What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Baseball Wagering (1 Viewer)

Made a big, stupid bet.

O9.5 Tex/oak to make 8 units

Yeah, bet too big, but here's the deal. Oakland is running Loaiza out there. Texas has some guy I've never heard of. I think both teams are putting 5-6 runs up tonight. The only reason the o/u isn't about 12 is that the game's in Oakland. Well, I don't care. I'm sending it in, and sending it in big. Football season is almost here, and I've had a fine baseball season. Okay, actually WC soccer pulled me through baseball season, but that's okay. Let's go RUNS!

g'luck

Made a big, stupid bet.O9.5 Tex/oak to make 8 unitsYeah, bet too big, but here's the deal. Oakland is running Loaiza out there. Texas has some guy I've never heard of. I think both teams are putting 5-6 runs up tonight. The only reason the o/u isn't about 12 is that the game's in Oakland. Well, I don't care. I'm sending it in, and sending it in big. Football season is almost here, and I've had a fine baseball season. Okay, actually WC soccer pulled me through baseball season, but that's okay. Let's go RUNS!g'luck
I was actually looking at this as well Guru. What kind of line did you get?

Angry Beavers said:
I like the STL/Cincy over as well just looking at the starters - only play for the evening.
Jesus AB, couldn't have been more dead on with this one :thumbup: Although I thought the scoring would be a little more evenly spread.... :loco:

Made a big, stupid bet.O9.5 Tex/oak to make 8 unitsYeah, bet too big, but here's the deal. Oakland is running Loaiza out there. Texas has some guy I've never heard of. I think both teams are putting 5-6 runs up tonight. The only reason the o/u isn't about 12 is that the game's in Oakland. Well, I don't care. I'm sending it in, and sending it in big. Football season is almost here, and I've had a fine baseball season. Okay, actually WC soccer pulled me through baseball season, but that's okay. Let's go RUNS!g'luck
I was actually looking at this as well Guru. What kind of line did you get?
-115I figured less than 10, I'm willing to lay it.

Penny -169

Oak/Tex o9.5

Parlay to make some nice change...

Guru - Kip Wells is out as the starting pitcher, check your bet to make sure it is still valid.

Penny -169

Oak/Tex o9.5

Guru - Kip Wells is out as the starting pitcher, check your bet to make sure it is still valid.
Thanks Green. I think I have some Texas dude I've never heard of.....that's why I'm on the over.

Not to be negative or anything, but I have always been taught that when new pitchers are brought up to the majors their first start is usually pretty good. Nobody has seen the kid pitch so it takes time for the opposition's offense to get a good idea of his stuff. Even if the starter isn't good they can usually get through 5 innings with much damage, because of the unfamiliar factor.

Usually the team brings them up in a good situation (at home) and against a mediocre offensive team. Rarely do you see pitchers making their major league debut in Yankee Stadium or Fenway.

Also, people think like Guru. They see a pitcher who they don't know and they automatically assume fade. Even Liriano was an underdog in 11 of his first 15 starts. And then last month he's -300 against Milwaukee. The books/bettors take lots of time to adjust to things like this.

These are just my thoughts.

Angry Beavers said:
I like the STL/Cincy over as well just looking at the starters - only play for the evening.
Jesus AB, couldn't have been more dead on with this one :thumbup: Although I thought the scoring would be a little more evenly spread.... :loco:
3 plays tonite (getting them in early)

Brad Penny's LA Dodgers RL +135

Cardinals v. Reds O10.5 -110

Tigers ML +130

Penny owns the Rockies

Jeff Weaver is part of the half dead at this point and scoring comes in bunches at GABP

Tigers have been hot, and at +130 seem like good value and are at home

GL to all
:cry: So green no credit sent this way? I crave approval and honestly I'm not feeling it :scared: Couldn't be happier after hitting my 1st two plays today and looking pretty nice on my 3rd

I think i'll crack open a cold one :banned:

Angry Beavers said:

Tigers ML +130

Penny owns the Rockies

Jeff Weaver is part of the half dead at this point and scoring comes in bunches at GABP

GL to all
:cry: So green no credit sent this way? I crave approval and honestly I'm not feeling it :scared: Couldn't be happier after hitting my 1st two plays today and looking pretty nice on my 3rd

:lmao: Nice job buddy - totally missed your plays :ph34r: :bye:

Angry Beavers said:

Tigers ML +130

Penny owns the Rockies

GL to all

:lmao: Nice job buddy - totally missed your plays :ph34r: :bye:
:lol: n/plets take it to them :hifive:

Not to be negative or anything...Also, people think like Guru. They see a pitcher who they don't know and they automatically assume fade. Even Liriano was an underdog in 11 of his first 15 starts. And then last month he's -300 against Milwaukee. The books/bettors take lots of time to adjust to things like this.
:lmao: And you wonder why people don't like you.

Not to be negative or anything...Also, people think like Guru. They see a pitcher who they don't know and they automatically assume fade. Even Liriano was an underdog in 11 of his first 15 starts. And then last month he's -300 against Milwaukee. The books/bettors take lots of time to adjust to things like this.
:lmao: And you wonder why people don't like you.
Awww come on MP is pretty cool, and it was his BDAY yesterday. HAVE A HEART! :lmao:

Not to be negative or anything, but I have always been taught that when new pitchers are brought up to the majors their first start is usually pretty good. Nobody has seen the kid pitch so it takes time for the opposition's offense to get a good idea of his stuff. Even if the starter isn't good they can usually get through 5 innings with much damage, because of the unfamiliar factor.

Usually the team brings them up in a good situation (at home) and against a mediocre offensive team. Rarely do you see pitchers making their major league debut in Yankee Stadium or Fenway.

Also, people think like Guru. They see a pitcher who they don't know and they automatically assume fade. Even Liriano was an underdog in 11 of his first 15 starts. And then last month he's -300 against Milwaukee. The books/bettors take lots of time to adjust to things like this.

Justin, I'm confused by this. Guru is not advocating a bet on Oakland. He is betting the OVER. Loaiza has an ERA of 6.40 and the kid for Texas is in his ML debut on the road. I would expect runs as well. Nothing is a guarantee but his reasoning seems sound.

Justin, I'm confused by this. Guru is not advocating a bet on Oakland. He is betting the OVER. Loaiza has an ERA of 6.40 and the kid for Texas is in his ML debut on the road. I would expect runs as well. Nothing is a guarantee but his reasoning seems sound.
I know he isn't advocating a play on Oakland. My thoughts were just general thoughts on MLB pitchers, not on Loaiza. He's terrible, his ERA is 6 something. You don't think the books know this? The kid is a rookie making his first start on the road. Being on the road in Oakland is no big deal. Fenway, Yankee Stadium, now we are talking.I'd be willing to bet that most MLB debuts turn out to be better than a pitcher's starts after their debut. There's no easy way to prove this, but the whole unfamiliar card comes into play. Pitchers can scout opposing hitters much better than hitters can scout a pitcher they have never seen before.

In general you ALWAYS see a MLB debut pitcher as an underdog and I don't think this should be the case. I just saw highlights of the kid tonight, he was throwing 96. Now he's allowed 5 hits and walked 2 batters tonight. He may turn out to be a solid pitcher.

A good example can be Joe Saunders from the Angels. He has started his first 3 games at home and was +100, -113, -107 in those games. He's went 7 innings in each start and has allowed just 3 earned runs. What will he be next game? Probably -130 or so depending on all of the other factors. The kid seems like he's a stud. I don't know, I haven't seem him pitch, but just looking at his numbers is pretty scary. The kid won't be priced very high, because he's "new" and I think that's wrong.

But what do I know, I'm young. We can never get any decent gambling talk here, it's just Marshall post and we'll all bust on him. I don't understand. I deserve it sometimes, but my post was a legitimate post.

Last edited by a moderator:
:yawn: :banned: Got two plays from my MLB guy, and I ran the numbers myself and they came out the same...

Padres/Mets OVER 8

Cubs/Brewers OVER 8

both can be had at Pinny for 9 right now.

Edited to correct spelling and formatting...

:yawn: :banned: Got two plays from my MLB guy, and I ran the numbers myself and they came out the same...

Padres/Mets OVER 8

Cubs/Brewers OVER 8

Did you play both of these already? Did you really get Over 8 in both of them? I checked the lines a few hrs ago and Pinny had the Mets total right where it is now Over 9 -130.

Not to be negative or anything, ...

I know he isn't advocating a play on Oakland. My thoughts were just general thoughts on MLB pitchers...

bla bla, stats, bla...

But what do I know, I'm young. We can never get any decent gambling talk here, it's just Marshall post and we'll all bust on him. I don't understand. I deserve it sometimes, but my post was a legitimate post.
OK, allow me to be serious for a while.Get's up on soapbox...

[rant]

I don't have anything against you at all, but posting "people like Guru" even though his post had nothing to do with your own 'rambling' doesn't win friends.

Your reply to Doug, when you could've just said "I wasn't talking about Guru" and left the billions of stats out of the post, doesn't exactly invite discussion and make you look like a besserwisser. You have a tendency to ask a lot of questions and I see nothing wrong with that, but you always follow up with a bombardment of stats and counter arguments and, frankly, that gets old. There is no point to discuss anything, because sooner or later you dig up stats to support your theories and even though most of us have 10, 15 or 20 years of experience saying the opposite, you never give up.

I have been away from these threads for a long time, and part of it is because of all the senseless beating on a dead horse that is taking place in them. Eventually you just tune it out or stay away altogether. I am here for friendly banter, some laughs, a play here and there and make some comments and cheers, not to be buried in endless posts of little to no significance.

There is a right way to learn and ask questions and there's a wrong. We poke fun at you at times for being young, but that's not the point. You were way beyond where I was at 20 (to some extents), but sometimes you come off as knowing more then everybody here. I am sure that's not your intention, but that's how it sounds.

When you have spent years making big wagers on a daily basis you'll get it too, but please, don't act like you do now.

[/endofrant]

Padres/Mets OVER 8

Cubs/Brewers OVER 8

Did you play both of these already? Did you really get Over 8 in both of them? I checked the lines a few hrs ago and Pinny had the Mets total right where it is now Over 9 -130.
I bought a run, like I almost always do. (on both)ETA: -196 and -166 respectively for the added run... I saw little to no point in typing that since it will change fairly soon and nobody here is paying that. I am not playing these for any serious money, just a 10th of a unit, and thought I'd post them in here... :shrug:

Padres/Mets OVER 8

Cubs/Brewers OVER 8

Why the #### would I post that I got 8 if I didn't get it? Yes, REALLY... you can too, but I doubt you'd pay that price...Gets back on soap box...

#### ## # # ######### ## ###### # ######## ####### ### ####### ##### 2 ####### or something ###### ##### ### ###### key numbers #### ###### ####### ### ## # ##### ##### you of all ##### #### ######### should ##### # ##### ###### know, right?

;)

Padres/Mets OVER 8

Cubs/Brewers OVER 8

I bought a run, like I almost always do. (on both)
I don't understand buying it all the way down to 8? 8.5 will do just fine, IMO. We both know 9 is a very key number in bases, where 8 isn't as key. What I'm going to say here has nothing to do with your wager, in fact it supports you buying the run. I'd like your thoughts here.

I'm going to get real nitty gritty here - way too detailed. The home teams are both favorites to win so the odds of the game hitting 9 is higher and it's because if the game is tied 4-4 in the 9th or later when the home team wins they will score 1 more run and the game will hit 5-4, barring a walk off. When the road team wins they can score as many runs as possible, so the odds of it hitting 9 aren't as high.

Padres/Mets OVER 8

Cubs/Brewers OVER 8

Why the #### would I post that I got 8 if I didn't get it? Yes, REALLY... you can too, but I doubt you'd pay that price...
I thought you maybe got Over 8 and didn't have to buy any runs. I thought you may have banged the lines as they came out.

Padres/Mets OVER 8

Cubs/Brewers OVER 8

I bought a run, like I almost always do. (on both)
I don't understand buying it all the way down to 8? 8.5 will do just fine, IMO. We both know 9 is a very key number in bases, where 8 isn't as key. What I'm going to say here has nothing to do with your wager, in fact it supports you buying the run. I'd like your thoughts here.

I'm going to get real nitty gritty here - way too detailed. The home teams are both favorites to win so the odds of the game hitting 9 is higher and it's because if the game is tied 4-4 in the 9th or later when the home team wins they will score 1 more run and the game will hit 5-4, barring a walk off. When the road team wins they can score as many runs as possible, so the odds of it hitting 9 aren't as high.
My bet will push on a 5-3, 6-2, 7-1, 8-0 ballgame, 8.5 will not, very easy.ETA: I am in a VERY pissy mood, and I don't recommend trying to convince me that buying to 8 is a losing prop with a boatload of stats. I have logs of ALL my plays since 1985 and I know what I am doing...

Charvik is gold tonight. :thumbup:

Man, do you have all the patience in the world. Right after your earlier rant, he not only continues...but...AT YOU. :lmao: I would have blown up long ago...

:thumbup: Nice hit guru. I like your style.

3 plays tonite (getting them in early)Brad Penny's LA Dodgers RL +135Cardinals v. Reds O10.5 -110Tigers ML +130 Penny owns the RockiesJeff Weaver is part of the half dead at this point and scoring comes in bunches at GABPTigers have been hot, and at +130 seem like good value and are at homeGL to all
Nice calls all the way around here - I cashed the over and LA as part of a parlay; I am we all realize now that Detroit has Liriano's number, or so it seems.

NICE

Charvik is gold tonight. :thumbup: Man, do you have all the patience in the world. Right after your earlier rant, he not only continues...but...AT YOU. :lmao: I would have blown up long ago...
:lmao: :lmao: you should read my pm:s ;) ... and people wonder why I don't post plays here anymore... and this is just a play for fun!Next step, tonight, if one of these loses, comes the pm:s #####ing about someone losing their mortgage payment on the plays :thumbup:

Imagine the questions if I would've posted my 5dimes plays from last season, where I bought the OUs down to 5 runs... :shock:

Penny -169

Oak/Tex o9.5

Liked the Dodgers play all day... nice call on the over Guru. :thumbup: Made some good money on the night after dropping Liriano (figures the only time I bet him all year he is hurt and gets kicked around) and my earlier parlay. I kind of feel like Guru playing all of these parlays lately ;) :bye:

Penny -169

Oak/Tex o9.5

Liked the Dodgers play all day... nice call on the over Guru. :thumbup: Made some good money on the night after dropping Liriano (figures the only time I bet him all year he is hurt and gets kicked around) and my earlier parlay. I kind of feel like Guru playing all of these parlays lately ;) :bye:
I didn't even post my two parlays from last night:StLouis/Cin o 10.5 :thumbup:

Philly/Atl o 9.5 :thumbup:

Chi/LAA o 9.5 :mellow:

SF - 1.5/LAD -1.5 (My favorite, run line parlay) :thumbup:

I was a Jim Thome homer away from being perfect on the night. As it stands, I won about 14 units, and cashed out 15 this morning :thumbup: hopefully tonight will be frutiful again!

charvik said:
MarshallPlan said:
Pat Patriot said:
Not to be negative or anything, ...

I know he isn't advocating a play on Oakland. My thoughts were just general thoughts on MLB pitchers...

bla bla, stats, bla...

OK, allow me to be serious for a while.Get's up on soapbox...

[rant]

I don't have anything against you at all, but posting "people like Guru" even though his post had nothing to do with your own 'rambling' doesn't win friends.

Your reply to Doug, when you could've just said "I wasn't talking about Guru" and left the billions of stats out of the post, doesn't exactly invite discussion and make you look like a besserwisser. You have a tendency to ask a lot of questions and I see nothing wrong with that, but you always follow up with a bombardment of stats and counter arguments and, frankly, that gets old. There is no point to discuss anything, because sooner or later you dig up stats to support your theories and even though most of us have 10, 15 or 20 years of experience saying the opposite, you never give up.

I have been away from these threads for a long time, and part of it is because of all the senseless beating on a dead horse that is taking place in them. Eventually you just tune it out or stay away altogether. I am here for friendly banter, some laughs, a play here and there and make some comments and cheers, not to be buried in endless posts of little to no significance.

There is a right way to learn and ask questions and there's a wrong. We poke fun at you at times for being young, but that's not the point. You were way beyond where I was at 20 (to some extents), but sometimes you come off as knowing more then everybody here. I am sure that's not your intention, but that's how it sounds.

When you have spent years making big wagers on a daily basis you'll get it too, but please, don't act like you do now.

[/endofrant]
and this is why you're one of my favorite dude's on the boards... :thumbup: well said. MP, listen to Charv.

awesome!I ended up taking Loaizia -119 last night and also parlayed the Mariners with the Dodgers for a nice hit. Let's keep it going through the end of his month. My bankroll was down to a $25 wager on Tiger Woods to win the British Open a couple weeks back at +275. That was it. From there, I've taken it up to $700 and cashed out half.Good runs here. Let's keep focused...let's keep making some green.

After a huge night last night I squandered almost 100% of the winnings on table games at Bodog. :rant:

Stupid move. But back at it tonite.

One play stands out so far.

Det. RL -140, not a value play in terms of what you gotta pay but looks solid.

Radke has been better of late but his lone bad outting came at the hands of Det. he lasted only 1 inning. He is 0-3 w/ a 10+ ERA against the Tigers as well. Robertson has been a little more solid and is 3-0 vs. the Twinkies w/ a flat 4 ERA. Some might want to consider the RL, I myself will play it a bit more close to the belt and take the ML.

2ND play is

Reds ML +102

Reds rebound tonite, Milton handled the Cards well in his lone start against them this year, 8 SO innings. Marquis has been bad all year long and will be out by the 5th inning.

Also like the over in the Phillies v. Braves game. Might go back to the well there.

Users who are viewing this thread