What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

80s Genre/Categories Mixtape Draft - Draft Underway (3 Viewers)

zamboni said:
Just to confirm: the song OR band has to be one word, and one word only?
I think if we are doing mulligans on hard letters, we will stick to songs, not bands. bands were suggested for opening up the harder letters.

Eephus said:
Northern Voice said:
One word only makes it difficult but I like it
My concern is one word titles only will hurt the mixes. People will have to draft songs purely to satisfy the letter of the rules, rather than picking songs that are great or fit the mix.
hmmm....

Hey guys,

Life kicked me in the balls the last few weeks. Never finished up my last three picks. Did anyone finish up for me?

KarmaPolice said:
- you can draft songs out of order, but mixes should flow in alphabetical order (forward or reverse alphabet)
The final mix has to be in a,b,c (or z,y,x) order?

Eephus said:
Northern Voice said:
My concern is one word titles only will hurt the mixes. People will have to draft songs purely to satisfy the letter of the rules, rather than picking songs that are great or fit the mix.
It limits it but there are so many songs that are just one word, I think, especially leaving 4 letters out completely there's still tons to choose from to make a good mix

Eephus said:
Northern Voice said:
It limits it but there are so many songs that are just one word, I think, especially leaving 4 letters out completely there's still tons to choose from to make a good mix
OK, I'm convinced but there will be much whining (and not just from me) before this is through.

Eephus said:
Northern Voice said:
OK, I'm convinced but there will be much whining (and not just from me) before this is through.
And I promise not to be one of them.

IN.

I had something similar planned for an albums draft for years.

Each letter with 2 mulligans/merges, leaving 24 in total.

Mine was for artists only though

eg

A = Alphaville - Afternoons in Utopia

B = Berlin - Pleasure Victim

C = China Crisis - Flaunt the Imperfection

D = Depeche Mode - A Broken Frame

Q/K = Queen - The Works

X/Z = ZZ Top - Eliminator

etc

My problem with theses mixtapes draft is that people aren't listening to the mixtapes.

I think we've had maybe 1 or 2 people who've gone through half the mixes and nobody has got through them all.

The point of the mixtapes was for other people to listen to them, otherwise it is a song draft of which I have no problem with.

I have about 4 of 5 drafts I can run, although 1 isn't really a draft. Some would be mixtape, others more of the Desert Island variety.

I'd listen to twice as many mixes if they were half the length.
I agree and think 74/80 minutes should the max.

Nobody wants to listen to 20 100 minute mixes.

That is literally 33 hours of listening.

I admire your dedication in listening to as many as you did, but either we split an alphabet draft in 2 or do 2 separate mixes for the one draft eg A-L & M-Z

A 50 minute mix gets us 12 songs? Will people still listen to 20 of these? Thats still 16 hours of listening.

A 12 song draft will be very short

I will listen to more mixes from this draft if people want to upload (and I will likely be uploading rather than spotifying for this next draft).

I will listen to more mixes from this draft if people want to upload (and I will likely be uploading rather than spotifying for this next draft).
Thank goodness. I stopped listening to the 80s mixes because I could never listen to them in the order the drafter wanted them in.

Eephus said:
Northern Voice said:
And I promise not to be one of them.IN.

I had something similar planned for an albums draft for years.

Each letter with 2 mulligans/merges, leaving 24 in total.

Mine was for artists only though

eg

A = Alphaville - Afternoons in Utopia

B = Berlin - Pleasure Victim

C = China Crisis - Flaunt the Imperfection

D = Depeche Mode - A Broken Frame

Q/K = Queen - The Works

X/Z = ZZ Top - Eliminator

etc

My problem with theses mixtapes draft is that people aren't listening to the mixtapes.

I think we've had maybe 1 or 2 people who've gone through half the mixes and nobody has got through them all.

The point of the mixtapes was for other people to listen to them, otherwise it is a song draft of which I have no problem with.

I have about 4 of 5 drafts I can run, although 1 isn't really a draft. Some would be mixtape, others more of the Desert Island variety.
I listened to all the 80s ones, even zillas and ccs extra mixes.

where can we upload to? I thought all those sites we were using got cracked down on.eta: the only problem I ever had with the uploads was they never seemed to stay together when I upped them to iTunes. didn't seem to be able to change file names before loading to change the album title to "x's mix" or something like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank goodness. I stopped listening to the 80s mixes because I could never listen to them in the order the drafter wanted them in.
wtf? the free spotify has ads and you can't listen in order? what is the point of #2?

wtf? the fres spotify has ads and you can't listen in order? what is the point of #2?
it's worked fine for me :confused:

I've listened to all the mixes and I'm still in an 80s mode here. Sorry I don't comment more. I haven't posted here much lately. I've created a couple more 80s playlists. One I'm working out to and one mostly love songs.

My daughter and her best friend have been learning/playing/rearranging Shake the Disease for a couple weeks. It's pretty awesome coming from the voices of sweet teenage girls. There may be a garage band in my garage this summer.

I'm considering the next draft but I hate being that guy that keeps screwing up and I'm pretty sure that won't change. So I'll probably just follow it and post a list after.

wtf? the fres spotify has ads and you can't listen in order? what is the point of #2?
you can only listen to them in shuffle mode on mobile devices which is where i do 90% of my audio listening. Unless you pay the monthly fee which I am not going to do.

where can we upload to? I thought all those sites we were using got cracked down on.eta: the only problem I ever had with the uploads was they never seemed to stay together when I upped them to iTunes. didn't seem to be able to change file names before loading to change the album title to "x's mix" or something like that.
mediafire still works fine.

you can only listen to them in shuffle mode on mobile devices which is where i do 90% of my audio listening. Unless you pay the monthly fee which I am not going to do.
Rather than tapping the shuffle/play green button try tapping the top song on the list. I do and they play in order.

Rather than tapping the shuffle/play green button try tapping the top song on the list. I do and they play in order.
Doing it as we speak and nothing happens. Nothing plays when I tap anything except for the big green button for shuffle play

Doing it as we speak and nothing happens. Nothing plays when I tap anything except for the big green button for shuffle play
Ok. I have premium so I guess I get the option. Why not pay $10 a month? The sound quality upgrade alone makes it worth it to me. No commercials is nice. I pickup a pay as I go card at the grocery store every three months. Don't even notice the expense. The value is pretty huge to me.

Ok. I have premium so I guess I get the option. Why not pay $10 a month? The sound quality upgrade alone makes it worth it to me. No commercials is nice. I pickup a pay as I go card at the grocery store every three months. Don't even notice the expense. The value is pretty huge to me.
as someone that has a 64gb phone with 30+ gigs of music already on it why would I need to pay another $120 a year for a service? It just doesn't make sense for me.

Eephus said:
Northern Voice said:
To get in front of some whining, Couple more questions about the one word draft idea

1. What about songs with parenthetical words in the titles i.e. Rebellion (Lies)

2. What about numbers? There are songs listed as 13 and as Thirteen by different bands, are either/both eligible

Eephus said:
Northern Voice said:
To get in front of some whining, Couple more questions about the one word draft idea

1. What about songs with parenthetical words in the titles i.e. Rebellion (Lies)

2. What about numbers? There are songs listed as 13 and as Thirteen by different bands, are either/both eligible
Could you have a category of Numbers? :2cents:

Also what about multiple songs by the same band? Just after a quick look and paying attention, some seem to have more single word titles.

At the risk of having too many ####in' rules, how about these adjustments? Some of the letters might be hard, and agree with eephus that I would still toe the line more of people being able to draft what they like and put together a good mix. Still want to keep the alphabetical order/one word songs theme, but how about:

1. songs with () are OK as long as it is a one word title. ie Chins (Yo Mama Has Ten) is OK, but Yo Mamma (Has Ten Chins) is not.

2. Numbers are OK, if they are one word numbers - 12 or 20 are OK, 673 is not. They will be put in the alphabet how they are spelled, not at beginning.

3. Mixes will still stay in alpha order (forward or reverse), HOWEVER, you can start with any letter you like. If your mix would kick off well with an R song, you can do that and end with Q (or S if you are reversing it)

Users who are viewing this thread