What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2017 ACC Sports (1 Viewer)

I will never bust chops about Duke's flopping again so long as Notre Dame is in the conference.

Jesus, Notre Dame.  Have a little self-respect.  "Fighting" Irish my ***.

Big ACC game coming - tonight - Louisville at Virginia. Both 7-3. Louisville could be playing the best of any ACC team at the moment, but they also tend to not score when they play Virginia.

Adel and mathiang are both out for tonight due to a curfew violation. Takes away alot of UL's legnth up front.

Yeah,  if duke doesn't thump Pitt on Saturday I'll be a bit concerned.   They're just not any good. 
So was the margin of victory enough? Or, what can we take from recent results:

Duke 84, ND 74; Duke 72, Pitt 64

UNC 80, Pitt 78; UNC 83, ND 76

Transitive property says Duke +9 Thursday, but I've also been told to "throw out the record books" when two rivals meet. 

So was the margin of victory enough? Or, what can we take from recent results:

Duke 84, ND 74; Duke 72, Pitt 64

UNC 80, Pitt 78; UNC 83, ND 76

Transitive property says Duke +9 Thursday, but I've also been told to "throw out the record books" when two rivals meet. 
To be fair,  while Pitt is a somewhat flawed team, their overall talent is better than their record. It seemed like duke's defense was better this game  (I though they did a good job contesting shots) but Pitt shot an incredible percentage inside the arch. 

So basically, duke is a total enigma and I have no idea what to expect in any given game.

To be fair,  while Pitt is a somewhat flawed team, their overall talent is better than their record. It seemed like duke's defense was better this game  (I though they did a good job contesting shots) but Pitt shot an incredible percentage inside the arch. 

So basically, duke is a total enigma and I have no idea what to expect in any given game.
Same. I came out of UNC-Pitt thinking, we didn't play great, but Pitt should have more wins than they do. I would like to think UNC's up-and-down over the last 10 or so is as simple as - if Pinson is healthy, everything works better, but I'm not sure. Right now just rationaliizing that it's better to struggle in early February than in early March. 

Speaking of Pinson, I'm sure he and Giles had been thinking about these games for a while, but doesn't look like this one will turn out like either expected in terms of playing time. Maybe in round 2. 

And random shoutout to Quinn Cook for making the D-League All-Star game. There were some other notable names and even some other former ACC guys, but Quinn is solidly in my "favorite players for the other guys" list. He speaks to my old school, work hard for 4 years, memories of the ACC.

So who should State hire this off season?

#1 internet fan choice will be Archie Miller

So who should State hire this off season?

#1 internet fan choice will be Archie Miller
Interesting choice.  Would he come?

Do you really think Yow is going to fire her boy since she is so close to retirement?  I most certainly don't.  Didnt she just give him an insane raise and ext before last season?  She certainly has her finger on the pulse all right.

So...who wins tonight in Cameron? Not that there is ever much logic in this rivalry, but you'd think if Duke can't get better production from Giles and Bolden they might get dominated down low...but then again, if UNC doesn't defend the 3 and Duke gets hot...they could make a dozen or more 3 pointers....what is the line right now? 

Interesting choice.  Would he come?

Do you really think Yow is going to fire her boy since she is so close to retirement?  I most certainly don't.  Didnt she just give him an insane raise and ext before last season?  She certainly has her finger on the pulse all right.
I think he's gone.  Can't find a reason to keep him.  With this many pieces around a stud like DSJ, this season is a complete dumpster fire.  I just hope Yow runs a much smoother search this go around.  

Archie is doing great at Dayton, and makes around $1.1M in comp.  Gott makes double that.  Give Archie what he needs in salary and resources and bring him back.

So...who wins tonight in Cameron? Not that there is ever much logic in this rivalry, but you'd think if Duke can't get better production from Giles and Bolden they might get dominated down low...but then again, if UNC doesn't defend the 3 and Duke gets hot...they could make a dozen or more 3 pointers....what is the line right now? 
Last I saw was Duke -2.5.

I don't think Carolina wins. All of Carolina's losses so far have been away from Chapel Hill. Duke seems to be getting healthy and they have K back now. If Carolina can't defend the 3, it could be a long night.

Heard on the radio yesterday that the last 96 games in the UNC-Duke series each team has 48 wins. In those 96 games each team has scored exactly 7437 points. 

Wow.

Pinson is a go tonight for the Heels.

Still not optimistic, I don't like the matchup or the Heels' recent form.  But this definitely helps. 

well the chasing tail stuff is clearly affecting his teams and seasons

Not so sure about the good recruiter angle.  Maybe he is and is just a poor developer or maybe he just misses on a lot of kids.  Abu, Anya have both regressed tremendously.  Kapita is still up in the air obviously.  Dorn and Henderson are not ACC players.  the turkish kid looks completely lost half the time.  M Johnson will be good I think if he doesnt leave and Mav is a one trick pony.

Next season looks like a dumpster fire no matter who is coaching.
Your chasing tail #### got old a long time ago. Save your gossip for the stay at home moms you hang out with. I think Gott is a good recruiter, but I think the team misses Lutz for his defensive and strategic mind. Anya gained all that weight back, and that is on him.

Worm said:
Archie is doing great at Dayton, and makes around $1.1M in comp.  Gott makes double that.  Give Archie what he needs in salary and resources and bring him back.
I would like the Archie hire.

Your chasing tail #### got old a long time ago. Save your gossip for the stay at home moms you hang out with. I think Gott is a good recruiter, but I think the team misses Lutz for his defensive and strategic mind. Anya gained all that weight back, and that is on him.
gossip yeah sure.  So he gott thrown out of his house for no reason.  Dude is a poon hound.  Screwed his pg's gf at bama and gott caught screwing another girl on a golf course.

Agree Gott will be fired. The only good thing about this dismal season is that it has removed any doubt that it is necessary. On top of the terrible on court performance, he apparently had words with Anya in practice, leading him to suspend Anya for the FSU game. It wouldn't have made a difference in the outcome, but Anya is the first player who will complete 4 years under Gott, and he seems to be an easygoing happy guy... if he is having words with Gott, then he has probably lost the team (if he ever had it).

As stated, Archie is a popular choice on State message boards. I'd be fine with that hire. It is definitely unfortunate that Yow will have to make this hire so close to retirement. Her handling of the last MBB head coaching search was probably the worst part of her tenure.

Sigh. Life as a State fan = :wall:  

Hicks out tonight. Huge blow for unc. Duke needs to go at meeks every play until he's on the bench with foul trouble. Obviously bradley has the highest upside but you never know how a freshman will play in a game like this.

We're also about to see Luke maye guard Jayson tatum....

Playing UNC's type of game...up and down.

Duke needs to slow it down a bit and work fouls.

Actually there was a lot of class and respect shown from both sides tonight, both players and coaches.  Duke is starting to put it all together. And that's 12 of the last 16 for the much better looking dark blue jerseys.  :wub:

Hicks being out hurt for sure but Roy could mitigate that by playing Bradley more. Guess he wants him back for next year.....

Love the win...but still hate the way it was done.

Live and die by the 3...if that doesn't fall...Duke loses.

Can't stop penetration to save their lives.

Points in the paint are always a problem...but thankfully Roy somehow forgets to key on that when they play Duke.

Kennard really is the workhorse for this team...everyone is starting to contribute and gel together but thank God for that guy...he has single-handedly held the team together until everyone else shows up.

Buy Giles, albeit very slowly, continues to look better, at least offensively. If he can continue his slow improvements, Duke could be a very tough team come March. 

Love the win...but still hate the way it was done.

Live and die by the 3...if that doesn't fall...Duke loses.

Can't stop penetration to save their lives.

Points in the paint are always a problem...but thankfully Roy somehow forgets to key on that when they play Duke.

Kennard really is the workhorse for this team...everyone is starting to contribute and gel together but thank God for that guy...he has single-handedly held the team together until everyone else shows up.
Funny, my takeaway was pretty much the opposite.  UNC made a total of 4 three pointers, got a mediocre effort from Berry, went 10-18 from the line and got out-rebounded without Hicks.  If you'd told me those things were gonna happen before the game I would have assumed they'd lost by at least 30.  Points in the paint is the only reason this wasn't a complete bloodbath.

Hicks being out hurt for sure but Roy could mitigate that by playing Bradley more. Guess he wants him back for next year.....
You really think he's NBA draft ready? 

I completely disagree, I don't think he cracks the first round at this point and I think he'd be D-league bound if he left. But you did say Jahlil Okafor was already as good as the elite centers in the NBA when he was still at Duke so I guess I'll defer to your big man evaluations ;)

You really think he's NBA draft ready? 

I completely disagree, I don't think he cracks the first round at this point and I think he'd be D-league bound if he left. But you did say Jahlil Okafor was already as good as the elite centers in the NBA when he was still at Duke so I guess I'll defer to your big man evaluations ;)
Her per minute numbers are outstanding and the NBA drafts on potential. You know this. He'll be a first rounder if he comes out. 

Fair point on Okafor. (Although i believe my stance was limited to his offensive post skills)I think he'd be better in a different situation but his nba mediocrity is shocking to me

Her per minute numbers are outstanding and the NBA drafts on potential. You know this. He'll be a first rounder if he comes out. 

Fair point on Okafor. (Although i believe my stance was limited to his offensive post skills)I think he'd be better in a different situation but his nba mediocrity is shocking to me
He had a remarkable start to the season but has fallen off since then.  Draft Express has him at #40 right now (right next to Grayson Allen!).  Back in December I think I saw him in the teens. He might sneak into the back end of the first round but I don't think it's a lock.  I never blame a kid for leaving but I'd be surprised if he goes, he'll have a chance to play his way into the lottery next season.

I'm with you about last night though.  I guess he can't really share the floor with Meeks, but I think the would have been better off with Bradley's length and athleticism last night.  Or even going twin towers for a few minutes here or there, it's not like they were getting clean looks on the perimeter anyway.

I agree he's not a great fit next to meeks on offense, but in a game where unc played duke even on the boards, I feel like they should have used him more. 

How do unc fans feel about meeks. As an outsider,  I'm kinda shocked at how little he has developed his skill set in 4 years. Obviously his body is a little better and he does a good job carving out space (which is a valuable skill) but it seems like he has literally 1 post move. Seems like adding a little face up 12 to 15 footer would have made a lot of sense.

I sort of feel the same way about Jefferson,  but a least he had multiple counter moves with his back to the rim. 

Funny, my takeaway was pretty much the opposite.  UNC made a total of 4 three pointers, got a mediocre effort from Berry, went 10-18 from the line and got out-rebounded without Hicks.  If you'd told me those things were gonna happen before the game I would have assumed they'd lost by at least 30.  Points in the paint is the only reason this wasn't a complete bloodbath.
I would just say, if you back out points in the paint and fast break points (I can't find a shot chart, just a really good boxscore at GoDuke) for UNCs total (34-12-5=17), Duke held their own with 18.  This was especially true in the second half when UNC only had one basket in the paint that wasn't a 2nd chance/fast break point.  UNC's "problem" if you want to call it that is anything that's not a rebound is generally a contested shot.  They still bail themselves out with their rebounding ability, but they generally "struggle" to consistently get good open looks on the first shot of the possession. 

UNC's bigger problem (their offense is more than fine) is their perimeter defense.  Duke had entirely too many wide open 3s and there a bunch of good teams (Elite 8ish quality) this year in Kansas, UCLA, Virginia (to name a few) that shoot really really well (ie I won't be shocked if someone shoots them out of the gym in the tourney)  

Having said that, UNC is damn good and cam overwhelm the vast majority of teams with their size.  

He had a remarkable start to the season but has fallen off since then.  Draft Express has him at #40 right now (right next to Grayson Allen!).  Back in December I think I saw him in the teens. He might sneak into the back end of the first round but I don't think it's a lock.  I never blame a kid for leaving but I'd be surprised if he goes, he'll have a chance to play his way into the lottery next season.

I'm with you about last night though.  I guess he can't really share the floor with Meeks, but I think the would have been better off with Bradley's length and athleticism last night.  Or even going twin towers for a few minutes here or there, it's not like they were getting clean looks on the perimeter anyway.
Neither Meeks nor Bradley can stay in front of Tatum especially in the second half when Tatum put on his big boy paints.  That high post screen that Jefferson was setting all night was giving UNC nightmares (Meeks isn't mobile enough to either show or switch) and my guess from the times they ran it with Maye on Tatum would have been an even bigger jailbreak to the rim (even more than on the offensive end, this was the one area UNC really missed Hicks).  

As you well know, lots of guys go even though it's obvious they shouldn't.  Everyone knew Diamond Stone wasn't going in the lottery last year, and likely not even first round, but he left anyway.
Indeed, that's why I said "NBA draft ready" instead of NBA ready.  He wasn't an elite one-and-done type recruit, so he has to show something that scouts didn't see before if he hopes to make it to the first round.  He started to do that the first six weeks of the season but has regressed.  

Of course if he doesn't care about the first round and just wants to get paid even if that means a stint in the D League to start, he should go for it.

Has the decrease in production matched up with the concussion he suffered? Have his minutes gone down since then? (I honestly don't know, as I probably only watch like a quarter of unc's games)

I could have sworn I heard that he'd be first in the nation in offensive rebounding percentage if he had enough minutes to qualify. 

Indeed, that's why I said "NBA draft ready" instead of NBA ready.  He wasn't an elite one-and-done type recruit, so he has to show something that scouts didn't see before if he hopes to make it to the first round.  He started to do that the first six weeks of the season but has regressed.  

Of course if he doesn't care about the first round and just wants to get paid even if that means a stint in the D League to start, he should go for it.
Yeah...I also think the NBA season has worked against him (Bolden and a couple of other guys too for that matter) as they keep progressing devaluing pure 5s.  

That's also why I think Jackson's as good as gone.  Pure "3"s that can shoot are a rare NBA commodity and while draftexpress still has him in the low 30s, I won't be shocked if slowly filters into the lower part of the first round.  He has an NBA future especially if he can add 20 more pounds as he matures. Reminds me a lot of Danny Green's progression.   

Yeah...I also think the NBA season has worked against him (Bolden and a couple of other guys too for that matter) as they keep progressing devaluing pure 5s.  

That's also why I think Jackson's as good as gone.  Pure "3"s that can shoot are a rare NBA commodity and while draftexpress still has him in the low 30s, I won't be shocked if slowly filters into the lower part of the first round.  He has an NBA future especially if he can add 20 more pounds as he matures. Reminds me a lot of Danny Green's progression.   
He's turned into a really nice player

TobiasFunke said:
You're quite right across the board...but I remember many times watching UNC come down the court and chuck up an ill-advised three.  I'd think, "Thank God, they're dumb!"

UNC made up for it by making a bunch of mid-range shots...just inside the arc a number of times.

I just saw Duke in foul trouble early...UNC chucking mid-range and threes when they should've been pounding it down and working those fouls even more.

The formula is always the same to beat Duke...drive, drive, drive...even if Duke's threes are killing you...eventually the fouls will pile up and Duke will have to sit major pieces of their unit.  They rely heavily on just their starters...honestly usually just 1 or 2 players...while rotating the others.

You're quite right across the board...but I remember many times watching UNC come down the court and chuck up an ill-advised three.  I'd think, "Thank God, they're dumb!"

UNC made up for it by making a bunch of mid-range shots...just inside the arc a number of times.

I just saw Duke in foul trouble early...UNC chucking mid-range and threes when they should've been pounding it down and working those fouls even more.

The formula is always the same to beat Duke...drive, drive, drive...even if Duke's threes are killing you...eventually the fouls will pile up and Duke will have to sit major pieces of their unit.  They rely heavily on just their starters...honestly usually just 1 or 2 players...while rotating the others.
Yeah the Heels made some early jump shots inside the arc that were fool's gold.

Another weird thing last night is that they'd drive but then throw up wild shots from 10-15 feet instead of going straight to the bucket looking for contact or a layup,or even squaring and taking a midrange jumper. It was almost as if they were petrified of getting their shot blocked, which is weird because Duke isn't really a shot-blocking team.

Anyway, if I was a Duke fan I'd be pretty happy with the talent and the progress on display, if not necessarily the performance last night. Sure you'd expect to win a little more comfortably against a UNC team that's missing Hicks and couldn't hit their 3s and FTs, but Tatum was clearly the most talented guy on the floor and college teams are gonna have a hard time handling someone like him in March. Add that to what you get from Kennard and apparently Allen now and you're in good shape on offense. The defense is a bit of a question mark but they did an impressive job preventing clean looks from 3, which is always useful if you want to avoid upsets in the tourney.

Yeah the Heels made some early jump shots inside the arc that were fool's gold.

Another weird thing last night is that they'd drive but then throw up wild shots from 10-15 feet instead of going straight to the bucket looking for contact or a layup,or even squaring and taking a midrange jumper. It was almost as if they were petrified of getting their shot blocked, which is weird because Duke isn't really a shot-blocking team.

Anyway, if I was a Duke fan I'd be pretty happy with the talent and the progress on display, if not necessarily the performance last night. Sure you'd expect to win a little more comfortably against a UNC team that's missing Hicks and couldn't hit their 3s and FTs, but Tatum was clearly the most talented guy on the floor and college teams are gonna have a hard time handling someone like him in March. Add that to what you get from Kennard and apparently Allen now and you're in good shape on offense. The defense is a bit of a question mark but they did an impressive job preventing clean looks from 3, which is always useful if you want to avoid upsets in the tourney.
I'm definitely happy with the win...and you're right...they appear to be gelling better of late.

But Duke could be undefeated and I'll still look for areas of improvement.

I'm just concerned when the three doesn't fall...where will the offense come from?

But I like what I see...they're hopefully going to go on a run now and play up to those astronomical preseason expectations.

How long is Hick's out?

Is it just me or has Amile's offensive game really digressed since his injury?  He looked like a force early on generating a lot of his own offense.  I'm not seeing that anymore.   

A win is a win. But Duke can play with anyone. And that goes for both top teams and mediocre ones. This Duke team will be an enigma. First weekend exit or Final 4 contender. Think they end up in that 4/5 seed where they'll face a tough first round match up. Much prefer a weak power 5 than a strong mid major.  Could just see a senior laden team with great guard play tear this team apart. 

Yep, saw a thread on another site about it. Not good, BUT at least there was only like 2 minutes left in the game, and they were down by a ton...but clearly State is a train wreck right now. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread