What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Any Aquarium guys? (1 Viewer)

Agreed on the 20. Also, the idea that a smaller tank is easier to maintain is false. It's easier to maintain a larger tank. Don't have to do as frequent water changes, water quality is more stabile, more surface area for oxygenation. Another myth is that more volume of water means more fish can be housed in the tank when in fact, it's the amount of surface area. So a 30 gallon and a 45 high, can house the same nunmber of fish as they have the same footprint. 

Thanks all. I got the 20 gal, over my wife’s objection. Will also try to move my daughter off the notion of an angel fish, more into the idea of a group of hardier small fish that have a better chance of survival. Also need to deal with the fact that the aquarium won’t have any fish in it for a week or so. Basically, Dad once again taking all the fun out of things she wants to do. She’s getting used to it, just like her mom had to so long ago ...

Marina LED Aquarium Kit, 20 gallon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0173I55Q0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_HdbOAbDH0SD0K

Thanks all. I got the 20 gal, over my wife’s objection. Will also try to move my daughter off the notion of an angel fish, more into the idea of a group of hardier small fish that have a better chance of survival. Also need to deal with the fact that the aquarium won’t have any fish in it for a week or so. Basically, Dad once again taking all the fun out of things she wants to do. She’s getting used to it, just like her mom had to so long ago ...

Marina LED Aquarium Kit, 20 gallon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0173I55Q0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_HdbOAbDH0SD0K
Smaller fish do not necessarily mean hardier. That being said, go buy 3-4 cory cats. They don't get very big and they help keep the tank clean by cleaning up any bits the angels let get past them. Also, angels are fairly hardy fish. They look dainty but they are not feeble by any means.

You could also do a school of tetras but don't go with neon tetras. They are too small. Eventually, the angels will get big enough and eat them. There are lots of other tetra species you can go with tho. A couple angels, school of tetras and some cories is about all you need. If you decide to go with a pleco, don't get a stardard one. they get a couple feet long. Pony up and go with something exotic that stays small. There are hundreds of options and some really incredible specimens that your pet store can order.

Also, on the cories, there are tons of different varieties there too, not just the albino ones the petstore will have in droves. There are green ones, salt and pepper ones, striped ones. Corydoras Metae is one of my faves.

If you want to speed up getting fish into the tank, ask the pet store to give you 5-10 gallons of their conditioned water. Take a couple 5 gallon buckets with lids, ask them to fill them. A smaller place will likely do this no problem. A place like Petsmart, not so much. If you go 50% conditioned water, you could put some fish in right away. I'd start with the corys and scout for some primo angels. I would do a black, veil, lace as one for certain. Look for red eyes. For the other, maybe a marble or a silver. Look for veil (long fins) and lace (lacy fins) if possible. Again, ask the petstore for better angels than the plain ones. 

There's also "instant" conditioner you can get for a few bucks at Petco. Pour in a bottle and you can add fish pretty quickly after. 
Cautionary tail if you go this route. Stay with only a few fish, namely the cories Fanatic mentioned. While the instant conditioner will allow you to drop fish in right away, the tank still needs to cycle. Usually the instant stuff will hold you over until this takes place. The fewer fish will help prevent a massive ammonia spike. The conditioned water idea is your best bet, unless you know someone who had an established tank and can give you a used filter sponge or something. 

Cautionary tail if you go this route. Stay with only a few fish, namely the cories Fanatic mentioned. While the instant conditioner will allow you to drop fish in right away, the tank still needs to cycle. Usually the instant stuff will hold you over until this takes place. The fewer fish will help prevent a massive ammonia spike. The conditioned water idea is your best bet, unless you know someone who had an established tank and can give you a used filter sponge or something. 
A used filter sponge is a good call too. Whenever I moved a tank, I tried to take as much water with me from the established tank and about a week out, I cleaned the filter so that it would be reconditioned by the time I moved but also, not bloated with muck. 

Ok, I would love some help setting up an aquarium.  So the story is my 9 year old son is desperate for a pet so my wife and I decided a fish was the best route as we just can't handle a dog at this time and wife hates cats.  Since my wife was eager for this I let her lead the way and she bought a 10 gallon fish tank kit and a few fish (to be honest I don't know what they were but were all pretty small and were on the advice of the pet store).  Unfortunately, they only lasted a couple of days and it is pretty clear after reading this thread that the tank was just not ready for fish.  My son and wife want to get more fish but I don't want to add them in and have another round of dead fish as a result, which just seems cruel to me.  So I have held them off and decided to take this over and do it right so would love some help/advice.  I plan to keep my son involved since they will be his pets.  

I posted some links below of the tank and other items I have bought.  My current plan is to empty out all the water in the tank and start fishless cycle to get the tank ready.  Plan to use tap water and the conditioner that came with the kit.  I plan also to test the water I currently have to see what exactly the water looks like but imagine it is a mess so might as well start over.  Will then add the Bacteria I bought and some ammonia to get things started (link to stuff below).  Plan test it after a couple of days and add some more ammonia and retest, etc.  

A few quick questions I had that I hoped people could help with.

- Since the fish we bought died in the tank I think it makes the most sense to start over but let me know if it is better to just do a big water change (like 50%) and then start the cycle. 

- When do you know the new tank is ready?  I would think after you add ammonia and it comes back with 0 after 24 hours?

- What kind of fish should we get once we are done with the cycle?  I really just want to keep something alive so was thinking of a couple of a small really hardy fish and we can add something more interesting latter.  I don't really have a preference other than they stay alive.  Tank is pretty small so realize won't be able to put much in.  

- Should I upgrade any of the items in the kit?  For example a better filter or heater.  Heater seems really cheap in the kit but temperature is reading 78 so that seems pretty good.  

Thanks for any and all advice.  

PS - I don't mind throwing some money at the problem but don't really have space for a larger tank until we finish renovating our basement which is a few months out and the tank is going to be in my son's room.  If son and I enjoy this we probably have room for a larger 20 or 30 gallon tank once the renovations are done.

Tank kit we have - https://www.amazon.com/Aqueon-Fish-Aquarium-Starter-Gallon/dp/B01LCZMHPM

Testing kit I bought yesterday - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000255NCI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bacteria starter thing I bought yesterday - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001LUOB6W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ammonia thing I bought - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006MP4QG6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I started a tank 15 years ago.  I guy on my hockey team owned a pet store and said I only needed water conditioner and a pinch of fish flakes (would do the same as the bottle of bacteria) at startup. ran the filter for a week, added fish and everything turned out fine. 

I would never put water from a store in my tank. they have a high turnover of fish and add chemicals to fight disease.

I mean, at the end of the day, it probably would have been better to start with at least a slightly bigger tank. You get a lot more margin for error. But at the end of the day, you have room for what you, so you gotta make the best of it.

You've got the right idea regarding the fishless cycle. The API test kit is good. If you could get some filter media from someone else who has a tank, that would be a great start.  if not, you just add ammonia up to like 4 PPM and see how long it takes to cycle out. First it will turn into nitrite and then nitrate. Once you can add 4 PPM of ammonia and all of it (plus all the bi-product nitrite) goes away in 24 hours, you're good.

A few live plants would help speed up the process and build you a little more room for error. Obviously you can't buy anything fancy, but some java moss or anubias or some sort of moss will soak up some nutrients and help support the fish in a new tank. And they'll stay alive even with the basic lights that come with that tank.

Crazy that I started this thread over 10 years ago.  I actually replaced my original 75 gallon tank when I moved back in July. And the tank is now a heavily planted tank occupied by about 15 rainbow fish (Goyder River, Bosemani and Turquoise)  and a school of torpedo barbs (plus some other random stragglers that have been around for a few yearss). Giving serious thought to putting a 240 gallon long (with a 75 gallon sump)  in basement office this spring/summer and just going with a whole mess of rainbows (easily my favorite fish now) and a small school of clown loaches. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Crazy that I started this thread over 10 years ago.  I actually replaced my original 75 gallon tank when I moved back in July. And the tank is now a heavily planted tank occupied by about 15 rainbow fish (Goyder River, Bosemani and Turquoise)  and a school of torpedo barbs (plus some other random stragglers that have been around for a few yearss). Giving serious thought to putting a 240 gallon long (with a 75 gallon sump)  in basement office this spring/summer and just going with a whole mess of rainbows (easily my favorite fish now) and a small school of clown loaches. 
I was a pretty heavy contributor to this thread over the last decade, but when I moved to the new house just over 3 years ago, I sold my last tank an African Cichlid tank. It was a masterpiece, full of fully colored male peacocks and mature Synondontis Multipunctatis cats as well as some pretty exotic plecos (I kept the water fairly neutral to accommodate these species). I just didn't have the time to appreciate it. All I ever did was water changes and feedings. I never sat down and enjoyed it. It was just work for me. I get the itch every now and again and I have a spot that could hold a 100 gallon tank quite easily, but not until at least a couple of the kids go to college. If I ever jump back in, I'll be back in here and document the whole process. 

Redwes25 said:
Ok, I would love some help setting up an aquarium.  So the story is my 9 year old son is desperate for a pet so my wife and I decided a fish was the best route as we just can't handle a dog at this time and wife hates cats.  Since my wife was eager for this I let her lead the way and she bought a 10 gallon fish tank kit and a few fish (to be honest I don't know what they were but were all pretty small and were on the advice of the pet store).  Unfortunately, they only lasted a couple of days and it is pretty clear after reading this thread that the tank was just not ready for fish.  My son and wife want to get more fish but I don't want to add them in and have another round of dead fish as a result, which just seems cruel to me.  So I have held them off and decided to take this over and do it right so would love some help/advice.  I plan to keep my son involved since they will be his pets.  

I posted some links below of the tank and other items I have bought.  My current plan is to empty out all the water in the tank and start fishless cycle to get the tank ready.  Plan to use tap water and the conditioner that came with the kit.  I plan also to test the water I currently have to see what exactly the water looks like but imagine it is a mess so might as well start over.  Will then add the Bacteria I bought and some ammonia to get things started (link to stuff below).  Plan test it after a couple of days and add some more ammonia and retest, etc.  

A few quick questions I had that I hoped people could help with.

- Since the fish we bought died in the tank I think it makes the most sense to start over but let me know if it is better to just do a big water change (like 50%) and then start the cycle. 

- When do you know the new tank is ready?  I would think after you add ammonia and it comes back with 0 after 24 hours?

- What kind of fish should we get once we are done with the cycle?  I really just want to keep something alive so was thinking of a couple of a small really hardy fish and we can add something more interesting latter.  I don't really have a preference other than they stay alive.  Tank is pretty small so realize won't be able to put much in.  

- Should I upgrade any of the items in the kit?  For example a better filter or heater.  Heater seems really cheap in the kit but temperature is reading 78 so that seems pretty good.  

Thanks for any and all advice.  

PS - I don't mind throwing some money at the problem but don't really have space for a larger tank until we finish renovating our basement which is a few months out and the tank is going to be in my son's room.  If son and I enjoy this we probably have room for a larger 20 or 30 gallon tank once the renovations are done.

Tank kit we have - https://www.amazon.com/Aqueon-Fish-Aquarium-Starter-Gallon/dp/B01LCZMHPM

Testing kit I bought yesterday - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000255NCI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bacteria starter thing I bought yesterday - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001LUOB6W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ammonia thing I bought - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006MP4QG6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Test your water. The fish that were in there and died may have cycled the tank. You may not need to do a water change. 

Test your water. The fish that were in there and died may have cycled the tank. You may not need to do a water change. 
Thanks.  Definitely going to test the water first to see what it looks like.  Test kit arrives from Amazon today.    

Thanks.  Definitely going to test the water first to see what it looks like.  Test kit arrives from Amazon today.    
It very well could be good to go right now. Those fish put bacteria into the water as well as ammonia. Let the two work together for a few days and you just might have well conditioned water by now. 

I mean, at the end of the day, it probably would have been better to start with at least a slightly bigger tank. You get a lot more margin for error. But at the end of the day, you have room for what you, so you gotta make the best of it.

You've got the right idea regarding the fishless cycle. The API test kit is good. If you could get some filter media from someone else who has a tank, that would be a great start.  if not, you just add ammonia up to like 4 PPM and see how long it takes to cycle out. First it will turn into nitrite and then nitrate. Once you can add 4 PPM of ammonia and all of it (plus all the bi-product nitrite) goes away in 24 hours, you're good.

A few live plants would help speed up the process and build you a little more room for error. Obviously you can't buy anything fancy, but some java moss or anubias or some sort of moss will soak up some nutrients and help support the fish in a new tank. And they'll stay alive even with the basic lights that come with that tank.

Would love to do real plants and toss out the plastic ones we bought.  Figured a small tank wouldn't support them but if it would help the environment then probably worth the extra effort.

Also, any thoughts on a fish.  Given the small tank I have read I can only do about 10 inches of fish which leave us with probably a max of 6 or 7 small fish when fully grown.  Given this another option I had thought was maybe to get a single Betta fish.  Might look good with some plants etc. 

Would love peoples input.   

Would love to do real plants and toss out the plastic ones we bought.  Figured a small tank wouldn't support them but if it would help the environment then probably worth the extra effort.

Also, any thoughts on a fish.  Given the small tank I have read I can only do about 10 inches of fish which leave us with probably a max of 6 or 7 small fish when fully grown.  Given this another option I had thought was maybe to get a single Betta fish.  Might look good with some plants etc. 

Live plants require an extra light which I'm guessing would require a new hood for you. To do plastic plants right, buy the same type of plant in multiple sizes and clump them together. They are way lower maintenance and look pretty good when done right.

Smaller fish, yes.

You could do a school of neon tetras and some larger tetras. You could do a school of 10 neon tetras and a few larger, black neons and would be fine.

You could do a few Bolivian Rams,  couple cories (bottom feeder cats) and a farlowella (stick pleco) or a albino bristlenose. 

Tiger barbs and rosie barbs?

Avoid guppies and mollies. They breed way too easily. That tank would be overrun inside a year

Cories would be good for any of these tanks. Look for the more exotic ones like Corydorus Matae. 

Don't buy a reguler pleco, or just about any plecostumus as the "required" cleaner fish. A farlowella doesn't get very big (at least it doesn't do so quickly) and bristlenose top out at maybe 3 inches. There are other, really exotic plecos that stay small, but they are spendy and I wouldn't go there until you have done this a few years. 

Live plants require an extra light which I'm guessing would require a new hood for you. To do plastic plants right, buy the same type of plant in multiple sizes and clump them together. They are way lower maintenance and look pretty good when done right.

Smaller fish, yes.

You could do a school of neon tetras and some larger tetras. You could do a school of 10 neon tetras and a few larger, black neons and would be fine.

You could do a few Bolivian Rams,  couple cories (bottom feeder cats) and a farlowella (stick pleco) or a albino bristlenose. 

Tiger barbs and rosie barbs?

Avoid guppies and mollies. They breed way too easily. That tank would be overrun inside a year

Cories would be good for any of these tanks. Look for the more exotic ones like Corydorus Matae. 

Don't buy a reguler pleco, or just about any plecostumus as the "required" cleaner fish. A farlowella doesn't get very big (at least it doesn't do so quickly) and bristlenose top out at maybe 3 inches. There are other, really exotic plecos that stay small, but they are spendy and I wouldn't go there until you have done this a few years. 
Basically have this hood which has LED lighting built in - https://www.aqueon.com/products/lighting/led-economy-full-hoods.  Would a low light plant or two like a Java fern work?  

Thanks for the info on fish.  Will check out those options.  I just don't want to crowd the tank.  Might be easiest to start with a group of small tetras and then if they do well add a few cories so we have fish at different levels.  

Basically have this hood which has LED lighting built in - https://www.aqueon.com/products/lighting/led-economy-full-hoods.  Would a low light plant or two like a Java fern work?  

Thanks for the info on fish.  Will check out those options.  I just don't want to crowd the tank.  Might be easiest to start with a group of small tetras and then if they do well add a few cories so we have fish at different levels.  
Not sure at how much wattage those put out. I got out of the game before LED's really took over. Was still doing florescent when I bailed

Tetras and cories would cover a lot of levels. Oh, and the more plants/woodwork/rock work the tetras can hide in, the more they will come out and show off their colors. Sounds weird, but if they have that safe place so close, they have no problem coming out into the open. Stuff the tank all along the back with plants and wood/rocks and they would really pop.

Oh, and I'll call the over under 12 months on how long it takes you to buy a bigger tank. Once you get bitten by this and realize how small that tank really is (even though it seems huge now), you will be jumping into a bigger tank. Go 30 gallon at a minimum on your next one. 

It very well could be good to go right now. Those fish put bacteria into the water as well as ammonia. Let the two work together for a few days and you just might have well conditioned water by now. 
Tested water on Friday and was 1.0 ppm for ammonia so not fully cycled.  Added some bacteria to speed up the cycle.  Going to retest soon soon and see if at 0 and then add some ammonia t make sure it cleans it up.  

Also, found an awesome small local pet store that only does fish.  Huge selection of fish and store is run by the two owners.  You can also hire them to set up and run your aquarium for you but that seems like no fun.  Though imagine if you owned a business where you wanted an aquarium as part of decorations it would make some sense.   On their advice (given the lighting I have) I went without live plants but some nice plastic plants as well as some driftwood.  Will likely get fish this weekend coming up.   

The inch-per-gallon rule is kinda flawed and I wouldn't bother following it when stocking a new tank. For example, a 10 inch fish in a 10 gallon tank would be a really bad idea. On the other hand, you could probably exceed an inch per gallon if the fish occupy different levels of the tank (e.g. some bottom feeders and some top dwellers). The inch/gallon rule also doesn't account for different tank dimensions - for example, you can stock more in longer tanks than higher tanks because fish swim horizontally. If you still want some guidance,  aqadvisor is a nifty tool - it's a stocking calculator that tries to take some of those nuances into account. A single betta or a school of cardinal tetras with a handful of panda corys patrolling the bottom would be solid choices for a 10g IMO.

The LED hood you showed us should be fine if you want some anubias, java fern, moss, etc. as they can thrive with very low levels of light. Beyond that, it might get dicey. There's not much data out there on the intensity of that particular light fixture, but if I had to guess, I'd say it's not very strong. 

Overall, you seem to be on the right track. The API test kit is the best in the business and you seem to have a good idea of how to cycle your tank. I'll echo what @TLEF316 said w/r/t cycling - once you can add 4-5 ppm of ammonia to your tank and it converts to nitrate in 24 hours, you're good to go. That will give you a rock-solid biofilter and allows you to stock your tank much faster than if you had done a fish-in cycle.

The inch-per-gallon rule is kinda flawed and I wouldn't bother following it when stocking a new tank. For example, a 10 inch fish in a 10 gallon tank would be a really bad idea. On the other hand, you could probably exceed an inch per gallon if the fish occupy different levels of the tank (e.g. some bottom feeders and some top dwellers). The inch/gallon rule also doesn't account for different tank dimensions - for example, you can stock more in longer tanks than higher tanks because fish swim horizontally. If you still want some guidance,  aqadvisor is a nifty tool - it's a stocking calculator that tries to take some of those nuances into account. A single betta or a school of cardinal tetras with a handful of panda corys patrolling the bottom would be solid choices for a 10g IMO.

The LED hood you showed us should be fine if you want some anubias, java fern, moss, etc. as they can thrive with very low levels of light. Beyond that, it might get dicey. There's not much data out there on the intensity of that particular light fixture, but if I had to guess, I'd say it's not very strong. 

Overall, you seem to be on the right track. The API test kit is the best in the business and you seem to have a good idea of how to cycle your tank. I'll echo what @TLEF316 said w/r/t cycling - once you can add 4-5 ppm of ammonia to your tank and it converts to nitrate in 24 hours, you're good to go. That will give you a rock-solid biofilter and allows you to stock your tank much faster than if you had done a fish-in cycle.
This is close, but a bit off. The reason you can put more fish in say a 45 gallon long over a 45 high, is the 45 gallon long (48 inches by 12) has more surface area than the 45 high (36 inches by 12), where as a 55 long (also 48X12) can't house as many fish as a 56 high (36X18). The surface area is where oxygen enters the water. That's why we put air stones in tanks. Not for the bubbles in the tank, but for the ripple at the top which increases the oxygen diffusion into the water. The bubbles in the tanks are purely for aesthetics whereas the ripple actually has a purpose. 

Bought my kids a 10 gallon tank. 

4 dead fishes in 5 days. 

Think I've worked out the kinks though, hopefully good moving forward. 

This is close, but a bit off. The reason you can put more fish in say a 45 gallon long over a 45 high, is the 45 gallon long (48 inches by 12) has more surface area than the 45 high (36 inches by 12), where as a 55 long (also 48X12) can't house as many fish as a 56 high (36X18). The surface area is where oxygen enters the water. That's why we put air stones in tanks. Not for the bubbles in the tank, but for the ripple at the top which increases the oxygen diffusion into the water. The bubbles in the tanks are purely for aesthetics whereas the ripple actually has a purpose. 
That's definitely an important consideration if oxygen will be at a premium in your tank - pet stores are a good example. Their holding tanks are always stocked to the max, thus having high O2 demands, so it's not a coincidence that most of those tanks have air stones in them. In normally-stocked healthy household tanks though, it's pretty rare to run into issues with inadequate oxygen. The surface agitation produced by a standard HOB or canister filter is usually more than enough to facilitate the necessary gas exchange even in a tank with a relatively small surface area. There are some situations (heat treatment for ich, etc.) in which adequate O2 can be a concern, but under normal circumstances, oxygenation should not be a big worry IMO. 

I appreciate the discussion regarding how many fish a tank can handle from an academic perspective, but I need to know how many fish I can safely add to my tank.  I've searched high and low, and the common answer of course is the previously debunked, but oft-cited 1" per gal rule.

We (finally) got our tank set up a couple weeks ago, and added some starter fish from the "hardy" section of the store - 6 "giant danio" fish that are about an inch long, and 4 tiny zebra  danio fish.  Its a 20 gal tank, 24 x 12..  Everything is going well so far.  I told the kids we'd be adding some less hardy (for them, more interesting/colorful) fish in a week or so if things hold.  I still don't know how many I can add. 

I appreciate the discussion regarding how many fish a tank can handle from an academic perspective, but I need to know how many fish I can safely add to my tank.  I've searched high and low, and the common answer of course is the previously debunked, but oft-cited 1" per gal rule.

We (finally) got our tank set up a couple weeks ago, and added some starter fish from the "hardy" section of the store - 6 "giant danio" fish that are about an inch long, and 4 tiny zebra  danio fish.  Its a 20 gal tank, 24 x 12..  Everything is going well so far.  I told the kids we'd be adding some less hardy (for them, more interesting/colorful) fish in a week or so if things hold.  I still don't know how many I can add. 
I would suggest the aqadvisor tool - you can enter your tank dimensions, filter, and current fish, and it will give you feedback on how full your tank currently is. You can play around with hypotheticals and see if your tank can handle an extra school of fish, things like that. It’s not perfect (probably a little conservative in most cases), but it’s a lot more useful than the inch/gallon rule and can offer some really helpful guidance IMO.

I would suggest the aqadvisor tool - you can enter your tank dimensions, filter, and current fish, and it will give you feedback on how full your tank currently is. You can play around with hypotheticals and see if your tank can handle an extra school of fish, things like that. It’s not perfect (probably a little conservative in most cases), but it’s a lot more useful than the inch/gallon rule and can offer some really helpful guidance IMO.
I sure hope this is conservative:

Warning: You NEED to add more aquarium filtration capacity!!! [This filter came with the tank]

Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is 34%.
Recommended water change schedule: 52% per week. (You might want to split this water change schedule to two separate 30% per week) [no way we are going to clean/change water this often]
Your aquarium stocking level is 149%.
Your tank is overstocked. Unless you are an experienced aquarist who can meet the maintenance/biological needs of this aquarium, lower stocking levels are recommended.  [We drove quite a way to go to a highly recommend fish-only store - great place - and are doing exactly what they told us to do!]

I sure hope this is conservative:
If I had to guess, I'd say the Giant Danios account for a lot of that panic. I've never kept them, but I know some places recommend a minimum tank size of 30g for them, since they are pretty active and can get relatively big (as the name implies). This is a projection though, as aqadvisor assumes adult-sized fish. Of course, it's not exactly a crisis right now if they're only an inch long.

As far as water changes go, I would read this article. It sounds like you're in the midst of a fish-in cycle, so that article will explain how to build up the necessary bacteria to make your tank inhabitable to additional, less-hardy fish.

Do you know how many gallons per hour your filter pumps? You may need to look it up if it came as part of a tank startup kit. If it pumps something like 4-5 times the size of the tank every hour (so in your case 80-100 gph) I wouldn't really worry about it. 

Kept fish a lot when I was a kid -- even through college, but haven't done it in a long time now.  Looking into a 30/40 gallon tank maximized for surface area and trying to get a bead on a couple things...

Any reason a bigger tank like that couldn't hold something like...

A pair of male guppies, maybe three cory cats, a couple(?) algae eaters, one beta, and a school of tetras?  If so, can I mix the tetra breeds?  Any other ideas in terms of another unique centerpiece fish in a tank like that (like the beta) if there's room? 

I like barbs and cichlids, but always found them to be too nippy.

Also, what's the best place to actually buy fish these days?  We have the big chains near us but those fish always seemed so sketchy.  Are smaller stores still around?  Is there a trick to getting good fish?

Dinsy Ejotuz said:
Kept fish a lot when I was a kid -- even through college, but haven't done it in a long time now.  Looking into a 30/40 gallon tank maximized for surface area and trying to get a bead on a couple things...

Any reason a bigger tank like that couldn't hold something like...

A pair of male guppies, maybe three cory cats, a couple(?) algae eaters, one beta, and a school of tetras?  If so, can I mix the tetra breeds?  Any other ideas in terms of another unique centerpiece fish in a tank like that (like the beta) if there's room? 

I like barbs and cichlids, but always found them to be too nippy.

Also, what's the best place to actually buy fish these days?  We have the big chains near us but those fish always seemed so sketchy.  Are smaller stores still around?  Is there a trick to getting good fish?
Absolutely. A 40g breeder tank, for example, has fantastic dimensions and you could probably stock it with more than that. You could probably do the guppy pair, 6-8 corys, a couple schools of tetras, and a centerpiece. I've found that bettas are hit or miss in community tanks - some coexist with the other fish perfectly fine, others lash out. For other centerpiece fish ideas, I love dwarf cichlids - Bolivian Rams, German Blue Rams, apistos, and so on. In my experience they're way less aggressive than larger cichlids. You could probably have a pair in addition to the other fish.

I'd aim to keep larger schools of single types of tetra rather than mixing them up too much. Sometimes an oddball will school with another species if it has to, but it's best to avoid that if possible IMO.

What kind of algae eater are you considering?

I would definitely seek out a local store when buying fish. The health of the fish in big box stores varies a lot from location to location, but some can be pretty rough. If you don't live in an area with a smaller shop and the big chains seem sketchy, buying online is also an option. I did this a lot when I lived in a rural town with no pet stores whatsoever. Wet spot has a fantastic selection, and you can finds tons of stuff on aquabid, which is pretty much ebay for fish. The major downside to that method is shipping costs, but it can be worth it if you're getting some cool species that you can't find locally.

Yeah... went digging for fish capacity and found some decent guidelines.  Getting kind of stoked about doing this right.

Biggest worry is a power outage killing all of them -- in the 5 years we've been here we've had a few that would have wiped out an aquarium.

Have never messed with live plants much, other than an odd banana plant or two way way back, but I'm intrigued after looking around.

caustic said:
That's definitely an important consideration if oxygen will be at a premium in your tank - pet stores are a good example. Their holding tanks are always stocked to the max, thus having high O2 demands, so it's not a coincidence that most of those tanks have air stones in them. In normally-stocked healthy household tanks though, it's pretty rare to run into issues with inadequate oxygen. The surface agitation produced by a standard HOB or canister filter is usually more than enough to facilitate the necessary gas exchange even in a tank with a relatively small surface area. There are some situations (heat treatment for ich, etc.) in which adequate O2 can be a concern, but under normal circumstances, oxygenation should not be a big worry IMO. 
Oxygen is not a concern in new tanks. People buy a few fish and drop them in there and love the tank for a while, then they pop into the pet store, something catches their eye and they ask if it's compatible with their current community. At just about every big box pet store, the answer will be yes, even if someone asks, "will this oscar be OK with my tetras?" The answer will be, "yes, the oscar will be fine." There will be no mention of how the tetras just became a food source as long as they make the sale, but I digress. 

So they go home with the new fish (not an oscar, that was just a pet peeve of mine) and drop it in the tank. A couple weeks later, another one goes in the tank. And even if they stop there we will have a problem in 6 months to a year. All the fish are going to grow. And when they do, oxygen becomes a problem. The vast majority of novice aquarists stock the tank to the max right out of the gate with no thought for fish growth.

And it's not just oxygen. It's also the waste load that the fish leave behind. When the tank is new and the fish population and size are small, everything is great. Skip a water change? No big deal. But a couple years later when everything is bigger and the waste load is exponentially larger, then skipping water changes along with not enough oxygen to go around and then a fish with a minor ailment that it would normally cure on its own, is gasping for air one day, belly up the next. But that actually helps the rest of the fish as that's one less fish putting waste into the water and taking in oxygen. Until of course the tank owner replaces the fish and here we go again. 

It's the old adage. How does one become a millionaire? Live below ones means. Not many people do that in this country. It's pay check to pay check or bust. And the vast majority of aquarists, partly fueled by pet store employees trying to make a sale and a general lack of knowledge, pack that tank as full as they can from day one with no consideration for growth or the addition of more or new species of fish. 

Ok, so we added a few fish this weekend.  I decided to keep the numbers low to make sure there were no issues and imagine adding a few more in the near future.  We got 2 three stripped Cory and 3 neon tetras.  They all seem to be doing really well.  I do realize they do better in larger groups so was thinking we add another Cory and two more tetras in a week or two.  I just wanted to make sure the tank was ready before fully stocking it.

My last thought would be to add a single feature fish like a Honey Gourami or something similar.  This would likely be a little later down the road.  Would be open to any ideas.  

Ok, so we added a few fish this weekend.  I decided to keep the numbers low to make sure there were no issues and imagine adding a few more in the near future.  We got 2 three stripped Cory and 3 neon tetras.  They all seem to be doing really well.  I do realize they do better in larger groups so was thinking we add another Cory and two more tetras in a week or two.  I just wanted to make sure the tank was ready before fully stocking it.

My last thought would be to add a single feature fish like a Honey Gourami or something similar.  This would likely be a little later down the road.  Would be open to any ideas.  
You don't need any more cories in that tank. I would rather have 3 more tetras than a single cory. And a honey gourami would be a fantastic feature fish. 

This reminds me...

When I was 10 or 12 after lots of freshwater tanks we set up a 100-gallon saltwater tank and over the years my dad and I learned all about the exhilarating thrills and agonizing defeats of trying to recreate the ocean (great bonding experience for me and my pops and a cool way to learn about science). After six or so years we had a great setup with some fairly exotic fish and invertebrates and managed to keep them all alive for six months or more. Then (we surmise) the cleaning lady accidentally bumped the knob on the heater while dusting (it was a dumb, ultra sensitive design) and almost everything was dead within a day or two...cooked. We quit after that. It was so, so disheartening.

Years later my dad's new wife gave him an ultimatum: set up the tank or get rid of it. He did the whole saltwater thing again with spectacular results (and a few watery graves of course). Then a heat wave hit and the temps went up to 100+ which was very unusual in Northern California (at the time at least). Air conditioning was relatively uncommon and non-existent in my dad's house so he was making saltwater ice cubes and throwing them in, filling the fridge with saltwater and pouring it in, all to no avail. Shortly after that they got rid of the tank.

My advice: stick to freshwater unless you are really good at handling disappointment and have a lot of money to spend on fish. That being said I'll probably give in to the siren's song and try saltwater again someday...it's very seductive (currently have three freshwater tanks).

Good luck to you guys just starting out. It's an awesome hobby and fairly simple once you get the kinks worked out (you will kill some fish. It's unavoidable). Then you'll probably get addicted to making it bigger and more complicated and bigger and more complicated and on and on and on. Enjoy!
I got into salt water fish in college, I couldn't tell you why or how but it was s hit. .  I never had much, but I sunk every last dime I had into it.  You're dead on, tons of disappointment.   There was so much satisfaction when it was working.  I had an awesome set up.   It wasn't a big tank either, but I had tons of coral.  My set up survived 2 short moves.  Then I gradated and took a job across country.  I let the tank with my parents, about 6 weeks later they gave it to their interior decorator  :no:   Just gave it to them!  I was so mad.  Almost like a finding out my dog had been put down.  

That was 15 years ago and I think its about time to get back in it.  We just moved into a house we should have for a really long time.   Might have to butter up the wife on this venture.  

This ball appears to be rolling.  Have done a ton of catching up on the how-to of all this and been playing around with AQ sizes and capacity at AqAdisor.

Right now, leaning towards a 50 gallon community tank with what turns out to be almost all of the most popular fish going:

9 Cardinal Tetras
9 Harlequin Rasbora
9 Black Neon Tetras
9 Green Fire Tetras
5 Oto Cats
5 Julii Cory Cats
5 Kuhli Loaches
2 Longfin Guppies
2 Dwarf Gourami
2 Dwarf Cichlids

Basically a lot of mostly small fish in a big tank.

Also, the guy at Aquarium Co-op has ton a TON of really great videos if you want to really understand not just what to do but why.

The one on filtration was super helpful (and probably saved me like $100).

I don’t even use a filter anymore. Just the air compressor to make some  water movement. Tank is 90% live plants   40 gal breeder betta sorority tank

8 betta

4 corys

10-20 ghost shrimp  they keep breeding

2 Amano shrimp

Few nerite snails

3 Chinese algae eaters

if you’re buying new Cory’s try to get a variety. They will school regardless but it’s cool to see the different Cory’s together

Also , never get chinese algae eaters    They are great at cleaning the tank. The second the algae disappeared they go after other fish

In my experience, Cory cats don't show their natural behavior in a mixed group. They'll lay around together with other species but they won't go actively exploring the tank all day. 

Otos are great + they stay small
Yeah, I'd definitely endorse them although you'd need a LOT to make a difference in a big tank. I had a group of 10 in my 75 for a while (that slowly dwindled down to nothing over a few years) and I'm not sure they made a huge dent in the algae in my planted tank. (I still had to spend 10 minutes every week or 2 scraping brown algae off the glass and my slower growing plants still got some build up) Maybe I fed them too many algae wafers so they didn't have to work for it......

Cool little fish though. Fun to watch them dart around as a group.

Yeah, I'd definitely endorse them although you'd need a LOT to make a difference in a big tank. I had a group of 10 in my 75 for a while (that slowly dwindled down to nothing over a few years) and I'm not sure they made a huge dent in the algae in my planted tank. (I still had to spend 10 minutes every week or 2 scraping brown algae off the glass and my slower growing plants still got some build up) Maybe I fed them too many algae wafers so they didn't have to work for it......

Cool little fish though. Fun to watch them dart around as a group.
As a general rule, the so called cleaner fish like plecos, farlowellas, chinese algae eaters and otos don't really clean the tank. They may mow down line through a patch of algae, but they aren't going to tidy the place up like an aquatic butler. You're going to be scraping no matter what. An old credit card or one of those magnetic algae scrapers is the real key to keeping the tank clean. Oh, and regular water changes. Buy whatever algae eater you want based on how it looks and behaves. Of all the fish I've owned over the years (big predators, green terror tank, yellow lab/daffodil tank, Angel tank, African Peacock tank), plecos are my all time favorite fish. Green phantoms, blue phantoms, red tail sternellas , gold dot, albino bristle nose,  royal clown, royal farlowella, blue eyed, are all incredible and some not so hard to get (bristelnose) and some quite impossible (blue eyed). On a side note, I've owned every single one of those plecos at one time. 

So I'm taking the dive and just picked up a 40 gallon breeder at Petco for $42 out of pocket.  Have some rocks and a nice piece of driftwood as well.  Will be picking up the peripherals and getting this thing going over the next ~month or so.

Question for the folks in here...

I've done my homework on capacity, compatibility and the like, but can't decide if I'd rather have 3 bigger schools (12-13 each) or 4-5 smaller schools of maybe 8-10 in each.  

I've got at least a dozen contenders, but the current thinking for the mid/upper tank schooling fish is four schools of nine (Harlequin Rasbora, Galaxie Rasbora, Rummynose Rasbora and Kitty/Lowe's Tetras). 

Thoughts?  How many schools is too many in terms of how it looks?

Yep, my common pleco keeps getting bigger and bigger. If i don't clean that tank every 5-7 days, it gets messy. Didn't think i would get a 60 gallon tank for one fish. 

As I mentioned in another thread, the odd thing is she is best friends with our little kitty. We set up a bar stool next the tank and she comes out and sits there right with him and then swims back and forth. I think she believes he is a fish and our kitty doesn't know what she is . 

Otos are great + they stay small
Is there a shortage of these guys right now or something?

I haven't had any in my tank in years and decided a while back to get some again. But I've been checking our local PetSmart (unfortunately, the only pet store near me at the moment) for weeks now and they haven't gotten any in their weekly shipments in a long time. 

If you're in the Dallas or Chicago area, there's an annual even called "Aquashella" (play on Coachella obviously) that has everything you'll ever want to know about fish tanks.

If you're in the Dallas or Chicago area, there's an annual even called "Aquashella" (play on Coachella obviously) that has everything you'll ever want to know about fish tanks.
The Sunday speaker at this event has his own Youtube channel and is an incredible resource on just about any subject you want to dig into.  Google Aquarium-Coop + the subject you want to learn about and there's a great chance he's done a detailed vid on it.  Planning to buy some stuff from his online store to throw some $$ his way.

The Sunday speaker at this event has his own Youtube channel and is an incredible resource on just about any subject you want to dig into.  Google Aquarium-Coop + the subject you want to learn about and there's a great chance he's done a detailed vid on it.  Planning to buy some stuff from his online store to throw some $$ his way.
The Saturday guy - Joey Mullen - has a youtube channel with over 1mil subscribers ("KING OF DIY").  I watched a few of his vids when I was first getting into this.  He doesn't do any DIY as far as I can tell.  I looked into him a bit and learned the guy is highly controversial on the various aquarium websites.  I'm not entirely sure why, but people seem to really hate him for the most part.

So I'm taking the dive and just picked up a 40 gallon breeder at Petco for $42 out of pocket.  Have some rocks and a nice piece of driftwood as well.  Will be picking up the peripherals and getting this thing going over the next ~month or so.

Question for the folks in here...

I've done my homework on capacity, compatibility and the like, but can't decide if I'd rather have 3 bigger schools (12-13 each) or 4-5 smaller schools of maybe 8-10 in each.  

I've got at least a dozen contenders, but the current thinking for the mid/upper tank schooling fish is four schools of nine (Harlequin Rasbora, Galaxie Rasbora, Rummynose Rasbora and Kitty/Lowe's Tetras). 

Thoughts?  How many schools is too many in terms of how it looks?
You can't go wrong either way. 

The Saturday guy - Joey Mullen - has a youtube channel with over 1mil subscribers ("KING OF DIY").  I watched a few of his vids when I was first getting into this.  He doesn't do any DIY as far as I can tell.  I looked into him a bit and learned the guy is highly controversial on the various aquarium websites.  I'm not entirely sure why, but people seem to really hate him for the most part.
His whole channel used to be DIY projects. Then, a couple of years ago, he decided to turn his garage into the aquarium gallery.  But once he realized how much it all cost (somewhere near 6 figures I believe) he made a video crying on his channel and basically begging his followers to fund it....and they did....in like 2 days.

Other than the big 2,000 gallon tank and the 375 that he built a few years ago, everything in the gallery is donated high end equipment from sponsors. He's pretty knowledgeable about fish but all his tanks are pretty hideous (IMO) because he has absolutely no aquascaping ability. And he gets bored of his fish really quickly and is constantly bringing stuff back to his local store.

I think the reason some people HATE him is that he apparently stole some content from someone else a while back (maybe more than once) and then proceeded to block everyone who called him out on it.

He's just a really weird dude. He comes across as this happy-go-lucky Canadian but a few months back he posted this long rambling video detailing how he'd spend much of his childhood/early adult hood in jail because he was constantly getting in street fights because of what was apparently a pretty bad childhood. It was really odd.

Users who are viewing this thread