What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

A potential stud RB to Consider for this Year (1 Viewer)

smackdaddies

Footballguy
Many have found it valuable to look at the last half of the previous season to evaluate and identify players that, while their total year stats may be poor, managed to show and produce in the second half numbers that indicate they should be good players this season.

Let me introduce you to....DuJuan Harris

Yes, I know Packers RB's have been fools gold since Ryan Grant blew out his knee. Yes, I know that half way through last season he was selling used cars and not playing. But consider this.

Over the final six games, he rushed 62 times for 257 yards (4.15 average) and four touchdowns and added nine catches for 81 yards. If the Packers defense had not blown chunks against SF, it's quite possible he would of gotten a lot more carries and two touchdowns.

Second, McCartney has been saying things like..."He's going to play for us next season," McCarthy said during an NFC coaches media breakfast at the NFL owners meetings. "That's his responsibility if he wants to be the starter."

Third - who else do they have? Benson? Starks? Green? Grant? All of them either has beens, injury prone or trying to come back from season, if not career, ending injuries. There is the draft coming up, but for a (currently) guy you can pick up in the 15th round of your fantasy draft, he has a lot of upside.

And yes, I did crib a lot of this from here.

Using your criteria, Moreno is the guy you want to target, not Harris. I mention that to lead to the point about looking at 2nd halves or spot duty in players. You really have to be careful and consider the advantages players ahve when they come into a season that is alrady half played out. Coming in fresh after everyone else is beat up can make you see things you don't. Is this something he can sustain? I don't know (I didn't really follow him that closely, so this is just a question being asked/point to consider).

I will say, however, that perhaps a guy like DeMarco Murray is a good one to look at. He looked like a second coming in a perfect storm but hasn't been able to show he can sustain. Just a thought or two to add to the discussion.

They were looking to sign Steven Jackson. It didn't work out but it gives you a hint as to how the Packers feel about the guys they have.

I fully expect them to use a first or second round pick on a rb and stage an "open competition" for the starting job... Which the rookie will promptly win.

In support of the OP these views are part of the reason why Harris is still affordable. I wouldn't want to count on him being a major performer for my team but I think his asking price is reasonable at this time.

i would be shocked if Harris had any consistency at all scoring fantasy points.

Much like I view Lemichael James, he may have a good game here and there, but is a guy I would never rely on.

They were looking to sign Steven Jackson. It didn't work out but it gives you a hint as to how the Packers feel about the guys they have. I fully expect them to use a first or second round pick on a rb and stage an "open competition" for the starting job... Which the rookie will promptly win.
it's not especially damning of Harris to look at Jackson - an established, proven and productive commodity - in the FA period. the packers would be foolish *not* to - at the very least - look at him. he's steven f'ing jackson. harris is harris. he got a little burn and now has an opportunity. i wouldn't expect him to be their #1 RB next year - rookie or FA brought in, it doesn't matter - but he could easily be a part of the RBBC there.

They were looking to sign Steven Jackson. It didn't work out but it gives you a hint as to how the Packers feel about the guys they have. I fully expect them to use a first or second round pick on a rb and stage an "open competition" for the starting job... Which the rookie will promptly win.
it's not especially damning of Harris to look at Jackson - an established, proven and productive commodity - in the FA period. the packers would be foolish *not* to - at the very least - look at him. he's steven f'ing jackson. harris is harris. he got a little burn and now has an opportunity. i wouldn't expect him to be their #1 RB next year - rookie or FA brought in, it doesn't matter - but he could easily be a part of the RBBC there.
:goodposting: Couldn't GB have ponied up more cash to secure SJax's services if they thought he was the true difference maker they needed? Do they have their eyes on someone in the draft and feel they are comparable to SJax at his advanced age/mileage? Are they that much higher on Harris than the rest of us? The most likely option is Harris being part of a RBBC with a rookie or an aging/ beat up vet (Bradshaw/McGahee if he's released) /2 down (Blount) type guy.

I like Dwyer's chances in Pittsburgh better than Harris. Both will probably be replaced but the Steeler kept Dwyer over Harris and Dwyer is almost a year younger.

They were looking to sign Steven Jackson. It didn't work out but it gives you a hint as to how the Packers feel about the guys they have.

I fully expect them to use a first or second round pick on a rb and stage an "open competition" for the starting job... Which the rookie will promptly win.
This sounds like Peyton Mannning being "looked at" by the Niners last year. That went from "You have to look at him and do your due dilligence because he's Peyton Manning" to "Well, we never really looked at him....Alex Smith is still our priority and our guy."That ended up with Alex smith benched, traded, and Kaepernick with the job.

basically, I think when you have a guy and you really think "that's my guy", you don't waste a lot of time and energy courting free agents and entertaining trade talk. The NFL is too busy to waste time. So, most of the time, if an NFL team is taking time to shop, they are willing to buy if they find a bargain they can live with. This may be a case where no decision was made because the team couldn't find one they liked and that doesn't mean they won't find something they like later in FA or the draft or a trade.

i think the problem with this thread is classifying harris a "potential stud". he's being given an opportunity in a prolific offense. if i were the GM, i might look at a FA or rookie. anyone they bring in would be an upgrade over the #2-5 RBs on the roster, never mind that possibly of Harris.

'Shutout said:
'saintfool said:
'zilladog said:

This sounds like Peyton Mannning being "looked at" by the Niners last year. That went from "You have to look at him and do your due dilligence because he's Peyton Manning" to "Well, we never really looked at him....Alex Smith is still our priority and our guy."That ended up with Alex smith benched, traded, and Kaepernick with the job.

basically, I think when you have a guy and you really think "that's my guy", you don't waste a lot of time and energy courting free agents and entertaining trade talk. The NFL is too busy to waste time. So, most of the time, if an NFL team is taking time to shop, they are willing to buy if they find a bargain they can live with. This may be a case where no decision was made because the team couldn't find one they liked and that doesn't mean they won't find something they like later in FA or the draft or a trade.
Well said.

McCarthy's comments about the RBs at the Owners Meeting:

@TomSilverstein Changes will play to the strengths we have. Wish we had DuJuan earlier. Couldn't just put him in there, lost of stress on backs.

@TomSilverstein Felt great with DuJuan in the backfield. He's going to play for us next year.

@TomSilverstein We've expanded our running game. Have to watch ourself that we don't do too much. Have concepts but variations have to adapt to team.

@TomSilverstein Part need to improve is when you just line up and run, not when Rodgers has options to call run or pass.

@TomSilverstein Would like to get into a 1-2 punch with the backs. It really helps if you can keep doing it with same guys. Starks, Green weren't 100%

@jasonjwilde "When I look at DuJuan Harris and Jeremy Ross, I wish we had them in training camp."

Last edited by a moderator:
A guy who is going to split carries on a team that is not committed to the run....no thanks. I'd take a late round flier on him and that's about it. He did run hard and looked solid in the playoffs though.

Bradshaw needs to pass a physical (not a given) and he's a Steeler. If the Packers don't draft a RB in the first 2 rounds (only done it once in the last 20 years and that was Brandon Jackson), we can start calling him Teflon DuJuan.

He will be given a chance to take the starting RB role. Love to know his real height/weight. I've seen 5-7 to 5-9 (NFL.COM) and anywhere from 208 to 214. If he is 5-8 214, there is no reason he can't shoulder the whole load. It's tough to get a clean shot on a guy that size.

I don;t think Harris will be any bell cow back...but will be part of the committee approach they use.But what time did they really "waste" by kicking the tires at Jackson?

Not a whole lot.

The Pack has been toiling w/o a legit running game for years now, and it's cost them dearly come playoff time. Could this be the year the Packers finally draft a stud RB?... Eddie Lacy anyone?

Can't see him being a stud (Ridley's about where I draw the line on using that term), but he's probably one of the better gambles towards the end of the draft. The Pack will have enough possesions to inflate the value of everyone in their RBBC. If he keeps his job and takes a little more goalline work from Kuhn, he should at least be a nice bye week guy.

Users who are viewing this thread