What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Summerpalooza IV - Combined Music/Fantasy Draft - Braxton Un-Breaks My Heart (1 Viewer)

Added

Ryan Nall - RB - Bears/Beavers

Esperanza Spalding - Mela

I had an open spot and I saw Nall's name. Fortunately for me he hails from that traditional Jazz hotbed of Oregon.

Spalding is a multi-talented bassist/vocalist/composer born in Portland. This track is off her breakout second album from 2008.  Her style has moved a bit more toward Pop since then although I guess it's still nominally Jazz.  This song shows what a propulsive bass player she can be in a more straightforward Jazz setup.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally back to earth, I bet I go on a 5 game skid now

ETA - not over yet - 1% chance that Devin Singletary has 6 fumbles and nothing else.  Thanks, calculus.

Added

JaMycal Hasty - RB - Niners

Donny McCaslin - Descarga

The Santa Clara native McCaslin is best known for playing saxophone on Bowie's Blackstar album but his main career is in Jazz. This 2007 track rides on a fascinating bass and percussion groove with McCaslin on tenor trading solos with Dave Binney on alto.

Added

Jamal Agnew - WR - Jaguars

Khan Jamal - Dark Warrior

The vibraphonist Khan hits the perfecta of the first name of the player, the last name of the owner and being born in Jacksonville.

This song from 1982 was recorded in Copenhagen for a Danish label. Jamal lived there for many years. He's in his 70s now but I couldn't figure out whether he's still there or moved back to the US.

I re-added Younghoe Koo too but I already picked a song for him.

Man, do I ever need to make up for my additions/subtractions. I'm just trying to keep a team that's essentially lost its first few picks reasonably and hopefully competitive so that it doesn't throw off league balance. My team is just lousy. 

I drafted McCaffrey, Montgomery, Sanders, and then Aiyuk in about that order. That's an ouch. That did not turn out like I planned. 

But nice to see everybody else competing! Heh. 

Man, do I ever need to make up for my additions/subtractions. I'm just trying to keep a team that's essentially lost its first few picks reasonably and hopefully competitive so that it doesn't throw off league balance. My team is just lousy. 

I drafted McCaffrey, Montgomery, Sanders, and then Aiyuk in about that order. That's an ouch. That did not turn out like I planned. 

But nice to see everybody else competing! Heh. 

Who are the top teams atm?

Off the schneid. 1-6 and looking squarely at you, Pip. Ease up on me, huh?

I have no idea when I'll get to picks. I suppose the best I can do is be faithful from here on out. The frequent additions plus the suspension left me behind the eight ball. I'll proceed thusly. 

Added Indianapolis DST

J.J. Johnson - In Walked Horace

Picked up the Colts defense at home vs the Jets as a week 9 bye fill-in.

Unfortunately the Colts don't have anyone on the roster named Horace but both J.J. Johnson on trombone and a young Freddie Hubbard on trumpet were born in Indy.

I got sucked into too many $ leagues this year and I’ve neglected this league. My team is good though and I’m hoping I can push this to the title. 

Added

Cooper Rush QB Dallas

Jimmy Rushing with the Dave Brubeck Quartet - Am I Blue?

Needed an emergency fill-in for Dak Prescott in case he's out.

Jimmy Rushing (1901-1972) was best known as a vocalist for the Count Basie Orchestra.  This giant of the Blue's nickname was Mr. Five by Five because he was five feet tall and five feet wide.

On this 1960 recording he's paired with Dave Brubeck's quartet

Added D'onte Foreman - RB - TEN

The Modern Jazz Quartet - Bag's Groove

I'll be the AP contrarian and pick up the other guy

Foreman is a Titan and a Longhorn. At this point in the season, I've looked through Nashville and Austin before. While both are major music centers, neither has contributed much in the way of Jazz. So...

Foremen --> Four men ---> Quartet ----> The Modern Jazz Quartet

The MJQ was a great group that stayed together for decades. They sometimes get dismissed as dinner Jazz but there's a timeless elegance to their music.

Two more in-game injuries, one at the beginning of the game and one in the first half. This just stinks. 

Blech on this year. 
At least you're not the worst team in the league- that would be my team. I may have a few more points(for now) but you have actual players on your roster. Im starting guys like David Johnson and Kyle Juszczyk FCS

Going up against Jonathan Taylor has me  :kicksrock:

Currently looking through '77 punk stuff for guys I've added. Can't really find any. Will just pick any old songs, I guess, but what's the fun in that? 

Going up against Jonathan Taylor has me  :kicksrock:

Currently looking through '77 punk stuff for guys I've added. Can't really find any. Will just pick any old songs, I guess, but what's the fun in that? 

Sorry dude.  If it makes you feel better the guy I'm going against in my main dynasty league has him, so it was a catch 22 for me last night.

Users who are viewing this thread