What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***2019 Kentucky Derby Thread & More*** (1 Viewer)

Plan for now:

Roadster/Omaha Beach/Long Range Toddy trifecta box.

Small bet on Long Range Toddy across the board.

Omaha Beach exacta wheel with the field

Mike Smith choosing Omaha Beach really changes how I'm looking at Roadster.

Plan for now:

liking the plan for now.  means you are thinking.  things can change along with the plan as certainly as I type this.

Plan for now:

Wow. I need to watch Omaha Beach’s race. I thought Roadster looked great but Smith rarely makes a wrong choice. 

Going shopping after work for my duds.  Going to buy a fedora, a pink shirt and something that's not jeans nor cargo shorts.  Should also consider some new shoes that aren't old man sneakers.  

First stop is Nordstom's Rack.  I'm poor. :bag:
We will looka lika twins!

Also, my house is officially book to the party people for the week.

I will be stay'n at parents during this, but, I am very available to buy yous guys a brew or 20.

Lemme know yer details when possible. No rush. I'll be here all life.

I will be stay'n at parents during this, but, I am very available to buy yous guys a brew or 20.

Got any suggestions for a spot for breakfast near the track for Friday morning?  

Got any suggestions for a spot for breakfast near the track for Friday morning?  
Wagner's Pharmacy = top notch & old tradition.

Could be crowded tho.

If too busy for ya, I'll make some squirrel omelets. 😁

My contribution to the more serious side of this thread is a horse currently listed at 8-1. Will need decent pace up front to finish well while also breaking a couple cold streaks among the connections. And he is a grey horse, which will help if your eyes are bleary by race time.

https://www.kentuckyderby.com/horses/tacitus
Researched this horse today.  Son of Tapit.  

Also, your outfit choice under serious consideration.  Huge help!

My Qualifying horses

-----------------------------------

Roadster 9/2

Maximum Security 8/1

Game Winner 8/1

Code of Honor 25/1

Cutting Humor 30/1

Spinoff 30/1

By My Standards 40/1

Win Win Win 50/1

Plus Que Parfait 50/1

Bodexpress 60/1
Just curious, why did you have Tacitus as a Toss? Not disagreeing, but that's one that I'm currently on the fence about. 

Looks super chalky depending on post position. I think the big 3 really separate going 1 1/4. I’ll throw out all the Wood Memorial horses as I do every year. Always a bad prep. At least the last umpteen years unless a California shipper like I’ll Have Another enters. 

Mandella’s horse is the goods. Question is which Baffert horse to pair him with. It all comes down to did Game Winner improve enough to hold off Roadster with an extra 1/8th. Regardless of order I see these running 1-2-3. Roadster is still the value to me. Omaha Beach will be chalk and Game Winner will get hammered. 

Last edited by a moderator:
boycotting this thread out of respect to @otb_lifer but have to register a GO MIKEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we gave him legs up on a dozen mounts when he had his bug 37 Mays ago @ Sante Fe Downs. can't believe he still riding at a top level.....................................

wikkidpissah said:
boycotting this thread out of respect to @otb_lifer but have to register a GO MIKEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we gave him legs up on a dozen mounts when he had his bug 37 Mays ago @ Sante Fe Downs. can't believe he still riding at a top level.....................................
what happened to him?   banned?  dead?

what happened to him?   banned?  dead?
quit the site over the last editing purge (yoga pants, in praise of), a few days after last year's Derby.@otb_lifer told me that he had fully complied with the limits set on his "In Praise of..." thread by mgmt the previous year, so could not abide the violation. even though Justify had been both our picks early on, he wouldnt follow the rest of the Triple Crown trail with us on that acct.

I just took a trip to the store - to prep for the festivities. 

The weather is gorgeous here today, and the race'n has begun.

Central Ave 1

Central Ave 2

We have a good crowd today, and my yard has quite a few cars in it.

According to local forecasts, the weather may be a bit wet Friday & Saturday.

Good luck all...now, back to work for me.

I had to cancel my hosted party this year due to lack of interest.   These people really need to up their game if they want more fans. 

I have the solution, the higher ups can contact me if they want.

Meanwhile i have an entire bottle of Woodford reserve to use up {Derby bottle} and i think it is a mediocre bourbon

Got it narrowed down to five contenders for now...

Maximum Security - only horse who's shown enough early speed to potentially get the early lead without being used up early.

Tacitus

Improbable

Code of Honor (probably not good enough to win, but could hit the board at long odds)

Haikal

Other than Maximum Security, these are the horses who have shown the ability to make up lots of ground late against decent horses.  They're not dependent on getting ideal positioning early in the race, and they'll be able to make their moves once things begin to thin out late in the race.

wikkidpissah said:
Is this gang code?

Is there a spot that hosts some sort of morning show where handicappers discuss the day's races?  They've got a spot like that in Saratoga called Siro's where two experts hosted a show and it was terrific entertainment and helped shape my wagers for the day.  Is there anything like that for Friday morning around the track?

Been reading some pretty awful reviews of Derby day from weary attendees who complained ad nauseum about crowds, litter, long lines, no food, congestion at the windows, etc, etc....is this is a case of the butthurt patron sounding off more than the satisfied fan who enjoyed themselves?  Curious what to expect from people who have gone.

Getting excited here.  Shelled out $275 on new clothes for the weekend, which is $225 more than I've spent on myself for clothes all year (had to buy some old man sneakers for my plantar fasciitis).  Pink linen Tommy Bahama for Friday, nice little purple button down for Sat.  I got some pants that aren't jeans but aren't dress slacks either.  I don't know what they are called, but I had a woman helping me.  She saw I needed help.  New brown shoes and though it took about 9 stores, I finally found a little fedora for my ugly head.  Even bought new shades.  

Giddyup.....

Is there a spot that hosts some sort of morning show where handicappers discuss the day's races?  They've got a spot like that in Saratoga called Siro's where two experts hosted a show and it was terrific entertainment and helped shape my wagers for the day.  Is there anything like that for Friday morning around the track?

Been reading some pretty awful reviews of Derby day from weary attendees who complained ad nauseum about crowds, litter, long lines, no food, congestion at the windows, etc, etc....is this is a case of the butthurt patron sounding off more than the satisfied fan who enjoyed themselves?  Curious what to expect from people who have gone.

Getting excited here.  Shelled out $275 on new clothes for the weekend, which is $225 more than I've spent on myself for clothes all year (had to buy some old man sneakers for my plantar fasciitis).  Pink linen Tommy Bahama for Friday, nice little purple button down for Sat.  I got some pants that aren't jeans but aren't dress slacks either.  I don't know what they are called, but I had a woman helping me.  She saw I needed help.  New brown shoes and though it took about 9 stores, I finally found a little fedora for my ugly head.  Even bought new shades.  

Giddyup.....
I've never been to Churchill, but if you're worried about the lines at the teller open an xpressbet account (or whatever) and bet on your phone would be a way around that 

Is there a spot that hosts some sort of morning show where handicappers discuss the day's races?  
I have no idea about any of this, as I am not a gambler. Sorry. 

I have not actually been inside track during Derby since 90s, so I have only ancient wisdom - but my opinion is this:

F'em! 

As a first timer, I don't think it will phase you too much. 

Yeah, there will be chaos & madness, but I think that is your strong suit, GM. 

You may - may - be pretty wit all dat work! 

Things are great here today. My yard is almost full. I turn over my house to renters on Thursday night till Sunday. 

Be sure to let me know when you are close. I think I may be going to track on Friday & Saturday. Still have some friends with plans in the building stage, but I bet I can find a way to buy a round of drinks somewhere. 

Back to work here. 

Giddyup.....
I haven't been since the mid-aughts, but I think the misery is way overstated.  Sure, the time I was in the infield there was filth and debauchery and passed-out drunks and nudity and vomiting, but that's what I was there for.  In the grandstand, it was much different - I never faced long lines or congestion at the windows, litter, etc.   It's definitely crowded and a bit of a madhouse, but in a fun way.  Maybe it's changed in the last dozen years, but I doubt it.  Have a blast and please post pictures!

I've never been to Churchill, but if you're worried about the lines at the teller open an xpressbet account (or whatever) and bet on your phone would be a way around that 
yeah, I actually thought of that and have an account with TVG which I'll use if the lines are awful.  Good looking out!

I haven't been since the mid-aughts, but I think the misery is way overstated.  Sure, the time I was in the infield there was filth and debauchery and passed-out drunks and nudity and vomiting, but that's what I was there for.  In the grandstand, it was much different - I never faced long lines or congestion at the windows, litter, etc.   It's definitely crowded and a bit of a madhouse, but in a fun way.  Maybe it's changed in the last dozen years, but I doubt it.  Have a blast and please post pictures!
Yeah. 

This. 

yeah, I actually thought of that and have an account with TVG which I'll use if the lines are awful.  Good looking out!
lines start to get pretty bad around 5 or so on Derby Day.  Prior to that you should have plenty of time to place a bet.  Well some may depend on your section, infield and 100 level more crowded than 200 300 level

oh and you can pretty much forget about getting any kind of cellular reception around that same time.  So don’t plan on trying to get on Twin Spires or Xpressbet when you’ve got 150000 people around you

my advice is play your derby bets earlier in the day

lines start to get pretty bad around 5 or so on Derby Day.  Prior to that you should have plenty of time to place a bet.  Well some may depend on your section, infield and 100 level more crowded than 200 300 level

oh and you can pretty much forget about getting any kind of cellular reception around that same time.  So don’t plan on trying to get on Twin Spires or Xpressbet when you’ve got 150000 people around you

my advice is play your derby bets earlier in the day
Excellent point, Dan. 

My cell reception & cable reception have been slow since Monday. It is only getting worse as the crowd is growing. 

Also, GM, you will want to check Churchill's website for what is and is not allowed inside. 

It can change year ta year, so I don't know what is currently kosher, but umbrellas were a no go last I checked. 

Anything valuable, should be stowed with care. 

I have had lots of customers over the years lose good #### at the gate, or walk back to my house to put crap in car that the track refused. 

Total gridlock.
Are you on the road?
Hey Ron. 

I just read this again, and it seems snarky to me now. Sorry. 

It was not meant that way. I was sincerely curious. 

But, it also leads to another bit of advice. 

Traffic is cyclical this time of year. One moment it's bumper to bumper & crawling. The next it is clear. 

They have adjusted the traffic routes the past few years, so predictions are difficult. 

One thing is still true tho. Figure out what side of the track your entrance gate is on & take the hwy exit on the proper side.

Don't trust Google maps to tell you the best exit for you. 

Hey Ron. 

I just read this again, and it seems snarky to me now. Sorry. 

It was not meant that way. I was sincerely curious. 

But, it also leads to another bit of advice. 

Traffic is cyclical this time of year. One moment it's bumper to bumper & crawling. The next it is clear. 

They have adjusted the traffic routes the past few years, so predictions are difficult. 

One thing is still true tho. Figure out what side of the track your entrance gate is on & take the hwy exit on the proper side.

Don't trust Google maps to tell you the best exit for you. 
Just wanted to add there are generally 2 races after the derby so you can stick around and continue to bet while the majority of the crowd clears out

Excellent point, Dan. 

My cell reception & cable reception have been slow since Monday. It is only getting worse as the crowd is growing. 

Also, GM, you will want to check Churchill's website for what is and is not allowed inside. 

It can change year ta year, so I don't know what is currently kosher, but umbrellas were a no go last I checked. 

Anything valuable, should be stowed with care. 

I have had lots of customers over the years lose good #### at the gate, or walk back to my house to put crap in car that the track refused. 
I'm taking:

Wallet
Cell Phone
Edibles (maybe)
Sunglasses
Reading Glasses
Light rain jacket
Racing Form
Pen

Travelling light, is the only way I fly....

Vekoma

Users who are viewing this thread