What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Miami Dolphins: Chop, Chop !! (2 Viewers)

What a complete & thorough *** kicking by Baltimore.

I don’t get to see a lot of Ravens games - their Oline and Dlines have some massive individuals.

The backup Guard is 370 lbs ?!
Their NT #58 (don’t know name) was huge - definitely has had a few biscuits in his life. Fell on his own guy and took him out.

Went downhill quickly once Tyreek dropped that TD.
Our front 4 on defense wasn’t mentioned until Sieler stripped the ball for a fumble in the 2nd half.

Not sure how they recover to beat the Bills?

Was thinking today:

I am 53. Have been a fan for 48 years - since I understood that there was such thing as football. Every season we theoretically have a 1 in 16 chance to make it to the Super Bowl. By stats alone we should get there every 16 years, roughly. We have been there one time in my 48 years of fandom and we got absolutely pummelled 38-16 in a game that was not nearly as close as that score.

We should win the SB every 32 years - statistically speaking. We havent even come close in my 48 years.

I have also been a Caps fan since I was 7 and a die-hard idiot Orioles fan since I was 15. Combined between all teams I have one championship from the Caps and it was in a year where I was so pissed off at them from the previous season that I didnt watch a single game until the playoffs.

I would like to talk to the manager about returning my entire sports fan life and trading it in for another one. One that works.
You forgot about 1982 vs The Redskins.

27-17 loss. The Riggins game when Don McNeal slipped going in motion on that TD run to put the game away.

But yeah....I feel you. I am also 53.
I cant believe I forgot that one. I live in a suburb of DC. I rooted for both teams at the time. That was the season I picked a side. Woops.

I don’t get to see a lot of Ravens games - their Oline and Dlines have some massive individuals.

Their NT #58 (don’t know name) was huge - definitely has had a few biscuits in his life. Fell on his own guy and took him out.

Our front 4 on defense wasn’t mentioned until Sieler stripped the ball for a fumble in the 2nd half.

We learned a lot about this team after the Tennessee loss. At least I thought we did. We will learn a lot next week. In my opinion, with the devastating loss and the losses of Chubb and X, what we learn next week will not be what we want to know. I dont think too many teams, regardless of coaching and personnel would bounce back too easily from this. I think this one was a season ender. Probably one and done in the playoffs again. Then next year we will probably not have Phillips or Chubb for the first half of the season. This window just got very tight. I dont see us coming out of this with any hardware anytime soon.

The question will then become what do we do with Tua. Is he really a $50M guy? I have always thought so, but I am starting to backtrack a bit.

Honestly its good to have this spot to vent right now. I dont want to let this linger into my personal and family life, but I am devastated by this one and this is a nice safe place to come and be pissed off with others who are just as pissed off.

We learned a lot about this team after the Tennessee loss. At least I thought we did. We will learn a lot next week. In my opinion, with the devastating loss and the losses of Chubb and X, what we learn next week will not be what we want to know. I dont think too many teams, regardless of coaching and personnel would bounce back too easily from this. I think this one was a season ender. Probably one and done in the playoffs again. Then next year we will probably not have Phillips or Chubb for the first half of the season. This window just got very tight. I dont see us coming out of this with any hardware anytime soon.

The question will then become what do we do with Tua. Is he really a $50M guy? I have always thought so, but I am starting to backtrack a bit.
Tua is not a 50MM QB

If we do that we are done. I say see how 2024 goes before committing to an extension and I say that because I don't see other teams lining up to sign Tua.....I just don't.

He can't make plays off script. Literally if the first read is not there and the ball is not out in under 2.5 seconds we are toast.

This was a devastating loss and exposed a lot of my concerns about what Tua really is.

Above average. Not elite.

People think Purdy is a system QB....nope look right here.

I was thinking about perspective today, and this is what I got:

Of the 22 players that start on Offense and Defense, Miami has FOUR that have not missed time due to injury: Tua, Long(LB), Christian Wilkins, and Seiler. That is the list. They have 11 wins with that mash unit. They have a week 17 HOME game against the bills for the AFC and except for the most unlikely of comebacks a few monday nights ago they would have had this wrapped up DESPITE all those injuries.

3 of the losses are to three of the best teams in terms of HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE.

I could sit here and be annoyed or mad about this, but the truth is none of us thought going in Miami was a Super Bowl team. We thought they would be "good", "exciting", "take a step forward" and if we were "lucky" they would contend. Guess what? We have not been LUCKY at all.

Now, we have one home game to hopefully have 2 more home games. If we miss out, we likely go to KC. Are you scared of the Chiefs? Are you scared of the Bills? Miami can share the field with those teams, and if Tyreek doesn't juggle that ball in the end zone who knows how that game goes?

Again, I am tired of being a pessimistic Miami fan. This is a good team with a good coach and good but injured players. Our window is just opening. Have faith Phin fans.

Again, I am tired of being a pessimistic Miami fan.

I'm tired of it too, but I am also a realist. These guys aren't winning a SB with Tua.

I'd rather trade Tua for whatever we can get maybe trick Russell Wilson in to signing at a bit of a discount to get another ring, and give him two years. There are a lot of problems with that plan, but it has a chance. Staying with Tua does not.

If you want to be a 10ish win team that beats up on bad teams but has little hope against good ones, Tua is your man. He will probably get you in the playoffs every year. If you expect more than that, you will be disappointed.

Last edited:
Tua is not a 50MM QB

If we do that we are done. I say see how 2024 goes before committing to an extension and I say that because I don't see other teams lining up to sign Tua.....I just don't.

He can't make plays off script. Literally if the first read is not there and the ball is not out in under 2.5 seconds we are toast.

This was a devastating loss and exposed a lot of my concerns about what Tua really is.
Tua has improved every year. He's reminding me more of Brees as time goes on. Brees didn't do much off script and got the ball out quick into tight windows. Compare them with the same amount of experience, they rate about the same in pff grade and other metrics. Tua needs to stay healthy and have at least a decent oline, like Brees. Health is the key. Tua does go to 2nd and 3rd read when there's protection.

I'm tired of it too, but I am also a realist. These guys aren't winning a SB with Tua.

I'd rather trade Tua for whatever we can get maybe trick Russell Wilson in to signing at a bit of a discount to get another ring, and give him two years. There are a lot of problems with that plan, but it has a chance. Staying with Tua does not.

If you want to be a 10ish win team that beats up on bad teams but has little hope against good ones, Tua is your man. He will probably get you in the playoffs every year. If you expect more than that, you will be disappointed.
Wait, the defense gave up 59 points and this loss was Tua's fault? Miami up 7-3 and Tua puts a dime in Tyreek's hands in the endzone that he bobbles and Tua was the problem? Miami Up 14 -3 and 14-10 after the ravens score is a different game than 10-10 knowing the ravens get the ball to start the second half.

Tua had a bad INT when they rushed the play before the 2 minute warning. I blame that one on the coach. Miami's biggest issue offensively is when they "rush" the offense. They need to break the huddle with 14-16 seconds to get set and to start their motion game. Anytime it gets below 12 before they break the huddle something bad happens. Not sure how any of the 5 losses Miami has had are on Tua. Maybe the first Bills game. The KC game was the Strip on Tyreek that was housed. The Philly game was the disparity in the officiating, and the Titans game was bad play calling by McDaniel in the red zone and defensive lapses in the 4th Quarter. Sunday was the defense having no answers to the Ravens motion game (which seems odd since the D sees motions in practice all the time).

To be completely fair, the Ravens owed us a stomping after what we did to them last year.

This sounds a lot like the Marino haters 30 years ago.

Miami is atop the second echelon of teams. San Fran and Baltimore are the top; Miami, the Bills, KC (as their offense is running right now), Dallas, Philly, and Detroit are the second tier. The Browns are at the bottom of this tier or the top of the next one along with Seattle, the Rams, Indy and the rest of the playoff "hopefulls".

Last year we were the third Tier. This year we are in the second tier. That's progress.

Wait, the defense gave up 59 points and this loss was Tua's fault? Miami up 7-3 and Tua puts a dime in Tyreek's hands in the endzone that he bobbles and Tua was the problem? Miami Up 14 -3 and 14-10 after the ravens score is a different game than 10-10 knowing the ravens get the ball to start the second half.

Tua had a bad INT when they rushed the play before the 2 minute warning. I blame that one on the coach. Miami's biggest issue offensively is when they "rush" the offense. They need to break the huddle with 14-16 seconds to get set and to start their motion game. Anytime it gets below 12 before they break the huddle something bad happens. Not sure how any of the 5 losses Miami has had are on Tua. Maybe the first Bills game. The KC game was the Strip on Tyreek that was housed. The Philly game was the disparity in the officiating, and the Titans game was bad play calling by McDaniel in the red zone and defensive lapses in the 4th Quarter. Sunday was the defense having no answers to the Ravens motion game (which seems odd since the D sees motions in practice all the time).

To be completely fair, the Ravens owed us a stomping after what we did to them last year.

This sounds a lot like the Marino haters 30 years ago.

Miami is atop the second echelon of teams. San Fran and Baltimore are the top; Miami, the Bills, KC (as their offense is running right now), Dallas, Philly, and Detroit are the second tier. The Browns are at the bottom of this tier or the top of the next one along with Seattle, the Rams, Indy and the rest of the playoff "hopefulls".

Last year we were the third Tier. This year we are in the second tier. That's progress.
Agree Gatorman.

Like it or not Tua is going to get paid and along with McDaniel they will be here for the next 5+ years and I’m good with that.

There definitely has been improvement in Year 2 - just hope the same happens with Fangio and the Defense next year. Cause make no mistake about it - the Ravens crushed our defense this past week. Defense better get their **** together to have any chance vs Buffalo this week. Last game of the season and they are at home with a shot at the #2 seed.

Doesn’t help that for the last 8-10 weeks they’ve lost a major starting player to injury every damn week.

Tua is not a 50MM QB

Tua has improved every year. He's reminding me more of Brees as time goes on. Brees didn't do much off script and got the ball out quick into tight windows. Compare them with the same amount of experience, they rate about the same in pff grade and other metrics. Tua needs to stay healthy and have at least a decent oline, like Brees. Health is the key. Tua does go to 2nd and 3rd read when there's protection.
He has not been lately....and I would take Brees over Tua all day.

He has improved each year I am just not a huge fan and not sold he worth 50MM

Honestly its good to have this spot to vent right now. I dont want to let this linger into my personal and family life, but I am devastated by this one and this is a nice safe place to come and be pissed off with others who are just as pissed off.
-It ruined a good chunk of NYE, everyone was down for a while. You bounce back but just the NFL grind on Sundays, I fell asleep by 10pm on NYE

-I watched the Miami season that was hanging by scotch tape anyways, just watched it go down the drain with the injuries and not just a loss but a complete butt whooping
So sad to see us fall apart this season at the end again, just like last year.

You start moving quickly to the off season but I hope those who cheer so hard and talk about McDaniel in terms of the next 10 years, pump the brakes.
He has some major problems with clock management and not understanding where he's at in game situations. This team was blown out already at 42-19, just call it a day but instead you dig a deeper grave and risk injuries just like you have all season.

-It's time to push back and start asking tougher questions

If Miami loses to Buffalo at home, they will play at Kansas City to start the Playoffs in Rd 1

If Miami wins against Buffalo at home, they will open at home vs either Pittsburgh, Buffalo or Jacksonville...oh joy!

1-Ravens, locked in
2-Dolphins, for the moment
3-Chiefs, locked in
4-Jags, just have to beat the Titans
5-Browns, locked in for the most part
6-Buffalo, could be moving up
7-Colts/Texans/Steelers

Apparently the Steelers play a role, Ravens will be resting almost everyone with the 1 seed and if Miami wins, Steelers win, and I think Jax wins, Steelers are here for Round 1
That is the best case scenario I can come up with for this weekend

Apparently the Steelers play a role, Ravens will be resting almost everyone with the 1 seed and if Miami wins, Steelers win, and I think Jax wins, Steelers are here for Round 1
That is the best case scenario I can come up with for this weekend
And BUF would be out of the playoffs. So, BUF could be #2 or out. Interesting.
Time to get the Sunday thread going!
Looks like the 2 Saturday games and the MIA-BUF game on SNF are the best of the weekend.

David Furones

@DavidFurones_
·
28s

Dolphins LB Jerome Baker has been designated to return, per coach Mike McDaniel, opening his practice window before potential activation off IR.He is eighth and final designation to return for Miami, effectively ending seasons of Isaiah Wynn, Erik Ezukanma, Salvon Ahmed, etc.

can't wait to see this game, but I do not think Miami has a chance here.
Have you watched the bills these past few weeks?
I've been too busy watching the Phins implode, tell us what's happening in Buffalo Land

-Have you watched the Phins the last few weeks?
The Offense looks nothing like it did earlier in the year, many reasons besides loads of injuries but that's part of it.

Last edited:
Firefighters battling fire at Hill’s home. Everyone made it out safely. Hill left practice to go there.

That really sucks. It would be really tough trying to prepare for a big game while dealing with all that.
$120 Million reasons why he'll be focused plus he has 3-4 baby mamas right now including his wife to soothe his pain
He deals with adversity all the time, it's who he is.
Homes down here in South Florida burn up all the time, they're made of palm trees.

:coffee:

Tua is not a 50MM QB

He was.....not lately.

Look he has been good to very good...but vs elite teams...not so much. And we all know he will never ever put a team on his back. He is not that kind of QB.

I love the kid’s character, and he is a great human being and hard worker. But he still has some serious limitations that IMO will prevent him from ever being a championship caliber QB.

But......I also know he is gonna get paid.....a lot.

Is what it is.

I just hope we somehow are able to keep talent around him in 2025 and beyond.....Grier will have to do a lot of magic in the draft. Because cap wise we are going into a world of hurt here very soon. And we have guys the we are heavily depending on that had serious injuries this season.......ARRRRRRRR!!!!!!!

Tua is not a 50MM QB

He was.....not lately.

Look he has been good to very good...but vs elite teams...not so much. And we all know he will never ever put a team on his back. He is not that kind of QB.

I love the kid’s character, and he is a great human being and hard worker. But he still has some serious limitations that IMO will prevent him from ever being a championship caliber QB.

Is what it is.

I just hope we somehow are able to keep talent around him in 2025 and beyond.....Grier will have to do a lot of magic in the draft. Because cap wise we are going into a world of hurt here very soon. And we have guys the we are heavily depending on that had serious injuries this season.......ARRRRRRRR!!!!!!!
Again, What are you looking for in a QB? What are you looking for in an offense? Tua and Brock Purdy are basically the same player. It sucks that the niners got their guy a the end of the draft and we got ours at the top of the draft but that is what it is. The expectation is an offense in the NFL should score about 28 points. If your offense scores 28 points you should win a lot more than you lose. Now, if your D is bad you are going to give up more than 28 points. The Dolphin D has given up less than 21 points 10 times this year. All wins. They gave up 34 week to the chargers for the other win. They scored 20 or less 4 times. All loses. The 28-27 titans game is the only outlier there.

So, If you think Tua/this offense is good for 28 points per game with everyone healthy, then it falls on the D to keep the scores under that. In the losses to the Bills, Eagles, Ravens, and Titans they did not accomplish this. The 21-14 game to KC is the only outlier here and that was a fumble by Hill that was the margin of victory.

Now, I believe this offense with Tua running it is good for more than 28 points per game if the O Line wasn't in shambles. He (and Purdy) are the perfect QBs for this system. You want to blame the system, that's okay, but again, Dan Marino could score in bunches. The Dolphins didn't win any super bowls with Dan because the defense always sucked, and when it finally got good (Jimmy Johnson) Dan was not Dan anymore.

Tua is not a 50MM QB

He was.....not lately.

Is what it is.

Again, What are you looking for in a QB? What are you looking for in an offense? Tua and Brock Purdy are basically the same player. It sucks that the niners got their guy a the end of the draft and we got ours at the top of the draft but that is what it is. The expectation is an offense in the NFL should score about 28 points. If your offense scores 28 points you should win a lot more than you lose. Now, if your D is bad you are going to give up more than 28 points. The Dolphin D has given up less than 21 points 10 times this year. All wins. They gave up 34 week to the chargers for the other win. They scored 20 or less 4 times. All loses. The 28-27 titans game is the only outlier there.

So, If you think Tua/this offense is good for 28 points per game with everyone healthy, then it falls on the D to keep the scores under that. In the losses to the Bills, Eagles, Ravens, and Titans they did not accomplish this. The 21-14 game to KC is the only outlier here and that was a fumble by Hill that was the margin of victory.

Now, I believe this offense with Tua running it is good for more than 28 points per game if the O Line wasn't in shambles. He (and Purdy) are the perfect QBs for this system. You want to blame the system, that's okay, but again, Dan Marino could score in bunches. The Dolphins didn't win any super bowls with Dan because the defense always sucked, and when it finally got good (Jimmy Johnson) Dan was not Dan anymore.
Gonna disagree on Purdy. He has the full ability to make off script plays and buy a lot more time.

If you can't see that....let's just leave it at that.

I would take Purdy in a NY minute over Tua.

Tua cannot buy time. That ball has to be out on schedule. Period.

Again it's my observation over his career here in Miami. And I am not bashing him. I am merely pointing out a critical shortcoming that has really shown itself against top defenses.

Our OL has actually played extremely well this season despite some injuries. they have given more than enough time for Tua to make plays and he has made a lot of plays this season. But when we have faced defenses that have collapsed the pocket quicker or had better coverage, he has floundered. The last few weeks he has locked into his first read too often. And he knows it.

Also he has missed several lay up throws of late. Which is unlike him because his biggest strength is his accuracy.

By no means is this on him alone. But again in my eyes he is not a top 5 stud.

Can we win a Super Bowl with him? Perhaps. Everything has to break right with injuries and damn it....here we are again late in the season and we have key guys dropping like flies.

The Dolphins are in a tough spot because they are going to have to pay him. I cringe at these QB contracts being dolled out to what I see has 2nd tier guys. It seems it's gotten out of control and teams are scrambling to fill a roster around these uber paid QB's.

Tua is good.....I am happy with how he has played this season. I am just not convinced he is truly that "guy". And he certainly is not a guy who can put a team on his back ala Marino, Favre, Montana, Mahomes etc etc.

That's all I am saying. And you know I grew up and watched the entire Marino era.....talk about a guy who never had a defense or a running game.....lord. What he would have done....and of course in the early 90's Buffalo had it all and was always in our way.

Tyreek has had two massive drops the last two weeks so he is not immune to some criticism.

I am highly concerned about 2024......2023 feels over already. That game last week felt like a giant thud. I have not even had the heart to watch Hard Knocks yet because I don't want to get into a crappy mood. I already moved on.

I had not been this invested in the Dolphins in 20 years man. We are cursed. These injuries to Phillips and now Chubb are death blows.

I had not been this invested in the Dolphins in 20 years man. We are cursed. These injuries to Phillips and now Chubb are death blows.
It's a blessing and a curse when your team is good enough to contend, and we are good enough to contend. I do want to see the nature of the contract Tua gets next; Grier has been good at crafting deals that give the dolphins "outs" or restructures so I am hopeful. Miami likely needs to draft another guy next year on day 3 and see if they can develop him. Bye Mike White.

I'm not counting Miami out just yet. The 2 seed is there for the taking. In the playoffs anything can happen and even with our injuries we have guys who can ball.

#2 seed there for the taking and I’m terrified of this game.

This is what I hope to see . . .

RUN THE DAMN BALL. Buffalo ranked 29th @ YPC. If he has Tua throw 40 times we are going to lose. Ran all over them last year and then abandoned the run game for the rest of the game.

Please have Ramsay cover Diggs. Double cover the TE. If anyone else besides those 2 beat us then so be it.

Not sure how any of the 5 losses Miami has had are on Tua. Maybe the first Bills game.

Say what now? :shock::shock::shock::shock:

The KC game ended with two WIDE open players in the endzone with Tua dropping the ball. Like literally dropping it. First when Cedrick Wilson was wide open for the game winning TD and the ball slipped out of Tua's hands as he threw and landed 12 yards short. Then on the next play when the primary read was wide open up the middle and Tua dropped a perfect snap to end the game.

Replay in case we forgot how that one ended.

Not sure how any of the 5 losses Miami has had are on Tua. Maybe the first Bills game.

Say what now? :shock::shock::shock::shock:

The KC game ended with two WIDE open players in the endzone with Tua dropping the ball. Like literally dropping it. First when Cedrick Wilson was wide open for the game winning TD and the ball slipped out of Tua's hands as he threw and landed 12 yards short. Then on the next play when the primary read was wide open up the middle and Tua dropped a perfect snap to end the game.

Replay in case we forgot how that one ended.
Ok, I didn't look at all of them. Fair point.

RUN THE DAMN BALL

This is what I wrote in the game thread. I think for Miami to really have a shot, they have to run the football. A lot. Control clock and get the ball in the hands of the explosive RBs you have.

In the game against the Bills last year the Dolphins were averaging 7 yards per carry - and then Just stopped running the ball.

Or, you know, Tyreek can go for 283 yards. 🤔

I certainly was thinking of Tyreek when I wrote that. I'm not sure his ankle is that great nor do I think he'll have time to run longer routes. Sure, if you get the ball to a healthy Tyreek a bunch of times where he's in motion or has a step, that's great. But how many times can you force feed him? That's my reservation and what I'm thinking.

I'm really thinking that a heavy passing attack with Waddle, C. Wilson, and Berrios is a bit of a waste when you've got Achane, Mostert, and a need to control the clock and keep the ball away from Allen.

The pickup of Mike White was a huge mistake. He's not better than Skylar, but was played because .... not really sure, maybe $$$. Aside from one tough half in the preseason, Skylar was superb. White indirectly caused the injury to Chubb by causing a lost fumble on his first play in mop-up duty @ BAL. The other former NYJ, Berrios, has underperformed. He bulked up too much and lost separation ability. Maybe we sign Becton next year on the cheap.

Next year, due to salary constraints, we'll need to go with the younguns.

The pickup of Mike White was a huge mistake. He's not better than Skylar, but was played because .... not really sure, maybe $$$. Aside from one tough half in the preseason, Skylar was superb. White indirectly caused the injury to Chubb by causing a lost fumble on his first play in mop-up duty @ BAL. The other former NYJ, Berrios, has underperformed. He bulked up too much and lost separation ability. Maybe we sign Becton next year on the cheap.

FYI...I've already worked the cap out for next year several different ways. Ogbah and Baker are about $30M to keep vs $6M to cut/release, pretty sure I know what Miami does.
-I can go player by player but in the end I can get Miami from about $40M-$50M OTC
Down to about $40M under the cap with a few cuts and restructuring almost all the 8-figure per season types such as Armstead and Hill.
What The Dolphins cannot do is go out and sign a lot of high priced free agents, that is something they cannot do.

Interesting interview on Eisen yesterday with Patrick Queen who basically admitted that both SF and the Dolphins had “tells”.

Meaning the Ravens knew what plays were coming based on either motion, something with the Center or Tua‘s cadence.

Would certainly explain some of the jumps the Ravens DE’s we’re getting and some of the Interceptions.

It the Ravens knew what was coming the Dolphins better figure it out before the Bills game.

Becton? No thanks. Hard pass. He is a walking injury.

With Hunt getting in a full week of (limited) practices and Eich also practicing (I know, it's Eich, so not that exciting) this might be the healthiest the OL has been since November. So that helps in a run heavy gameplan. Mostert looks like the wrong side of iffy to play however.

I haven't said a whole lot this week, launched the game thread as requested but pretty much didn't want to, out of embarrassment and ridicule, didn't want to dwell on it
I'm in a little bit of PTSD after trying to be relatively positive and imploring Miami fans to enjoy the ride day by day last week leading up to the game at Baltimore...

-And I ain't gonna turn my back on you guys now, we've come too far kicking and screaming together to let it all fall apart right now and start pointing fingers
I am a huge history lover for a variety of reasons but one of my favs on how this country was founded is how George Washington takes a rag tag group,
A group of men that had very little training, (back-ups) most were not professional soldiers and on the X-mas Eve, X-Mas Night IIRC, Washington decides to lead his group into battle
He leads that group that is hungry, many didn't even have proper shoes in the cold, feet wrapped in cloth and bandages, ice breaking apart their feet
Outmanned, Outgunned, but big on heart and they marched bravely
They took the British by surprise that night and the rest as they say is History

-FDR once said "When you Come to the End of Your Rope, Tie a Knot and Hang ON!"
Just Hold On and brace for impact, MoP is flying the plane and we're on the Night Train!

Finally burned through and caught up on Hard Knocks. I liked McDaniel before. Now, huge phan! My new favorite coach in the NFL.

Users who are viewing this thread