What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Are you for or against taking in Syrian refugees? (3 Viewers)

Are you for/against taking in refugees?

• For

Votes: 247 52.0%
  • Against

Votes: 228 48.0%

• Total voters
My faith is restored (somewhat) in humanity as "For" is winning here. Shows once again that the user base here is at least slightly more intelligent than the rest of the nation.
Intelligent? Compassionate at best, but reckless is most accurate.
Because there is a precedent of refugees from war-torn countries committing terrorist acts in the US?
To be fair, with RBM, it probably begins and ends with the color of their skin.
You don't like his argument so you presume he is racist. Pitiful.
There are quite a few on here that use that as their go to move when you don't agree with them. They are the tolerant ones

How about we airdrop our career criminals into Syria on a 1-1 exchange. We attach $1000 cash to their bodies. If they can make it out of Syria alive, the $ is theirs. Therefore we rid our country of losers swapping them for refugees and it doesn't cost us any more that it would to house our losers at life.
Good reality show.

Let them come over. The price should be... all able body males of military age are mandated to join the military and the fight to put down those who ran them off. Why should our boys go do it for them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let them come over. The price should be... all able body males of military age are mandated to join the military and the fight to put down those who ran them off. Why should are boys go do it for them.
This has been done to us in the past and we didn't appreciate it. Be in poor form to attempt to do this now.

taken from your link

A student group started protesting earlier this semester, after a group of white people allegedly yelled racial slurs at a student body leader and a stastika was drawn in feces in a campus bathroom. Above, some Missouri protesters assembled on the school's quad on November 9
I'd be pissed too, if I knew what it was.
It is the contraction of Stool and Swastika the stastika. It is a actual or representation of the Nazi party symbol rendered in human or animal stool.

You're welcome.

I like the stories about you guys helping out the homeless and the hungry. It puts a face to it for you and shows that you really see the problem.

I've seen the problem of war in one's homeland. I've seen firsthand the homes in Bosnia. Whitewashed homes like you see in many Mediterranean lands.

Empty homes with no windows and bullet holes in all the exterior walls. Plastic covering the empty spaces where doors and windows belong. Empty because soldiers knocked on the doors one day and demanded that the males between 14 and 65 followed the soldiers to a spot in the woods.

Homes without roofs because of the fires or the mortars that were dropped onto their homes because they were Christians. Or Muslims.

Those homes will always stick with me, much like the hungry homeless person or the appreciative vet sticks with you. (Thank you for your concern for our vets. They deserve so much more than they're getting now.) Once you've seen the face, it's tough to turn a blind eye.

taken from your link

A student group started protesting earlier this semester, after a group of white people allegedly yelled racial slurs at a student body leader and a stastika was drawn in feces in a campus bathroom. Above, some Missouri protesters assembled on the school's quad on November 9
I'd be pissed too, if I knew what it was.
It is the contraction of Stool and Swastika the stastika. It is a actual or representation of the Nazi party symbol rendered in human or animal stool.

You're welcome.
:pissed:

If they bring 10,000 Syrian refugees to Nebraska and put them all in one place it would be the 17th largest "city" in Nebraska. Hell, the 3rd largest city in Nebraska is 54K.
There are 16 cities in Nebraska?
Technically there are only two mid-sized cities in Nebraska (Omaha and Lincoln), but with a sparsely populated state they count any place that has a street sign and at least one functioning traffic light as a city.

If they can make the swim to our shores, then by all means. Otherwise, not our problem. We have enough domestic issues that should be a priority.

TobiasFunke said:
NetnautX said:
Seems logistically problematic. Let Europe take care of their neighbors. We take in enough refugees as is from Mexico and Central America.
Huh? Mexican refugees?

And we're not taking in enough refugees from Central America- in fact we're fighting to keep them out.

We suck at this. We should do better across the board. Welcoming others and providing a safe haven and opportunity is a fundamental principle of our nation- perhaps the fundamental principle. It's what made us great.
1000X this

I understand the discomfort and fear, but we can't pretend to be who we are if we are unwilling to take in some of these refugees.

I think we should take the Syrian refugees in after an intestive vetting process. My grandparents on my father's side came from a totalitarian, communist country. Their descendants have yet to wage a terrorist attack against the United States. :shrug:

Welcome to the same current hired vetting process that gave you Obamacare & doubled the debt. I see your point and agree but that was ages ago. This thing is different. IMO

Just finished watching Frontline about Isis in Afghanistan. They interviewed a guy who had some kids, a cow and a goat. He was fed up and terrified. He just wants to raise his kids in peace, and these maniacs are lining people up and executing them with explosives on the hillside right near his house. I'd like that guy and his kids to have someplace safe to live. I would suspect most of the Syrian refugees are similar, simple people who don't want to hurt anyone. If we have the ability to help them, I think we should, as should all other peace-loving nations on earth. Of course most of them won't.

It's easy to hear "Syrian" and think they're some strange alien life form, but the truth is most people on earth don't mean anyone any harm and just want a good life for themselves and their families.

Just finished watching Frontline about Isis in Afghanistan. They interviewed a guy who had some kids, a cow and a goat. He was fed up and terrified. He just wants to raise his kids in peace, and these maniacs are lining people up and executing them with explosives on the hillside right near his house. I'd like that guy and his kids to have someplace safe to live. I would suspect most of the Syrian refugees are similar, simple people who don't want to hurt anyone. If we have the ability to help them, I think we should, as should all other peace-loving nations on earth. Of course most of them won't.

It's easy to hear "Syrian" and think they're some strange alien life form, but the truth is most people on earth don't mean anyone any harm and just want a good life for themselves and their families.
Of course they do. Doesn't change the fact that all this crap that's going on is radical Islam-Muslim-whatever. IMO -Muslims-handle it. If you have a bad rep by a few, just handle it. They won't. A few will if paid. perfect.

Of course they do. Doesn't change the fact that all this crap that's going on is radical Islam-Muslim-whatever. IMO -Muslims-handle it. If you have a bad rep by a few, just handle it. They won't. A few will if paid. perfect.
So what if the Muslims won't handle it?

Agreed, I would like to see other countries step up and help. Seems like we're always the ones footing the bill to be everyone's cop, babysitter, lifeguard, food pantry, etc. It's not selfish to be concerned about that when we're drowning in debt.

A planned "moment of silence" for victims of the Paris massacre was suddenly interrupted by loud boos and apparent cries of "Allahu Akbar" ("God is great") from soccer fans at a stadium in Turkey Tuesday.

Refugee resettlement process leaves Syrian Christians in the cold

Christian Lives Matter, except to Obama.

Whether we let them in or not, they shouldn't be allowed to buy guns once they get here if they're on the terror watch list. Who the hell thinks its a good idea to block this bill? I mean, unless the NRA is paying you off.

NRA, Republicans block proposed law to stop suspected terrorists from buying guns in U.S.

“Anything which they feel restricts the use or the ability to retain a gun they’re opposed to,” bill co-sponsor Rep. Pete King (R-L.I.) told the Daily News.

Whether we let them in or not, they shouldn't be allowed to buy guns once they get here if they're on the terror watch list. Who the hell thinks its a good idea to block this bill? I mean, unless the NRA is paying you off.

NRA, Republicans block proposed law to stop suspected terrorists from buying guns in U.S.

Anything which they feel restricts the use or the ability to retain a gun theyre opposed to, bill co-sponsor Rep. Pete King (R-L.I.) told the Daily News.
If they are US citizens the government should have to make a case as to why each individual should be barred from owning a gun.

Whether we let them in or not, they shouldn't be allowed to buy guns once they get here if they're on the terror watch list. Who the hell thinks its a good idea to block this bill? I mean, unless the NRA is paying you off. NRA, Republicans block proposed law to stop suspected terrorists from buying guns in U.S.“Anything which they feel restricts the use or the ability to retain a gun they’re opposed to,” bill co-sponsor Rep. Pete King (R-L.I.) told the Daily News.
Terrorists are capable of obtaining automatic weapons. The "law" is moot. Are AK-47s legal in France? Nope.

Wasn't that always known? One of them snuck in as a refugee, but wasn't a refugee. He did it to avoid detection when coming back from Syria.
I still don't know how one identifies a refugee? Do they have special hats, or t-shirts?
They can't. There is little to no vetting process as they come through Turkey and Greece. Way too many. Greece doesn't have the resources to hold them up. They all get refugee papers though.

Anything which they feel restricts the use or the ability to retain a gun theyre opposed to, bill co-sponsor Rep. Pete King (R-L.I.) told the Daily News.
If they are US citizens the government should have to make a case as to why each individual should be barred from owning a gun.
From the link: "Currently, some known or suspected terrorists are prohibited from boarding airplanes by the government’s no-fly list — but all are allowed to buy assault rifles and other weapons."

Being a known or suspected terrorist should be a pretty good reason.

Wasn't that always known? One of them snuck in as a refugee, but wasn't a refugee. He did it to avoid detection when coming back from Syria.
I still don't know how one identifies a refugee? Do they have special hats, or t-shirts?
I see your sacrasim & well founded. Just these times right now are a little different in that most of the attacks on innocent people are by Muslims. All in the name of religion. That is the part that scares me.

From the link: "Currently, some known or suspected terrorists are prohibited from boarding airplanes by the governments no-fly list but all are allowed to buy assault rifles and other weapons."Being a known or suspected terrorist should be a pretty good reason.
If they are a known terrorist they should be arrested and prosecuted. A suspect is a suspect. They deserve due process. Being put on a secret list doesn't count.

Where do I sign up as a potential house for a refugee family to stay?
Don't worry, nobody is keeping score on who is the most compassionate.
Other than Muslims who might be recruited to join ISIS and are less likely do so so if they see acts of compassion by the West, you mean.
Bull#### claim that you have no idea if it's true or not.
Really? It's well-documented by virtually every expert (and by ISIS itself) that ISIS wants to bring about a holy war by casting the West as enemies of Islam. Anyone with a shred of common sense can deduce that admitting Muslim refugees makes it far more difficult to be cast as an enemy of Islam. Seems pretty ####ing obvious to me.
Unless you are not Muslim.

They can't. There is little to no vetting process as they come through Turkey and Greece. Way too many. Greece doesn't have the resources to hold them up.
What is the vetting process for those coming to the US?

They can't. There is little to no vetting process as they come through Turkey and Greece. Way too many. Greece doesn't have the resources to hold them up.
What is the vetting process for those coming to the US?
It was discussed earlier I believe.

Eminence is a racist. GrandpaRox is a racist.

I don't believe RBM is s racist; I've seen no evidence of it. Very very few people who posts here are actually racist. RBM is a good guy.
What is your malfunction? It's been well established that I have many black friends.

I mean, I think you're a know-it-all who knows little but you don't see me calling you an imbecile to everyone.
Except you just did. :hophead:

Wasn't that always known? One of them snuck in as a refugee, but wasn't a refugee. Syrian fighters can move back into the EU undetected that way.
8 held EU passports and it is not known how the 9th entered France. You and others are making an assumption that he posed as a refugee. Why are you making that assumption?

Why isn't there a thread on keeping EU passport holders from obtaining US tourist visas?

Welcome to the same current hired vetting process that gave you Obamacare & doubled the debt. I see your point and agree but that was ages ago. This thing is different. IMO
Is your post a reply to mine?
yes
OK.Doubling the debt and "Obamacare" is an internal, political discussion. What does that have to do with national security?
not much if anything.

Wasn't that always known? One of them snuck in as a refugee, but wasn't a refugee. Syrian fighters can move back into the EU undetected that way.
8 held EU passports and it is not known how the 9th entered France. You and others are making an assumption that he posed as a refugee. Why are you making that assumption?Why isn't there a thread on keeping EU passport holders from obtaining US tourist visas?
Because someone using the passport he had registered as a Syrian refugee and passed through Greece.

Weren't these guys all on terrorist watch lists? How would they get a US visa with their EU passport?

Is your post a reply to mine?
yes
OK.Doubling the debt and "Obamacare" is an internal, political discussion. What does that have to do with national security?
not much if anything.
Yep, not much.

8 held EU passports and it is not known how the 9th entered France. You and others are making an assumption that he posed as a refugee. Why are you making that assumption?Why isn't there a thread on keeping EU passport holders from obtaining US tourist visas?
Because someone using the passport he had registered as a Syrian refugee and passed through Greece.

Weren't these guys all on terrorist watch lists? How would they get a US visa with their EU passport?
Apparently one of the eight was not on a watch list. I don't know if presence on a EU watch list prevents a person from entering the US. I hope so, but I don't know.

Someone using that passport coming through the checkpoint only means the passport went through the checkpoint. The article says French police indicate the passport may have been stolen and planted at the scene. It may or may not be true, I haven't seen any official word.

Users who are viewing this thread