What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Team Defense & Defense by Committee Thread (2 Viewers)

Jack Hammer
The Cleveland Browns have allowed opponents to reach the red zone an NFL low 6 times.
Next best is the San Francisco 49ers with 9.

Archimedes
Bye week for the browns is going to skew some stats .

Jack Hammer
It does, but they are still at 1.5 per game and the 49ers are at 1.8

You shouldn’t play the Lions DT/DST this weekend (or next)

But if you like to place small wagers as a recreational hobby, Jared Goff is the #1 QB ATS.
  • for this year
  • Oh, and the last two years
  • Huh…also 2021-23
  • Dang 2020-23 also true
  • 2019-2023? True
  • 2018-2023? You are never gonna believe this but again true - ranks 1st amongst QBs ATS

They have an easy stretch coming up in the next 5. Other than at the Lions on MNF Week 8 it’s all bad offenses/QBs, 3 of the 4 easier games are at home.

Bad team IMO (lousy HC) but I could see the defense being serviceable as a streamer between now and mid-November.
Your one pause for concern should be that I, VikingFrog, picked them up to start this week and have chosen 3 negative point streamers in a row.

I did have N.O defense but dropped them trying to stream a couple weeks back, and missing getting them back. Now I have Browns as part of a trade, and once the 9ers game I'll be holding for the rest of the season as plug and play

But if you like to place small wagers as a recreational hobby, Jared Goff is the #1 QB ATS.
  • for this year
  • Huh…also 2021-23
  • Dang 2020-23 also true
  • 2019-2023? True
  • 2018-2023? You are never gonna believe this but again true - ranks 1st amongst QBs ATS
Wait are you joking about the Lions D?

• for this year
  • Huh…also 2021-23
  • Dang 2020-23 also true
  • 2019-2023? True
Wait are you joking about the Lions D?

Well I have a choice of BAL or a yucky matchup at CLE

Lions as a FF DT is OK but Baker is playing well & Evans is still dangerous

Lions are without 3 of their 5 best DBs and the offense sometimes struggles on the road. It’s def a dangerous game for them. World of difference between going to BAL at 5-1 v 4-2.

They have an easy stretch coming up in the next 5. Other than at the Lions on MNF Week 8 it’s all bad offenses/QBs, 3 of the 4 easier games are at home.

Bad team IMO (lousy HC) but I could see the defense being serviceable as a streamer between now and mid-November.
Your one pause for concern should be that I, VikingFrog, picked them up to start this week and have chosen 3 negative point streamers in a row.
Not bad Vegas!

I didn’t win and no matter what defense I chose would have changed that… but I’m just proud they scored in the positive.

What does everyone make of Cleveland? They're clearly an incredibly talented real-life D, but so far they are averaging 7.5 PPG, good for DST17. A lot of that has to do with TOs; they've only forced four of them (2 INTS, 2 fumbles). In terms of sacks, they're averaging 3.0, also middle of the pack. And zero TDs.

So will their talent eventually show out in fantasy production, or are there reasons to think this will continue?

They're available in just about every league I'm in, and I had been thinking I would pick them up after the bye/SF matchup, but I'm not sure they're better than my alternatives (across various leagues, I have Balt, Detroit, Buffalo and KC)

Cowboys scouting report: Breaking down the Chargers defensive scheme

NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero reports Joey Bosa (toe) is expected to play in the Chargers’ Week 6 matchup against the Cowboys.
Bosa entered the weekend with a questionable tag but will be good to go in the prime time matchup. The Chargers EDGE rusher has battle through a number of injuries this season but was sidelined for the team’s Week 4 contest against the Raiders. With the team’s Week 5 bye, Bosa was given a little extra time to recover, hopefully putting him in good position to get after Dak Prescott on Monday night.

Folks stop listening to this dumbass
What do you think of Detroit ROS? It feels like they're good but not great, but the team is winning enough that you could do worse than starting them every week (though likely not holding them through the bye the way you might with, say, Dallas or SF)

Well immediately after the bye is LAC coming back from a MNF to MetLife. Then Chicago and GB at home for Thanksgiving, at New Orleans (MCDC’s old team for 5 years), at Bears, Broncos, at Vikings, at Cowboys (Championship week.)

That’s a lot of plus matchups don’t you think?

What do you think of Detroit ROS? It feels like they're good but not great, but the team is winning enough that you could do worse than starting them every week (though likely not holding them through the bye the way you might with, say, Dallas or SF)

Well immediately after the bye is LAC coming back from a MNF to MetLife. Then Chicago and GB at home for Thanksgiving, at New Orleans (MCDC’s old team for 5 years), at Bears, Broncos, at Vikings, at Cowboys (Championship week.)

Yeah. It's surprising that a bunch of DSTs seemed clumped together in that tier this year where you are probably better off riding them than playing the streaming guessing game

Yeah. It's surprising that a bunch of DSTs seemed clumped together in that tier this year where you are probably better off riding them than playing the streaming guessing game

My 1QB league has 18 roster spots (8 bench) and our scoring format makes it possible to accumulate 225-250 points if you hit on a couple DSTs. Half our league carries one set it n forget D until they hit a bye. 100% carry 1 kicker & who cares it’s impossible. But I always hold 2 DSTs and about 1/3rd of the time I have 3. I constantly look at Points Against stats so I always have the next few weeks covered. And when data changes - specific QBs or teams get their act together & stop being turnover machines - I move on to better matchups.

Works for me but it does require some analysis & not everyone wants to do the work.

Who we liking for week 7?

Detroit Vs Baltimore… Detroit has been rolling but this one worries me.

Seattle Vs Arizona… I like this matchup and Seattle seems to have an okay floor and a high ceiling if given the chance.

Rams Vs Pitt… Pitt stinks but the rams don’t seem to have a any big games defensively

Cleveland @ Indy… Cleveland seems to be a great NFL defense and have a very safe floor… but don’t seem to produce the magical fantasy stats everyone here is seeking. But I will likely try to get them as that should even out.

Tampa @ Atlanta… thought Tampa defense was pretty good but Detroit pushed right through them. Ridder has been giving away interceptions like Halloween Candy lately.

Last edited:
Cleveland @ Indy… Cleveland seems to be a great NFL defense and have a very safe floor… but don’t seem to produce the magical fantasy stats every here is seeking. But I will likely try to get them as that should even out.

Agree on all points. This is the play of the week for me.

Holding BAL but tempted to grab DET. Regardless Browns are ferocious af.

Detroit Vs Baltimore… Detroit has been rolling but this one worries me.

Curious if you have watched much film of the 2023 Ravens offense?
As an owner of L. Jackson I can say with confidence that a) he'll fumble, b) he'll throw a pick, and c) that stupid offense will get bogged down in the redzone where Harbaugh gets too conservative.

Cleveland @ Indy… Cleveland seems to be a great NFL defense and have a very safe floor… but don’t seem to produce the magical fantasy stats every here is seeking. But I will likely try to get them as that should even out.

Absolutely kicking myself for not picking up the CLE D yesterday. Took a flyer on D. Mooney. Dumb.

Seattle is quietly on an upswing on D since week 1.

Colts D sucked *** last week but have a nice upcoming lineup of teams. Avoid any matchup against an opponent good D tho, especially on the road. Their homeless hippie at QB will melt them on those days.

I don't typically hold two defenses, but CLE is playing well enough that they almost warrant it. Or, you just ride them and take the good with the bad. Their Week 15-17 schedule looks pretty juicy was well....

CHI
@HOU
NYJ

Decided to drop KC for Cleveland. Over the next few weeks, Chiefs have two tough matchups (LAC/Miami) and a bye, though they also get Denver again. I just feel like as good as Cleveland's D is, the fantasy points will come eventually

I’m holding BAL and tempted to drop them for CLE. Hate carrying two DST’s.

Hate carrying two DST’s.

I love it. Every year it is a competitive advantage over my league mates.
Same. I generally carry two. Via draft, waivers or even trade. I try to match two with good schedules. This year I'm rostering Eagles and Saints. They line up nicely and most importantly come playoff time it's nice. Yes I look this far ahead.

I feel like just given the general state of the OL, I think Washington against NYG is a solid bet. Other than that random Chicago game where they just decided to let DJ Moore stay 1-1 with their rookie CB, Washington has been fine in their good matchups.

Dallas on a bye. Added Tampa vs ATL. I paused on Washington @ NYG, but both of those teams are to unpredictable on BOTH sides of the ball for my liking.

Feels like a the Bucs will an angry team at home after what the Lions did to them last week.

Currently holding KC (mainly bc of previous matchups and next week vs. DEN), but both: SEA & TB are available (IND too if Watson is still out).

I could use some “defensive guru advice” on who y’all would be rolling out this week.

Just added Cleveland for this week and holding onto Baltimore.
Was lucky to grab them. Everyone went else went with the matchups (Wash, LV).

I watched that SF game. This D is legit. I've got to think some turnovers and TDs are coming. Unless they reverse course this week against Minshew, this could be a season long hold.

Look at the fantasy playoff matchups.

Tons of good defenses available this week. I like in order:

CLE vs IND
TB vs ATL
SEA vs ARI
WAS vs NYG
LV vs CHI
NYG vs WAS
GB vs DEN

Users who are viewing this thread