What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Add/Drop and Waiver Wire wonderment thread: Do you still own Domingo Santana? (10 Viewers)

Definitely do not hold your waiver priority. I routinely use mine too early. It allows me to be a lot less gun shy about trying to claim players later as I don't need to hold out on priority. I continue to get players others don't claim because they don't want to use their priority and will wait and see if they clear waivers.

If he makes your team better, claim him.

Just when you think it might be safe to stream Ubaldo, he allows five walks and gives up a grand slam and is out in the 3rd. He seems like a good spot start candidate but even if all the conditions were perfect (not saying that was the case at all today), it would still be hard to trust him. His stuff is still pretty tough, but when he's off he's really ####### off.

Just when you think it might be safe to stream Ubaldo, he allows five walks and gives up a grand slam and is out in the 3rd. He seems like a good spot start candidate but even if all the conditions were perfect (not saying that was the case at all today), it would still be hard to trust him. His stuff is still pretty tough, but when he's off he's really ####### off.
I absolutely HATE Ubaldo. So frustrating. No way was I touching him vs. Oakland today.

we've all tried to get cute with him before. You're not alone. Just don't repeat the mistake. That's the lesson.

we've all tried to get cute with him before. You're not alone. Just don't repeat the mistake. That's the lesson.
Yeah I didn't stream him today but I'm keeping my eye on him.

GordonGekko said:
I guess this means the Twins don't have a ton of faith in Pinto , Kubel or any of the others they could be rolling out at DH righting the ship (though you'd think they'd want to give Pinto some AB's to adjust).

Nobody else is hitting now, so this seems like one of the best spots Morales could've ended up in. Plus, it's not like Willingham and Arcia will ever have a long stretch of both being healthy at the same time.
Don't know what Gardenhire is doing honestly. Suzuki isn't a long term answer, and while Pinto has been have a rough go of it lately, he's hit 7 homers and has 21 RBI, which isn't bad for a catcher given he's not a full time catcher. I feel they should ride Pinto and Arcia for what they are worth, then when they bring up Buxton and Sano heals for next year, they can see if that's a good core or not.

Veteran bats are great, you need timely veteran pick ups even on a rebuilding squad, but I don't see the point in getting in the way of guys you should be evaluating.

This is how SF almost screwed up Matt Williams. Early in his career, whenever he had a hiccup, they didn't let him ride it out. They just shipped him to the minors. Screwed his head up until someone figured out that you have to just let young guys play through it sometimes.

Well at least it's not Dusty Baker running that team ( what kind of idiot fills his clubhouse with player's kids during a World Series?) I'm surprised Billy Swift hasn't snuck into Bakers house and garrotted him with piano wire by now. He'd probably have to wait in line behind some Cubs first though.
It is a bit puzzling.

Though they should be able to get Pinto 3-4 starts a week just splitting some time with both Suzuki and Morales (and Morales getting the occassional day at 1st).

I probably wouldn't have signed Kendrys, but I can see the rationale.

Someone must be pressuring the front office about winning now. Morales offers a better short term chance than Pinto.

GordonGekko said:
I guess this means the Twins don't have a ton of faith in Pinto , Kubel or any of the others they could be rolling out at DH righting the ship (though you'd think they'd want to give Pinto some AB's to adjust).

Nobody else is hitting now, so this seems like one of the best spots Morales could've ended up in. Plus, it's not like Willingham and Arcia will ever have a long stretch of both being healthy at the same time.
Don't know what Gardenhire is doing honestly. Suzuki isn't a long term answer, and while Pinto has been have a rough go of it lately, he's hit 7 homers and has 21 RBI, which isn't bad for a catcher given he's not a full time catcher. I feel they should ride Pinto and Arcia for what they are worth, then when they bring up Buxton and Sano heals for next year, they can see if that's a good core or not.

Veteran bats are great, you need timely veteran pick ups even on a rebuilding squad, but I don't see the point in getting in the way of guys you should be evaluating.

This is how SF almost screwed up Matt Williams. Early in his career, whenever he had a hiccup, they didn't let him ride it out. They just shipped him to the minors. Screwed his head up until someone figured out that you have to just let young guys play through it sometimes.

Well at least it's not Dusty Baker running that team ( what kind of idiot fills his clubhouse with player's kids during a World Series?) I'm surprised Billy Swift hasn't snuck into Bakers house and garrotted him with piano wire by now. He'd probably have to wait in line behind some Cubs first though.
Roger Craig was managing the Giants when Williams came up. Dusty was only one year removed from being a player. Williams was an injury fill in for Chris Brown and Jose Uribe as a 21 year old rookie in 1987. Williams had never appeared in a game above A ball at the time. Nobody expected him to stay up; he was really green and needed some time in AAA. He went down after Uribe came off the DL and just before Brown was shipped out for Kevin Mitchell.

Williams opened 1988 in the PCL and came up again as a short term injury replacement for Uribe in June. He really wasn't a SS. In August, Craig decided to move Mitchell to LF and they brought Williams up to play every day 3B until the end of the season.

He started the year at 3B the following year but was terrible. He was hitting .130 went he was optioned for the final time. He spent 2 1/2 months in Phoenix and figured something out there because he was decent when he was called back up.

Craig and Al Rosen liked veterans but it's hard to criticize their handling of Williams. If anything, he was rushed up. The only time they yanked him out of an established role was after he went 0 for April 1989. The Giants won the West in 1987, the NL pennant in 89 and were in contention until mid-August in the year between.

Brock Holt is leading off for the Red Sox and killing it, right?
He is right now, but he doesn't hit for power, doesn't walk a lot, and is a decent but not huge steals guy. His fantasy value is pretty much tied to him maintaining that .339 average which seems really unlikely.

Junior Lake looks like the second coming of Eric Davis some nights, and then like a homeless guy who the Cubs found before the game other nights. Still holding him in a deep keeper, I just can't figure out if this guy is ever going to be anything of note.

Junior Lake looks like the second coming of Eric Davis some nights, and then like a homeless guy who the Cubs found before the game other nights. Still holding him in a deep keeper, I just can't figure out if this guy is ever going to be anything of note.
that k:bb will limit his upside until he gets a better eye. Maybe next year.Just picked up Rutledge, too bad I missed the homes stand.

that k:bb will limit his upside until he gets a better eye. Maybe next year.Just picked up Rutledge, too bad I missed the homes stand.
maybe he's figured it out.

GordonGekko said:
Adam Lind tweaked his foot, will wait and see what happens. If he's out, maybe Juan Francisco will get a little more burn
Francisco blows. 36% K-rate on the season and hitting something like .160 in past 18 games. He's turned back into the big fat pumpkin everybody knows he is.

I need a starter, Marco Estrada has run his course on my team.

Charlie Morton, Jarred Cosart, Matt Garza, and Tommy Milone, Danny Duffy is probably my short list. My team is near the top in every pitching cat except Ks where I project in the middle. I could pass for now and wait until later to stream, none of these dudes really stands out. Thoughts?

Charlie Morton, Jarred Cosart, Matt Garza, and Tommy Milone, Danny Duffy is probably my short list. My team is near the top in every pitching cat except Ks where I project in the middle. I could pass for now and wait until later to stream, none of these dudes really stands out. Thoughts?
I think all those guys are pretty much the same. I wouldn't have any interest in owning any long-term, but I wouldn't be scared to throw them out there in a good match up either. They are all more less high 6ish K/9 guys that either give up too many walks or FB's to really feel comfortable with.

Kyle Gibson available? I'm still on his train. 0 ER in 3 of last 4 outings. Ks are down, though. Seems to be implementing the Minnesota Way.

Milone's got Darvish and the Red Sox during the day the next two turns out - a lot easier to hit it out in Oakland during the day. I'd pass for now.

We've hit lefties pretty well and have decent history vs. Duffy. Plus he matches up w/Anibal, so he'll probably have to be on to net a W.

Tough to get excited about Garza given his last two outings, but he draws a mediocre rookie pitcher on a terrible team.

Morton's been better lately, but a hot summer day in Wrigley? Ugh. It's easier to control w/a GB pitcher like Morton, but when pop flys turn into HR's? Hate that dance.

Cosart has been pretty good lately too and he draws Tampa too...but he pitches with the hand Tampa usually does better against and worse he gets David Price. This looks a lot like Duffy to me.

---

If it were me I'd roll the dice on either Garza or Morton. Both carry some risk, but have favorable matchups. Cosart and Duffy have been better than both, but I don't like their immediate outlook. When I'm looking at these types I tend to play it more week to week instead of forward looking because I don't expect them to be on my team for long.

Kyle Gibson available? I'm still on his train. 0 ER in 3 of last 4 outings. Ks are down, though. Seems to be implementing the Minnesota Way.
Fenway isn't the best place for a BB and HR prone arm. Road games in LA and Texas follow too. His stuff keeps him on my watch list, but I probably won't look to add him barring anything dominant until the Yanks head to their place before the AS break.

I assumed we were thinking about ROS.
Just me personally, but when it comes to the last few spots on my bench unless there's a guy like Morales or Singleton out there and I can sit on a dead roster spot for an unknown period of time I don't think more than a few days ahead. Every now and then a short term fix becomes a long term cog, but more often than not it's just a constant rotation.

What the hell is going on with:

Joe Mauer

Freddie Freeman

Josh Donaldson

They're all slumping..and all on my team.
Donaldson? Players slump sometimes. Fly ball heavy hitters, especially. Seems like he is taking more of a swinging for the fences approach too. FB's up, swgstr up, k's up. Also see, Jay Bruce.

Careful saying anything negative around here about Mauer. Seriously though, some positive regression is on its way, but he isn't matching what most expected. Most of his underlying numbers are consistent, unlucky with the BABIP though, but his ISO has bottomed out. I'd expect a 300 hitter from here out, but he is not going to hit double digit HR's or SB's. He should be an asset in R, but now that he's primarily hitting 2nd RBI will be few and far between, especially given his dip in XBH's.

I'm happy to have Freeman on a H2H team that is definitely my best one. I can wait out whatever is his issue. Hoping it's just a slump mixed with some bad luck since his underlying numbers indicate he should be better than last year, definitely not worse.

Posted this in the Trade thread but got no responses......... Does anyone think this might be a decent strategy/Hail Mary/Desperation play?

6 x 6 League,

OF - R, HR, RBI, SB, OBP, AVG

P - K, QS, SV, WHIP, ERA, K/BB.... WHIP is the tie breaker

My team sucks and is 2-8. I'm thinking of trading away McCutcheon and Blackmon for a couple top Starters and a Reliever, and basically give up on the OF Stats, while trying to win the Pitching and maybe 1-2 OF stats each week.

Bad idea? I mean what do I have to lose?

Not a fan. Both of those guys help in all 6 cats.

No pitcher is going to do that
Yea, you're 100% correct. But being 2-8, well now 3-8, and 4 games back, I feel like I need to do something beofre my season is lost, which it pretty much is already.

I don't know...... Maybe once I get Cliff Lee back and if Latos keeps pitching well, I might have a fighting chance

Not a fan. Both of those guys help in all 6 cats.

No pitcher is going to do that
Yea, you're 100% correct. But being 2-8, well now 3-8, and 4 games back, I feel like I need to do something beofre my season is lost, which it pretty much is already.

I don't know...... Maybe once I get Cliff Lee back and if Latos keeps pitching well, I might have a fighting chance
I'd hold firm especially since you just got Latos back.

Picked him up for his cake Phillies matchup last time out, and never could decide who to drop him for. I wasn't real excited to roll him out there against a frisky Marlins team on the road.

If it's not too late, jump on Baltimore's Kevin Gausman now.

Last 3 starts (vs. Oak, Tor, and TB):

3-0, 19 IP, 2 ER, 19 WHIP, 14 Ks.

He is throwing 98 mph - not going back down. They'll DL Tillman with his balky groin before they take this kid out of the rotation again.

Kyle Gibson is worth a look. He's put together a nice string of game and had a great game today. Unfortunately I dropped him (and Gausman) and he's been picked up already.

Not many k's although today was nice.

If it's not too late, jump on Baltimore's Kevin Gausman now.

Last 3 starts (vs. Oak, Tor, and TB):

3-0, 19 IP, 2 ER, 19 WHIP, 14 Ks.

He is throwing 98 mph - not going back down. They'll DL Tillman with his balky groin before they take this kid out of the rotation again.
The split/change he's throwing is filthy. That and his fastball is enough to get outs. He'll be really nasty when his breaking ball and cutter develop. The fastball not moving enough would be the main drawback.

Hypothetically speaking, say you're in 2nd place and you are running away with all power categories but in dire need of K, ERA, and WHIP. Where would you draw the line at a SP that you would trade McCutchen for?

Hypothetically speaking, say you're in 2nd place and you are running away with all power categories but in dire need of K, ERA, and WHIP. Where would you draw the line at a SP that you would trade McCutchen for?
Id say Kershaw, Felix, Tanaka, Cueto and Sale would all be pretty good swaps. Maybe someone like Greinke, Yu, Bumgarner or Strasburg if you're willing to take more of a risk? I was in a similar situation about a month ago and traded Tulo for Felix. Its worked out well for both sides so far.

Id say Kershaw, Felix, Tanaka, Cueto and Sale would all be pretty good swaps. Maybe someone like Greinke, Yu, Bumgarner or Strasburg if you're willing to take more of a risk? I was in a similar situation about a month ago and traded Tulo for Felix. Its worked out well for both sides so far.
Scherzer could probably go in that first group I would think.

Scherzer could probably go in that first group I would think.
I dunno, Id say not with that ERA and WHIP. Maybe in the 2nd group?

Value goes out the window, but I'd be trying to trade a power-only bat before McCutch if possible.

Users who are viewing this thread