What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone else have the flu? (1 Viewer)

Last night around 11 not sure if I was asleep or almost asleep or just zoned out but had a moment where it was almost like i wrong piped a drink and suddenly couldn't breath. sat up in bed and did that thing where you're coughing and trying to suck in air between coughs. it was awful! my throat felt swollen shut. On the plus side the coughing was non stop, deep and lasted about 15 minutes. I coughed up some serious stuff. when it was over I felt some relief from the chest congestion.

Up this morning, still coughing and feverish but not as achy and chills don't seem as intense. Hopefully turning the corner. Going to shower. :thumbup:

Last night around 11 not sure if I was asleep or almost asleep or just zoned out but had a moment where it was almost like i wrong piped a drink and suddenly couldn't breath. sat up in bed and did that thing where you're coughing and trying to suck in air between coughs. it was awful! my throat felt swollen shut. On the plus side the coughing was non stop, deep and lasted about 15 minutes. I coughed up some serious stuff. when it was over I felt some relief from the chest congestion.

Up this morning, still coughing and feverish but not as achy and chills don't seem as intense. Hopefully turning the corner. Going to shower. :thumbup:
Nice. I do remember coughing at one point and thinking "Just kill me", because each time I coughed, my entire body felt like it was being smashed by an 18 wheeler.

Nice. I do remember coughing at one point and thinking "Just kill me", because each time I coughed, my entire body felt like it was being smashed by an 18 wheeler.
Yep. You have no choice but to cough but you know the act of coughing isn't going to be pleasant. It's a crazy, loud cough but in some way it's tempered because if you just let it go you won't be able to handle it.

Yeah, upon hearing that I had the flu, some idiot co-workers were telling me about their "flu experience" One guy said he had it nasty, real nasty. He said he had stomach pains and had it a whole day. I just looked at him. The one lady said she had a horribly stuffy nose and cough that lasted for a few days. I just kinda looked at her with an odd face too.

People just don't know what the flu really is until they have it. You literally can't do anything. You can try, but it ain't happening.
:goodposting:

I may have had the flu as a kid (almost a week straight of vomit, spins, sweats, etc). These other people...they have a poor Taco Bell experience or other light food poisoning at worst.

My cough was more dry than anything. After two and a half weeks, I still have a bad cough. A little congestion, but not enough to cough stuff up. When looking at symptoms, it appears it can in fact be either/or regarding congestion in lungs.

Be careful that this doesn't turn to bronchitis or even pneumonia. You might start feeling you're getting over it because much of your other symptoms are dissipating, but if that congestion is still there, go to the doctor. The flu CAN and DOES turn into other things.

Last edited by a moderator:
My cough was more dry than anything. After two and a half weeks, I still have a bad cough. A little congestion, but not enough to cough stuff up. Whne looking at symptoms, it appears it can in fact be either/or regarding congestion in lungs.

Be careful that this doesn't turn to bronchitis or even pneumonia. You might start feeling you're getting over it because much of your other symptoms are dissipating, but if that congestion is still there, go to the doctor. The flu CAN and DOES turn into other things.
Thanks. Yeah, for sure chest congestion here. I can feel and hear it when I breath in and/or cough. Going to really take it easy until Monday and then reassess. If something isn't right i'll head to the doctor.

My cough was more dry than anything. After two and a half weeks, I still have a bad cough. A little congestion, but not enough to cough stuff up. Whne looking at symptoms, it appears it can in fact be either/or regarding congestion in lungs.

Thanks. Yeah, for sure chest congestion here. I can feel and hear it when I breath in and/or cough. Going to really take it easy until Monday and then reassess. If something isn't right i'll head to the doctor.
Don't wait that long, you should go now. Or take something like Mucinex to help clear your lungs. Honestly, do not mess with this.

Yep. You have no choice but to cough but you know the act of coughing isn't going to be pleasant. It's a crazy, loud cough but in some way it's tempered because if you just let it go you won't be able to handle it.
Never imagined coughing would make my body hurt. It felt like somebody was hitting me with a bat. Sucked

Don't wait that long, you should go now. Or take something like Mucinex to help clear your lungs. Honestly, do not mess with this.
isn't Mucinex just something that treats the symptoms? I was told once flu is in motion there's not much they can do. Ordered to rest, drink fluids, etc.

Never imagined coughing would make my body hurt. It felt like somebody was hitting me with a bat. Sucked
yep. hurt to move and there's a lot of intense movement during a coughing attack. I did get a little relief from the ibuprofen it seemed. knocked the fever down a bit but that stuff made me sweat all night. woke up and it was like someone drenched my sheets in cold water

yep. hurt to move and there's a lot of intense movement during a coughing attack. I did get a little relief from the ibuprofen it seemed. knocked the fever down a bit but that stuff made me sweat all night. woke up and it was like someone drenched my sheets in cold water
Yeah, I was the same. I was dripping with sweat from everywhere, then a minute later I was freezing.

isn't Mucinex just something that treats the symptoms? I was told once flu is in motion there's not much they can do. Ordered to rest, drink fluids, etc.
Mucinex will help clear your lungs. You need to get that stuff out of there.

Yeah. I think people are confused by their stupid commercials. I know I was. When the doctor told me to take it, I thought it was like taking Air-Borne or something silly like that. Apparently, that stuff is really good for clearing your lungs out.

Yeah. I think people are confused by their stupid commercials. I know I was. When the doctor told me to take it, I thought it was like taking Air-Borne or something silly like that. Apparently, that stuff is really good for clearing your lungs out.
I can't believe I didn't get bad congestion with this flu because every year I have to deal with acute bronchitis, so I know my lungs aren't the strongest due to many bouts with it over my life. I had every other symptom but this. Every time I have bronchitis though, I carry the Mucinex with me everywhere. It's great stuff. Kind of pricey, but well worth it.

I can't believe I didn't get bad congestion with this flu because every year I have to deal with acute bronchitis, so I know my lungs aren't the strongest due to many bouts with it over my life. I had every other symptom but this. Every time I have bronchitis though, I carry the Mucinex with me everywhere. It's great stuff. Kind of pricey, but well worth it.
I didn't either. I was referring to an earlier time when I had a bad cold and she told me to take that stuff. My cough was just a normal cough that you'd expect from an illness, but nothing crazy. The fever, the aches and the head pounding were the big 3 of my flu.

After hearing everyone say that had it for 10 days, I feel lucky mine was done after 5 days. It was a horrible 5 days and I really don't remember much about 2 of them, but I guess that's better than almost 2 weeks of being sick.

I'm told it will only treat the symptoms but not treat the cause of the symptoms or aid in any way in recovery other than to make me more comfortable. "take it if you feel you need it" she says. This coming from nurse in dr's office.

Yeah, Mucinex is good anytime. Cold or flu. My mother used to take it almost every day (per the doctor) because her lungs were always congested.

The first night my symptoms came was the night of December 22nd. Shivering like I have never shivered before. Was diagnosed the day after Christmas (wish I would have gone earlier). Pretty much over it now as the main symptoms subsided a couple days ago, but now my body is still fatigued and I still have a dry cough/sore throat. Will probably be another week before I'm back to normal. So it took a good 2 1/2 weeks for me, and another week or so to get back to normal. And whats odd, is that since I haven't been very congested, I am still winded after I climb stairs. Get all dizzy and out of breath. #### the flu.

I'm told it will only treat the symptoms but not treat the cause of the symptoms or aid in any way in recovery other than to make me more comfortable. "take it if you feel you need it" she says. This coming from nurse in dr's office.
The more of that you are able to get out of your lungs, the better. Do you wanna drown in your own mucus?

Mucinex will loosen it up and you will cough more out. If it's doesn't loosen up, thats when you'll run into trouble. So yeah, Mucinex does treat the symptom, but that symptom it treats is especailly important.

Mr R and I have been sick with this all week. And it may not be a cold or the flu. It totally sucks. Every time I think I might be getting better, a couple of hours later I'm back in bed. Mr R's boss sent him home yesterday when he almost ran her down running for the bathroom to be ill.

A lot of meds are like this. That Tylenol Cold & Flu Severe doesn't cure anything, but it is the greatest thing you'll ever take when you have the flu, just because it does treat the symptoms.

the shot is overrated. only time I had the shot was in elementary school. caught the flu maybe a handful of times in my 30 years. its all about keeping your hands clean and not touching your face (eyes etc)

I bet most of you touch the door knob when exiting the bathroom..

step up your game
Elementary school? You do realise that technology marches on, right? The shots are much more sophisticated now.

I thought I had the flu last month (105 degree temp, migrane headache, extreme muscle pain) but whatever it was, it pales in comparison to what my coworker has been going through in the past couple of days (i.e., hourly vomiting).

I thought I had the flu last month (105 degree temp, migrane headache, extreme muscle pain) but whatever it was, it pales in comparison to what my coworker has been going through in the past couple of days (i.e., hourly vomiting).
You had all the symptoms. To "have" the flu, you don't have to have all the symptoms. I didn't have much congestion, no vomiting, but I did have everything else. To truly "know" if you have the flu, the doc has to do a flu test on you.

A lot of meds are like this. That Tylenol Cold & Flu Severe doesn't cure anything, but it is the greatest thing you'll ever take when you have the flu, just because it does treat the symptoms.
I think he was saying though that by taking Mucinex you can prevent the flu from turning into something else. i could be wrong, i'm still kind of out of it.

I think he was saying though that by taking Mucinex you can prevent the flu from turning into something else. i could be wrong, i'm still kind of out of it.
mucinex will help clear you out, but if you have a infection you need antibiotics to make it go away, sinus infection etc which can lead to bronchitis

mucinex will help clear you out, but if you have a infection you need antibiotics to make it go away, sinus infection etc which can lead to bronchitis
Exactly. But the less crap you have in your lungs, the better (much better) off you'll be. Recovery time will be much much less.

You had all the symptoms. To "have" the flu, you don't have to have all the symptoms. I didn't have much congestion, no vomiting, but I did have everything else. To truly "know" if you have the flu, the doc has to do a flu test on you.
I never went to the doctor. I loaded up on Tylenol and Theraflu and got the fever down to a manageable 101 and rode it out for the next 3 days, after which I was well enough to go back to work.

Exactly. But the less crap you have in your lungs, the better (much better) off you'll be. Recovery time will be much much less.
yep., im fighting a sinus infection now using antibiotics and mucinex to help get rid of the junk. its all about comfort and being able to sleep for me

Ah. I gotcha now.

I never went to the doctor. I loaded up on Tylenol and Theraflu and got the fever down to a manageable 101 and rode it out for the next 3 days, after which I was well enough to go back to work.
Sounds like you had it. The fever and body/head aches are dead giveaways. I would have killed for a three day flu instead of 2 1/2 weeks.

Did you have the chills/sweats?

Man, if I would have had serious congestion and stuffy nose to go along with the symptoms I had, I think I might have killed myself.

And whats up with the dry cough? I'm still coughing like crazy, but nothing comes up? Why the #### am I coughing?

Sounds like you had it. The fever and body/head aches are dead giveaways. I would have killed for a three day flu instead of 2 1/2 weeks.

Started out as chills and sweats on a Thursday night. Managed to make it through work on Friday although I have no memory of driving to or from work that day. I thought it was just food poisoning until the fever hit 105 on Saturday morning and my muscles hurt so much that I could not move without feeling extreme pain. Didn't have much congestion or nausea -- it was chills, fever, headache, muscle ache, and a sore throat. Also several trips to the restroom.

The fever finally broke on Monday and I was fine by the end of the week. I consider myself lucky compared to some of the horror stories I've heard.

The headache seems to be most intense in the back of the head above the spine. Have no legs either. If I had to run to first base don't think i would make it.

The headache seems to be most intense in the back of the head above the spine. Have no legs either. If I had to run to first base don't think i would make it.
James, that is exactly where my headaches were, and they were debillitating. Horrible. However, my saving grace was Excedrine Migraine over the counter. Do yourself a favor and go get some asap. You will be amazed. Two last for about 20 hours. As soon as you feel the headache coming on, take two of these. Just trust me.

Started out as chills and sweats on a Thursday night. Managed to make it through work on Friday although I have no memory of driving to or from work that day. I thought it was just food poisoning until the fever hit 105 on Saturday morning and my muscles hurt so much that I could not move without feeling extreme pain.Didn't have much congestion or nausea -- it was chills, fever, headache, muscle ache, and a sore throat. Also several trips to the restroom.

The fever finally broke on Monday and I was fine by the end of the week. I consider myself lucky compared to some of the horror stories I've heard.
Yeah, you definitely had it.

James, that is exactly where my headaches were, and they were debillitating. Horrible. However, my saving grace was Excedrine Migraine over the counter. Do yourself a favor and go get some asap. You will be amazed. Two last for about 20 hours. As soon as you feel the headache coming on, take two of these. Just trust me.
Thanks. great . i'll pick some up. (or have some dropped off)

The Flu has/is hitting a number of my coworkers and I am just hoping that somehow I don't come down with it. 2 were confirmed H1N1 and the other 4 were another strain. At first I was not seeing the downside of missing 7-9 days of work but then to hear the stories of days on end of expolsions of fluid from two holes and trips to the ER for iv's, well needless to say I'm washing my hands every other minute. The funny thing is that flu shots have been mandatory for us in the military for years and highly effective until the current strains have been infecting people.

I don't know what my temperature was but I'm guessing it was near the 104 to 105 mark. I've never felt like I was burning up so much. I would wet a washcloth (and not like how I used to each night before bed) with cold water and put it on my neck and forehead. Within 20 minutes, the towel would be hot water and starting to dry.

For some odd reason, we don't own a thermometer. I had one from my childhood that was an old school mercury thermometer. It was awesome. And then I broke it by accident while moving up north. When I was laying in bed talking to the imaginary people in my room, my GF texted me and asked if I needed anything. I texted back "A thermometer". When she got home I asked for it and she said, "I thought you were joking. Who the hell owns a thermometer nowadays?" I still have no idea what that means. Doesn't everyone have one? I told her I thought I was dying and may need to go to the hospital. She told me to quit being a wuss and suck it up.

I love my GF and she's better to me than any woman could ever be to a man, but she is not very good at dealing with me when I'm sick. The next day she asked if I was "just going to lay around all day." I told her I was sick, but unfortunately I didn't have a thermometer to prove my argument.

In her defense, she is a two time cancer survivor, so I feel slightly bad complaining about any of my ailments.

When I finally recovered, the first thing I did was go out and buy a thermometer. One of those new fangled electric ones. I miss my mercury and glass one. :(

I don't know what my temperature was but I'm guessing it was near the 104 to 105 mark. I've never felt like I was burning up so much. I would wet a washcloth (and not like how I used to each night before bed) with cold water and put it on my neck and forehead. Within 20 minutes, the towel would be hot water and starting to dry.

For some odd reason, we don't own a thermometer. I had one from my childhood that was an old school mercury thermometer. It was awesome. And then I broke it by accident while moving up north. When I was laying in bed talking to the imaginary people in my room, my GF texted me and asked if I needed anything. I texted back "A thermometer". When she got home I asked for it and she said, "I thought you were joking. Who the hell owns a thermometer nowadays?" I still have no idea what that means. Doesn't everyone have one? I told her I thought I was dying and may need to go to the hospital. She told me to quit being a wuss and suck it up.

I love my GF and she's better to me than any woman could ever be to a man, but she is not very good at dealing with me when I'm sick. The next day she asked if I was "just going to lay around all day." I told her I was sick, but unfortunately I didn't have a thermometer to prove my argument.

In her defense, she is a two time cancer survivor, so I feel slightly bad complaining about any of my ailments.

When I finally recovered, the first thing I did was go out and buy a thermometer. One of those new fangled electric ones. I miss my mercury and glass one. :(
don't stick that electric one in your butt. it's not meant to be used that way. I don't have a thermometer either but when you have a crazy fever you just know. can't stand when you go from burning up fever mode into chills mode in a few seconds. last night I was bundled up in comforters and blankets shivering and then the next minute I'm throwing them off me and considering a quick blast of ac.

Users who are viewing this thread