What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Pittsburgh Steelers. Banged up team loses to Buffalo. Looking ahead to 2024 now (2 Viewers)

In traffic coming home from the game and am ecstatic over the victory. We have many issues on offense and was frustrating for sure but we had to have this win

Just enjoybig the win tonight, will worry about the offensive issues tomorrow
It was an experience few can replicate.
As much as he takes ****, Collingsworth often says ‘How good was that?

Pretty ****ing good.

And with 100% sincerity.

The NFL experience greatly suffers from the loss of Nicholas Chubb. That’s a loss for us all.
It’s easily the worst part of the game and the win is diminished.

The Chubb injury happened right in front of us. Really ugly. Minkah was shaken up too but went over to Chubb to say a few words

Minkah later went off himself with a chest injury and heard this morning that he was taken to the hospital. That does not sound good.

Pickett still struggling with accuracy and decision making. He was under a lot of pressure as the Browns were really bringing the heat. We just got done playing to excellent defenses so hopefully the going will get a little easier next week.

Speaking of bad -- please tell me why Gunner is on this team. Does he have incriminating pictures of Tomlin or something?

Joey Porter Jr needs to be starting. Wallace having a real tough time out there last night.

If I were a Browns fan I would really begin to wonder about that DeShaun Watson trade. The two turnovers cost them that game.

Watson stinks, and instead of stepping up when Chubb went down, he played like a backup QB. A huge waste of money it appears.

Edge defenders won that game for the most part. They scored 12 points overall lol.

A win's a win but I have never felt more apathetic after a win. This team has no chance this year. The O line is a complete wreck, the QB is a disaster and the defense will get torched by even an average offense. They'll need the defense/special teams to completely carry them every week.

Also, why is our # 1 draft pick not playing? It's sort of a position of need.
Our offense was only able to score 12 points, I think most people will miss that when they see the box score. I still can't tell if it's purely execution, or if it's the play calling/design. On multiple plays our O-line was blocking in ways that allowed defenders to come unblocked into the backfield. And on many run plays it felt like the Browns knew our play before it started. The box was so often stacked on run plays that had almost no shot for success. Also, Kenny is still throwing behind players when they're in motion, one reason I think he likes throwing to A-rob, because he sits in the pockets of coverage giving Kenny a stagnant target.

Pickett still struggling with accuracy and decision making. He was under a lot of pressure as the Browns were really bringing the heat. We just got done playing to excellent defenses so hopefully the going will get a little easier next week.

Speaking of bad -- please tell me why Gunner is on this team. Does he have incriminating pictures of Tomlin or something?

Joey Porter Jr needs to be starting. Wallace having a real tough time out there last night.

If I were a Browns fan I would really begin to wonder about that DeShaun Watson trade. The two turnovers cost them that game.
As was stated elsewhere, we need to give Broderick Jones a shot. Dan Moore was getting manhandled last night and ended up on the ground a lot. Our O-line overall has been pretty poor, but we have gone up against 2 very strong D-lines. Seumalo whiffed on a few blocks, especially when leading the RB on run plays. Cole was dominated all night, that should have been a position we tried to upgrade. And Chuks was struggling, possibly because he missed practice last week, or possibly because he's just a mid level RT.

Having Gunner on this team is a failure of talent evaluation. His catch in bounds of that kickoff proves that he doesn't understand his position at all. Adding the fumble just was icing on top. Hopefully he goes to IR and is done for the year, never to return. I don't think we'd get any cap relief for cutting him at this point but his roster spot needs to go to a player who will actually help the team.

Said it last week, Wallace is the weakest link in the secondary. He often gives up loose coverage and then is unable to recover and make a play on the ball. JPJ definitely had some jersey on the last play of the game, but he's right on his man in coverage. Give the rookie a chance to shine instead of just letting the other team get easy 1st downs on 3rd and long. To be fair, Wallace might be getting hamstrung by Austin's "Odd playcalling" as put by Aikman.

The Steelers scored 12 pts on offense but it's even worse than that. One FG drive was a total of 5 yards. Austin had a great return and we didn't manage to do anything but go 3 and out. The touchdown by Pickens was beautiful, and the 2nd FG was a nice sustained drive, but the O only scored 10 pts that wasn't directly provided by D or special teams.

Saw this interesting tidbit:

"The Steelers entered the 4th quarter trailing the Browns 22-19 and gained -7 yards in the final quarter and won the game 26-22. It's the fewest yards gained in the fourth quarter by a team that overcame a fourth quarter deficit to win this century"

A win's a win but I have never felt more apathetic after a win. This team has no chance this year. The O line is a complete wreck, the QB is a disaster and the defense will get torched by even an average offense. They'll need the defense/special teams to completely carry them every week.

Agree with you. Doubt Tomlin will see the writing on the wall after a “win” significant changes are needed for the offense.

Demote Najee to RB 2
Listen to 80,000 fans chanting in unison “fire Matt Canada” Hell, Canada should just resign and take himself out of the picture.

As for Broderick Jones, he shouldn’t start but might have to soon. Drafted for his potential not skill. Technique is atrocious. Could he develop into a good OT, sure. Will he?

I’ve felt this way several times in the last few years. I sold my tickets to the first two (and the next two) games. Maybe in November I’ll look forward to going, but I’m tired of spending hotel nights, gas, turnpike, and food for this degree of mediocrity.

Agree with you. Doubt Tomlin will see the writing on the wall after a “win” significant changes are needed for the offense.

Demote Najee to RB 2
Listen to 80,000 fans chanting in unison “fire Matt Canada” Hell, Canada should just resign and take himself out of the picture.

As for Broderick Jones, he shouldn’t start but might have to soon. Drafted for his potential not skill. Technique is atrocious. Could he develop into a good OT, sure. Will he?
I didn’t realize Jones is that bad with technique. Was that known when we drafted him? If so why are we reaching so high on a guy who could easily bust? They had so many holes to patch up on both sides of the ball. I would think the best strategy would be to draft a guy who could help now. This is so frustrating.

"The Steelers entered the 4th quarter trailing the Browns 22-19 and gained -7 yards in the final quarter and won the game 26-22. It's the fewest yards gained in the fourth quarter by a team that overcame a fourth quarter deficit to win this century"
Does that count as a come-from-behind win for Pickett? :lol:
I don’t think so. The defense scored the TD so why would it count as a come from behind win? He literally moved the team backwards in that quarter.

Does that count as a come-from-behind win for Pickett? :lol:
I don’t think so. The defense scored the TD so why would it count as a come from behind win? He literally moved the team backwards in that quarter.
I agree, and mostly it was a joke. But I don't know how in-depth that stat is reviewed to determine anything. Do they just look at the score at the end of the 3rd and compare to the end of the game? What if Pickett had completed zero passes in the 4th but Warren broke off an 80 yard TD run (I picked Warren because Harris can't do that, lol)? Then the offense would have scored the TD in spite of the QB. Just wondering/joking about how that stat is determined.

And while I love Mikes isms
i agreed with most of the rest of your post, but i find Mike's isms very annoying. don't understand people finding them adorable.

if there was someone in your everyday life who routinely talked that way, everyone would think they were a total ***

i agreed with most of the rest of your post, but i find Mike's isms very annoying. don't understand people finding them adorable.

if there was someone in your everyday life who routinely talked that way, everyone would think they were a total ***
I did not appreciate his "We won't apologize for a win." when he was asked about the poor offensive play.

It would be nice if someone asked him "The Steelers offense has been among the worst in the league during Matt Canada's 30+ game tenure, when did failing become the standard?"

Our offense was only able to score 12 points, I think most people will miss that when they see the box score. I still can't tell if it's purely execution, or if it's the play calling/design. On multiple plays our O-line was blocking in ways that allowed defenders to come unblocked into the backfield. And on many run plays it felt like the Browns knew our play before it started. The box was so often stacked on run plays that had almost no shot for success. Also, Kenny is still throwing behind players when they're in motion, one reason I think he likes throwing to A-rob, because he sits in the pockets of coverage giving Kenny a stagnant target.

To me it's both and compounds on itself. Picket has little time, so he is in panic mode. Canada tries to compensate by calling crappy plays. The few times Picket has time, he is around 50/50 on his accuracy. The TD pass to Pickens was perfect. Others have been behind, ahead, too high, too low. The oline can't pass protect and can't run block. EVERYTHING else is compounding on this problem.

To me it's both and compounds on itself. Picket has little time, so he is in panic mode. Canada tries to compensate by calling crappy plays. The few times Picket has time, he is around 50/50 on his accuracy. The TD pass to Pickens was perfect. Others have been behind, ahead, too high, too low. The oline can't pass protect and can't run block. EVERYTHING else is compounding on this problem.

The Steelers offense has played two really good defenses and they played really poorly -- a bad combination. I thought the main problem week 1 was Kenny's decision making and inaccuracy. He threw into double and triple coverage and was all over the place. Last night the Browns really dialed up the heat and forced him out of the pocket and to hurry his throws.

Yes the play calling is suspect and I am in no way defending Canada because he sucks but it really is hard to call a game when your players aren't executing. The defenses they play the next 2 weeks are not nearly as good as the two they just faced so things should get better. If not, they're going to have to do something drastic, whether it be to fire Canada, shake up the personnel, or both.

The Steelers offense has played two really good defenses and they played really poorly -- a bad combination. I thought the main problem week 1 was Kenny's decision making and inaccuracy. He threw into double and triple coverage and was all over the place. Last night the Browns really dialed up the heat and forced him out of the pocket and to hurry his throws.

Yes the play calling is suspect and I am in no way defending Canada because he sucks but it really is hard to call a game when your players aren't executing. The defenses they play the next 2 weeks are not nearly as good as the two they just faced so things should get better. If not, they're going to have to do something drastic, whether it be to fire Canada, shake up the personnel, or both.
So much the bolded. While I am not a big fan of Canada, the bolded hits the nail on the head.

And you are correct about these 2 top defenses making our offense look even worse. Agree about Picket being inaccurate/rusty more in week 1 than week 2, but it didn't improve my much in week 2.

Demote Najee to RB 2

I didn’t realize Jones is that bad with technique. Was that known when we drafted him? If so why are we reaching so high on a guy who could easily bust? They had so many holes to patch up on both sides of the ball. I would think the best strategy would be to draft a guy who could help now. This is so frustrating.
Potential. Dude is very athletic and can get to the next level quickly for run and screen plays. Pass pro, he is a work in progress with poor technique

O line is the biggest problem. Can’t get push for the run. No running game equals full time pass rush. Kenny has decent - not great- reads and accuracy when his pocket is clean, but that is few and far between. Canada is probably bad, and Kenny and Najee may be only OK, but all 3 would look a LOT better with a decent O line.

I'm beginning to feel like Pat Freiermuth is not going to be the superstar I thought he would blossom into.
It's hard when he's asked to help block for a mediocre line all the time, and isn't the check down option. If we had a different OC who used the middle of the field, it could be a different story.

PFF “grades” are a joke. I just saw this in an SI article:

“For those who didn't watch, the Steelers defense stole the victory with two defensive touchdowns during the game. Alex Highsmith took Deshaun Watson's first pass back for a pick-six and then forced a fumble at the end of the game that T.J. Watt scooped and scored on, giving Pittsburgh the victory.

Neither were the highest-graded defender in the game. Instead, PFF handed Myles Garrett the top grade of 91.7. Garrett finished the game with one tackle and no quarterback pressures.

Highsmith was graded a 91.1 and Watt was graded a 82.6.

Highsmith finished with five tackles, a sack, forced fumble, interception and a touchdown. Watt finished with four tackle, a sack, a fumble recovery and a touchdown.”

I did not appreciate his "We won't apologize for a win." when he was asked about the poor offensive play.

It would be nice if someone asked him "The Steelers offense has been among the worst in the league during Matt Canada's 30+ game tenure, when did failing become the standard?"
The standard has been mediocrity for about 6 years now.

“For those who didn't watch, the Steelers defense stole the victory with two defensive touchdowns during the game. Alex Highsmith took Deshaun Watson's first pass back for a pick-six and then forced a fumble at the end of the game that T.J. Watt scooped and scored on, giving Pittsburgh the victory.

Neither were the highest-graded defender in the game. Instead, PFF handed Myles Garrett the top grade of 91.7. Garrett finished the game with one tackle and no quarterback pressures.

Highsmith finished with five tackles, a sack, forced fumble, interception and a touchdown. Watt finished with four tackle, a sack, a fumble recovery and a touchdown.”
PFF has had a love affair with Myles Garrett for years, 0 surprise there. Watt set the sack record and PFF was like, yeah, but Garrett wears brown and orange!!

PFF has had a love affair with Myles Garrett for years, 0 surprise there. Watt set the sack record and PFF was like, yeah, but Garrett wears brown and orange!!
Apparently PFF is based in Cincinnati, so they often show an anti-Steeler bias.

I am a huge Steelers homer, but Garrett was an absolute beast in this game

I’ll have to take your word for it

Agree Myles is a very good player. Didn't show up on the stat line so his biggest accomplishment was needing to be accounted for with double teams. He only had 1 solo tackle week 2 vs a poorly rated OLine. Not credited with any sacks, pressures, hurries, turnovers. KP play was poor even with a clean pocket. Opportunities were there.
TJ was double teamed just as much and had better results. Highsmith significant contribution for 2 TDs with pick 6 and strip sack for another score.

Give me Alex or TJ results over Myles every time. Not even close.

Very curious to see if the Raiders OL can bounce back this week against you guys. They've underperformed so far this season, dramatically so in Buffalo last week. Gonna be tough sledding against Watt and Highsmith either way, but especially if the OL rolls over again. I expect them to show way more fight at home coming off an embarrassing loss, but Raiders OL v. Steelers DL will be the defining matchup of this game IMO, and I'm not confident about it going in.

I'd tell you guys good luck, but that wouldn't be sincere, so instead I'll wish you good health. Cheers.

There are so many articles, videos, blogs, graphs, and memes out there right now putting the ineptitude of the offense into full view. There has been plenty of poor execution, but the evidence is so damning and so voluminous, that there is no way Canada should survive the BYE week -- or really this week.

Does anyone else think that Tomlin may have been calling plays, or limited Canada's playbook after the BYE last year? But after an offseason of getting Canada "his pieces" and pre-season success, Canada has been handed back the reigns and just has totally botched the whole thing?

We have a 2022 youtube video of a press conference where Tomlin talked about calling plays. Tomlin highly involved with offense play calling. Stated he more than suggests plays. As he should, Tomlin owned up to being ultimately responsible.

Personally, I was surprised Tomlin didn't make a change at the end of 2022. It'll be interesting to see who goes first between KP and Canada. Not trying to defend Canada here because he can't be our best option... but I saw live we had open receivers consistently in places where it makes sense they'd be open vs zone/man/cover 2 etc. Kenny consistently failed to make the correct read and deliver a good pass EVEN WHEN HE HAD A CLEAN POCKET. A good OC will recognize this and put Kenny in a better position to make the play. Designed plays to take the decision making away & scheme a player open. Warren is outplaying Najee by a mile. Recognize that and get the ball in your playmaker's hands. I strongly believe the offense can be fixed. Need to understand KP can't run the Canada offense and adjust.

If our Offense still sucks against Oakland, we need enough fans in the stands to start the chant again this week. We need a chant each week until change happens, whether it's scoring over 30 pts (unlikely) or a change at OC.

If our Offense still sucks against Oakland, we need enough fans in the stands to start the chant again this week. We need a chant each week until change happens, whether it's scoring over 30 pts (unlikely) or a change at OC.
I’ll chant real loud but the team will be playing in Las Vegas.

All joking aside. Tomlin isn’t going to fire Canada because fans are chanting. Any coach that lets the fans decide personnel isn’t going to be coaching very long

Warren is outplaying Najee by a mile. Recognize that and get the ball in your playmaker's hands.

I like burning that 1st round pick on a running back (which I utterly hated) less and less with each passing game/season.

Would have rather just paid Conner more to hang around a season and drafted one of the Cs (which I also wasn't that keen on), or somethin'. They could have found whatever production they've been getting from Naj elsewhere. Taking any RB at that spot was just dinsosauric thinking, in my book. "The league has totally incentivized high scoring and going away from the "running game/defense wins championships!" mentality, BUT WE KNOW BETTER! WE'RE GOING TO GO BACK TO THE 90'S, FOLKS! YOU JUST WATCH!" Whateverrrr.

I'm not in the locker room. Najee may be a righteous dude/teammate...but on the field he's been a pretty pedestrian running back.

All joking aside. Tomlin isn’t going to fire Canada because fans are chanting. Any coach that lets the fans decide personnel isn’t going to be coaching very long
True, it would take fans not showing up and that is not going to happen.

If the offense is still playing like this in a few weeks and they’re losing games, the chant will change to “fire Tomlin”. Canada is the most clueless coordinator in the league. I don’t think anything is suddenly going to change.

Users who are viewing this thread