What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alshon Jefferey (3 Viewers)

fwiw

My link

Alshon Jeffery timed in 4.4-4.5 range at Pro Day

Posted by Evan Silva on March 28, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT

AP

South Carolina wide receiver Alshon Jeffery caught some criticism when he opted out of all testing at last month’s Scouting Combine. Jeffery didn’t even go through on-field drills. He only weighed in.

Jeffery participated in the Gamecocks’ Pro Day on Wednesday, however, and may have helped his draft stock. Scouts on hand timed his forty-yard dash in the high-4.4 to low-4.5 range, according to Kevin Weidl of ESPN Scouts Inc. SI.com’s Tony Pauline had Jeffery at 4.55 on his first run. Jeffery also weighed in at 213, down three pounds from his Combine weigh-in.

He’s clearly prioritized losing weight during the offseason.

Per the Gamecocks’ sports website, Jeffery registered a 10-foot, 2-inch broad jump and 36.5-inch vertical leap. They’re both solid if unspectacular measurements for a 6-foot-3, 213-pound receiver.

The impressive workout may force NFL evaluators to go back and watch Jeffery’s game tape. What they’ll find, according to NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock, is that Jeffery does not create separation from defensive backs downfield and isn’t worth a first-round pick.

Nice he realized how important this process is. I am sure he'll be able to keep the weight off in the NFL.

Few million dollars, no guidance from anyone.....yes, I am sure he will.

fwiw

My link

AP

South Carolina wide receiver Alshon Jeffery caught some criticism when he opted out of all testing at last month’s Scouting Combine. Jeffery didn’t even go through on-field drills. He only weighed in.

Jeffery participated in the Gamecocks’ Pro Day on Wednesday, however, and may have helped his draft stock. Scouts on hand timed his forty-yard dash in the high-4.4 to low-4.5 range, according to Kevin Weidl of ESPN Scouts Inc. SI.com’s Tony Pauline had Jeffery at 4.55 on his first run. Jeffery also weighed in at 213, down three pounds from his Combine weigh-in.

Per the Gamecocks’ sports website, Jeffery registered a 10-foot, 2-inch broad jump and 36.5-inch vertical leap. They’re both solid if unspectacular measurements for a 6-foot-3, 213-pound receiver.

The impressive workout may force NFL evaluators to go back and watch Jeffery’s game tape. What they’ll find, according to NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock, is that Jeffery does not create separation from defensive backs downfield and isn’t worth a first-round pick.
the last paragraph is pretty contradictory when looking at mayock's top 5 WR's - he's got stephen hill at #4 and jeffery at #5 (as of 03/20 here). with today's performance jeffery runs around a 4.4 - a 1/10 of a second off of hill and his other measurements, while not as great as hills, are still in the same ballpark. hill wasn't on his board at all before the combine... probably because the tape on hill is actually lacking and is quite bad overall - hill doesn't look like he knows what he's doing on the field and he looks a hell of a lot slower than a 4.3 guy. yet we criticize jeffery's tape where in 2010 he looked like the next don mega. in 2011, he certainly regressed a bit, but imo had a lot more to do with poor QB play and the loss of the running game than jeffery's efforts. he's being double teamed on every passing down and the QB rarely put the ball where it needed to be. plus he was playing at 230+ in 2011... if he keeps his work ethic and determination up why can't he get back to 2010 form?i just don't get it... where's the consistency in scouting here? i think it all comes back to the fat picture making people think jeffery is lazy and slow, while everything i've seen from him lately shows the exact opposite.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe this will have a signifcant impact on fantasy drafts.

This is just enough info to switch up the drafting order some.

I like it.

'werdnoynek said:
'massraider said:
'werdnoynek said:
'massraider said:
Nice he realized how important this process is. I am sure he'll be able to keep the weight off in the NFL. Few million dollars, no guidance from anyone.....yes, I am sure he will.
:rolleyes:
You really want to get upset? I haven't even seen him play.
what's upsetting is that i actually think you're a good poster... well i used to.
I avoid WRs that look like they aren't hard workers.

'werdnoynek said:
'massraider said:
'werdnoynek said:
'massraider said:
Nice he realized how important this process is. I am sure he'll be able to keep the weight off in the NFL. Few million dollars, no guidance from anyone.....yes, I am sure he will.
what's upsetting is that i actually think you're a good poster... well i used to.
I avoid WRs that look like they aren't hard workers.
:lmao: i avoid people who look like they aren't nice. i guess we have our presumptuous nature in common.

'werdnoynek said:
'massraider said:
'werdnoynek said:
'massraider said:
Relax man. You seem to think a lot of Jefferey and he has flashed some skill. But dude got fat. Straight up fat. He says he played at 230, but I suspect that number is low. It is completely reasonable for fans and NFL teams to be concerned about a WR with significant weigh control issues. It is not being mean and does not make someone a bad poster. Fat and WR do not mix well. It is a real and legitimate concern.

'werdnoynek said:
'massraider said:
'werdnoynek said:
'massraider said:
Relax man. You seem to think a lot of Jefferey and he has flashed some skill. But dude got fat. Straight up fat. He says he played at 230, but I suspect that number is low. It is completely reasonable for fans and NFL teams to be concerned about a WR with significant weigh control issues. It is not being mean and does not make someone a bad poster. Fat and WR do not mix well. It is a real and legitimate concern.
seems to me his weight is under control. we dont know what his actual weight was in college... i think it was blown way out of proportion because of a single picture. we could circle jerk some more about his "weight issues" if you want, but i'm over it. if you want to pass on him because he looked fat in college go ahead. what i'm trying to say is i could really care less what his figure is - he's a baller and has been a baller... he's shown it many times over.

'flapgreen said:
I've heard nothing good about this guy.
He has very good hands. There are some questions marks after that, but he does have good hands.
If Jeffery can get open I'm not worried about him being able to catch the ball. It's just that I don't think he'll get open enough to do that often.

another measurement that wasn't mentioned above:

jeffery ran a 6.71 3cone today... would have been 3rd best at combine.

'werdnoynek said:
'massraider said:
'werdnoynek said:
'massraider said:
seems to me his weight is under control. we dont know what his actual weight was in college... i think it was blown way out of proportion because of a single picture. we could circle jerk some more about his "weight issues" if you want, but i'm over it. if you want to pass on him because he looked fat in college go ahead. what i'm trying to say is i could really care less what he looks like - he's a baller and has been a baller.
I think it's easy to have your weight under control during the pre-draft process. I think other WRs have looked good for Spurrier. This at least gives me pause. I think draft dweebs have raised concerns about his game, and his discipline before. Not just message board AHoles (like me) that get worked up over one photo. One of my dynasties tenets is to avoid as many WRs with red flags. Alshon has a few. I think you have really sold out on this kid. Anytime he gets mentioned, you come running to defend his honor, and get kind of upset about it. Time to let it go, and plan on victory thread bumping in the future.

'werdnoynek said:
'massraider said:
'werdnoynek said:
'massraider said:
seems to me his weight is under control. we dont know what his actual weight was in college... i think it was blown way out of proportion because of a single picture. we could circle jerk some more about his "weight issues" if you want, but i'm over it. if you want to pass on him because he looked fat in college go ahead. what i'm trying to say is i could really care less what he looks like - he's a baller and has been a baller.
I think it's easy to have your weight under control during the pre-draft process. I think other WRs have looked good for Spurrier. This at least gives me pause. I think draft dweebs have raised concerns about his game, and his discipline before. Not just message board AHoles (like me) that get worked up over one photo. One of my dynasties tenets is to avoid as many WRs with red flags. Alshon has a few. I think you have really sold out on this kid. Anytime he gets mentioned, you come running to defend his honor, and get kind of upset about it. Time to let it go, and plan on victory thread bumping in the future.
i get "upset" because all we've been hearing about him for the last 6 months is "he's fat"... which then leads to "he doesn't work hard" and "he's slow". i've said all along it isn't true and he keeps proving me right. nothing i've seen from the kid since he blew up in 2010 has shown me differently. i'll continue to defend him until he proves me wrong... i seem to be the only one doing it. i think it's good to have differing opinions on players in a thread... how much fun would it be if all we did was talk about how fat he is?

When people say he he had trouble with separation... Keep in mind hes been going up against guys like :

Patrick Peterson

Dre Kirkpatrick

Mark Barron

Morris Claiborne

Brandon Boykin

Joe Haden

Kareem Jackson

Javier Arenas

Eric Berry

Major Wright

When people say he he had trouble with separation... Keep in mind hes been going up against guys like :Patrick PetersonDre KirkpatrickMark BarronMorris ClaiborneBrandon BoykinJoe HadenKareem JacksonJavier ArenasEric BerryMajor Wright
Add Alphonso Dennard to the list(Nebraska)I have to be honest, I have taken a liking to this kid, partly bc he is under the radar, and I think he represents good value going 1.10 to 1.12 in rookie drafts.Was he out of shape? Absolutely. The spare tire pic was pretty telling on his supposed discipline, or lack thereof. I pretty much wrote him off, until I watched the Nebraska game(went off on the field in production and went off in a fisticuffs with Dennard, getting kicked out of the game) He wound up earning MVP honors in that bowl game. That game, Dennard was all over him. In hip pocket every route, chucking him downfield, before and after 5 yards. I also watched him in another game(my scouting book is at home, I think it was Clemson) but what I saw is a kid being bracketed constantly, a QB with a penchant for tucking and running, but also a kid that hustles and is a pretty good teammate. Willing to block, willing to be congratulatory to other teammates on scores, not the diva stuff you can sometimes see from a wr with his talent. Let's just say I am intrigued with him thus far, especially where he is slated to go in rookie drafts. Right now, I think he could wind up as the best value in the 1st round.Check out the Nebraska bowl game. He absolutely turns on another gear splitting two defenders and coming down with the deep ball. It was impressive.And I a have no interest in coming between the words between werd and mass, I am just stating what I have initially soured on this kid, and how I am coming around pretty much full circle.

When people say he he had trouble with separation... Keep in mind hes been going up against guys like :Patrick PetersonDre KirkpatrickMark BarronMorris ClaiborneBrandon BoykinJoe HadenKareem JacksonJavier ArenasEric BerryMajor Wright
Add Alphonso Dennard to the list(Nebraska)I have to be honest, I have taken a liking to this kid, partly bc he is under the radar, and I think he represents good value going 1.10 to 1.12 in rookie drafts.Was he out of shape? Absolutely. The spare tire pic was pretty telling on his supposed discipline, or lack thereof. I pretty much wrote him off, until I watched the Nebraska game(went off on the field in production and went off in a fisticuffs with Dennard, getting kicked out of the game) He wound up earning MVP honors in that bowl game. That game, Dennard was all over him. In hip pocket every route, chucking him downfield, before and after 5 yards. I also watched him in another game(my scouting book is at home, I think it was Clemson) but what I saw is a kid being bracketed constantly, a QB with a penchant for tucking and running, but also a kid that hustles and is a pretty good teammate. Willing to block, willing to be congratulatory to other teammates on scores, not the diva stuff you can sometimes see from a wr with his talent. Let's just say I am intrigued with him thus far, especially where he is slated to go in rookie drafts. Right now, I think he could wind up as the best value in the 1st round.Check out the Nebraska bowl game. He absolutely turns on another gear splitting two defenders and coming down with the deep ball. It was impressive.And I a have no interest in coming between the words between werd and mass, I am just stating what I have initially soured on this kid, and how I am coming around pretty much full circle.
This is my stance as well. I had him as my #5 college WR entering the season and even lower during the season...however he is climbing now. Mostly due to everyone's negative attitude towards him. Remember at some point a player is value, whether you like him or not.

'werdnoynek said:
'massraider said:
Roll eyes all you want...heard a draft guy talking about this today.That scouts won't be fooled that he dropped some weight and ran faster...if he ends up putting the weight back on, they know he is slower...and they know he does not do well getting separation off the line.

Because in the NFL he is not going to face top corners ever?

'werdnoynek said:
'massraider said:
Nice he realized how important this process is. I am sure he'll be able to keep the weight off in the NFL.

Roll eyes all you want...heard a draft guy talking about this today.That scouts won't be fooled that he dropped some weight and ran faster...if he ends up putting the weight back on, they know he is slower...and they know he does not do well getting separation off the line.
and what if he doesn't?

Didn't Blackmon also drop about 12 lbs in order to inflate his 40 time? Are we going to beat him up for this as well?

No, but the type of separation that is usual can not be the way you evaluate WRs in the SEC... The point was he faced top level NFL corners... in college. He won quite a few battles with these guys also, he abused Dre Kirkpatrick on multiple occasions.

Jeffery among top prospects on display at South Carolina

COLUMBIA, S.C. -- South Carolina receiver Alshon Jeffery hopes he's finally put the criticisms aside and changed his fortunes for next month's NFL draft.

The slimmed down, sure-handed Jeffery had a solid 40-yard dash performance and was among the main attractions for NFL personnel attending the school's pro day on Wednesday.

New York Jets coach Rex Ryan was on hand to watch Jeffery and other standouts, including defensive end Melvin Ingram and cornerback Stephon Gilmore, during the workout at South Carolina's stadium.

The throng of people, many with timers, gathered around as Jeffery stepped up to run the 40, something he didn't do at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis. While Jeffery said he didn't hear his time, reports from scouting services on Twitter pegged the lanky, 6-foot-3 wideout in the 4.5-second range.

"I just tried to let everybody see what I've got," Jeffery said. "I gave it my best shot."

Jeffery's future looked set last summer. He was heading into camp off a record-setting season of 88 catches for 1,517 yards and 12 touchdowns. He was on the cover of Sports Illustrated's college football preview. He was a certain top-five draft pick if he chose to leave, according to several preseason mock drafts.

But Jeffery never found the form or production from 2010. He played at a huskier 233 pounds and was not the offensive focal point as the Gamecocks struggled to pass downfield.

It didn't help when Stephen Garcia, South Carolina's starting quarterback, was kicked off the team midway through last season. Coach Steve Spurrier went to a more ground-oriented attack behind less-experienced sophomore quarterback Connor Shaw. Jeffery was spectacular at times, but ended the year with just over half the catches (49) and yards (762) of a season earlier. Garcia threw to Jeffrey on Wednesday.

Jeffery worked hard since declaring for the draft in January and weighed 213 at pro day. He also put on his trademark show of catching nearly everything thrown in his direction.

Jeffery got a big smile, a handshake and several words of praise from Ryan, whose team has the 16th pick overall in April's draft. The Jets coach "said I looked real good and just keep working hard," said Jeffery, expected to go in the second round.

Ingram was a first-team All-American at defensive end projected as a top-10 pick next month. He's had a feature on ESPN's Sports Science and has been invited to New York City by the NFL for the draft.

"I just try and come out here and work for it. I don't try and focus on making myself money or all that," Ingram said. "I want to work hard and lay it on the line and I think the results will take care of themselves."

Gilmore is an early-entry cornerback who helped himself at last month's combine with a 4.40-second showing in the 40, third-best among corners. He's also projected as a late first-round selection. He did not run Wednesday.

South Carolina wide receiver Jeffery impresses at Gamecocks' pro day

By Jeff Reynolds | NFLDraftScout.com

With 30 teams present at South Carolina's pro day Wednesday, wide receiver Alshon Jeffery might have regained traction as a first-round prospect.

Jeffery weighed 213 pounds and was credited with 40-yard dash times of 4.50 and 4.48 and had a vertical jump of 36 1/2 inches and 10-2 broad jump. For a player whose explosiveness -- and ability to uncover from NFL-caliber press coverage -- and conditioning came under great scrutiny, Jeffery has served himself well by maintaining his weight for the past month since he last weighed in at the Scouting Combine in Indianapolis.

"I feel like I have a lot to prove, and a lot to show to a lot of teams," he said at the Combine, where he weighed in at 216 pounds.

An All-SEC receiver as a freshman, Jeffery said he played last season at 230 pounds.

"I just feel more in shape and better," he said. "Better. Lighter."

In the end, Jeffery said it won't be weight or speed that helps him cash pro paychecks, it'll be his hands.

One player who stood out Wednesday was senior cornerback Marty Markett, a walk-on who earned a scholarship for his final season in Columbia after coming to the school on a track scholarship. Markett (5-10, 166) might have to earn his way to the NFL on special teams but he'll raise plenty of eyebrows with his 40 1/2-inch vertical and 10-10 broad jump Wednesday.

According to South Carolina, shimmery speed numbers this afternoon would be no surprise. In 2008, he posted all-time bests of 10.41 and 21.18 in the 100 and 200-meters at the NCAA East Regional Championships and indoors, logged a season-best 6.79 60 meters.

For all the people concerned about his weight. Are you equally concerned that Stephen Hill will never develop as a WR? I'm more concerned with Hill being raw.
agreed. hill's tape is littered with dropped balls, getting dominated by cb's and body catches. i'm sure some of it has to do with the triple option and lack of coaching at the wr position but what people see in him other than his great combine workout is beyond me. he doesn't look the part when you watch him play the game... maybe he can be coached into an NFL receiver but he's far from it now imo.

For all the people concerned about his weight. Are you equally concerned that Stephen Hill will never develop as a WR? I'm more concerned with Hill being raw.
agreed. hill's tape is littered with dropped balls, getting dominated by cb's and body catches. i'm sure some of it has to do with the triple option and lack of coaching at the wr position but what people see in him other than his great combine workout is beyond me. he doesn't look the part when you watch him play the game... maybe he can be coached into an NFL receiver but he's far from it now imo.
Which tape is it of Hill's that either of you have watched? I've looked for it and haven't found much of anything other than a few random highlights.

Which tape is it of Hill's that either of you have watched? I've looked for it and haven't found much of anything other than a few random highlights.
if you're into torrents you can find alot of 2011 GTech games using google. the pirate bay has quite a few. it's illegal obviously... but a great place to download / watch games.looking for hill highlights you wont find much... because there isn't much - he didn't do much worth highlighting. you'll have to watch full games... and you see very little of him there too.

'werdnoynek said:
'massraider said:

and what if he doesn't?
Then he plays smaller than he has in a while...and maybe that is not a fit either.Why do you assume he will keep it off?

No, but the type of separation that is usual can not be the way you evaluate WRs in the SEC... The point was he faced top level NFL corners... in college. He won quite a few battles with these guys also, he abused Dre Kirkpatrick on multiple occasions.
Sure it can...because if he could not do it in college (and he was not always up against those guys) what makes anyone think he could do it in the NFL?

Love it when people refer to recorded games as "tape". Call them what they are; highlights. It's pretty common on these message boards so I shouldn't let it bother me but let's face it...none of us have access to coach's tape, not even the self proclaimed Twitter "scouts".

if you're into torrents you can find alot of 2011 GTech games using google. the pirate bay has quite a few. it's illegal obviously... but a great place to download / watch games.looking for hill highlights you wont find much... because there isn't much - he didn't do much worth highlighting. you'll have to watch full games... and you see very little of him there too.
I watched several of his games live and he has some huge drops with nobody around him.

I watched several of his games live and he has some huge drops with nobody around him.
I don't see this as all that bad a thing. It's good to know he gets open. From what we saw at the combine in positional drills, he appears to be a pretty natural catcher. Perhaps there is a concentration issue?

Love it when people refer to recorded games as "tape". Call them what they are; highlights. It's pretty common on these message boards so I shouldn't let it bother me but let's face it...none of us have access to coach's tape, not even the self proclaimed Twitter "scouts".
I've coached college football, so I agree with you. My favorite is the endzone view. The problem is not understanding the offensive concept and what depth the WR is running his route. It may look like the QB made a bad throw when it's the WR's fault or vice verse. However, we can see separation, speed, hands, route running, body control. It just depends on how careful you look.

I don't see this as all that bad a thing. It's good to know he gets open.

From what we saw at the combine in positional drills, he appears to be a pretty natural catcher. Perhaps there is a concentration issue?
I personally think many of his big plays are due to offensive scheme. DB's get lulled to sleep due to run run run run run run play action pass.

Sure it can...because if he could not do it in college (and he was not always up against those guys) what makes anyone think he could do it in the NFL?
but he still played well against them, even without the 'separation' everyone is talking about him not getting! he still beat those corners when he had to play against them! thats my point!

I've coached college football, so I agree with you. My favorite is the endzone view. The problem is not understanding the offensive concept and what depth the WR is running his route. It may look like the QB made a bad throw when it's the WR's fault or vice verse. However, we can see separation, speed, hands, route running, body control. It just depends on how careful you look.
What I'm talking about is someone recording a game on TV and calling it "tape". On TV, we only see a fraction of what coaches and NFL scouts are seeing on their tape. Are you referring to your coach's tape when you coached? From what I understand, these are recorded from several angles. I'm a Pats fan, so I know a little sum'n sum'n about tape. :P

I don't see this as all that bad a thing. It's good to know he gets open.

From what we saw at the combine in positional drills, he appears to be a pretty natural catcher. Perhaps there is a concentration issue?
I personally think many of his big plays are due to offensive scheme. DB's get lulled to sleep due to run run run run run run play action pass.
The little bit I have found on him makes me disagree with you here. In the limited I've been able to see on him I've found DBs playing him ultra conservative. It was rather evident to me that opposing teams respected his speed and big play ability. I don't think I saw anyone dare challenge him at the LOS and just about everyone played him with considerable cushions. The only thing that really seemed to stand out to me was just how afraid other teams were of his deep speed. This made me feel kind of stupid for knowing know about his raw athletic ability until after the combine to be honest.

What I'm talking about is someone recording a game on TV and calling it "tape". On TV, we only see a fraction of what coaches and NFL scouts are seeing on their tape. Are you referring to your coach's tape when you coached? From what I understand, these are recorded from several angles. I'm a Pats fan, so I know a little sum'n sum'n about tape. :P
Coaches tape is a wider sideline view(the one you see on TV just farther out) and endzone shot behind the Offense(really easy to see blocking schemes this way).

Coaches tape is a wider sideline view(the one you see on TV just farther out) and endzone shot behind the Offense(really easy to see blocking schemes this way).
Interesting...thanks. :thumbup:

fwiw

My link

AP

the last paragraph is pretty contradictory when looking at mayock's top 5 WR's - he's got stephen hill at #4 and jeffery at #5 (as of 03/20 here). with today's performance jeffery runs around a 4.4 - a 1/10 of a second off of hill and his other measurements, while not as great as hills, are still in the same ballpark. hill wasn't on his board at all before the combine... probably because the tape on hill is actually lacking and is quite bad overall - hill doesn't look like he knows what he's doing on the field and he looks a hell of a lot slower than a 4.3 guy. yet we criticize jeffery's tape where in 2010 he looked like the next don mega. in 2011, he certainly regressed a bit, but imo had a lot more to do with poor QB play and the loss of the running game than jeffery's efforts. he's being double teamed on every passing down and the QB rarely put the ball where it needed to be. plus he was playing at 230+ in 2011... if he keeps his work ethic and determination up why can't he get back to 2010 form?i just don't get it... where's the consistency in scouting here? i think it all comes back to the fat picture making people think jeffery is lazy and slow, while everything i've seen from him lately shows the exact opposite.
I'm not quite as down on Jeffery as some in this thread are, but your logic doesn't make sense to me. You seem to be the one that is overreacting in a weird way to "the fat photo" if you think that is the only reason why people were down on Alshon.There is one fact that you seem to be ignoring or glossing over. Which is simply this: the guy had to lose 20 pounds in 2 months after his college season was over to get to his ideal football weight. Is there any other skill position player who had to drop 20 pounds between his bowl game and the combine? Do you really think that 20 pounds he lost was all muscle and good weight?

Here's what I personally see from watching the guy play a good amount the last 2 years. He was a very good player as a sophomore. He never looked fast but he seemed to do enough to get open and even when he wasn't open, he used his size to make catches even when covered. I thought he was a mid-late 1st rounder based on his sophomore year play. My worry with him even then was that he reminded me a bit of guys like USC's Mike Williams and USC's Dwayne Jarrett. Other big guys who used their size to dominate college competition but never got much separation. I also had some concern that Spurrier WRs always seemed to bust because he designed innovative stuff to get them open and made a lot of guys look more talented than they were.

When I watched him this past year, he looked like he was carrying bad weight and I thought he was a step slower. It had a huge negative impact on his production. In the last 6 games of the regular season, he had an okay game against Citadel (5-81-1 TD). In the other 5 games he had 15 catches, for 106 yards and 2 TDs.

Think about how bad those numbers really are. Not counting the D2 game vs. Citadel, he averaged 3 catches for 21.2 yards per game over the 2nd half of the season. Sure his QBs weren't great, but still....

You seem to be claiming that his 2010 film shows a stud player and it just doesn't in my opinion. It showed a good player that really needed to answer some questions (work ethic, his ability to get separation, speed, etc.) in his junior year to earn a solid 1st round grade. He did the exact opposite of answering those questions and really just added a bunch of negatives on top of the concerns that were already present.

I see a guy who put on a lot of weight (most of it bad weight in my opinion) and played his worst football in his "money year" where motivation shouldn't have been an issue at all. That is a big-time red flag.

It is great that he seems to have really dedicated himself over the past 2 months and that should help his draft stock. But the concerns I just outlined aren't made up or based on some random photo. It's not inconsistent scouting in my opinion in any way, shape or form to say Alshon didn't play like a 1st round WR in 2011.

Users who are viewing this thread