What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

American Horror Story: Season 4 Freak Show (2 Viewers)

I've only watched the first 3 episodes of this season and I'm not sure what the hype is about. Its a little weird but I'm not finding any of the characters or story interesting. :shrug:
I'm with you. I don't get the hype of this show. First season was OK, but not great. This season is OK, I guess. But it's kind of stupid. Funny thing is, women love this show. So I always figured it was a chick show. Was surprised there was even a thread in the FFA for it.
Well, if you thought the first season was just "OK" then yea.. this isn't for you..I really enjoyed Season one from start to finish.. so many :eek: moments.. . Unfortunately it set the bar so high they haven't been able to get even close since.. :kicksrock:
the shock of season 1 would have been diminished if we knew going into that season there would be a new story every year.

Im pissed they killed off twisty. And learning his backstory made it stupider.
Yeah I was totally content with him being a sub story. He came off as legitimately sociopathic and scary. To then make him borderline mentally challenged with an incredibly lame backstory was disappointing. I'm still enjoying the season but not terribly excited about a its current direction.

Well, I suppose we should expect some ham handedness in a show as surreal as this. I just felt like last night was a little clunky. I actually liked all the elements but not sure why they felt like they needed to cram all the emotional stuff into one episode like that. It would have been much more effective spread out a bit.

Nicely done with crazy kid though. I was wondering what we were going to see when they both turned around. And the visual where he shows up in the doorway after mom's phone call was $$.

Well, I suppose we should expect some ham handedness in a show as surreal as this. I just felt like last night was a little clunky. I actually liked all the elements but not sure why they felt like they needed to cram all the emotional stuff into one episode like that. It would have been much more effective spread out a bit.

Nicely done with crazy kid though. I was wondering what we were going to see when they both turned around. And the visual where he shows up in the doorway after mom's phone call was $$.
Yeah good stuff. Alot of us come for the horror but the writers do try to squeeze in character development and emotion into it which is a good thing IMO.

I was totally confused by the twins showing up in the museum display and then not being dead later. I'm sure that something :whoosh: so can someone explain that?

i can't remember another show that chose to kill off a character like they did that clown, and literally kill the entire season of a show. Like most here i couldn't figure out the point last week's show, and this current episode just seems to be dragging. i can't figure out why the show chose to do that, maybe the big payoff will be the spoiled kid turning into a real nasty killer by the end. I don't know what else they could do.

just the strangest thing with this season, formula seems kind of easy to make a good show here. just make short horror stories. i can't stand how these millionaire TV show creators make 18 versions of CSI, but nobody bothers to try and make a similar horror series like here. I guess Hannibal would be, but why the heck can't they create anything else?

I am guessing that as they were making the show, they didn't realize Twisty was the main/best character.

They need a better test audience. I volunteer.

Did I miss something here? When did the twins go off with the dandy? I thought they went off with the collector "to be on tv". :confused:

Did I miss something here? When did the twins go off with the dandy? I thought they went off with the collector "to be on tv". :confused:
Elsa took them to get a "makeover" and just drove them to Dandy's house

Twisty was played out...good time to end him

Dandy is a more compelling villain

season is coming together nicely...expecting a bloodbath in the next few episodes

yep i missed that too. I was so confused i thought i missed an episode
I did too! But I do remember the makeover part.It didn't help that they killed La Petite but didn't do anything to show us that it wasn't real.

Are we supposed to now think that the sequence showing all of the collector's objects, and him poisoning the twins, was also just fantasy?

yep i missed that too. I was so confused i thought i missed an episode
I did too! But I do remember the makeover part.It didn't help that they killed La Petite but didn't do anything to show us that it wasn't real.

Are we supposed to now think that the sequence showing all of the collector's objects, and him poisoning the twins, was also just fantasy?
oh that was definitely fantasy. That i caught right away.

I liked the part when the Dallas Mavericks coach had some guy put tattoos all over his daughter's face.

So I am enjoying this season far more than Coven. However last night the inconsistency of staying authentic to the time period really got under my skin when they did the freak show music number of a freaking Nirvana song from 1991 in Jupiter Florida 40 years prior to that songs creation.

Really?

Come on man. It was ridiculous.

Overall this is building up to be a massive blood bath for the finale. The show is losing some steam though in the horror department as they develop the characters. We need some more horror next week. I like character development, but they need to get back on track with the freaky horror angle...soon.

And stop these awful musical numbers which screw up the time period. It's sloppy.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I am enjoying this season far more than Coven. However last night the inconsistency of staying authentic to the time period really got under my skin when they did the freak show music number of a freaking Nirvana song from 1991 in Jupiter Florida 40 years prior to that songs creation.

Really?

Overall this is building up to be a massive blood bath for the finale. The show is losing some steam though in the horror department as they develop the characters. We need some more horror next week. I like character development, but they need to get back on track with the freaky horror angle...soon.

And stop these awful musical numbers which screw up the time period. It's sloppy.
There might be a reason to their madness when it comes to the music and other "Time Period" oddity's..

:oldunsure: on how they plan to handle the Time difference when it comes to the characters ages..

Really?

Sounds like something Corey would say. Maybe you should be in the Pawn Stars thread?

Really?

Sounds like something Corey would say. Maybe you should be in the Pawn Stars thread?
WTF are you talking about. I am a big fan of the show.....but that musical element screws up the time period to point of ...give me a break.

Your post reeks of Deuche bagger. Thread Nazi??

Really?

WTF are you talking about. I am a big fan of the show.....but that musical element screws up the time period to point of ...give me a break.

Your post reeks of Deuche bagger. Thread Nazi??
Think the producer already said they dont care about the time periods of the songs. They just want to have songs that fit the mood or something to that effect. This was discussed after episode 1 when Elsa sang that Mars song.

It's strange that people can buy into a show this weird and then get thrown off by some songs that don't fit the time period.

Well I was able to sort out in my mind the woman with two heads, but how dare they insult me with a song from 2002 when the show is set in the 50s!

Just like last season, the show started strong and is quickly going off the rails. I miss Twisty.
I'm liking the direction this is going.

We have: Lobster boy reuniting with Strong Man, then Strong Man doing maybe the most vile, evil, awful thing so far this season with La Petite (?). Once he finds out he was involved in this it will be interesting.

We have the showdown with Lobster Boy and Dandy

Looks like Precious is going to try and find her mommy and Dandy's mommy may show her crazy side.

I think tatoo freak #1 and new freak #2 is sorta interesting, hoping her father gets his very soon.

It's strange that people can buy into a show this weird and then get thrown off by some songs that don't fit the time period. Well I was able to sort out in my mind the woman with two heads, but how dare they insult me with a song from 2002 when the show is set in the 50s!
I was fine with the Mars song and I love wierd stuff (obviously I watch this show) but the Nirvana just went too far in a sense that it really just through the whole show in for a loop and the authenticity of the show, The episode went down the drain for me right there. It was a bad song choice for the show. My opinion.

It's about freaks....I fully buy into it. I had a hard time enjoying freaks playing 90's grunge in the 50's. Weird? Absolutely. Good entertainment weird? Positively no. Poor production choice. The Mars song was weird and felt like it fit the theme of the show like a glove. I actually enjoyed how strange that was. Plus it was original.

It's strange that people can buy into a show this weird and then get thrown off by some songs that don't fit the time period.

Well I was able to sort out in my mind the woman with two heads, but how dare they insult me with a song from 2002 when the show is set in the 50s!
I liked the use of the Nirvana song. I'm digging this season a lot.

Just like last season, the show started strong and is quickly going off the rails. I miss Twisty.
I don't think it is going off the rails, and I think Dandy is a more compelling character than Twisty. Twisty was needed at the beginning to help release Dandy's inner evilness.

I liked the use of the Nirvana song. I'm digging this season a lot.
That's cool. Some people are going to like it. I did not. No biggie.

I am loving this season overall. A massive improvement from the forgettable throw away season 3.

I don't think it is going off the rails, and I think Dandy is a more compelling character than Twisty. Twisty was needed at the beginning to help release Dandy's inner evilness.
I like the Dandy stuff and the father/son stuff but the rest is kind of boring, Elsa is boring me. Hopefully there is a good pay-off soon.

I hear the next musical number will be "TURN DOWN FOR WHAT" sung by the pinheads.

Mayne nirvana stole that song from the circus, who knows, but certainly not worth complaining about. This is getting to be like the WD thread.

ghostguy123 said:
I hear the next musical number will be "TURN DOWN FOR WHAT" sung by the pinheads.

Mayne nirvana stole that song from the circus, who knows, but certainly not worth complaining about. This is getting to be like the WD thread.
I think Lobster Boy did a good job singing the Nirvana song. I remember when Peters' character, Tate Langdon, from the first season was a Nirvana fan.

ghostguy123 said:

I think Lobster Boy did a good job singing the Nirvana song. I remember when Peter's character, Tate Langdon, from the first season was a Nirvana fan.
you mean the person that sang it did a good job?

ghostguy123 said:

I think Lobster Boy did a good job singing the Nirvana song. I remember when Peters' character, Tate Langdon, from the first season was a Nirvana fan.
you mean the person that sang it did a good job?
I meant exactly what I said. Lobster Boy, aka Evan Peters, did a good job singing the song. The characters lip-sync on the show to their own recordings. Kathy Bates will be doing a Hole song soon. This is what Murphy said about the songs they have chosen on the show... "We decided we only were going to highlight musical artists who at some point in their career had identified themselves as feeling like freaks or misfits or outcasts, which our people are going through."

Remember when this was supposed to be a horror story? I mean the name is in the title.
Yup. As I said before, it's turning into a version of Glee that Showtime would show late at night. Covering Nirvana? Thank God Cobain is dead and didn't have to hear that.

Remember when this was supposed to be a horror story? I mean the name is in the title.
Yup. As I said before, it's turning into a version of Glee that Showtime would show late at night. Covering Nirvana? Thank God Cobain is dead and didn't have to hear that.
Why wouldn't they do musical numbers? The freaks make a living off giving a show to the people around town. They are supposed to be one of the nation's last freak shows. As for horror, the show has a lot of violence and gore in it, and the kinky sex is creepy.

Oh, so maybe he would've killed himself if he heard it?I didn't find it bad for what it was- you know, a non-musician covering a song.

Why wouldn't they do musical numbers? The freaks make a living off giving a show to the people around town. They are supposed to be one of the nation's last freak shows. As for horror, the show has a lot of violence and gore in it, and the kinky sex is creepy.
I'm not trying to persuade others from watching it. I say it in a lot of TV show threads, if you like it, who cares what others think? I'm just saying it's not my cup of tea. I do, however, watch it every week because my GF loves the show. And each season I think to myself, "Hey, this could be good." And each season it falls off the tracks (for me.)

And I get that these freaks perform for their jobs, but I think it's silly to put it in as part of the show. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread