What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

All Time Soccer/Football Draft and Tourney (1 Viewer)

BREAKING NEWS: FC Festivus has replaced current coach Harry Keough with Europa 2016 winner Fernando Santos, pending FIFA (FBGs Into Futbolizing America) approval.  Per Festivus majority owner Charlie Steiner, "The counter-attacking style Santos used so effectively in Europa 16 seems a great fit for our roster, and having a living winner as the coach is probably better than having a dead one.  Plus, we're really hoping bringing in a big name like this will prove we should be taken more seriously.  I know we don't have the star power as the rest of the league, but we're plucky."

When contacted for a response, Keough's representatives in the physical world stated that it was "news to us" that he had been fired, as he was never hired, and it was in fact William "Bill" Jeffery who also is still dead. Jeffery obviously could not be reached for comment.

Last edited by a moderator:
What happened with this?  It was perhaps my favorite thread ever in the history of evers...

eta: did the GAMEDAY threads all die, without a resolution?

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's what happened.  I'm trying to at least accomplish some things at work and I have THE NEEDIEST TODDLER IN NORTH AMERICA when I'm home.  I can probably start up two games a week or so, but much more is a tough ask.  Of course, anyone could dungeon master a game.  All the charts and the dice roll protocols have been posted.

Here's what happened.  I'm trying to at least accomplish some things at work and I have THE NEEDIEST TODDLER IN NORTH AMERICA when I'm home.  I can probably start up two games a week or so, but much more is a tough ask.  Of course, anyone could dungeon master a game.  All the charts and the dice roll protocols have been posted.
But it's also your sparkling commentary that keeps us riveted.

Pick

Team

Player

Position

Nationality

AcerFC

Johan Cruyff

F

Netherlands

AcerFC

Andres Iniesta

MF

Spain

AcerFC

Clarence Seedorf

CM

Netherlands

AcerFC

Edgar Davids

M

Netherlands

AcerFC

Oliver Kahn

GK

Germany

AcerFC

David Villa

F

Spain

AcerFC

Jaap Stam

CB

Netherlands

AcerFC

Ashley Cole

LB

England

AcerFC

Rio Ferdinand

CB

England

AcerFC

Ruud Van Nistelroy(SOD)

ST

Netherlands

AcerFC

Gazza

M

England

AcerFC

Robert Pires

LW

France

AcerFC

Denis Irwin

LB

England

AcerFC

Robin Van Persie

F

Netherlands

AcerFC

Carlos Valderrama

CM

Colombia

AcerFC

Jorginho

D

Brazil

AcerFC

Estadio Municipal de Braga (the Quarry)

Stadium

Braga, Portugal

AcerFC

Tim Howard

GK

USA

AcerFC

Deuce

MF/F

USA

Khan                                                           Backup Keeper- Tim Howard

Rio

Irwin                                         Cole                                    Defesnive Subs: Jorgihno.  

Staam 

Seedorf            Iniesta             Davids                                  Midfield Subs: Gazza, Pires, Valdarama

Villa                 Cryuff                                            Forward Subs: RVP, Duece

Van Nistelroy
There is no way anyone would have beaten this team. I am even toying with a 4-1-4-1 formation that would allow Davids more room

This needs to be carried out to the end IMO

@Ramsay Hunt Experience

There is no way anyone would have beaten this team. I am even toying with a 4-1-4-1 formation that would allow Davids more room

This needs to be carried out to the end IMO

@Ramsay Hunt Experience
How about a friendly against my team of leftovers, Club Festivus:

GK-Rene Higuita (Colombia)               

Martin Skrtel (Slovakia)                                                   

Bacary Sagna (Senegal/France)                                                                                         Kolo Toure (Ivory Coast)

Joey Barton (England)                              Mesut Ozil  (Germany)                                    Cesc Fabregas (Spain)                         Juan Mata (Spain)

Charlie Davies (USA)                                                                                            Dirk Kuyt (Netherlands)

Mario Baloteli (Italy)
Reserves:
GK-Tim Krul, (Netherlands)
LB-Marek Cech (Slovakia)
HM-Kyle Beckerman (USA)
MF-Graham Zusi (USA)
F-Nikolas Anelka (France)
F-Gervinho (Ivory Coast)
S-Diego Forlan (Uruguay)

This was officially the most work I’ve ever put into a fantasy team, and they never played a game.  

How about a friendly against my team of leftovers, Club Festivus:

GK-Rene Higuita (Colombia)               

Martin Skrtel (Slovakia)                                                   

Bacary Sagna (Senegal/France)                                                                                         Kolo Toure (Ivory Coast)

Joey Barton (England)                              Mesut Ozil  (Germany)                                    Cesc Fabregas (Spain)                         Juan Mata (Spain)

Charlie Davies (USA)                                                                                            Dirk Kuyt (Netherlands)

Mario Baloteli (Italy)
Reserves:
GK-Tim Krul, (Netherlands)
LB-Marek Cech (Slovakia)
HM-Kyle Beckerman (USA)
MF-Graham Zusi (USA)
F-Nikolas Anelka (France)
F-Gervinho (Ivory Coast)
S-Diego Forlan (Uruguay)
Charlie Davies was so ####### good.  What a shame. 

Also, this lineup would be a tactical disaster. 

Charlie Davies was so ####### good.  What a shame. 

Also, this lineup would be a tactical disaster. 
I put this lineup together before knowing much about tactics; I still don't know much but I figured Barton and Mata would go box-to-box for us.  I get that Ozil is a bit of a liability on defense, but having 3 CBs to pinch up the middle may work to compensate for that. Besides, I have Skrtel in the back to clean house if need be. 

I put this lineup together before knowing much about tactics; I still don't know much but I figured Barton and Mata would go box-to-box for us.  I get that Ozil is a bit of a liability on defense, but having 3 CBs to pinch up the middle may work to compensate for that. Besides, I have Skrtel in the back to clean house if need be. 
I'm not trying to give you ####, just a Davies comment.  Still, a good holding midfielder is just so damn crucial.  Especially in a more open formation like that.

I'm not trying to give you ####, just a Davies comment.  Still, a good holding midfielder is just so damn crucial.  Especially in a more open formation like that.
It's all good; I have zero historical knowledge, but it was fun trying to fill the roster. FWIW, Skrtel, Ozil, Zusi, Beckerman and Davies are personal favorites, so it was basically building around them. 

For a country with so little depth, having players like Davies, Holden and Gooch all basically have the careers destroyed via injury/accident was awful for the program.
For sure.

But the stuff Davies could do upfront was unique.  Maybe it was just a spurt during that Confederations Cup.  It felt special, something the USA hasn't had. 

In a related note, I really miss the zonalmarking.net site
I just finished Jonathan Wilson's book Inverting the Pyramid: The History of Soccer Tactics, which as its subtitle suggests, covers the history of the game from its origins up to Jupp Heynckes' teams at Bayern.

i've read the histories of the sport before but this one focused much more on formations and managers than players.  Wilson structured the book geographically as well as chronologically which highlighted the how expatriate coaches were frequently the innovators.  The chapter on Soviet managers Boris Arkadyev was fascinating.  The book had lots of formation diagrams and Wilson is a good explainer, but at times, it was still hard to visualize the way the game was played.

Soccer as a global industry hasn't done a great job in documenting the sport.  It's a shame there's not better footage preserved to show how play was built up.

I just finished Jonathan Wilson's book Inverting the Pyramid: The History of Soccer Tactics, which as its subtitle suggests, covers the history of the game from its origins up to Jupp Heynckes' teams at Bayern.

i've read the histories of the sport before but this one focused much more on formations and managers than players.  Wilson structured the book geographically as well as chronologically which highlighted the how expatriate coaches were frequently the innovators.  The chapter on Soviet managers Boris Arkadyev was fascinating.  The book had lots of formation diagrams and Wilson is a good explainer, but at times, it was still hard to visualize the way the game was played.

Soccer as a global industry hasn't done a great job in documenting the sport.  It's a shame there's not better footage preserved to show how play was built up.
The bold feels like a beacon for @Ramsay Hunt Experience, but I haven't read that book yet myself.

Agree with a lot of your post.  That is why I love the world cup so much, it is such a fascinating display of different ideas.  Tactical discussion is just not something you see a lot of.

For sure.

But the stuff Davies could do upfront was unique.  Maybe it was just a spurt during that Confederations Cup.  It felt special, something the USA hasn't had. 
he was not technically gifted in any special way but what he presented was a decent player who could actually run with Landon who was always surrounded by plodders most of his career.  They could have a nice partnership up front for a long time.

Eephus said:

Im reading this now. Im enjoying it, but man is it tough to get through. 

The mixer is up next. 

Slapdash said:
Forlan is kinda dreamy on the bench too.
I only saw the end of Forlan's career, but when I read about him, I saw that he did well when he was on the international stage even though his time in the Premier League was seen as underwhelming.  Plus, the way the team is put together, Balotelli beats him out on kitsch/shtick value alone.

Slapdash said:
For sure.

a great part of Davies was how he and Jozy partnered. Jozy's never had the same rapport with another US player- their partnership really brought the best of both them.

NewlyRetired said:
For a country with so little depth, having players like Davies, Holden and Gooch all basically have their careers destroyed via injury/accident was awful for the program.
cough, cough... obi... cough, cough

Users who are viewing this thread