What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2017 ACC Sports (1 Viewer)

I don't even understand that
I guess if you are tying to argue for Anya, I guess you could say he was point to Dorn to tell him to back up but thats a reach.  Especially since it appears Anya is looking at the ref and Anya hasnt even turned his fat ### around to even attempt to run up the court. 

Total dysfunction for NCSU

I guess if you are tying to argue for Anya, I guess you could say he was point to Dorn to tell him to back up but thats a reach.  Especially since it appears Anya is looking at the ref and Anya hasnt even turned his fat ### around to even attempt to run up the court. 

Total dysfunction for NCSU
No, I'm not arguing that at all. I don't understand what Anya was doing. 

No, I'm not arguing that at all. I don't understand what Anya was doing. 
I know you are not arguing I was just trying to play devils advocate and argue for anya but damn that is hard after watching that a few times.  He just stands there while everyone runs up the court and then points.  Its lol funny

Shame on Anya. I don't think he was ever going to be an NBA player or anything, but if he was in shape, he could have played somewhere. Instead, he put 100 lbs back on.

How does that even happen over the course of basically a summer?

Shame on Anya. I don't think he was ever going to be an NBA player or anything, but if he was in shape, he could have played somewhere. Instead, he put 100 lbs back on.

How does that even happen over the course of basically a summer?
those munchies are relentless

Conflicting reports that Gottfried has been fired immediately or will be fired at the conclusion of the season. The latter report claims State has sent out feelers to Archie Miller, which State has generically denied (haven't contacted any coaches) in a manner that leaves open the possibility that State's people could have reached out to Miller's people.

Given the reports are out, I would like State to cut to the chase and fire him. He has obviously lost the team, if he ever had it. It is at least possible they would compete harder for an interim coach.

Two straight State MBB coaching searches have been disasters... could the third time be the charm? Hoping against hope...

State deserves better. And you'd think this would be a good time to sell this job, as we know in the near future K and Roy will retire. I would think this could be a very good gig for someone. The conference is better when State is better. I hope they get a nice upgrade...at least one that would actually give them a chance to beat UNC for once, as they appear to have no problem upsetting Duke  :wall:

we know in the near future K and Roy will retire
Not just them. All of these current coaches are 64+: K, Roy, Larranaga, Pitino, Boeheim, Hamilton (didn't realize he is 68!). At least 4 of those coaches are HOFers, and the others (Hamilton and Larranaga) have been very good relative to their program histories. I'm sure many of those jobs will be appealing to other good coaches as replacements, but there will inevitably be some regression.

Of course, I had similar thoughts about this opportunity when Gott was hired, and that didn't pan out...

I'm guessing Louisville ends up winning the regular season
Very possible but I think FSU has the easiest schedule. Tough road game at Duke but they get BC and Miami and home and go to Pitt and Clemson.  I'd be surprised if they win out but 4 and 1 is very possible.

State is going to hire a lesser known up and comer.  Mark it down.  I would love Archie but I don't think it's going to happen.

I haven't watched his teams play but Kevin Keatts (UNCW) is intriguing to me.  Won big on the high school level (262–17, two national championships), and has done really well at UNCW over his first three years.  Good recruiting ties on the east coast.

We'll see.

Last edited by a moderator:
just saw that fbg created a basketball forum for some reason. just in case, i'm changing the thread title to ACC Sports. prefer to keep this thread in the ffa.

State is going to hire a lesser known up and comer.  Mark it down.  I would love Archie but I don't think it's going to happen.

I haven't watched his teams play but Kevin Keatts (UNCW) is intriguing to me.  Won big on the high school level (262–17, two national championships), and has done really well at UNCW over his first three years.  Good recruiting ties on the east coast.

We'll see.
why cant State get Archie?  What are big programs are going to open up?

If State cannot get an alum, whose wife I believe is an alum and is from NC then Yow needs to take long hard look in the mirror.

why cant State get Archie?  What are big programs are going to open up?

If State cannot get an alum, whose wife I believe is an alum and is from NC then Yow needs to take long hard look in the mirror.
:shrug:

State fans need to take a long hard look in the mirror.

The last two coaching searches definitively prove that the job is just not as good as State fans think it is.

:shrug:

State fans need to take a long hard look in the mirror.

The last two coaching searches definitively prove that the job is just not as good as State fans think it is.
Nah I think they were bungled from the word go.  And by reading the NandO yesterday it seems like this one is off to a smashing success.

State pays Gott a top 20 salary, has a great place to play, loyal fans in the best conference.  We should not have to settle for Lowe or Gott.  Someone worth while will take the job if its presented right.  I dont think Yow is the person for that. 

Just in case it went unnoticed, Pitt managed to find yet another remarkable way to lose, this time to VaTech.  After chipping away at a 14 point lead, Tech has it narrowed to 6 with about 5:00 left.  Pitt takes a bad shot, resulting in a long rebound and a long pass down court to a guard who had leaked out and was two steps beyond everyone else.  Michael Young rushes back to "save" the sure layup by grabbing the left arm and waist of the guard from behind as he goes up for the shot.  Since the ball was in his right hand it did nothing to stop him from making the shot.  However, it did result in an intentional/flagrant 1 call, so it's the basket, 2 foul shots plus the ball.  Makes both foul shots and the resulting possession ends with a 3.  7 points in one trip down the court and the lead. Brilliant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sadly, I think this is true. It seems like the job should be attractive:

• Facilities are very good
  • Compensation for HC and ACs is very good
  • Top conference -- high visibility, national presence
  • Strong base for recruting -- despite their struggles, Lowe and Gott both signed strong recruiting classes
  • Basketball is king, not football
  • Passionate fan base
  • Tradition of excellence, albeit ancient history at this point -- I think State fans grossly overrate this factor
  • Opportunity -- related to age of several other elite conference coaches, plus the 25 years of underperformance, which has moved the bar for success lower
  • Raleigh is a great place to live
And in the past two searches, coaches like Barnes, Calipari, Smart, Marshall, Turgeon, et al. all supposedly gave the job strong interest/consideration. Yet we ended up with Lowe and then Gott.

At some point, the results speak for themselves. If the reason is because ADs Fowler and Yow botched those searches, that hardly inspires confidence in a different result given that Yow will apparently have to manage this search as well.

:sadbanana:  

Just in case it went unnoticed, Pitt managed to find yet another remarkable way to lose, this time to VaTech.  After chipping away at a 14 point lead, Tech has it narrowed to 6 with about 5:00 left.  Pitt takes a bad shot, resulting in a long rebound and a long pass down court to a guard who had leaked out and was two steps beyond everyone else.  Michael Young rushes back to "save" the sure layup by grabbing the left arm and waist of the guard from behind as he goes up for the shot.  Since the ball was in his right hand it did nothing to stop him from making the shot.  However, it did result in an intentional/flagrant 1 call, so it's the basket, 2 foul shots plus the ball.  Makes both foul shots and the resulting possession ends with a 3.  7 points in one trip down the court and the lead. Brilliant.
Wow. That is pretty remarkable.

Sadly, I think this is true. It seems like the job should be attractive:

• Facilities are very good
  • Compensation for HC and ACs is very good
  • Top conference -- high visibility, national presence
  • Strong base for recruting -- despite their struggles, Lowe and Gott both signed strong recruiting classes
  • Basketball is king, not football
  • Passionate fan base
  • Tradition of excellence, albeit ancient history at this point -- I think State fans grossly overrate this factor
  • Opportunity -- related to age of several other elite conference coaches, plus the 25 years of underperformance, which has moved the bar for success lower
  • Raleigh is a great place to live
And in the past two searches, coaches like Barnes, Calipari, Smart, Marshall, Turgeon, et al. all supposedly gave the job strong interest/consideration. Yet we ended up with Lowe and then Gott.

At some point, the results speak for themselves. If the reason is because ADs Fowler and Yow botched those searches, that hardly inspires confidence in a different result given that Yow will apparently have to manage this search as well.

:sadbanana:  
Just heard JP Giglio on the radio in Charlotte... wouldn't go into details but confirmed that NC State (read: Yow) absolutely blew the Gregg Marshall opportunity last go round.

So yeah, that's why I think the cards are stacked against us to bring in a "name".

Have no idea how UVA gets away with these ugly games. Physical game yet neither team over 4 fouls with 4 minutes left?  

Ugly game...but that's UVA.

Duke showing some scrap in them...loved the defensive effort...although UVA really didn't put up much to defend.

Glad to see some other guys step up of late.

if Tatum and Giles continue this upward trend, I'm buying Duke as a national champion this year. The defense isn't great mind you, but its WAY better than it was earlier in the year. Even Bolden looked pretty good last night in limited minutes. Maybe we will finally see what we Duke fans thought we had with this class and group of kids. I know this, the ACC teams in the tournament are going to be very battle tested. I would not be surprised to see at least 2 teams in the Final Four and 4 or 5 in the Elite 8.  

CabinFever said:
if Tatum and Giles continue this upward trend, I'm buying Duke as a national champion this year. The defense isn't great mind you, but its WAY better than it was earlier in the year. Even Bolden looked pretty good last night in limited minutes. Maybe we will finally see what we Duke fans thought we had with this class and group of kids. I know this, the ACC teams in the tournament are going to be very battle tested. I would not be surprised to see at least 2 teams in the Final Four and 4 or 5 in the Elite 8.  
Bolden is doing good things on D when he is in there. However, when he catches the ball,it looks like he's never seen one before.

That "move" he tried to make last night was really bad. 

Giles continues to take baby steps and show flashes. Still stinks in pick and roll due to his lack of lateral quickness.

Obviously an incredible performance by tatum but I continue to worry that he's gonna go hero ball in a big spot and cost duke a game. (Or even their season). 

Don't take too much out of the defensive performance last night. UVA's offense is garbage. Nice adjustments by K to go to the 3/4 court press and throw them off their rhythm. 

Bolden is doing good things on D when he is in there. However, when he catches the ball,it looks like he's never seen one before.

That "move" he tried to make last night was really bad. 

Giles continues to take baby steps and show flashes. Still stinks in pick and roll due to his lack of lateral quickness.

Obviously an incredible performance by tatum but I continue to worry that he's gonna go hero ball in a big spot and cost duke a game. (Or even their season). 

Don't take too much out of the defensive performance last night. UVA's offense is garbage. Nice adjustments by K to go to the 3/4 court press and throw them off their rhythm. 
I sort of disagree...he obviously missing some of that quickness, but I do think he has an excellent grasp of how to either slip it or where/when to roll off the pick he set (i.e he takes good angles to the basket).  Neither Kennard nor Allen are very good at getting him the ball off that roll and when they do he's so amped he doesn't execute well on receiving the pass, but I do think there is something there.  

Users who are viewing this thread