What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Cleveland Browns - Open at Home v Dallas (1 Viewer)

Tony Grossi - "Now that Watson is unavailable, can any of your existing quarterbacks execute a quarterback sneak or do you have to rely on the tight end?"

Stefanski - "all things that we'll work through...again, that ball was on the ground. That was unfortunate. That hasn't happened this season...um...so we'll continue to work through it."

:mellow:
i don't get this one. that play has worked numerous times this year.

they fumble the snap and now it's Stefanski's fault?

Tony Grossi - "Now that Watson is unavailable, can any of your existing quarterbacks execute a quarterback sneak or do you have to rely on the tight end?"

Stefanski - "all things that we'll work through...again, that ball was on the ground. That was unfortunate. That hasn't happened this season...um...so we'll continue to work through it."

Huh? Who said anything about Stefanski's fault for anything?

I do think the question being asked is both funny and sad at the same time. I also think it's funny, but not unexpected, that Stefanski didn't answer the question that was aked. There was no criticism of Stefanski's coaching intended on my part here. If anything, exchanges like this highlight how stupid most of these press conferences can be.

For the record, I am a supporter of Stefanski. I think he is doing a fine job. That said, I'll go on record as saying I am not a proponent of putting the snap into the hands of a TE, especially in a crucial 4th down situation. I could live without that whole package.

I do think the question being asked is both funny and sad at the same time. I also think it's funny, but not unexpected, that Stefanski didn't answer the question that was aked. There was no criticism of Stefanski's coaching intended on my part here. If anything, exchanges like this highlight how stupid most of these press conferences can be.

For the record, I am a supporter of Stefanski. I think he is doing a fine job. That said, I'll go on record as saying I am not a proponent of putting the snap into the hands of a TE, especially in a crucial 4th down situation. I could live without that whole package.
sorry, i wasn't directing that at you.

let me try again with my interpretation of that quote: Grossi is being a ****, and basically calling Stefanski an idiot for having the TE in there. because the play didn't work.

Stefanski's response was basically, "hey, we've had good success on that play, it's unfortunate that the TE fumbled."

i'm not sure why they don't have the QB just run the sneak, but i'm going to assume they think that the TE gives them some sort of advantage.

and i'm sure if DTR had run the sneak and gotten injured, Grossi would be asking Stefanski, "Hey, why didn't you just have the TE do it??"

sorry, i wasn't directing that at you.

let me try again with my interpretation of that quote: Grossi is being a ****, and basically calling Stefanski an idiot for having the TE in there. because the play didn't work.

Stefanski's response was basically, "hey, we've had good success on that play, it's unfortunate that the TE fumbled."

i'm not sure why they don't have the QB just run the sneak, but i'm going to assume they think that the TE gives them some sort of advantage.

and i'm sure if DTR had run the sneak and gotten injured, Grossi would be asking Stefanski, "Hey, why didn't you just have the TE do it??"
the thing is.... this type of play 99% of the time the Defense and everyone else thinks it will be a run. so when you hit em with a play like this sometimes it turns into a big play if he can break a tackle.
I dont mind the call. it didnt turn out but sometimes you gotta allow the coach to go with his intuition based on how the other team is playing. my best guess is if the defense had a certain look the plan was to switch to this play and see what you can do. I'm ok with that.

on another note: any news on the QB situation? I have not seen or heard any
nothing official.

but i have a hard time believing they are going to start a rookie coming off of concussion protocol.

i also believe they've seen enough of PJ Walker (i know i certainly have), so that leaves you with Flacco to start.

i'm interested to see if he has anything left in the tank at this point.

nothing official.

but i have a hard time believing they are going to start a rookie coming off of concussion protocol.

i also believe they've seen enough of PJ Walker (i know i certainly have), so that leaves you with Flacco to start.

I am hopeful. he had 3 starts early in the year last season due to injury and he had 3 games of close to 300 yards. I did get to play in a game late in the year. not sure if that was a start or if he was an injury replacement but his numbers were not great in that one. Admittedly i have not had the chance to see what the situation was. its usually harder to come on in relief and if the team was already reeling that may not be 100% his fault.

but even if he puts up a dud in one out of 4 games thats better than what they have now. I'd roll with it.

I know its not THAT simple. Flacco likely only knows so much of the playbook as well, so that makes it harder. going in only 2 weeks after being given the playbook isnt usually a recipe for success (unless apparently your name is Dobbs) so if he fails its not 100% his own fault.

nothing official.

I am hopeful. he had 3 starts early in the year last season due to injury and he had 3 games of close to 300 yards. I did get to play in a game late in the year. not sure if that was a start or if he was an injury replacement but his numbers were not great in that one. Admittedly i have not had the chance to see what the situation was. its usually harder to come on in relief and if the team was already reeling that may not be 100% his fault.

but even if he puts up a dud in one out of 4 games thats better than what they have now. I'd roll with it.

I know its not THAT simple. Flacco likely only knows so much of the playbook as well, so that makes it harder. going in only 2 weeks after being given the playbook isnt usually a recipe for success (unless apparently your name is Dobbs) so if he fails its not 100% his own fault.
i think it has more to do with getting into a rhythm with your receivers than with learning the playbook.

Flacco has been around the NFL for 15 years, there's only so many plays you can run, it's mostly just terminology.

as a side note, i tried to find a Flacco thread, and the most recent thread i could find was from when the Broncos signed him.

Has DTR cleared the concussion protocols? I didn't think he had, so I assumed Flacco will be called up from the Practice Squad soon.

Has DTR cleared the concussion protocols? I didn't think he had, so I assumed Flacco will be called up from the Practice Squad soon.
Welp....Flacco is promoted to #2 and the official backup to DTR. No updates on DTR today, but it's believed that Flacco will be named the starter tomorrow (Thursday).

honestly its rare that a player can make all the hurdles in only a week.
We should assume ( at the very least) that DTR wont be dressed for the next game.

Fun bit of trivia....

Only once in the expansion era have #Browns started 4 QBs in a season: 2008 - Derrick Anderson (3-6), Ken Dorsey (0-3), Brady Quinn (1-2) & Bruce Gradkowski (0-1). Should Joe Flacco start Sunday, this would be the second time.

Oh...and Flacco hasn't thrown a TD pass since the Browns/Jets game in the 2022 season. So we got that going for us, which is something....

We should assume ( at the very least) that DTR wont be dressed for the next game.
That's where I've been since I heard he was placed in the protocols. I figured he would be out this week. Just glad Flacco is moving ahead of Walker to start on Sunday.

Even if DTR can jump over all of the hurdles in a week, I'm not sure I'd want to start him again so soon. I feel like rushing him back would only make him more susceptible to additional concussions (ala Ward).

That's where I've been since I heard he was placed in the protocols. I figured he would be out this week. Just glad Flacco is moving ahead of Walker to start on Sunday.

Even if DTR can jump over all of the hurdles in a week, I'm not sure I'd want to start him again so soon. I feel like rushing him back would only make him more susceptible to additional concussions (ala Ward).
honestly, this is probably the perfect place for a guy like Flacco.
he will reliably put up 250 yards of passing and doesnt throw a lot of interceptions. with a championship calibre defense on the other side of the ball, Flacco could be a seriously nice add for this team.

They dont need him to light the world on fire. They only need him to be ok. A good quality game manager. And this is exactly what Flacco is.
he has the skill to light it up on occasion but that isnt really his game. hes also good for one dud game per year. not much you can do about that but he is good enough to get the team into the playoffs. At that point anything can happen and you'd no doubt like having his superbowl experience on your side once you get there.

he will reliably put up 250 yards of passing and doesnt throw a lot of interceptions. with a championship calibre defense on the other side of the ball, Flacco could be a seriously nice add for this team.

They dont need him to light the world on fire. They only need him to be ok. A good quality game manager. And this is exactly what Flacco is.
he has the skill to light it up on occasion but that isnt really his game. hes also good for one dud game per year. not much you can do about that but he is good enough to get the team into the playoffs. At that point anything can happen and you'd no doubt like having his superbowl experience on your side once you get there.
Nothing about flacco right now can be considered "reliable". Cmon now. Think about how silly that sounded.

Nothing about flacco right now can be considered "reliable". Cmon now. Think about how silly that sounded.
he sure could be compared to PJ Walker.

depends on what you consider to be reliable.

for fantasy purposes hes not that great. but for football purposes. Hes not an interception machine. he just wont give you the high end stats like a Justin Herbert or someone of the like.
but he will give you 250 yards and a TD pretty reliably. if you surround him with a top D and a good run game he will manage the game as well as anyone.

and the guys that cleveland have cant do this. so the bar has been set pretty low. Flacco doesnt need to be better than the Justin herberts of the world. he just needs to be better than PJ Walker and (if healthy) Dorian Thompson-Robinson. I think he hits those checkboxes.

for fantasy purposes hes not that great. but for football purposes. Hes not an interception machine. he just wont give you the high end stats like a Justin Herbert or someone of the like.
but he will give you 250 yards and a TD pretty reliably. if you surround him with a top D and a good run game he will manage the game as well as anyone.

and the guys that cleveland have cant do this. so the bar has been set pretty low. Flacco doesnt need to be better than the Justin herberts of the world. he just needs to be better than PJ Walker and (if healthy) Dorian Thompson-Robinson. I think he hits those checkboxes.
Let me preface this by saying I prefer Flacco over the other guys.

I think if Flacco gives us 250 and a TD without more than 1 turnover and a couple sacks a game it will be a Christmas miracle

Let me preface this by saying I prefer Flacco over the other guys.

I think if Flacco gives us 250 and a TD without more than 1 turnover and a couple sacks a game it will be a Christmas miracle
if the matchup is good he will do this for you. if the matchup is tough, then its 50-50 but I'd take that over what the other options currently are in Cleveland.
neither of the other QB passed the eye test for me and then I looked at their stats and there is no way Flacco isnt the better option. once again I acknowledge the bar IS very low but Flacco gives Cleveland the best chance to win.

let’s be honest here.

the Browns need to make the playoffs for everyone to keep their jobs.

Flacco might be just good enough to make that happen.

I’m all for it.

I guess fire whoevers job it was to make sure we have a competent backup QB, cause the QB we play we have had, only a miracle worker can get to the playoffs

Honestly though, I'm absolutely not thinking people need to be fired. You lose your QB who is the highest paid in the league basically, what do you expect.

Honestly though, I'm absolutely not thinking people need to be fired. You lose your QB who is the highest paid in the league basically, what do you expect.
true. and when you pay this kind of cash to your starter maybe you cant afford a good backup.

true. and when you pay this kind of cash to your starter maybe you cant afford a good backup.
The Browns have the 3rd highest paid QB in the division.
They have the highest paid RB and he's out for the year.
The highest paid guard duo in the league.
One of the highest paid cornerbacks in the league, currently out injured.
One of the highest paid defensive ends in the league.
One of the higher paid tight ends in the league.
This year they paid out high dollars to FAs at safety, DE, and DT.
Have a high paid WR.
The Browns are a damn good team, better than most and they aren't only paying the QB. They have to actually figure out the payroll to afford all of the talent so paying high dollars to a backup QB who may or may not ever see the field isn't a good use of dollars.
The only people who say stuff like that only say that if an injury happens when the choice to pay high amount of the salary cap is made in the offseason when NO ONE KNOWS who will or won't get injured.
The Browns made great choices with the amount of salary cap they had because the team is the best in the division by far and no one could foresee the number of injuries or allocate cap space to cover all of the injuries that befell the team this year.

Been awhile since I've seen such a great team gutted by key injuries like this. This is a SuperBowl team and those windows close fast

Y'all got a really long injury report

How Myles Garrett looked 3 days after not being able to lift his arm, and what his teammates are saying

MKC with a little ray of sunshine for your morning
MKC has turned into more speculation than actual reporting. On Twitter/X, you can see where she will quickly report something someone else reported on, but change a few words or add her own opinions to it - most of the time they are wrong.

With Garrett yesterday, reports came out of no major structural damage and that he would need pain management and time to fully heal - but playing time is up to him. MKC came out with a similar article but more doom and gloom.

She isn't the first person I would consider a leading source in CLE, even though the talking heads at ESPN use her all the time on their shows.

Y'all got a really long injury report

How Myles Garrett looked 3 days after not being able to lift his arm, and what his teammates are saying

MKC with a little ray of sunshine for your morning
MKC has turned into more speculation than actual reporting. On Twitter/X, you can see where she will quickly report something someone else reported on, but change a few words or add her own opinions to it - most of the time they are wrong.

With Garrett yesterday, reports came out of no major structural damage and that he would need pain management and time to fully heal - but playing time is up to him. MKC came out with a similar article but more doom and gloom.

She isn't the first person I would consider a leading source in CLE, even though the talking heads at ESPN use her all the time on their shows.

Who is the most reliable straight shooter amongst the Browns regular beat writers?

The Browns made great choices with the amount of salary cap they had because the team is the best in the division by far and no one could foresee the number of injuries or allocate cap space to cover all of the injuries that befell the team this year.
Not trying to troll the Browns thread but really? Best team by far? ... If you say so.

Not trying to troll the Browns thread but really? Best team by far? ... If you say so.
If healthy I'd say the best, yes

Who is the most reliable straight shooter amongst the Browns regular beat writers?
People I follow (X handle):
Fred Greetham (@FredGreetham9) - OBR guy who is a straight shooter and provides good detail/insight/analysis into the Browns
Daryl Ruiter (@RuiterWrongFAN) - Don't always agree with him, but he does provide the news as he gets it
Brad Stainbrook (@StainbrookNFL) - Same as Fred above, and usually has news before it hits mainstream
Brent Sobleski (@brentsobleski) - Solid analysis and source for info
Zac Jackson (@AkronJackson) - Has some solid in-depth takes
Jake Burns (@jake_burns18) - Good follow for game breakdown and analysis
Jake Trotter (@Jake_Trotter) - ESPN reporter, mainly for the mainstream noise

I take anything MKC or Grossi has with a grain of salt. I like the OBR, B/R guys as they tend to get a little more access and analysis with their reporting. MKC and Grossi do a lot of clickbait non-sense (shock and awe opinions) with no real substance, IMO.

Flacco has hit 250/1/0 or better in 2 of his last 10 starts going back to 2020.
looking at last years stats playing for the Jets
week 1 (Baltimore) 37 of 59 complete 309 yards 1 TD 1 INT 19.5 fantasy points (for those of you who care)
week 2 (Cleveland) 26 of 44 complete 307 yards 4 TD 0 INT 32 fantasy points
week 3 (Cinci) 28 of 52 complete 285 yards 0 TD 2 INT

week 1 and 2 were good. week 3 meh but all 3 were considered to be good defenses

week 18 didnt look great but I dont know if he got the start or if he came on in relief (it feels like the latter)

year prior to this it looks like hes only started one game vs miami he went 24 for 39 for 291 yards and 2 TD (no INT).

so hes been decent at least half the games. looks like he hit the 250-1 threshhold in week 1 and 2 of last year. and week 18 of year prior. didnt hit it in week 3 I have only looked at this years and last years stats(so small sample size) but historically he has averaged less than 1 INT per game over the course of his career. so I'm inclined to think hes good enough for the team to limp into the playoffs.

excluding the QB position maybe......
but the QB position has been dreadful.

I think the phrase should be modified. Best team on paper .... in reality, not the best.

I would be perfectly fine if Flacco came in and had 50% completions for 250+ yds and 1 TD 1 INT. I can live with that, as it would keep the defense honest and allow the run game to work. Just manage the game, don't do anything fancy, and let the Defense eat. I'm perfectly fine with that outcome.

Joe Flacco is 1-10 in his last 11 starts dating back over 4 years. He’s a 38 year old jag who you’ll be very lucky if he does anything. Just trying to set some reality.

It’s been time for Flacco. That offense was a train wreck. They have a good enough record to be a wild card team, but not with Walker or DTR.
i thought DTR actually had a few nice moments, but yeah. you can't win consistently with a 5th round rookie.
This team probably isn't going far with DTR. This team definitely isn't going far with Flacco. I'd rather have him as a backup than Walker, but him vs the rook isn't a debate to me.

Stopping by to say that I think you guys will have the best QB play this weekend that you've had all season. Not as good as some moments from Watson, but steady and okay for a full game will be miles better than any of your currently active QBs.

Fred Greetham (@FredGreetham9) - OBR guy who is a straight shooter and provides good detail/insight/analysis into the Browns
Daryl Ruiter (@RuiterWrongFAN) - Don't always agree with him, but he does provide the news as he gets it
Brad Stainbrook (@StainbrookNFL) - Same as Fred above, and usually has news before it hits mainstream

I take anything MKC or Grossi has with a grain of salt. I like the OBR, B/R guys as they tend to get a little more access and analysis with their reporting. MKC and Grossi do a lot of clickbait non-sense (shock and awe opinions) with no real substance, IMO.
Great breakdown. Ruiter is a Grossi in training though. His narratives always follow his agenda.

I miss Lane Adkins.

Great breakdown. Ruiter is a Grossi in training though. His narratives always follow his agenda.

I miss Lane Adkins.
i like Ruiter.

i can’t stand Grossi.

i’m honestly perplexed at the comparison.

I miss Lane Adkins.
i like Ruiter.

i can’t stand Grossi.

i’m honestly perplexed at the comparison.
Ruiter reminds me of what I suspect Grossi was like 2+ decades ago. I say suspect because I didn't grow up around here. I transplanted in ~15 years ago wondering why this schmuck was on the air and...he still is.

Users who are viewing this thread