What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2022 FBG Subscriber Contest is ON - Update - 1st place is $10k + $5k to food bank of their choice (1 Viewer)

I agree with this.  I hung around until just before the playoffs, but I prefer the cut lines similar to previous years.
This x10000. 

there is enough randomness and luck in this contest that I don’t think that it hurts to keep more contestants in the early weeks. I too prefer the old cut line method. Like I’ve joked in earlier posts, I don’t really expect to get past week 5 or 6, and if I do I’ll see it as a “victory”. If 3/4s of the entries around out by week 2, I think that gives little reason for folks to keep coming back each year. 

I'm sure this has been talked about a lot, but I was not a fan of last years cut line.  You have a contest that so many people love to play...so much so, that it's a big reason why people keep coming back.  50% of the people were out after week 1 and each week after that.  By the end of week 2, 3/4 of the contestants were out.  It left a bad taste in my mouth when I was knocked out after one week.  I'm hoping the cut line looks more like in the past which keeps more subscribers in the contest longer.  When people have fun, they are more likely keep coming back.  

The info I was waiting for.  Good luck all.  See ya next year maybe.

If memory serves, I think the masses complained about the playoff contest the year prior, because there was no cutoff during wildcard week.  That allowed entries to only select players from the 2 eventual SB teams.  After the FBG staff heard all the complaints, they changed the cutoff procedure for the yearlong contest the next year, when, in fact, the complaints were aimed only at the playoff contest.  Again, I am just going by memory here.  Perhaps Joe and staff will bring back the old style for cutoffs?

If memory serves, I think the masses complained about the playoff contest the year prior, because there was no cutoff during wildcard week.  That allowed entries to only select players from the 2 eventual SB teams.  After the FBG staff heard all the complaints, they changed the cutoff procedure for the yearlong contest the next year, when, in fact, the complaints were aimed only at the playoff contest.  Again, I am just going by memory here.  Perhaps Joe and staff will bring back the old style for cutoffs?
great point. Pinging @Joe Bryantdirectly here so he can see these latest comments since it seems like parts of the contest format might still be wet paint. Bring back the old cutoff format for the yearlong contest, Joe!!! :)  

I'm sure this has been talked about a lot, but I was not a fan of last years cut line.  You have a contest that so many people love to play...so much so, that it's a big reason why people keep coming back.  50% of the people were out after week 1 and each week after that.  By the end of week 2, 3/4 of the contestants were out.  It left a bad taste in my mouth when I was knocked out after one week.  I'm hoping the cut line looks more like in the past which keeps more subscribers in the contest longer.  When people have fun, they are more likely keep coming back.  
I had to go back and have a look as 50% seemed way too high, here is what last year's cutoff rules were:

"A fixed percentage (25%) of entries will be cut each week, rather than a fixed number, as has been the case in previous years."

"In weeks 1--14, this is a survivor style competition. The lowest-scoring 25% of the field will be cut. The cut is based on scores from the current week only, and scores reset each week.

"Specifically, the cut will be determined as follows. The number of participants each week will be multiplied by 0.75, and the resulting number, if not an integer, will be rounded UP to the next biggest integer. The entry in that position, and all entries with an equal or greater score, will move to the next round. EXAMPLE: suppose, going into week 1, there are 12,327 entries. Multiplying 12327 by 0.75 yields 9245.25. We round that up to 9246, then find the entry that finished in 9246th place for that week. That entry survives. All entries tied with that entry survive. All entries that scored less than that entry will be eliminated."

I actually liked the 25%, we knew how many would be trimmed each week and it made it easy to follow. At least that's my 2c...

This sounds right.  When there were not enough entries to have a cut, everybody advanced even with ZERO for a score when no players were selected from Wild Card games.  It was a strategy that had never been so publicized in the past due to the high # of entries. 

Last year's cutoffs were:

Week 1 - from 9767 to 7326 (2441 cut)
Week 2 - from 7326 to 5495 (1831 cut)
Week 3 - from 5495 to 4122 (1373 cut)
Week 4 - from 4122 to 3092 (1030 cut)
Week 5 - from 3092 to 2319 (773 cut)
Week 6 - from 2319 to 1740 (579 cut)
Week 7 - from 1740 to 1305 (435 cut)
Week 8 - from 1305 to 979 (326 cut)
Week 9 - from 979 to 735 (244 cut)
Week 10 - from 735 to 552 (183 cut)
Week 11 - from 552 to 414 (138 cut)
Week 12 - from 414 to 311 (103 cut)
Week 13 - from 311 to 234 (77 cut)
Week 14 - from 234 to 176 (58 cut)
Week 15 - Finals begin

If history is an indicator, contest should open in right around 10 days.  FBG staff is gonna have fun pricing guys like Watson, Kamara, Godwin, Hopkins, Thomas, etc.  I hope they having the contest querier running, but unless someone volunteers to do live scoring, that is out the window.

If history is an indicator, contest should open in right around 10 days.  FBG staff is gonna have fun pricing guys like Watson, Kamara, Godwin, Hopkins, Thomas, etc.  I hope they having the contest querier running, but unless someone volunteers to do live scoring, that is out the window.
Thanks. I keep seeing the title and think I missed something. 

Reminder - check in here when the site is up and running again.  The contest will likely open right around the same time.

FYI

In 2017 and 2019 the contest opened on August 1st.  Perhaps the contest will open before the site goes down?

All Joe has said is that the forums are going down. Are the forums and the site on the same server?
Great question.  I just assumed the entirety of www.footballguys.com would be inactive until it's up and running again, but I am an internet moron.

Great question.  I just assumed the entirety of www.footballguys.com would be inactive until it's up and running again, but I am an internet moron.

No...just the forums.  Shutting down the main site would be like Walmart closing the two weeks before Christmas.

I'm in the same boat, but Joe has said that the daily emails will continue (he said he'd keep us posted on the forums in those emails). Since the emails generally contain links to the site, I'm interpreting that as meaning only the forums will be down.

I'm in the same boat, but Joe has said that the daily emails will continue (he said he'd keep us posted on the forums in those emails). Since the emails generally contain links to the site, I'm interpreting that as meaning only the forums will be down.

Yes.  He pays a provider to host the forums on their servers using their software.  Footballguys.com is on an entirely different server.

If history is an indicator, contest should open in right around 10 days. FBG staff is gonna have fun pricing guys like Watson, Kamara, Godwin, Hopkins, Thomas, etc. I hope they having the contest querier running, but unless someone volunteers to do live scoring, that is out the window.

If history is an indicator, they'll just make those guys more expensive than they should be, like all players.

Now that the whole Forums down thing is out of the way, maybe there will be time to address important stuff like the contest we all live for
I have a wedding to go to today, but if the contest went live right now, I would just say I have COVID and stay home.

yes...the I curse holder Joe for snatching away the football again. I think I'll meander over to the link and kick it while he's not looking.

Sorry for the delay here.

We kicked around a ton of different things and in the end, settled on something I think you'll love. They're waiting on me for some final details and hope to have things live in a few days but here's the basics:

Same format as last year.

Same huge prize pool of $35,000. That very likely could change in the future, but for this year, it stays at $35,000.
Included in that $35,000 is a charity component.
We listened to what folks asked and made the prizes deeper. Of course, that took some off the very top.
Grand Prize winner this year will be $10,000. Plus we'll be donating $5,000 to a food bank and the Grand Prize winner gets to pick the city.
Will have full details in a few days.

But it's on. We know y'all love this and we love it too. It's a fun way to bring the community together, generate a ton of fun discussion, and this year, give back a bit to a good cause.

Sorry for the delay here.

We kicked around a ton of different things and in the end, settled on something I think you'll love. They're waiting on me for some final details and hope to have things live in a few days but here's the basics:

You had me at same format as last year....the rest is totally cool, I just love the contest as it it! Thanks for listening to us @Joe Bryant !!

So it's now August 10 - where in the ^%&@ is the subscriber contest?

I hate to be that guy, but I think this is my final year as a "Footballguy"...service keeps getting worse and competition keeps getting better. I don't want to leave, but I mean, come on man. Do better.

I hate to be that guy, but I think this is my final year as a "Footballguy"...service keeps getting worse and competition keeps getting better. I don't want to leave, but I mean, come on man. Do better.
You are 'that' guy... You know the only reason you are here is for the contest and there is no other contest like it anywhere. ***** and complain all you want but come on man, your fake threats are insulting.
Footballguys have been running this contest for years and no other company has matched it. You are going to wait a few days like @Joe Bryant said and like it. Until then don't fake threaten anyone. It only makes you look petty.

You are 'that' guy... You know the only reason you are here is for the contest and there is no other contest like it anywhere. ***** and complain all you want but come on man, your fake threats are insulting.
Footballguys have been running this contest for years and no other company has matched it. You are going to wait a few days like @Joe Bryant said and like it. Until then don't fake threaten anyone. It only makes you look petty.

Thank @Skeptable but all good. If we open the contest a few days later this than in years past and that's enough cause someone to leave, that's 100% their choice. No worries there.

If he truly thinks the content is worse this year, then that might be best for him as I know for certain the content is significantly better this year. Especially with expanded IDP, Dynasty, Best Ball and Salary Cap. We've never had this level of quality content. But as always, that's for the customer to decide.

I do agree with him we always want to strive to be better. All good.

Plus we'll be donating $5,000 to a food bank and the Grand Prize winner gets to pick the city.
The two things I love the most about this post. Especially the latter. Football aside, I love that you do this kind of stuff, Joe. It will keep me coming back forever.

Thanks GB. I thought a lot about how to do this and I feel pretty good where we landed. I thought about Boy Club / Girls Club or Big Brothers / Big Sisters or St. Jude but a food bank seemed to fit best. And I love the idea of the winner getting to choose and we'll make the donation in their name. If the winner picks a big city, it might not make a huge impact but if they choose a smaller city or town, that could make a dent. And the winner can pick wherever they want, doesn't have to be where they live.

We'll at least try it like this for this year and see how it goes and maybe adjust for next year.

Can't wait to see pricing this year, lots of storylines happening in pre-season that there could be some very good values out there.

Only question is do I have the cajones to zig where others zag....:oldunsure:

What are your folks thoughts on the $5,000 to the Food Bank where the winner gets to pick the city? I am unsure how that will go over.
I love it. Absolutely could not love it more. If it were a 50-50 split I’d still love it.

It’s something that sets this contest apart from anything I’ve ever seen, and it is both endearing & engenders respect for FBG and those who run it.

Here's the new prize structure. Listened to the feedback from y'all and went an additional 125 places deeper this year with prizes.

1st Place: $10,000 + $5,000 Donation in your name to a Food Bank in the city of your choice
2nd Place: $5,000
3rd Place: $2,000
4th Place: $1,000
5th Place: $600
6th place: $300
7th place: $100
8th place - 225th Place: One year Footballguys PRO level Premium Subscription

I'm sure this has been talked about a lot, but I was not a fan of last years cut line. You have a contest that so many people love to play...so much so, that it's a big reason why people keep coming back. 50% of the people were out after week 1 and each week after that. By the end of week 2, 3/4 of the contestants were out. It left a bad taste in my mouth when I was knocked out after one week. I'm hoping the cut line looks more like in the past which keeps more subscribers in the contest longer. When people have fun, they are more likely keep coming back.

Can you folks elaborate on this? What exactly you didn't like and what you would prefer so @Contest Turk can see. We'll obviously never please everyone but we want to hear what you think. @menobrown @matuski @KingPrawn @Maggot Brain @steelcityman @JoeSteeler @TheWinz @Dacomish @joey and others.

Last edited:
I'm sure this has been talked about a lot, but I was not a fan of last years cut line. You have a contest that so many people love to play...so much so, that it's a big reason why people keep coming back. 50% of the people were out after week 1 and each week after that. By the end of week 2, 3/4 of the contestants were out. It left a bad taste in my mouth when I was knocked out after one week. I'm hoping the cut line looks more like in the past which keeps more subscribers in the contest longer. When people have fun, they are more likely keep coming back.

Can you folks elaborate on this? What exactly you didn't like and what you would prefer so @Contest Turk can see. We'll obviously never please everyone but we want to hear what you think. @menobrown @matuski @KingPrawn @Maggot Brain @steelcityman @JoeSteeler @TheWinz @Dacomish and others.
For some reason, I thought someone had posted the cutoffs from last year which basically dis-proved the perception that people had before last year started that the cutoffs would end up being radically different / more punative.....but then I'm too lazy to do the actual leg work.

Users who are viewing this thread