What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone else have the flu? (1 Viewer)

JAMES!

Footballguy
i can't remember ever being this sick. I actually cried a little about 20 minutes ago. My whole body hurts, chills, hacking cough, fever, chest congestion. I had a dr's appt beginning of december that I had to cancel and was rescheduled for next week. would do anthing to go back in time and get a flu shot. this is terrible. any tips? going to lay down. hit it with ibuprofen, some zinc, soup, water. other than going to the doctor for anti-virals (i think it may be too late anyway) any remedies? not too late to get your flu shot if you havent. oh

I had it in December. Thought I was actually dying. At the peak, I was home alone with cold towels on my head and neck trying to keep me cool while I hallucinated and had conversations with people who were not there. Like you said, my whole body hurt. It was the worst case of the flu I've ever had.

I had it in December. Thought I was actually dying. At the peak, I was home alone with cold towels on my head and neck trying to keep me cool while I hallucinated and had conversations with people who were not there. Like you said, my whole body hurt. It was the worst case of the flu I've ever had.
how long did it last and did you go to the dr?

I woke up on Monday morning and felt slightly sick to my stomach. By 10 am, I had the full blown flu. No symptoms prior to Monday morning. Monday was the worst day. I went back to work Thursday but was still feeling sick. I'd say by Friday night I was back to normal, although I spent that weekend pretty much sleeping the whole time trying to recover.

And I should add that I DID get the shot back in October. I didn't go to the doctor, mainly because I was so cold that I didn't want to leave the house and my 4 layers of comforters.

Hope you feel better soon. It was awful.

Felt like crap for 2 days, then started getting better. Symptoms went away after about 2 weeks, coughing being the longest. Did not go to the DR or miss a lick of work. Do you pansies need me to send you over some soup?

I got it the weekend before Christmas. Was one of 24 people in my county at the time to have been diagnosed. Strain A I believe. I am now just getting over it. Started with me shivering uncontollably one night. I had layers upon layers of clothing on, in bed under two warm blankets, and was still freezing. Fever went up to 105. Stayed between 101 and 103 most of the first week. Worst headache and overall body aches I ever had. Had to make a trip to the ER on New Years Eve. The original doc prescribed me 800mgs of Ibuprofen and gave me Tamiflu. He said the Tamiflu probably wouldn't work since I had had the flu for more than a couple days. He was right, didn't do anything. I'm getting over it now finally, but I am very fatigued and just want to sleep.

Just keep popping Ibuprofen/Tylenol to help with the fever, and to help with other stuff, try the liquid tylenol flu stuff. That stuff worked well for me. Just be careful with how much you take of each.

Good luck. These past couple weeks were horrible. Worst thing my body has ever gone through. I never really had much congestion. And my sore throat came a week later which was weird. Worst thing for me was the headache (worse than a migraine and I had it each and ever day. The ONLY thing that helped was Excedrine Migraine), and the fever/chills.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got it the weekend before Christmas. Was one of 24 people in my county at the time to have been diagnosed. Strain A I believe. I am now just getting over it. Started with me shivering uncontollably one night. I had layers upon layers of clothing on, in bed under two warm blankets, and was still freezing. Fever went up to 105. Stayed between 101 and 103 most of the first week. Worst headache and overall body aches I ever had. Had to make a trip to the ER on New Years Eve. The original doc prescribed me 800mgs of Ibuprofen and gave me Tamiflu. He said the Tamiflu probably wouldn't work since I had had the flu for more than a couple days. He was right, didn't do anything. I'm getting over it now finally, but I am very fatigued and just want to sleep.

Just keep popping Ibuprofen/Tylenol to help with the fever, and to help with other stuff, try the liquid tylenol flu stuff. That stuff worked well for me. Just be careful with how much you take of each.

Good luck. These past couple weeks were horrible. Worst thing my body has ever gone through. I never really had much congestion. And my sore throat came a week later which was weird. Worst thing for me was the headache (worse than a migraine and I had it each and ever day. The ONLY thing that helped was Excedring Migraine), and the fever/chills.
I will say that except for Monday, Tylenol Cold and Flu Severe worked wonders for me. In fact, it made me feel so good I went into work on Thursday and didn't take any because I thought I was better. I ended up leaving work at lunch because I felt like I was dying all over again. That stuff is the bomb.

Good luck. These past couple weeks were horrible. Worst thing my body has ever gone through. I never really had much congestion. And my sore throat came a week later which was weird. Worst thing for me was the headache (worse than a migraine and I had it each and ever day. The ONLY thing that helped was Excedring Migraine), and the fever/chills.
I will say that except for Monday, Tylenol Cold and Flu Severe worked wonders for me. In fact, it made me feel so good I went into work on Thursday and didn't take any because I thought I was better. I ended up leaving work at lunch because I felt like I was dying all over again. That stuff is the bomb.
I went to the doc the day after Christmas (on my way to work) and he told me it would be very stupid for me to go to work and that I need to go home and lay in bed until the following Monday. I did, and looking back, I don't know how I even drove to see him that day. He told me I should have gone in sooner. I probably should have. My first hint of being sick was the Sunday night prior. I called in sick Monday and was off Tues and Wed.

The Tylenol flu stuff with the warming action (whatever that means, it DID make me feel warm) is what I used and it did work very well. In small spurts.

Not as bad as what you describe but fighting a severe chest cold. Went to Dr. yesterday, got Rx for prednizone, antibiotics, cough syrup, and an inhaler. Also told to continue Mucinex.

Working hard to kill this thing. Flying out Friday to see Saints-Seahawks game Sat, my first ever NFL playoff game.

Oh and forget about any meaningful sleep for at least a week. With the aches and pains, its super hard to get and stay comfortable. The aches woke me up every night. I got 5 hours last night, and that was sweet. I averaged about 2 hours the first week and a half.

Also, no sex drive.

Those of you tough guys who go to work when you're sick, please use your sick days. So, you know, you don't get anyone sick.

I had never been tested for the flu. The original doctor tested me. Stuck this long thing up both nostrils. Wasn't very pleasant. He said the results will be in in about 15 minutes. 15 minutes later he comes back and said it was positive.

Those of you tough guys who go to work when you're sick, please use your sick days. So, you know, you don't get anyone sick.
We don't get sick days. We have to use our vacation time as sick days too and I ain't sacrificing beach time anytime soon.

We don't get sick days. We have to use our vacation time as sick days too and I ain't sacrificing beach time anytime soon.
It's people like you who probably got me sick in the first place, causing me to miss seeing my family on Christmas and having to watch the ball drop on New Years Eve in a hospital ER. So to you, I say #### you.

It's people like you who probably got me sick in the first place, causing me to miss seeing my family on Christmas and having to watch the ball drop on New Years Eve in a hospital ER. So to you, I say #### you.
Its pretty easy for me to stay in my office when sick and do my job without interacting close to anyone. So #### you for making false presumptions about my situation.

Got the shot in 2009 for the first time. Have had the shot every year since then. Never had the flu since starting with the shot.

Its pretty easy for me to stay in my office when sick and do my job without interacting close to anyone. So #### you for making false presumptions about my situation.
You don't have to interact with anyone. All you need to do is sneeze/cough or touch something that someone else will touch. It's a very selfish thing to do, knowingly putting yourself into a situation that can sicken others. But hey, enjoy the beach!

You don't have to interact with anyone. All you need to do is sneeze/cough or touch something that someone else will touch. It's a very selfish thing to do, knowingly putting yourself into a situation that can sicken others. But hey, enjoy the beach!
Cheers man. next mai tai's on me.

I bet you two don't even work together.

Hell yes I did. Was the worst few days of my life. Makes me queezy just hearing the word. :X Ain't a damp thing you can do to make it better. Has to run its course. They gave me Tamiflu but that was a waste. If it actually helped, I'd have been dead without it. Sucks

If you had the real "Flu", you wouldn't be at work even if you wanted to be. "Beach time" would be the last thing on your mind.

Hell yes I did. Was the worst few days of my life. Makes me queezy just hearing the word. :X Ain't a damp thing you can do to make it better. Has to run its course. They gave me Tamiflu but that was a waste. If it actually helped, I'd have been dead without it. Sucks
queezy? Thats not a flu symptom

Sounds exactly like what I had. Was so thirsty but I wouldn't even reach to the table to get a drink.

Good luck. These past couple weeks were horrible. Worst thing my body has ever gone through. I never really had much congestion. And my sore throat came a week later which was weird. Worst thing for me was the headache (worse than a migraine and I had it each and ever day. The ONLY thing that helped was Excedrine Migraine), and the fever/chills.
yep

Thinking about it makes me queasy.
haha ok just making sure youre not one of those people who has a stomach virus and thinks its the flu

Thinking about it makes me queasy.
haha ok just making sure youre not one of those people who has a stomach virus and thinks its the flu
I giggle at those people now. They aren't even close to the same thing. In a matter of hours, I was like "holy ####, what's happening to me?"

I haven't had it in over 5 years but the last time was horrible. It was easy to imagine how an old person could die from it.

Never had a flu shot.

I've had the flu for the last 10 days. It has been the sickest that I can ever recall being from flu symptoms. Shortly after midnight on NYE, I broke into a fever with cold sweats and uncontrollable shivering. It was a struggle to do anything over the next few days. I've been drinking cough medicine like a Robotrippin' teenager. As somone else said, I think that Tylenol Severe Cold and Flu worked better than anything else. I've been feeling a bit better over the past few days, but I still have an awful sounding cough. I won't miss the flu shot next year.

I just farted and it hurt. I winced in pain then started coughing.

No appetite either. I haven't eaten much in 3 days. Tried to get down some cereal this morning and just didn't want it. haven't showered since monday either. Don't think i can do it. wrapped in a blanket shivering.

No appetite either. I haven't eaten much in 3 days. Tried to get down some cereal this morning and just didn't want it. haven't showered since monday either. Don't think i can do it. wrapped in a blanket shivering.
Hah. That sounds exactly like me at the end of last week. The upside is that this flu is a great way to kickstart a 2014 diet. I'm currently at my lowest weight since college, in large part due to this flu. I hope you are feeling better soon. I keep thinking to myself that I will be better by tomorrow, but this lingering cough is a real #####.

Hah. That sounds exactly like me at the end of last week. The upside is that this flu is a great way to kickstart a 2014 diet. I'm currently at my lowest weight since college, in large part due to this flu. I hope you are feeling better soon. I keep thinking to myself that I will be better by tomorrow, but this lingering cough is a real #####.
ooh nice. that's a good idea. turn a negative into a positive. come to think of it i am feeling thin. the cough sounds like an 70 year old smoker cough.

took a nap for a few hours, woke up to hunger, not eating catching up. have some soup on. have nothing else in the house really except peanuts and cereal. going to have to shower and go to the store tomorrow. no choice really

My buddy has it and I heard a bunch of parents at the per school talking about family members having it today. The scary part is that my buddy went to two separate CVS stores tonight and both HAD RUN OUT OF TAMAFLU! Luckily he scored some at a third pharmacy but WTF! Scary.

My buddy has it and I heard a bunch of parents at the per school talking about family members having it today. The scary part is that my buddy went to two separate CVS stores tonight and both HAD RUN OUT OF TAMAFLU! Luckily he scored some at a third pharmacy but WTF! Scary.
Don't leave your house.

The first 3 days were the worst. I started slowly started getting better after that. I still didn't eat much for over a week. Took me over 2 weeks to get back to normal.

the shot is overrated. only time I had the shot was in elementary school. caught the flu maybe a handful of times in my 30 years. its all about keeping your hands clean and not touching your face (eyes etc)

I bet most of you touch the door knob when exiting the bathroom..

step up your game

Not me luckily but the wife had it just before Thanksgiving. Said it was the worst flu she's ever had. Called it the Death Flu. Find out last week that it was H1N1. Sound just like what some of you have/had.

Oh, and she got a flu shot too.

If you had the real "Flu", you wouldn't be at work even if you wanted to be. "Beach time" would be the last thing on your mind.
:goodposting:

People who claim to have had the flu and worked through it are full of poopie. MJ, included. If I would have tried to drive that day, I think I would have died.

:goodposting:

People who claim to have had the flu and worked through it are full of poopie. MJ, included. If I would have tried to drive that day, I think I would have died.
Exactly.

If you can walk around and think straight, you don't have it.

Not me luckily but the wife had it just before Thanksgiving. Said it was the worst flu she's ever had. Called it the Death Flu. Find out last week that it was H1N1. Sound just like what some of you have/had.

I think the flu shot is only good for shortening the duration of the illness. its not to totally prevent catching it

I think the flu shot is only good for shortening the duration of the illness. its not to totally prevent catching it
could be both

Yeah, upon hearing that I had the flu, some idiot co-workers were telling me about their "flu experience" One guy said he had it nasty, real nasty. He said he had stomach pains and had it a whole day. I just looked at him. The one lady said she had a horribly stuffy nose and cough that lasted for a few days. I just kinda looked at her with an odd face too.

People just don't know what the flu really is until they have it. You literally can't do anything. You can try, but it ain't happening.

Users who are viewing this thread