What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

BDPSL Commentary (1 Viewer)

Thom,

Thanks for starting a commentary thread. I'm trying to figure out how this is working out. There's some tremendous value falling a bit further than I would have thought, but maybe the point structure has something to do with that. Maybe not. Thanks for your help here.

Ollie aka radballs

Last edited by a moderator:
Thom,Thanks for starting a commentary thread. I'm trying to figure out how this is working out. There's some tremendous value falling a bit further than I would have thought, but maybe the point structure has something to do with that. Maybe not. Thanks for your help here.Ollie aka radballs
No problem. I think this draft format, perhaps with some minor tweaks, has a lot of potential. Thanks for making it happen.FWIW, I spent a lot of time debating between Addai and Parker at #8. I'm a big Parker fan, but Addai's pass catching skills and more dynamic offense sealed the deal for me.

I am not a Willis fan for PPR leagues. So, my 1.10 pick I went with the best player on my board with Smith. For my 2nd round pick, I chose one of my favorite WRs this year, Wayne. We shall see if this gamble pays off.

I am not a Willis fan for PPR leagues. So, my 1.10 pick I went with the best player on my board with Smith. For my 2nd round pick, I chose one of my favorite WRs this year, Wayne. We shall see if this gamble pays off.
I've grabbed Steve at 1.13 in WSL2 and 1.11 in PDSL1. He's easily WR1 on my board.

I've grabbed Steve at 1.13 in WSL2 and 1.11 in PDSL1. He's easily WR1 on my board.
I see this opinion from alot of people, and I can say that I don't understand it. He is a great WR, but on a team that is not a high powered offense, and for a guy who has only performed at a top level in 1 year, to say that he is easily the #1 WR seems odd to me. Would someone like to clue me in on this opinion?

I see this opinion from alot of people, and I can say that I don't understand it. He is a great WR, but on a team that is not a high powered offense, and for a guy who has only performed at a top level in 1 year, to say that he is easily the #1 WR seems odd to me. Would someone like to clue me in on this opinion?
http://subscribers.footballguys.com/2006/06finalppgstats.phpTwo studly years in a row and a new OC who wants to get him more involved. He's the toughest guy to cover in the league, fearless over the middle, and generally displays good hands. He can beat you short or deep. He has demonstrated he can score from inside the 5 yard line. Also a running threat. Great attitude and the clear number one on his team (unlike Harrison, CJ, and Fitz).

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/2006/06finalppgstats.phpTwo studly years in a row and a new OC who wants to get him more involved. He's the toughest guy to cover in the league, fearless over the middle, and generally displays good hands. He can beat you short or deep. He has demonstrated he can score from inside the 5 yard line. Also a running threat. Great attitude and the clear number one on his team (unlike Harrison, CJ, and Fitz).
:rolleyes:

Harrison would have been my pick at 2.9, but with Addai already on my squad, I opted for Owens, who was just behind Marv on my board.

I stand corrected. He had a very good and quiet year last year.

He's a close second on my board...to Chad Johnson (who I was ecstatic to get at the 1-2 turn). Wayne is a just as close third, but truthfully, the three of them are so close together to me as to not matter much.

He's a close second on my board...to Chad Johnson (who I was ecstatic to get at the 1-2 turn). Wayne is a just as close third, but truthfully, the three of them are so close together to me as to not matter much.
Interesting...Smith, Owens, Wayne, Housh, Holt are in my top five. Walker, Harrison, CJ, and Fitz knocking on the door so close that it really doesn't matter.

Somehow, I envisioned my mancrush favorite wide receiver (Colston) slipping into the middle of the third round like he did in SSL2. :lmao: WHY JEFF? WHY??????????????

Somehow, I envisioned my mancrush favorite wide receiver (Colston) slipping into the middle of the third round like he did in SSL2. :cry: WHY JEFF? WHY??????????????
You really want that question answered..."WHY????????????"The obvious answer is that Jeff is getting ready to move him up in his upcoming rankings. :D

3.4 is a nice spot for Thomas Jones. In some of my other message board survivors, he's gone mid 2nd round (he actually went 15th overall in SSL2!). He won't light the world on fire, but he makes a heck of a RB2 in this format, particularly in the 3rd round after you've already snagged a WR1.

It's also hard to argue with Pictus's LT/Driver/AJohnson start. Of course, there's a big doubt in my mind as to whether or not it will be worth losing 9 points a week to have gotten it.

3.4 is a nice spot for Thomas Jones. In some of my other message board survivors, he's gone mid 2nd round (he actually went 15th overall in SSL2!). He won't light the world on fire, but he makes a heck of a RB2 in this format, particularly in the 3rd round after you've already snagged a WR1.
agree

It's also hard to argue with Pictus's LT/Driver/AJohnson start. Of course, there's a big doubt in my mind as to whether or not it will be worth losing 9 points a week to have gotten it.
Perhaps I was overzealous, but it is refreshing to not be drafting in roughly the same spot I have for all of the SLs I've been in. Time and my hopefully improving draft skills will tell if 9 points over the bottom guys and fewer towards the top guys was worth it. If I get half way, I beleive it makes a point.

I couldn't be happier getting TJ in the 3rd. He isn't flashy, but should give me consistant production.

Perhaps I was overzealous, but it is refreshing to not be drafting in roughly the same spot I have for all of the SLs I've been in. Time and my hopefully improving draft skills will tell if 9 points over the bottom guys and fewer towards the top guys was worth it. If I get half way, I beleive it makes a point.
I must say that I was surprised that you went with Driver, considering you already were losing LT and 9 points that week. But totally understand drafting from a different spot than normal, but ended up drafting in same spot as SSL . :popcorn:

Very sad that MJD didn't make it back to me in the 2nd. When he didn't I decided to take the top pick at QB and TE. In past years I have been knocked out because of inconsistent QB and TE play so I won't have to worry about that here.

filling in my WR and RB should be a fun challenge :lmao:

Very sad that MJD didn't make it back to me in the 2nd. When he didn't I decided to take the top pick at QB and TE. In past years I have been knocked out because of inconsistent QB and TE play so I won't have to worry about that here.filling in my WR and RB should be a fun challenge :)
I always like to see folks try unorthodox moves, mostly because I'm often too scared to try them myself. :bag: That said, I tried WR/WR in the first two rounds picking from the 13 hole in WSL2, and managed to nab Travis Henry in round 5, before he went to Denver. :cry: I think WSL lends itself a bit more to that kind of risk taking, given that you can get lucky with some mid-round gems as a result of free agency. You've certainly started your team with two incredibly safe, sure-fire studs. I'll be :cry: to see how you end up.

I figure that an unorthodox league needs some unorthodox moves.
SSL4 had someone try the same thing with Gates and Manning. I have been too busy to see how the rest of the team ended up.
oh really? I'll check it out.
Master Shake2.03 (19)Peyton Manning, IND, QB1(6)4.03 (51)Jamal Lewis, CLE, RB26(7)5.14 (78)Fred Taylor, JAC, RB34(4)6.03 (83)Brandon Jackson ®, GB, RB35(7)10.03 (147)Mike Bell, DEN, RB49(6)3.14 (46)Plaxico Burress, NYG, WR17(9)7.14 (110)Derrick Mason, BAL, WR37(8)8.03 (115)Muhsin Muhammad, CHI, WR42(9)11.14 Joe Jurevicous(sp)1.14 (14)Antonio Gates, SD, TE1(7)9.14 (142)Ravens, BAL, D2(8)

I figure that an unorthodox league needs some unorthodox moves.
SSL4 had someone try the same thing with Gates and Manning. I have been too busy to see how the rest of the team ended up.
oh really? I'll check it out.
Master Shake2.03 (19)Peyton Manning, IND, QB1(6)4.03 (51)Jamal Lewis, CLE, RB26(7)5.14 (78)Fred Taylor, JAC, RB34(4)6.03 (83)Brandon Jackson ®, GB, RB35(7)10.03 (147)Mike Bell, DEN, RB49(6)3.14 (46)Plaxico Burress, NYG, WR17(9)7.14 (110)Derrick Mason, BAL, WR37(8)8.03 (115)Muhsin Muhammad, CHI, WR42(9)11.14 Joe Jurevicous(sp)1.14 (14)Antonio Gates, SD, TE1(7)9.14 (142)Ravens, BAL, D2(8)
If the Jamal pick was a better WR I'd really like this team. (20/20 hindsight though - who knew he'd get FTaylor and BJax at 5/6).

Westy, Benson and Randy Moss? I'm liking how this is starting out. Man am I glad Moss got traded to make a 16th high tier WR. :shock:

Nice grab w/ Jones, if he dropped to me I would've taken him in a minute and not worried about RB for the rest of the draft.

Somehow, I envisioned my mancrush favorite wide receiver (Colston) slipping into the middle of the third round like he did in SSL2. :cry: WHY JEFF? WHY??????????????
You really want that question answered..."WHY????????????"The obvious answer is that Jeff is getting ready to move him up in his upcoming rankings. :D
:shock: hey..... :D I'll explain after my next pick.
So ok, here's my thoughts on this.I reached down a little lower on my list for a WR that wouldn't conflict on my RB1 bye week. I looked at Roy, but didn't want my 1-2 punch to have the same bye, so I passed on him and went to a NO WR, a Week 4 bye to leave me ample room to grab a solid WR2 in Round 3. I was hoping for less of a run on them, but Plax represents the end (or near end) of Tier 2 WRs. I knew I'd wind up with 2 so the picks were based on (A) who would likely be there at 3.06 and (B) not really caring about which 2 I got as WRs 10-20 are very close IMHO.

Also their byes leave me ample room to maneuver for additional WRs later in the draft.

:loco: hey..... :bs: I'll explain after my next pick.
So ok, here's my thoughts on this.I reached down a little lower on my list for a WR that wouldn't conflict on my RB1 bye week. I looked at Roy, but didn't want my 1-2 punch to have the same bye, so I passed on him and went to a NO WR, a Week 4 bye to leave me ample room to grab a solid WR2 in Round 3. I was hoping for less of a run on them, but Plax represents the end (or near end) of Tier 2 WRs. I knew I'd wind up with 2 so the picks were based on (A) who would likely be there at 3.06 and (B) not really caring about which 2 I got as WRs 10-20 are very close IMHO.

Also their byes leave me ample room to maneuver for additional WRs later in the draft.
Something he learned in SSL3 :)

:no: hey..... :hot: I'll explain after my next pick.

Kind of liking Buress at 4.1 in SSL2

I feel like I was given a reprieve of Barber III lasting until my 3rd round pick.

I like my first three picks of Steve Smith, Reggie Wayne, and Marion Barber.

BassNBrew said:
:shrug: hey..... ;) I'll explain after my next pick.

You're reassured by the King of Reach? ;)

BassNBrew said:
:banned: hey..... ;) I'll explain after my next pick.

You're reassured by the King of Reach? ;)
Thanks gb, now I wish I could have that pick over.

I feel like I was given a reprieve of Barber III lasting until my 3rd round pick.I like my first three picks of Steve Smith, Reggie Wayne, and Marion Barber.
Barber + 8.5 + Smith + Wayne >>> LT + Driver + AJ in 2007Going to last year's stats...12.8 + 8.5 + 18.6 + 16.9 = 56.830.2 + 16.9 + 15.6 = 62.7You've already cut the delta to 6 points with the following factors in your favor...1) Last year was a NFL record breaking year for LT. Gonna be hard for him to maintain that.2) You now draft first the rest of the way and can make up more ground.3) Barber's 12.8 ppg will be easier to top by your 3rd or 4th back then LT's 30.2.4) LT's weekly points will fluctuate more than your RB1 points posted. The name of the game here isn't to score the most, just not score the least.

I have to admit that I'm not much of a fan of taking three RB in the first 4 rounds of a survivor draft, but I thought Peterson was too much of a value at 4.9 to pass up.

Thom Yorke said:
I have to admit that I'm not much of a fan of taking three RB in the first 4 rounds of a survivor draft, but I thought Peterson was too much of a value at 4.9 to pass up.
I don't understand how Peterson represents value? I haven't heard how he will be used in the offense as of yet in year one. Do you have him projected with more carries than CT?

Thom Yorke said:
I don't understand how Peterson represents value? I haven't heard how he will be used in the offense as of yet in year one. Do you have him projected with more carries than CT?
Most people do according to recent ADPs.

QB:

RB: Brian Westbrook, Cedric Benson

WR: Randy Moss, Calvin Johnson, Darrell Jackson

TE:

PK:

DEF:

:confused:

QB:

RB: Frank Gore (6), Warrick Dunn (8)

WR: Marques Colston (4), Plaxico Burress (9), Mark Clayton (8)

TE: Alge Crumpler (8)

Users who are viewing this thread