What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Another school shooting (1 Viewer)

I just find it a bit ironic that you have people who want more gun control in the US also want more people (police) carrying guns in their kids schools.

Step back people.

An armed guard at every school is simply an overreaction.

Then what else? Little league games? Spelling Bee's? How about just a guard at every playground too?

At this point the only answer is just awareness for you and your kids and simply hope it doesn't happen to you.

Seeing the preist interviewed earlier was heartbreaking. Said he had to tell one 4yo boy his sister died, and he said, "I don't have anyone to play with anymore." :cry: I never saw this day coming. Never envisioned something like this ever happening.

I heard someone say today that this will do for school security what 9/11 did for the airports
I remember Columbine and all the school assemblies, drills, special guest lectures by police etc. Lots of protocols in place.Why would this be any different? Didn't we already have our '9/11' re:school security?
Do you really not see this as different?
No, how is this different? At least with respect to school security. Sure emotionally the age of and the number of victims is a difference, but that does not seem relevant to the issue of securing the school or why this would trigger a greater commitment to such security.

I don't understand the focus on security in schools. These kids are effectively out in public. If someone wants to do something like this, they can do it in a mall, or a movie theater, or a supermarket, or wherever they want really. I don't see this as a security issue. If that were the solution, you'd need tighter security at schools, churches, Penn Station, Macy's, Disneyland... pretty much everywhere. You can't solve this problem with security. I don't know the answer, other than that I don't think this is it.
As a society, we handle every single potentially flammable issue with kid gloves. We coddle and skirt the issues and use politically correct wordspeak to safely get us around maybe actually addressing a problem (and hurting some feelings along the way). This is one of those very tragic and unfortunate results that spin out of that machine. But both sides will use the pulpit to spin their spin, until the sting wears off...and we all get to be fat, dumb and happy again.I live 40 miles from the school. The entire state is in shock. But the saddest thing for me is that I know, the media trucks will pull out of town and it's 99.9% likely that nothing changes as a result of this.

I just find it a bit ironic that you have people who want more gun control in the US also want more people (police) carrying guns in their kids schools.Step back people.An armed guard at every school is simply an overreaction....
Actually, I believe that in my county, Baltimore County Maryland there is already a police officer assigned to every school, every day. That presence had little to no impact on the school shooting on the first day of school around here that was ultimately thwarted by a heroic teacher.

Don't know about the rest of you, but once my kids go to sleep......I'm gonna get drunk
I've been straight edge for 35 years. You don't know how tempting this sounds right now. I am not sure what is wrong with me but I can't really stop tearing up about this. I can't help but think of every one of those poor kids who died scared and without their parents there. I'm sure it hits closer to home since I have a kindergartener.
It means you're a caring human being, and there's nothing wrong with that. I for one am glad you and some of the other good souls in here have posted today. My son is sleeping on the coach next to me and I can't help but keep glancing over at him every few minutes.

a post on the Facebook from a girl I went to HS with, regarding her Elf on the Shelf:

Selfless act of a 9 year old. The stocking has snacks in it so he wouldnt get hungry. The note Jingle is holding says... "Its not that I don't want you and Im not giving you away, but Im asking you not to come back to my house until Monday. Kids were killed today and the moms and dads need you more than I do. Go to the houses and pray for them and if you can go to heaven tell the kids it will be ok."

Don't know about the rest of you, but once my kids go to sleep......I'm gonna get drunk
I've been straight edge for 35 years. You don't know how tempting this sounds right now. I am not sure what is wrong with me but I can't really stop tearing up about this. I can't help but think of every one of those poor kids who died scared and without their parents there. I'm sure it hits closer to home since I have a kindergartener.
Thought I was doing okay this evening, but after reading the above post, it absolutely hit home with me. I have a 5th grader and kindergartner.

I don't understand the focus on security in schools. These kids are effectively out in public. If someone wants to do something like this, they can do it in a mall, or a movie theater, or a supermarket, or wherever they want really. I don't see this as a security issue. If that were the solution, you'd need tighter security at schools, churches, Penn Station, Macy's, Disneyland... pretty much everywhere. You can't solve this problem with security. I don't know the answer, other than that I don't think this is it.
Maybe we need more security at places where there are a lot of people, particularly kids. An armed cop in every school? I never in a million years thought that would even be on the table, but after this....All I know is, like Obama said today, there's been too much of this. I live 1 mile from Manchester Distributors (the slaughter 2 years ago) and my son goes to school a couple towns over from Newtown. This #### is hitting way too close to home.
Why do we need more security at places where there are more kids than adults?
There are armed guards in a lot of banks protecting our money. Why not protect innocent kids too? :shrug:
Why is a kid more deserving of security than an adult? The average male adult is likely the father and/or grandfather and/or uncle and/or brother of >1 child. An adult being killed is likely going to have a very negative impact on many children.
Why is money more deserving of security than little kids?
I didn't say it was. Aren't the armed guards at banks hired and paid for by the banks themselves?
Im just asking probably stupid rhetorical questions and not looking to start a major debate and not singling you out for anything. And you're right they are privately funded which is a whole nother issue that's been stated and I agree with. Just emotional thoughts and questions I have running through my mind after a tragedy like today.
Understandable to get emotional after something so terrible. It isn't a bad thought though and it is reflective of what America is. Security guards protecting the money, nobody protecting the kids. There is something sadly poetically true about this.

a post on the Facebook from a girl I went to HS with, regarding her Elf on the Shelf:

Selfless act of a 9 year old. The stocking has snacks in it so he wouldnt get hungry. The note Jingle is holding says... "Its not that I don't want you and Im not giving you away, but Im asking you not to come back to my house until Monday. Kids were killed today and the moms and dads need you more than I do. Go to the houses and pray for them and if you can go to heaven tell the kids it will be ok."
The town priest was telling a story tonight about a 6-year-old girl who was one of the victims. He saw her in church every week. She celebrated her birthday recently, and she took the money she received and donated all of it to the victims of Hurricane Sandy.

Thought I was doing okay this evening, but after reading the above post, it absolutely hit home with me. I have a 5th grader and kindergartner.
Yep, same here. I just know its going to be exponentially more crushing to see these kids' faces and think about the above. Just an absolute pit of sorrow buried deep that's going to take a long time to shake. Can't stop thinking of their parents and siblings tonight.

Maybe we need more security at places where there are a lot of people, particularly kids. An armed cop in every school? I never in a million years thought that would even be on the table, but after this....All I know is, like Obama said today, there's been too much of this. I live 1 mile from Manchester Distributors (the slaughter 2 years ago) and my son goes to school a couple towns over from Newtown. This #### is hitting way too close to home.
There are armed guards in a lot of banks protecting our money. Why not protect innocent kids too? :shrug:
Why is a kid more deserving of security than an adult? The average male adult is likely the father and/or grandfather and/or uncle and/or brother of >1 child. An adult being killed is likely going to have a very negative impact on many children.
I didn't say it was. Aren't the armed guards at banks hired and paid for by the banks themselves?
Im just asking probably stupid rhetorical questions and not looking to start a major debate and not singling you out for anything. And you're right they are privately funded which is a whole nother issue that's been stated and I agree with. Just emotional thoughts and questions I have running through my mind after a tragedy like today.
Understandable to get emotional after something so terrible. It isn't a bad thought though and it is reflective of what America is. Security guards protecting the money, nobody protecting the kids. There is something sadly poetically true about this.
ugh...this sounds like a bad fb posting

there are guards protecting BOTH schools and banks, mainly in areas of high crime.

You are sensationalizing it to seem there is SEAL TEAM 6 at Wells Fargo branch on Main Street and kids go to school in the middle of a war zone

I have no kids, and I've found myself blubbering like a baby on more than one occasion today. I can only imagine what it's like for people who have kids that age, and I can't fathom what those parents who lost a child today must be going through. Thoprawishes to all.

Just like everything else, the focus is on the wrong thing.

The focus should be on mental health, not guns.

It's the mental health of that kid that pulled the trigger.

And please, quit trying to label the kid as something you have no clue about.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no kids, and I've found myself blubbering like a baby on more than one occasion today. I can only imagine what it's like for people who have kids that age, and I can't fathom what those parents who lost a child today must be going through.
:goodposting: I hugged my pets extra tight tonight anyway.

there are guards protecting BOTH schools and banks, mainly in areas of high crime.

You are sensationalizing it to seem there is SEAL TEAM 6 at Wells Fargo branch on Main Street and kids go to school in the middle of a war zone
Spin Spin Sugar

The parents of the children who didn't survive were told "If you haven't been reunited with your child yet... you won't be. It's over."Heartbreaking.
Holy ####...unthinkable. :cry:
Kids in a separate room in the fire house watching TV. Parent's kept outside the room and the kids were brought out and reconciled with their parents, but not all at once. Eventually they had to tell the remaining parents that there were no more kids left in the other room. Not that there is an easy way to do that, but that's freaking mental. It's like some kind of twisted nightmare version of a recess activity. Horrid.
I'm not really shaken easily by these things but when I heard this part I think it hit me harder than anything I've ever heard. I guess it took becoming a dad to fully grasp it. My daughter is 2 1/2 now and I just can't imagine sitting in that room and as time passes to realize your child isn't coming and they were murdered. It's inconceivable to me how you get through that.
I was on the road at the time listening to MSNBC on Sirius, so I could be wrong. But I believe the Governor was the one who delivered the message.
I'm not sure who told them but the jist I heard on another station basically the same situation you described. There was a description of when they had to go in and tell them and people outside could just hear the "wailes" from inside.

While this is horrible, I can't imagine crying over it unless it directly affected me. I guess I'm just a cold, heartless *******.

Sorry tf you thought it was a bad post, I was empathizing with someone here. Did you not see I was the person arguing against needing more security in schools?

I have no kids, and I've found myself blubbering like a baby on more than one occasion today. I can only imagine what it's like for people who have kids that age, and I can't fathom what those parents who lost a child today must be going through.
:goodposting: I hugged my pets extra tight tonight anyway.
That brought out the first and only laugh I've had today. Thanks for that!

Last edited:
While this is horrible, I can't imagine crying over it unless it directly affected me. I guess I'm just a cold, heartless *******.
We deal with things differently. I've shed tears a few times, mainly after seeing pictures of parents who probably lost a child. I know how much I love my kids. Thinking about how they could possibly feel upsets me greatly.

I haven't cried in 15 years. I haven't read a lot of the reports and I don't pretend to get in to the "drama" going on on Facebook and such. But when I saw the CNN.com headline that 20 elementary school kids had died, I needed a moment. I have a 2 year old and I can't even begin to imagine what that would feel like. And I wouldn't want to.

I started to choke up when Obama almost lost it. :bag:
Lost it a few times...once when they were interviewing the first grade teacher when she talked about telling her kids that she loved them because she thought they were all going to die and she wanted the last thing for them to know is that someone loved them. Once when Geraldo was describing what may have been happening in the room as the shooter was shooting the most helpless of victims. Victims who probably froze with fear and didn't even understand enough to run or to hide. Once when I glanced in my mirror and saw my two kids in the back seat on the way home from daycare.

Lost it a few times...once when they were interviewing the first grade teacher when she talked about telling her kids that she loved them because she thought they were all going to die and she wanted the last thing for them to know is that someone loved them. Once when Geraldo was describing what may have been happening in the room as the shooter was shooting the most helpless of victims. Victims who probably froze with fear and didn't even understand enough to run or to hide. Once when I glanced in my mirror and saw my two kids in the back seat on the way home from daycare.
Yeah that was kind of my thought. He basically executed these kids. I doubt it was a scrambling situation at all. Only one person injured, everyone else killed. It sounds like he mythodically went one by one for nobody to have survived.

On 20/20, watching the interview with the first grade teacher that was in the bathroom protecting her kids got me good. Some of the things she was describing, you just can't imagine the fear her and the kids must've felt. She admitted she thought they were all going to die, and told them all she loved them, because that's the last thing she wanted them to hear if they were to be killed. Brutal. :cry:

It is absolutely awful. I am thankful for having a 5yr old dozing on the couch next to me, watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. Its flipping sickening, actually.

Hearing how the news was broken to the parents at the firestation after waiting on their kids to come is gutwrenching. Basically told there were no more kids coming. :(

Hearing how the news was broken to the parents at the firestation after waiting on their kids to come is gutwrenching. Basically told there were no more kids coming. :(
The absolute worst. Then if that isn't bad enough to know they are lying dead up in that school and not even being able to go to them.

I've seen the same mother and daughter interviewed on at least three different programs today. What is this mother thinking? Why put her through all of these ridiculous questions at this time?

I refuse to watch the coverage. Having 2 kids under 5, I can't even watch tv shows about kids getting hurt.
this is me.2 year old twins and a third on the way next monthA few years ago today wouldn't really have bothered me(not me, who cares?)......but now I just lose it every time I hear of a child being injured/killed(even if it's fictitious)

The absolute worst. Then if that isn't bad enough to know they are lying dead up in that school and not even being able to go to them.
This. Hold them, touch them just one last time. ANYTHING.

We deal with things differently. I've shed tears a few times, mainly after seeing pictures of parents who probably lost a child. I know how much I love my kids. Thinking about how they could possibly feel upsets me greatly.
That and the picture of the children leaving in a line. Those kids looked so scared. Imagining my child with that fear and then imagining the last moments of those poor kids who didn't make it. The confusion and fear those kids must have had. It kills me.

On 20/20, watching the interview with the first grade teacher that was in the bathroom protecting her kids got me good. Some of the things she was describing, you just can't imagine the fear her and the kids must've felt. She admitted she thought they were all going to die, and told them all she loved them, because that's the last thing she wanted them to hear if they were to be killed. Brutal. :cry:
She was amazing. We aren't allowed to lock our doors or cover our windows. And while that wouldn't keep a shooter out, it might slow him down a little. Unbelievably, my school, over 2000 miles away, went on lock down over this.

I refuse to watch the coverage. Having 2 kids under 5, I can't even watch tv shows about kids getting hurt.
this is me.2 year old twins and a third on the way next monthA few years ago today wouldn't really have bothered me(not me, who cares?)......but now I just lose it every time I hear of a child being injured/killed(even if it's fictitious)
I generally pretty detached and of a similar mindset. This is something so horrible, I'd think that even if you didn't have kids, you'd be able to empathize with parents who sent their kids to Elementary school one Friday morning and never saw them alive again, as well as with the poor innocent children who died at the hands of this lunatic. It shakes anyone with any kind of compassion for their fellow man to the core.

Im with you.Have had my daughter here sick all day...then my son home from school. Could not watch it then...did not turn it on after they went to bed.Got a bit of it from on here and other sources...and so much from facebook had to step away from it all for a bit.Have an 8 year old and my little girl will be 5 in a month.Just can't imagine something like this happening to them.Started running 2 years ago and a big part of it was to help a friend's charity. And often thought about always trying to raise money for something...and keep coming back to their charity because it means the most to me as it supports funding for childhood cancer research and helping the families affected by childhood cancer (they lost their daughter when she was 3 I believe...6 years ago...coming up on 7 years now....the mother also lost her sister to a crazy psycho...today was an awful day for her hearing about another psycho and him doing this to kids).Anyway...always wondered what my passion would be as far as some charity to support and this became it.

The bodies of the young victims remained where they fell Friday night, as authorities worked to positively identify them.
J. C.
I've been thinking it all night, hasn't seemed right that the parents haven't seen the remains of the obviously deceased...but I wonder how brutally murdered some of their bodies are. So small, probably shot at point blank range and sadly medics have to follow protocol. They all know who didn't come out of that building and everyone knows what rooms the carnage happened in, but each one must be independently identified. I get it, but...ugh, brutal.

The bodies of the young victims remained where they fell Friday night, as authorities worked to positively identify them.
J. C.
I've been thinking it all night, hasn't seemed right that the parents haven't seen the remains of the obviously deceased...but I wonder how brutally murdered some of their bodies are. So small, probably shot at point blank range and sadly medics have to follow protocol. They all know who didn't come out of that building and everyone knows what rooms the carnage happened in, but each one must be independently identified. I get it, but...ugh, brutal.
As much as those parents probably want to hold their children's bodies again, they would probably be haunted the rest of their lives by witnessing that scene. There just isn't a good way to handle this.

Users who are viewing this thread