What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Andre Johnson ejected from Hou-Ten game (1 Viewer)

Too bad the refs didn't let them sort it out like hockey. Next to Hines Ward there's no one I'd rather see taken apart than Finnegan. Johnson was about to wreck him.

I would say a suspension is 100% for AJ at least, I don't know about Finnegan. The NFL can't let these guys throw punches, especially when the players have their helmets off. The Refs are in such a vulnerable position when having to step in and break these things up, the I am sure the NFL will want to make a statement after today. Big fine and at least 1 game for AJ, probably 2.
no chance it will be 2....and if AJ gets 1 game, so will Finnegan

I understand all the speculation about whether AJ will get a suspension, but you guys who say he made the wrong "choice" and deserves it...come on! I highly doubt any guy in here wouldn't have responded the same as AJ in the heat of the moment. I've played sports all my life and I can guarantee I would have responded the same way and I don't even have being a dude or testosterone as an excuse.

Wow, Finnegan really wanted to start something there.
Makes you wonder about his intelligence...who the hell WANTS to start something with that guy?!?! AJ is a monster...that uppercut about took Finnegan's head off.
Smart move really. Get their best guy out of the game. I bet Tennessee takes that trade off every single time. Classic hockey move.
Yeah, it gave Tennessee that critical edge during those last three minutes of that nail-biter of a ballgame.

This has been building for years. Finnegan looked like a total ######## winking at the Houston bench and waving to the crowd upon his exit. And why the hell did it take him so long to get his sorry ### off the field? Andre was gone for at least 5 minutes while Finnegan kept whining and arguing with the referees as if he'd done nothing wrong. The dude has been taking cheap shots at AJ for years and he deserved even more than what Andre gave him...
Yup.

If anyone is getting suspended it's Finnegan. What is it, like his 5 fight? They never suspended him before and this is the first time Johnson has even been subject to a fine by the NFL. I'm glad Johnson smacked him around.

With all that said, I've never seen a fight like that where helmets were pulled off and full bombs were dropped and connected. Pretty entertaining. Lucky Johnson didn't break his hand punching on the top of the head. That's the hardest part of the human body.

I'm wondering if some of y'all are watching the same replay's I am on the internet. It's obvious that after they trade hands to the face and Finnegan's helmet pops off, he grabs AJ's facemask with his left hand and punches him with his right... then rips AJ's helmet off and throws it at which point AJ punches him as they are going down to the ground. AJ then rains one or two on him before they pop up and the teammates/officials seperate them.

Maybe Finnegan wasn't punching him and was going for the facemask, but it is really hard to tell in the replay coverage. Definitely looks like he takes a swing there and wrenches off AJ's helmet after which point AJ clocks him.

Lot of Texans fans with their panties in a bunch in this thread. They both deserve a 1-game suspension.

Lot of Texans fans with their panties in a bunch in this thread. They both deserve a 1-game suspension.
your boy turtled and aj still put on a beatdown. Was awesome to watch. Aj doesn't get suspended but finnegan should...and will.Titans are pathetic.

The Titans and their entire organization are such a bunch of losers. :(
Excellent post. Fisher is the only redeemable figure associated with the titans and he clearly has his eyes set on getting the heck out of that dive after the season ends.

Houston plays on Thursday night this week. Will that change the timing of a suspension, if there is one?

The Titans and their entire organization are such a bunch of losers. :(
Excellent post. Fisher is the only redeemable figure associated with the titans and he clearly has his eyes set on getting the heck out of that dive after the season ends.
Who do you think taught Finnegan how to play football? The Titans have long been known as a dirty team especially on defense, and Fisher is the one pushing all of them.

Cortland, with Rusty Smith behind center we needed you to do that on the first series not after down 20-0 LOL

Finnegan's one of those guys you hate unless he's on your team (except i hate him too when he starts getting 15-yd penalties in tight games)

your boy turtled and aj still put on a beatdown. Was awesome to watch. Aj doesn't get suspended but finnegan should...and will.Titans are pathetic.
:goodposting: Preach it, woman.
:thumbup: About the best we can expect from Titans fans. Nice job this season. Solid work. Can't play for ####, so your ### clowns just flop and get the crap beat out of 'em. Titans pride.

I'm wondering if some of y'all are watching the same replay's I am on the internet. It's obvious that after they trade hands to the face and Finnegan's helmet pops off, he grabs AJ's facemask with his left hand and punches him with his right... then rips AJ's helmet off and throws it at which point AJ punches him as they are going down to the ground. AJ then rains one or two on him before they pop up and the teammates/officials seperate them.

Maybe Finnegan wasn't punching him and was going for the facemask, but it is really hard to tell in the replay coverage. Definitely looks like he takes a swing there and wrenches off AJ's helmet after which point AJ clocks him.
Yeah, it's unfortunate that Finnegan's helmet just popped off. If it weren't for that faulty equipment, who knows, maybe all this would have been avoided. Why does who one roots for affect their perception of reality.

I just can't see any justification that AJ gets = punishment to Finnegan based on what happened today. Now, if the league wants to bring in prior history into the equation, that's another story.

Finnegan's one of those guys you hate unless he's on your team
This. Who we root for (or against) tends to color our opinions on these things. Ravens fans hate Hines Ward and call him dirty, but he'd be the Hero of Baltimore if he wore purple. Same with Ray Lewis - would be loved in Pittsburgh if he played there, but he's a thug because he plays for the Ravens.That being said, Finnegan is a bit of a punk and has been baiting guys for years. More power to him if he can make it work to his advantage, but I can't say I was sorry to see AJ clock him.

It's kind of classic that a defensive player gets a beat down by an offensive player. Now Mr. Finnegan can watch himself as well as millions of others getting his a## kicked. I think the clapping of his hands was his way of saying man am I glad I got out of this in one piece.

Clearly AJ was provoked on this one and I hope what ever the NFL decides it applies to Finnegan too.

I'm just glad AJ was smart enough to remove the helmet before punching him, how many times do you see fights/punches at a guy with his helmet on, how is that smart?

I say fines no need for suspensions.

Interested to see how Goodel handles this. Obviously fines are warranted, but I wonder if he will suspend Johnson for a game.

People bring up Seymour, but watching Johnson's actions makes me feel his punishment should be harsher. Ben Roethlisberger said something to Seymour as he walked past. Seymour responded by slapping him. He didn't continue going after him. Fineable offense? No question, and it should have been significantly more.

Johnson kept going. And this was not normal pushing and shoving. He ripped off Finnegans helmet and then started throwing combinations. That is not a minor scuffle like you sometimes see by lineman. It doesn't matter that Finnegan instigated it (and from the looks of it, he definitely did). Andre Johnson had a choice, and he chose to continue trying to punch FInnegan's lights out when his helmet was off. It was the wrong decision, and I think he should be suspended a game.
Not that it matters but Seymour said that Roethlisberger didn't say anything to him. The thing that made Seymour look bad is he hit a guy in the face that was looking away and about 10 seconds after the play. At least the Johnson & Finnegan situation occurred during the heat of battle.

This. Who we root for (or against) tends to color our opinions on these things. Ravens fans hate Hines Ward and call him dirty, but he'd be the Hero of Baltimore if he wore purple. Same with Ray Lewis - would be loved in Pittsburgh if he played there, but he's a thug because he plays for the Ravens.
:goodposting:

Smart move by Finnegan, as he got wasted all day long by AJ. It would have been embarrassing if AJ played the full 60 minutes.

As a Jags fan I enjoyed watching that beat down on many levels. But mostly it was nice to see Cortland get some of what he's deserved for a long time. That guy is a tool and no, I wouldn't love it if he was a on my team. I don't like cheering for punkish dirty player no matter what uni they have on at the time.

This. Who we root for (or against) tends to color our opinions on these things. Ravens fans hate Hines Ward and call him dirty, but he'd be the Hero of Baltimore if he wore purple. Same with Ray Lewis - would be loved in Pittsburgh if he played there, but he's a thug because he plays for the Ravens.That being said, Finnegan is a bit of a punk and has been baiting guys for years. More power to him if he can make it work to his advantage, but I can't say I was sorry to see AJ clock him.
Finnegan is a moral less thug no matter who he played for. I would not want him on my team in any fashion. For some of us being a football fan is more than just winning at all cost, its being able to have guys I can point to for my kids to look up to and idolize. I don't want my son to see the owner shooting the bird to Buffalo fans, the defensive coordinator flipping off the ref, or some low life cornerback starting fights every week. I'm not going to sit there and explain to him that, "this guys is lowlife scum son, but we are going to cheer for him because winning is more important."

does football work like basketball where a player can appeal the suspension and play until the appeal is decided upon?
yes for drug stuff but what's Andre going to claim here? He didn't swing at Finnegan?This is the "it takes two to tango" thing

The commissioner should hire a P.I. to interview players over the league about Finnegan.

Then suspend them both and give Finnegan the larger fine for his instigation and celebration.

Yeah, it's unfortunate that Finnegan's helmet just popped off. If it weren't for that faulty equipment, who knows, maybe all this would have been avoided. Why does who one roots for affect their perception of reality.

I just can't see any justification that AJ gets = punishment to Finnegan based on what happened today. Now, if the league wants to bring in prior history into the equation, that's another story.
Yes and I'm sure it was some kind of Jedi mind trick that made both of Finnegan's hands go under AJ's facemask and slam into his face. Its rather obvious Finnegan started the fight.

Finnegan is a moral less thug no matter who he played for. I would not want him on my team in any fashion. For some of us being a football fan is more than just winning at all cost, its being able to have guys I can point to for my kids to look up to and idolize. I don't want my son to see the owner shooting the bird to Buffalo fans, the defensive coordinator flipping off the ref, or some low life cornerback starting fights every week. I'm not going to sit there and explain to him that, "this guys is lowlife scum son, but we are going to cheer for him because winning is more important."
Didn't say it was right, but I'd bet a vast majority of fans will tend to overlook iffy play more if the player doing it is on the team they root for. And will go off the deep end if he plays for the team they're rooting against. It's human nature - see just about any game thread on any Sunday, any GB/Minny thread, the Big Ben threads about his legal problems, Pats threads, etc....

Didn't say it was right, but I'd bet a vast majority of fans will tend to overlook iffy play more if the player doing it is on the team they root for. And will go off the deep end if he plays for the team they're rooting against. It's human nature - see just about any game thread on any Sunday, any GB/Minny thread, the Big Ben threads about his legal problems, Pats threads, etc....
I'm not disagreeing that you are right about the majority feeling that way. I only hope that those that do haven't had young children yet so they are thinking from a different perspective.

For what it's worth, Finnegan did throw the first punch - granted Andre had his helmet on, but it was a Finnegan right hand that was thrown before anything else.

Zero percent chance the Commish gets it right, but if he's serious about cleaning this kind of thing up...

One game to Finnegan for instigating, one for fighting, one for failing to leave the field promptly after his red card.

One to AJ for fighting.

Punish the guy who's behind it.

Zero percent chance the Commish gets it right, but if he's serious about cleaning this kind of thing up...One game to Finnegan for instigating, one for fighting, one for failing to leave the field promptly after his red card.One to AJ for fighting.Punish the guy who's behind it.
Isn't red card soccer?I could agree with Finnegan two and Andre one, sounds reasonable

that has to be a suspension for both players.
I think AJ's saving grace is that Finnegan has priors and was warned by the league. He is a well known instigator and AJ is about as classy as it goes. He also lost time in that game so he was suspended for the remiander. I expect a huge fine (about $25K per swing) and a stern notice.For Cortland, I expect a lesser fine but perhaps a suspension and/or some mandated anger management type classes.

Just looking over the post game quotes shows you all you need to know about how this team is coached from guys like Chuck Cecil.

"Cecil said he didn’t see Finnegan throw any punches and was confused about why his cornerback was ejected.

"It’s a shame,” he said. “It’s a situation where we wanted Cortland to challenge Andre today, and I think he did that. To see it end like that is a shame.

“I saw their guy throw two absolute haymakers at Cortland, and Cortland didn’t retaliate, so I’m a bit confused about what he did to cause the ejection.”

I guess in Tennessee its not a retaliation unless you pull out a gun like in the Last Boy Scout.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports...nt/7314816.html

Just looking over the post game quotes shows you all you need to know about how this team is coached from guys like Chuck Cecil.

"Cecil said he didn’t see Finnegan throw any punches and was confused about why his cornerback was ejected.

"It’s a shame,” he said. “It’s a situation where we wanted Cortland to challenge Andre today, and I think he did that. To see it end like that is a shame.

“I saw their guy throw two absolute haymakers at Cortland, and Cortland didn’t retaliate, so I’m a bit confused about what he did to cause the ejection.”

I guess in Tennessee its not a retaliation unless you pull out a gun like in the Last Boy Scout.

Well, Cecil got one thing right. He "challenged" AJ; and got beat down in multiple ways. AJ was eating him up. At least Cecil didn't use any words to suggest Cortland was successful against AJ. Simple case of waking a sleeping giant and then getting frustrated and acting inappropriately. I was a bit surprised AJ stooped to his level.

Well, Cecil got one thing right. He "challenged" AJ; and got beat down in multiple ways. AJ was eating him up. At least Cecil didn't use any words to suggest Cortland was successful against AJ. Simple case of waking a sleeping giant and then getting frustrated and acting inappropriately. I was a bit surprised AJ stooped to his level.
Not surprised one bit. This has been going in for awhile now with that POS Finnegan and has been getting progressively worse each game. In fact, I enjoyed AJ beating him down cause all the texans fans could tell he's been wanting to do that for awhile now. Only thing I hate is that it'll probably cause dre a game.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the first play: (The previous play)

- AJ puts a block on CF

- CF jambs a hand in AJs face

- CF and AJ then start trading stiff arms to the face

- CF's helmet is jarred loose, he then pulls it off and starts walking away

- AJ gives him a nice push for the road

- AJ starts jawing, CF starts jawing back

Then the following play: (The Finnegan gets beat up play)

- CF jambs both hands in AJ's face. Seems to be trying to jar AJ's helmet loose in reciprocation.

- AJ grabs CF's face mask as AJ is backing away, looks to be trying to pull CF to the ground by his face mask and helmet comes off

- CF grabs AJ's helmet and throws a punch, then yanks AJ's helmet off and throws it

- AJ slings CF to the ground and unloads. 1 punch on the way down, 1 in the ear while on his hands and knees, 1 half connecting upper cut on CF's way up.

Obvious CF was the instigator here, but AJ seems to be very intolerant and does loose his cool. Maybe he had had enough? I didn't see any previous exchanges.. Were they at it all game?

Helmet pulls

CF=AJ

Loosing control

AJ>CF

Looking to do damage

AJ>CF

First punch

CF

Past history (not first time offense)

CF

Instigator

CF

Continued aggravation and instigating after the fight

CF

Should be equal punishment in my opinion. CF was certainly the instigator but AJ definitly contributed and displayed less self control. Without AJ retaliation I think CF would have gotten away with his antics yet again.

What should the punishment be? I'm guessing a 1 game suspension each. Goodell has to make a point here, his image of today's NFL doesn't include helmet yanking and helmets off brawling. Not that I mind it, but certainly he's proven to have no taste for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
As neither an AJ owner, fan of Finnegan, fan of Tennesse or fan of the Texans (I am a fan of AJ), my initial reaction was that this altercation was much more than the average nfl push and shove around. We always see a few punches here and there. Most of the time it's at the end of a current play or right after; a few straight jabs to the underside of a face mask but it stays pretty clean.

Case in point, someone posted earlier in this thread a video of, Finnegan, punching Slaton, at the end of a run. It was a weak handed punch and one that I'm sure occurs all over the place. The difference between that video and yesterday's is that it isn't incredibly wide open. AJ and Finn's trading of blows (yes Finnegan threw the first slap, albeit a very weak one) was just the two of them in wide open space all by themselves. Finnegan went down and AJ stood over him throwing punches. Neither of which had a helmet on by this time. It was clear for everyone to see, will get much more headline time, and will incur stiffer fines. The bolded piece above makes ALL THE DIFFERENCE.

Immediate gut reaction is a game for both. I don't see either play getting less or more than the other. If Finnegan gets more, even if he's had prior altercations and warnings, the media and fan base will play it out like AJ is a star and they want him on the field. I don't foresee an appeal.

And truth be told, I didn't realize Philly played Houston until I checked my schedule this morning. Now that I see this, I'm incredibly more biased.

There is a lot of crying and eye roll posts in this thread. Finnegan deserves what he got and most likely will get. AJ deserves what he gets too. You always have the choice, regardless of what happens. I can't say I'm a better man because I likely would have come to blows with Finnegan myself. But it doesn't matter. Fair is in the eye of the man on top.

What should the punishment be? I'm guessing a 1 game suspension each. Goodell has to make a point here, his image of today's NFL doesn't include helmet yanking and helmets off brawling. Not that I mind it, but certainly he's proven to have no taste for it.
Treating them equally simply incents scrub players to try to get stars thrown out of the game. Goodell should consider the history of these two players and punish Finnegan more severely. He won't though.

Users who are viewing this thread