite NCAA tourney match-up theory I've seen to date - UCLA gets a 2 seed and sees Duke as the 7. Completely plausible and can easily envision K getting this team humming in time to take down UCLA in a second round game.
Yea my hope for the Noles was to win the ACC regular-season. I don't expect them to win a natty or anything like that. So that kind of sucked last night. 

Yea my hope for the Noles was to win the ACC regular-season. I don't expect them to win a natty or anything like that. So that kind of sucked last night. 
Still not out of the question at all.  Take a look at the final seven games on UNC's regular season schedule.

TobiasFunke said:
Still not out of the question at all.  Take a look at the final seven games on UNC's regular season schedule.
I wasn't looking at UNC for top spot given its remaining schedule. Still think FSU is strong - if GT game was a wake-up call and not a long-term issue. I was with Louisville until they lost all their PGs. Think UVa is the sleeper for the regular season - @UNC is hardest game left, also have Louisville, Duke and UNC at home and the rest of their games are very winnable. 15-3 looks very doable for the Wahoos.

OK...is it my Duke colored glasses?

I don't see what Grayson did wrong here...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/dukes-allen-ignites-yet-another-brawl/ar-AAmmeoK?li=BBnb7Kz

But, of course, the article is lambasting Allen and blaming him for the altercation.

Every time I've looked at this...I see them both scramble for the ball...he immediately gets surrounded by opposing players.
He puts his hand up to show he's not starting anything and a Wake player actually bear hugs him and tosses him down.

What am I missing here?  How is any of that his fault?

Teams are obviously keying on him in order to goad him into blowing up (I would too) but slamming a dude is beyond any reasonable act.

Last edited by a moderator:
Miami is spanking UNC early in the 2nd half
Could see this one coming a mile away.  Asking college kids to play a Thursday 8 PM game and then turn around and play on the road hundreds of miles away at 1 on Saturday is a tall task, especially with UNC missing Pinson. Everything that didn't get blocked clanged off the front of the rim.  In the NBA they'd call it a schedule loss.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/dukes-allen-ignites-yet-another-brawl/ar-AAmmeoK?li=BBnb7Kz

But, of course, the article is lambasting Allen and blaming him for the altercation.

Every time I've looked at this...I see them both scramble for the ball...he immediately gets surrounded by opposing players.
He puts his hand up to show he's not starting anything and a Wake player actually bear hugs him and tosses him down.

Teams are obviously keying on him in order to goad him into blowing up (I would too) but slamming a dude is beyond any reasonable act.
I missed the game so can't comment on anything other than the video but I think the initial WF guy confronted him because Allen grabs his arm going for the loose ball.  Everything after that was escalated by WF.  

If Duke is smart they will bench Tatum (ball hog) and run the offense through Luke Kennard. That kid is a baller. 

And this has to be the most impressive start for GT (except for the Duke blowout) since...Geez maybe the 90s? I agree their coach has to be the front runner for coach of the year. 

Allen committed a foul. Everything else was fault of Wake. And once Tatum fouled out, Kennard - and Duke  - got rolling. Maybe strategy for rest of year is start Tatum and just let him play til he fouls out. 

Could see this one coming a mile away.  Asking college kids to play a Thursday 8 PM game and then turn around and play on the road hundreds of miles away at 1 on Saturday is a tall task, especially with UNC missing Pinson. Everything that didn't get blocked clanged off the front of the rim.  In the NBA they'd call it a schedule loss.
Yeah, they looked gassed. Miami seemingly got to every loose ball. 

I've never seen anything as perplexing as Carolina's defense after a made basket. Miami would send a guy long and it was like UNC couldn't figure it out. I bet it happened 10 times, at least (seemed like every in-bound in the 2nd half).

Roy had one of his vertigo spells during the game, too. 

Beat ND at the buzzer today. This team is way better than I ever imagined
Unreal - not to get ahead of things but they have a legitimate shot at the tourney now.  The schedule theoretically gets easier now.  Would be nice to replay a couple of those games from earlier in the year.  

You have to love what Pastner has done so far

Wake was at fault - I think I heard the guy who grabbed him got a technical, right?  If so, Manning has to be pissed.

Regarding the Allen situation, you can't know what was said or what other actions may have occurred leading up to the play that caused a reaction when he ended up face to face out of bounds surrounded by Wake players. Maybe nothing. Or maybe something. :shrug:

I did notice that as he was body slammed into the chairs, it was right in front of Jefferson and he did nothing to intervene.

Gott sucks

thats all

he cares more about chasing tail then coaching games.  And he is making a top 15 salary.  Incredibly awesome gig to have

Uruk-Hai said:
Yep - double techs.

The Wake player trolled Allen first, and he bit like an idiot. It's not fair, but Grayson made this bed and has a target on his back
Not to pick on you in any way by choosing your comment to which to respond, UH, but in fact, double technicals were not assessed on the play under discussion.  Earlier in the game, however, Allen and Wake guard Bryant Crawford were assessed matching technicals for jawing at each other.  This happened near the under-12 deadball timeout of the second half, so about 8 game minutes before the incident everyone is discussing.  And while the double technicals were dumb on both sides, no real physicality was involved.  If Allen wasn't one of the two players, no one would have thought anything of it.  

On the play that everyone's discussing (or suddenly not so much discussing today now that it's clear that Allen wasn't at fault), Allen was assessed only a common foul, because what he did was not a hard foul or even particularly unusual; it was a basketball play that occurs regularly in hundreds of games a year that don't involve Allen or even Duke.  After the play was over, Crawford, who was the player Allen fouled and the same one involved in the woofing incident earlier, immediately got into Allen's face and Allen held up his hands to make clear that he wasn't going to get into an altercation.  Meanwhile, out of nowhere, Wake guard Brandon Childress (who is Wake legend and current assistant coach Randolph Childress' son) flew into a situation in which he was not involved, tackled Allen, and threw him into the seats of the Duke bench, which could have seriously injured Allen, probably as much as if not more so than any of Allen's three tripping victims could have been injured on those "plays."

Had Allen been the one who had made the gang tackle, ESPN would be calling for him not just to be suspended for life from basketball, but likely to be jailed for at least a decade.  Moreover, that sort of tackle should have propelled Childress' immediate exit from the game because it had nothing to do with basketball and was fighting that should have resulted in an ejection.  By comparison, referees threw out half the players in a Louisiana Tech/UAB game just a few nights ago for fighting.

Of course, this is Duke and this is Allen, so there's plenty of misinformation and assumptions (and again, UH, please, you're a great guy, I'm not pointing the finger at you AT ALL).  Even Gminski, doing the game with Brando, said after the Childress tackle - which clearly neither Brando nor Gminski realized had even happened - that Allen had brought this on himself and it was fair.  Brando, not afflicted with the Bilas/Jay Williams Syndrome of needing to bend overboard to see things against Duke as much as possible in order not to be accused of bias for their alma mater, actually disagreed, and he's right.  

The tripping incidents by Allen were certainly bad.  But that conduct and Allen's aggressive play do not give every opposing a player a license to tee off on the kid including throwing him down into the hardwood.  

Finally, as most observers of Duke's program know, Wake attempts to goon it up pretty much every time Duke visits Joel in an effort to rattle Duke and exploit the Blue Devils' perceived "softness."  That goes back to the late Skip Prosser (RIP), continued with Gaudio, and now lives on under Danny Manning.  With a sellout crowd (the first for a Wake game in Joel since **2009**) on hand, and the added appeal of being able to goad college basketball's biggest villain this time around, that strategy certainly wasn't going to miss its regular deployment.   

The most remarkable thing is that Wake's usual gambit didn't work, and Kennard and Allen authored a remarkable comeback.  Had Duke not won that game, with a near-certain loss on the way tomorrow night in South Bend, they might have been headed to the NIT. 

Bonus note: Ted Valentine was one of the referees, and while I actually like him, he wasn't the right referee for this one once Wake decided to get physical as usual and there was plenty of camera time afoot for the zebras.  

Second bonus note: while everyone was getting things sorted out on the court following Childress' tackle of Allen, Brando spent a great deal of the dead airtime complaining that the TV commentators are not courtside at LJVMCC (they're at a significant remove from the court despite the size of the building, which seats about 14,500).  This was offered as an excuse for why Brando and Gminski couldn't see what was going on - no word on why they couldn't just look at their own network's monitors sitting on the table with them, and couldn't have seen the same things everyone else watching the same feed did whatever the spin - and so Brando managed to make things about him as usual.  :lol:

Good win by Duke.  The season is still hanging by a thread, but Jeff seems to be figuring some things out, like using Jackson as the point and running the offense through Kennard.  Oh, and it was no coincidence that Duke outscored the Deacs 20-12 after Tatum fouled out. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly. As long as he's in college, every team Allen plays is going to do everything they can to get under his skin. Did he bring some of it on himself? Absofreakinglutely. But incidents like yesterday are why comments like the ones Michelle Beadle made (saying someone should punch  Allen in the face) are absolute horse####.  You want to make the argument that ESPN covered this year's incident fairly? (dedicating god knows how many resources time to cover a stupid mistake by a college kid)  I'd disagree but I can see why some would lean the other way.

But its incredibly irresponsible to continue to comment on the incident (in terms of what other players should do to him) weeks after the fact. Hell, in an interview a couple of weeks ago, they asked DeAndre Ayton (who will almost certainly never play a college game against Allen) what he would do if Allen tried to trip him. That's absolute garbage.

Allen will get no sympathy from anyone but this is becoming absurd. Getting slammed physically and then hammered by the media like this. He should have at least gotten his monies worth and kicked someone in the balls as opposed to sticking his leg out and never actually hurting anyone  :clyde:

Gott sucks

thats all

he cares more about chasing tail then coaching games.  And he is making a top 15 salary.  Incredibly awesome gig to have
I don't know about the chasing tail stuff but he seems like a good recruiter but not so good with game stuff 

I don't know about the chasing tail stuff but he seems like a good recruiter but not so good with game stuff 
well the chasing tail stuff is clearly affecting his teams and seasons

Not so sure about the good recruiter angle.  Maybe he is and is just a poor developer or maybe he just misses on a lot of kids.  Abu, Anya have both regressed tremendously.  Kapita is still up in the air obviously.  Dorn and Henderson are not ACC players.  the turkish kid looks completely lost half the time.  M Johnson will be good I think if he doesnt leave and Mav is a one trick pony.

Next season looks like a dumpster fire no matter who is coaching.

Yup awesome win. AWFUL officiating (on both sides). I honestly don't know how these guys miss these calls, especially with 3 refs on the court. Duke took some soft calls throughout the night but Notre Dame had 2 big ones go against them that really kept the momentum on Duke's side when it was like a 9 or 10 point game. 

Tatum needs to keep doing what he did tonight. Just accept the fact that you're not a great 3 point shooter yet (the NBA doesn't care at this point, I promise)  and just go to the rack. No reason that kid shouldn't be getting 16 points and 8 boards every night while drawing a bunch of fouls.

Not so sure about the good recruiter angle.  Maybe he is and is just a poor developer or maybe he just misses on a lot of kids.  Abu, Anya have both regressed tremendously.  Kapita is still up in the air obviously.  Dorn and Henderson are not ACC players.  the turkish kid looks completely lost half the time.  M Johnson will be good I think if he doesnt leave and Mav is a one trick pony.
The season is a disappointment, and Gott is turning into a disappointment who may not be around much longer. But some of this stuff is nonsense.

What the #### was that last shot from Pitt last night? They played their best game of the season and lost. This after losing to ####### Clemson and getting outscored by 55 against Louisville. What a sad state of affairs.

What the #### was that last shot from Pitt last night? They played their best game of the season and lost. This after losing to ####### Clemson and getting outscored by 55 against Louisville. What a sad state of affairs.
Not to pick nits, but they played better against Virginia (and maybe against MD).  The problem at the end was that they don't have a "speed" guy to get the ball upcourt and Artis wasn't smart enough to go up the middle instead of letting them force him to the sideline.  But, I agree it's sad to see what they've become.

I'm on board the Gott is terrible train.  Just gross.  Can't believe DSJ has been completely wasted.

I flipped away to check other games after State had pushed the lead to double digits in the second half. Turned back in time to see Cuse hit 3-pointers on four consecutive possessions to cut the lead from 13 to1. That's some UNC-level 3-point defense there.

Users who are viewing this thread