What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Team Defense & Defense by Committee Thread (3 Viewers)

I picked up the Patriots defense this week, seeing how they were playing the Texans.  But NE has an insane injury report on both sides of the ball.  4 out of 5 O-linemen are out this week, Jalen Mills out, two other Safeties Questionable, Shau Wade (CB) out, Ronnie Perkins DE out, Henry Anderson DE to IR.  This actually could be a win for Houston against that MASH unit.

Thinking of pivoting to either Cowboys or Cardinals.

Have Panthers, but with the Lions being down possibly 2 olineman and Hock not being 100% at the very least I’m kind of have my eyes on the Vikings.
Loved that Vikings matchup but I just dropped them to get Carolina for the long haul. Someone dropped Car and I had to jump on them. 

Not sure what everyone's obsession with Carolina defense is. They're down 3 starters including Shaq Thompson, Gilmore won't be there for 3 more weeks, and they faced the Jets, bad Jameis, and Houston the first 3 games. Dallas ran all over them for 245 yards.

I picked up the Patriots defense this week, seeing how they were playing the Texans.  But NE has an insane injury report on both sides of the ball.  4 out of 5 O-linemen are out this week, Jalen Mills out, two other Safeties Questionable, Shau Wade (CB) out, Ronnie Perkins DE out, Henry Anderson DE to IR.  This actually could be a win for Houston against that MASH unit.

Thinking of pivoting to either Cowboys or Cardinals.
In the same boat. NE was my Def going forward, but now I'm not so sure.

Not sure what everyone's obsession with Carolina defense is. They're down 3 starters including Shaq Thompson, Gilmore won't be there for 3 more weeks, and they faced the Jets, bad Jameis, and Houston the first 3 games. Dallas ran all over them for 245 yards.

In the one league I am starting them my other options are:

• ATL v Jets
  • TEN @ Jags
  • NO @ Football Team
  • GB @ Bengals
  • LAC v Browns
  • CIN v Packers
  • PHI @ Panthers
Titans had a primo matchup v Jets last week and were DT17. Ditto for the Saints who laid a stinker v the NYG. WFT v Saints looks good on paper but they've been meh all year.

Not an obsession, it's just that I don't trust any of the other options I have available.

Rolling with BAL, DEN and NE in my other leagues this week and feel pretty good about all of them.

Going with the Raiders defense against the Bears.  Didn’t like any of the other options available in my league. My confidence level is really low. Even with a potentially favorable matchup—it doesn’t feel good to be betting on the Raiders defense. Uggh. 

Why am I rolling with Arizona over the likes of Pit, NO, or Dallas? Am I that hard for Trey Lance despite his 20pt half last week?

Why am I rolling with Arizona over the likes of Pit, NO, or Dallas? Am I that hard for Trey Lance despite his 20pt half last week?
I think I’d play Dallas there. But they have been a turnover machine lately. And I just don’t think NYG are very good and are also beat up at WR in what was already a mediocre bunch.

Was targeting picking up the Chargers in my main league this week, and missed my window due to odd roster management mistakes by yours truly. Instead, the guy that grabbed the Chargers dropped the Broncos so I snapped them up. Should I be happy? Decent chance I can stop doing the streaming Defense two-step the rest of the year? Any team I may want to keep an eye on to pair up with them? 

Was targeting picking up the Chargers in my main league this week, and missed my window due to odd roster management mistakes by yours truly. Instead, the guy that grabbed the Chargers dropped the Broncos so I snapped them up. Should I be happy? Decent chance I can stop doing the streaming Defense two-step the rest of the year? Any team I may want to keep an eye on to pair up with them? 

Only problem with LAC is that they're @BALT next week and then have a bye week. I think there a legit all season hold, but for that reason I left them on waivers this week.

Going with Denver this week, grabbed MIA (@JAX) for next week, and then hoping I can stash LAC next week.

What the friggin' Davis Mills is going on with the suck NE defense? You clowns convinced me they were worth going after...hahahahaha

Vikings had 1 more point than Carolina in my league this week. Plus until the 4th qtr, Carolina had 31 points for defense. Their offense kept turning the ball over and costing them. Once CMC is back that won't happen as much. 

What do we got for Week 6? Not a lot of chalk. Best match-ups are:

• Indy (vs Hou)
  • GB (@Chi)
  • Cinci (@Det)
  • KC (@Wash)
  • LV (@Den)
I'm sure a lot of people will look to get Miami vs Jax. I would advise against it. Dolphins seem to have totally given up. There's also the whole London thing; games there can get wonky, and I seem to recall Jax has a very good record over there.

I'm leaning GB, just because I think when faced with bad choices, go with the team most likely to win. Also, since their Week 1 debacle GB D has been OK-not-great (7pts/game, which is basically what you're hoping for with a streaming D).

Cinci could be a good choice, too, but I just don't think their D is very good. KC will probably pound Washington, but that D is actively bad.

I'm sure a lot of people will look to get Miami vs Jax. I would advise against it. Dolphins seem to have totally given up. There's also the whole London thing; games there can get wonky, and I seem to recall Jax has a very good record over there.

I grabbed Miami right before the games started yesterday. And I'd now be petrified if I used them.

Isn't Tua back this week? Maybe that provides some stability for the offense anyways.

Not many great options. Based on what I see, Cinci would be the only other option.

We’ll see how Baltimore looks tonight, but seeing how good the Chargers offense looks, I’d be hesitant to start them. May have to go against my will and roster two defenses next week. Indy and Baltimore seems like a solid pair.

Exploring regression in Dolphins’ key defensive vets and damage caused. What metrics show

The foundation of this Dolphins rebuild, the unit that was believed to be constructed for long-term success, isn’t simply teetering. It’s collapsing, unraveling before our eyes in ways that nobody could have expected. When the Dolphins woke up Monday morning with a bad Buccaneers hangover, they stood 30th in the league in defense (permitting 422 yards per game), 30th in scoring defense (allowing 30.8 points per contest), last in third-down defense (57.1 percent are being converted against them), 27th against the pass, 24th against the run, and 20th in yards per carry against (4.4), plus 26th in sacks (nine). They’re 14 in takeaways (with six) after producing a league-best 29 last season. A unit that the Dolphins thought had been fixed has performed poorly in virtually every statistical measure. There’s unlimited blame to share among players, coaches and general manager Chris Grier. Personnel picks can be questioned, from drafting Christian Wilkins over Brian Burns, to selecting Noah Igbinoghene over Trevon Diggs, to jettisoning Kyle Van Noy without adding a player who has contributed nearly as much. But much of what is happening can be pinned on puzzling regressions of veteran players, most still in the prime of their careers.

Defensive coordinator Josh Boyer was careful not to blame anyone except himself on Monday. “I’ve got to change some things up to make sure we’re getting that production,” he said. “We need to improve in pass rush, run defense, pass defense and that starts with me putting players in better position. None of it was good enough and that’s my fault.” Among veteran Dolphins not playing up to past standards:

▪ Linebacker Jerome Baker: The Dolphins, optimistic he would take the step from good to great, gave him him a three-year, $39 million extension in June. But he has begun this season with a troubling five-game stretch in which he has missed multiple tackles, been a step slow in pass coverage and too often been sealed off by blockers in the running game. Perhaps the pass coverage has been the biggest disappointment, because that was considered Baker’s strength. On Sunday, he permitted all five targets in his coverage area to be caught for 49 yards, including a touchdown to running back Giovani Bernard.

For the season, Baker has permitted 18 of 22 targets to be caught for 178 yards, a 115.5 passer rating in his coverage area. That ranks 115th among all NFL linebackers. As a run defender, Pro Football Focus ranks him ninth worst among 81 NFL linebackers this season. Baker is at his best as a blitzer — he had a sack on Sunday — but the Dolphins inexplicably used him less often in that role before the Tampa Bay game.

▪ Elandon Roberts: The interception return for a touchdown against Las Vegas was one of the Dolphins’ top two defensive plays of the year. But his greatest strength — stopping the run — has been a weakness, according to Pro Football Focus, raising questions about whether Miami might have been better off keeping Benardrick McKinney instead or as well. PFF ranks Roberts the seventh-worst run defender in the league among 81 linebackers. In pass coverage, on the plays not involving the interception, he has permitted nine receptions on 12 targets for 133 yards.

▪ Xavien Howard: His struggles have been the most mystifying element of this Dolphins collapse, because no cornerback in the league was better than Howard a year ago. On Sunday, he was targeted nine times and allowed six catches for 123 yards and three touchdowns, according to PFF’s evaluation. For the season, he has allowed a bloated 124.6 passer rating in his coverage area: 20 completions in 32 targets for 327 yards, with one interception and five touchdowns yielded. No NFL cornerback has permitted as many touchdowns as Howard this season. It’s a shocking stretch for a player who allowed a 53 passer rating in his coverage area last season, with four touchdowns relinquished and 10 interceptions. In Howard’s defense, he’s most responsible for Miami’s only win because of his forced fumble when New England was driving late against the Dolphins in the opener.

▪ Byron Jones: He was torched on Sunday, permitting seven of nine targets to be caught for 102 yards and a touchdown. For the season, his passer rating against is 99.5; at least that’s better than the 117 he permitted last season but not commensurate with the five-year, $82.5 million contract. With the amount of man coverage that the Dolphins use — and the lack of a strong pass rush — it’s vital that Miami’s pricey starting cornerbacks play at an elite level. They haven’t in 2021.

▪ Eric Rowe: This isn’t entirely his fault, because his playing time has wildly fluctuated. But the veteran safety’s 123.9 passer rating against (16 for 19 caught for 101 yards) ranks in the bottom third of starting safeties.

▪ Emmanuel Ogbah: The veteran defensive end couldn’t muster a single pressure on 30 pass rush chances Sunday.

Before the Tampa Bay game, he was getting decent pressures — his 17 pressures are tied for 21st in the league among edge players — but the sacks have dropped from nine in 2020 to 1.5 in five games this season. His run defense has held up; he’s 14th among all edge players in that category.

▪ Andrew Van Ginkel: The Dolphins jettisoned Van Noy and Shaq Lawson with the belief that Van Ginkel would take a step from emerging young player to very good starter. But after filling the box score last season with 5.5 sacks, three forced fumbles and a fumble recovery for a touchdown, the flash plays have been fewer: 0.5 sacks and one forced fumble. He has nine pressures in 71 pass rush chances. PFF ranks him 48th of 100 edge players. He’s playing 57 percent of Miami’s defensive snaps, compared with 46 last season.

▪ Adam Butler: Rushing the passer — considered the free agent pickup’s greatest strength — hasn’t yet materialized into tangible numbers. The veteran defensive lineman has just nine pressures and no sacks in 144 pass rush chances. He had six and four sacks the past two seasons with New England.

In run defense, PFF ranks Butler 15th and Christian Wilkins 17th among all interior defenders. So Miami’s issues stopping the run appear more the byproduct of poor linebacker play. And defensive tackle Raekwon Davis struggled Sunday in his first game back from injury. While not referring to any specific player, Flores - when asked defensive areas that must improve - said Monday: “We’ve got to do a better job in the run game.” Other veterans have been uneven, including defensive backs Justin Coleman and Jason McCourty (who allowed both completions against him to be caught for 33 yards on Sunday). But if the seven aforementioned returning starters — plus Butler — were playing at the level they expect of themselves, the Dolphins might have been able to better withstand their offensive shortcomings.

ignatiusjreilly said:
What do we got for Week 6? Not a lot of chalk. Best match-ups are:

• Indy (vs Hou)
  • GB (@Chi)
  • Cinci (@Det)
  • KC (@Wash)
  • LV (@Den)

I'm leaning GB, just because I think when faced with bad choices, go with the team most likely to win. Also, since their Week 1 debacle GB D has been OK-not-great (7pts/game, which is basically what you're hoping for with a streaming D).

Cinci could be a good choice, too, but I just don't think their D is very good. KC will probably pound Washington, but that D is actively bad.
Hmm, this MNF game has me rethinking Indy. They're putting the wood to Baltimore

I'm sticking with Dallas vs NE in one league

In my other league I was gonna drop Denver but they face LV at home and with all the stuff going on there they might be a good play. I can't believe they only had 1 sack vs Pit though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Baltimore had me concerned, but they ended with an okay score. Not great. Didn’t lose my matchup.

They do have me concerned going up against the red hot Herbert. Especially when I’m going against him in my matchup. Though sometimes that can provide the feeling of “double points”.

I’m not sure there’s much better options on my wire (Indy picked up yesterday).

Baltimore had me concerned, but they ended with an okay score. Not great. Didn’t lose my matchup.

They do have me concerned going up against the red hot Herbert. Especially when I’m going against him in my matchup. Though sometimes that can provide the feeling of “double points”.

I’m not sure there’s much better options on my wire (Indy picked up yesterday).
I'm sticking with Balt again this week.  There's not much on the WW, but at least Balt has been fairly consistent so far.

I'm sticking with Balt again this week.  There's not much on the WW, but at least Balt has been fairly consistent so far.
Watching Jonathan Taylor (who I think is a bum) take those screens to the house and for chunk yardage and Baltimore not having a clue or an answer has me concerned for what Ekeler can do in open space.

But I’m likely risking it as well. Baltimore schedule gets pretty juicy after their bye.

I still think this IND can bring the wood. After that bitter defeat they will take it out on HOU. Definitely will be among the highest rated D/ST of the week. But as we know what looks great on paper can fizzle quickly.
I'm rapidly reaching the point where I realize there are just a bunch of mediocre options, most of whom will probably end up scoring in that 5-7 range, so not really worth sweating it too much. I'll probably just stick with Indy.

Incidentally, people keep starting DSTs against Houston and, other than Buffalo, not really hitting the jackpot. But I continue to maintain that Davis Mills isn't all that good and it will take a few more good performances by him to convince me to trust results over process.

Just realized Cleveland is out there in one of my leagues (presumably because of the LAC/ARI twin-bill over the past two weeks). Have been riding Denver all year, but they've really fallen off as their competition has improved, and after Pitt this week they face a pretty rough slate (@Cle/Wash/@Dal/Phil/bye/LAC/@KC).

Meanwhile, after this week Cleveland gets a nice run of Den/Pitt/@Cinci/@NE/Det. It gets a little tougher after that, but seems to be worth grabbing them for the next month. They haven't really lived up to expectations this year, but they haven't been terrible either.

Was glad I chose right to drop Denver after Wk3. 

Despite the Bengals dud in week 4, I've had double digit defense score every week. 

Riding Carolina for the next 7.  Min, @NYG, @Atl, NE. Then they get Ari but come back with Was and @MIA before the bye. 

Riding Carolina for the next 7.  Min, @NYG, @Atl, NE. Then they get Ari but come back with Was and @MIA before the bye. 
Doing the exact same. Tempted by the Chargers though, and also realizing that the Panther’s schedule during the playoffs and after the bye is really bad. Going to have to figure out my options then because the panthers train will end at the bye.

Doing the exact same. Tempted by the Chargers though, and also realizing that the Panther’s schedule during the playoffs and after the bye is really bad. Going to have to figure out my options then because the panthers train will end at the bye.
Same. But it's nice to have some time to think about it until then. 

unckeyherb said:
Steelers vs Geno Smith (honestly surprised that dude is still in the league) seems like a plus start.
This. As a Pitt owner waiting for them to get healthy and possibly turn it around, I was penciling in this week as a game where’d definitely have to pick up a streamer. But Geno Smith at home and maybe no Carson as well. Sign me up.

Just realized Cleveland is out there in one of my leagues (presumably because of the LAC/ARI twin-bill over the past two weeks). Have been riding Denver all year, but they've really fallen off as their competition has improved, and after Pitt this week they face a pretty rough slate (@Cle/Wash/@Dal/Phil/bye/LAC/@KC).

I drafted Denver in every league I am in.  Looking at their early schedule, I figured I would just cut them after week 3 and stream from then on.

Problem is, they looked so damn good at times I decided to stubbornly hold in spots.  Now I'm just thinking of cutting bait EVERYWHERE .  After a quick schedule glance, they really only have 2 "good" consecutive weeks much later in the season. I'm thinking weeks 14 and 15 they are @ home vs Detroit then Cincy. 

I'm certainly not one to hold multiple defenses during the regular season , although I may do it occasionally in the fantasy playoffs if needed.   I'm thinking they are now a complete drop and fade, and hope they don't do much, then try and reacquire in week 13 or so.

Who all you guys got that's flying under the radar and has a few decent weeks coming up?

TZM

Watching Jonathan Taylor (who I think is a bum) take those screens to the house and for chunk yardage and Baltimore not having a clue or an answer has me concerned for what Ekeler can do in open space.

But I’m likely risking it as well. Baltimore schedule gets pretty juicy after their bye.
I’m going against my own word.  I did some analysis on defenses playing against Jaxonville and other than that Cinci game they have a pretty safe floor with a high ceiling. That coupled with London games being a little crazy, and I grabbed Miami. They have not been great but showed up against LV… sooooooo…. Maybe?

I rarely carry two defenses in my short bench league but I will for now. Although I just saw someone dropped Jeudy due to bye week woes and I may have to go after him and drop either MIA or BAL on Saturday.

unckeyherb said:
Steelers vs Geno Smith (honestly surprised that dude is still in the league) seems like a plus start.
This or the Colts vs HOU for this week. The IND defense vs Lamar was an outlier, and they have some good matchups in the next 5: HOU, SF, TEN, NYJ, JAC.

I drafted Denver in every league I am in.  Looking at their early schedule, I figured I would just cut them after week 3 and stream from then on.

Problem is, they looked so damn good at times I decided to stubbornly hold in spots.  Now I'm just thinking of cutting bait EVERYWHERE .  After a quick schedule glance, they really only have 2 "good" consecutive weeks much later in the season. I'm thinking weeks 14 and 15 they are @ home vs Detroit then Cincy. 

I'm certainly not one to hold multiple defenses during the regular season , although I may do it occasionally in the fantasy playoffs if needed.   I'm thinking they are now a complete drop and fade, and hope they don't do much, then try and reacquire in week 13 or so.

Who all you guys got that's flying under the radar and has a few decent weeks coming up?

TZM

Was hoping DEN was a buy and hold but I'm dropping them. Completely unimpressed with how Big Ben undressed them. Thought he was easy pickins back there and zippo.

This season seems like it's week to week more so than I can remember. Combo of super dominant offenses and no true dominant D.

Right now have MIA and Cinci for this week and then who knows.

Remember when the Carolina Panthers were dominant, then once CMC went down the team changed. I still see CAR D/ST ranked pretty high for the R O S. That tells me FBG's are high on them at around the #3 D going forward. The DAL Cowboys are ranked fairly high this week and like #5 going forward. DAL has a bye in week 7.

Would you sacrifice the upside for week 6 picking up  CAR or just roll with DAL and hope for the next best in week 7? These are moves that sometimes help, sometimes not so much.

MIN @ CAR (6.33)  1:00 Cousins pretty accurate and in control

DAL (7.52) @ NE 4:25 On the road

CAR will get scooped soon enough...

Is DAL a hold?

I'm holding Dallas one more week, but man without that late td last week they would have been a dud. Still, 3 weeks in a row with double digit points and another soft matchup before they hit their bye.

depending on how Geno looks this week, will be looking to hop over to the Saints and hold them through week 10. @Sea, TB, ATL, @Ten. I'll need to probably fill that TB matchup with another team, but the other three upcoming games look pretty good.

Dropped BAL and picked up CIN as I thought about it more and can’t fathom starting them against LAC and red hot Herbert and screen game Ekeler after what Taylor did Sunday night.

Rarely hold two defenses, but my opponent only has Washington, and it’s a close matchup in a must win situation for me.

He also has Washington sitting in his bench spot all day which makes me think he’s going after the only waiver defense DEN.

So now I’m holding Miami and CIN, and may use my higher waiver claim to grab Denver over one of those others saturday ultimately blockading my opponent from a stronger defensive choice as the rest available are not good choices.

Then I’ll decide who to start Sunday betweeen MIA/CIN and Denver.

Am I completely overthinking this? Absolutely.

Dropped BAL and picked up CIN as I thought about it more and can’t fathom starting them against LAC and red hot Herbert and screen game Ekeler after what Taylor did Sunday night.

Rarely hold two defenses, but my opponent only has Washington, and it’s a close matchup in a must win situation for me.

He also has Washington sitting in his bench spot all day which makes me think he’s going after the only waiver defense DEN.

So now I’m holding Miami and CIN, and may use my higher waiver claim to grab Denver over one of those others saturday ultimately blockading my opponent from a stronger defensive choice as the rest available are not good choices.

Then I’ll decide who to start Sunday betweeen MIA/CIN and Denver.

Am I completely overthinking this? Absolutely.

Not at all.

I actually have been holding MIA and DEN, but picked up CINCI in waivers this morning. I'm just not comfortable with Miami in London against Jax and I'm not sold on DEN even against what you'd think is a damaged LV team. I looked at last year's box scores for DEN/LV and LV lit them up 30+ both games.

Think I'm going Cinci BUT also angling for Indy in waivers tonight and will be dropping Denver.

Feel like I"m on a defensive merry go round.

In most of my leagues, I've survived so far with some combination of NE, MIA, IND, etc.  However, in one, I only have NE rostered, and my other options are not necessarily appealing....

JAC vs MIA (London)

DET vs CIN

WAS vs KC

SEA @ PIT

LVR @ DEN

I'm actually liking Jacksonville in London, but by a narrow margin.  The London games are usually surprising, in the sense that one team comes out on fire.  Last week, it was ATL.  Of the two this week, I honestly see the Jaguars being the more likely of the two to shock the world.  And, I'm not so sure Trevor Lawrence is any more likely to make a bad mistake (pick six, etc.) than Brissett is.  

My other thought is to simply pick the team I think might get the most sacks, since none of the above are necessarily dominating defenses, and I'm in a position where I'll gladly take whatever points I can get.  Am I crazy for thinking that the Raiders might come out highly motivated, and Crosby and company wreaks total havoc on Teddy B and the Broncos?  

Do any of those five stand out as being the clear choice to anybody?

Meanwhile, after this week Cleveland gets a nice run of Den/Pitt/@Cinci/@NE/Det. It gets a little tougher after that, but seems to be worth grabbing them for the next month. They haven't really lived up to expectations this year, but they haven't been terrible either.

Tempted by CLE myself. Just dropped due to the AZ matchup so they'll just sit there this week.

Not sure what to make of this D. Outside of sacking an unprepared J. Fields 9 times, is this D really all that? 

I like what the offense does here to help the D in that it wants to run the ball, control the clock, slow the pace, etc. 

Users who are viewing this thread