What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Benson Is Terrible (2 Viewers)

TD5150

Footballguy
I used my first pick on him in a 2 keeper league (3.1) and was worried about it.

Yes the SD D is good but Benson looked like Ron Dayne the second (put his head down and ran into the backs of his linemen).......not only that but AP (the original) looked pretty good, before he fumbled late in the game.

I see a 50/50 split next week.

I'm now officially VERY worried about Benson being productive at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is something many Bears fans have known for quite some time. That is why we were so pissed when they discarded Thomas Jones. Benson is not an elusive runner. He doesn't have the instincts you would like to see in a franchise back. He is Curtis Ennis reincarnated. :rant:

And the bench of Adrian Peterson (AP, unfortunately NOT AD) and Garrett Wolfe doesn't inspire much confidence at this point.

I'm new here and I think I may have wandered into the wrong thread...Could someone point me to the sensible postings threads? TIA.

Does he have a ways to go? DEFINITELY

Did he not look very explosive? NO

Isn't the first game of the season usually a bit strange? YES

Doesn't SD have one of the stoutest defenses in the league right now? YOU GOT IT!

Not defending Benson too much here, but he was indeed against one of the top defenses in the NFL. Their passing game still sucks. And they still have to rely on their defense to win games for them...

I think he'll come around at some point, once he starts seeing the # of carries he gets per game go down. He'll get the message loud and clear...

SD is a tough defense so I wouldn't go too crazy. Benson will have a decent/good year due to the fact that he'll get a lot of carries on a good team but he's not a good RB. LOL, he's kind of like Rex Grossman at the RB position.

It was a game featuring two of the league's top rushing defenses. Benson had 19 carries for 42 yards. Tomlinson had 17 carries for 25 yards.

If we're counting out Benson after one game, we should also count out Tomlinson. One averaged 2.2 ypc and the other one averaged 1.5. Guess which was which.

It was a game featuring two of the league's top rushing defenses. Benson had 19 carries for 42 yards. Tomlinson had 17 carries for 25 yards.If we're counting out Benson after one game, we should also count out Tomlinson. One averaged 2.2 ypc and the other one averaged 1.5. Guess which was which.
don't forget that Tomlinson won the game for his team though...

Does he have a ways to go? DEFINITELYDid he not look very explosive? NOIsn't the first game of the season usually a bit strange? YESDoesn't SD have one of the stoutest defenses in the league right now? YOU GOT IT!Not defending Benson too much here, but he was indeed against one of the top defenses in the NFL. Their passing game still sucks. And they still have to rely on their defense to win games for them...I think he'll come around at some point, once he starts seeing the # of carries he gets per game go down. He'll get the message loud and clear...
Common sense does not belong here guy.Have a nice season, Shark Pool

The one thing that makes me a bit nervous is the age of the Bears o-line. Cant freakin believe they havent made one attempt to get younger and better in the last 3 yrs.

It was a game featuring two of the league's top rushing defenses. Benson had 19 carries for 42 yards. Tomlinson had 17 carries for 25 yards.If we're counting out Benson after one game, we should also count out Tomlinson. One averaged 2.2 ypc and the other one averaged 1.5. Guess which was which.
And Benson lost the game for his team with that fumble...momentum was clearly with the Bears until Benson coughed it up.

And had 50 yards receiving. And ran for a touchdown. And threw for a touchdown. And he didn't fumble either. I'll take crappy games like this from LT anyday.

The whole Chicago offense looked very "blah" to me and that doesn't help Benson. When you got teams who can't really respect the threat of a teams passing (GROSSman and company), it makes it that much harder for the running game (Benson).

That being said, I think Peterson looked better than Benson. It's only one game and it was against a good defense, so you can't knock Benson too much, but be ready to make some moves if Chicago's offense continues to look very vanilla.

And Benson lost the game for his team with that fumble...momentum was clearly with the Bears until Benson coughed it up.
:no:

It's not Benson's numbers that should concern his owners - no one should have expected much of anything against the Charger Defense at home. But he showed absolutely no elusiveness, and no anger when he got the rock. Several of his runs looked as if he either chose the wrong hole, or didn't see that there wasn't a hole and he ran right into the pile.

I think Benson could have decent success if the Bears had a passing game that threatened defenses and a very good run blocking offensive line. Unfortunately for Benson (and his owners), the Bears don't have either. It's going to be a long, long year for those who spent late 2nd and early 3rds on Cedric.

I think it would be a mistake to give up on Benson and the rest of the Bears offense after one week based on a road game at SD. However, I would be on red alert. The Bears only gained 202 yards of offense and looked completely inept, it wasn't just Benson, it was the whole freakin' offensive unit. It could be a long year for them.

You really thought he would do well against the SD defense? seriously? :lmao:
It wasn't just the defense. The guy can't stay on his feet. He lookwed awful.
Who had more yard rushing, Tomlinson or Benson? Benson is the correct answer. The Bears did not do a very good job run blocking. As a Bears fan I wasn't all that happy with Benson, but I still believe he will be alright. The have to do a better job throwing the ball to open up the running lanes. The Bears ran the ball very effectively last season. But to all those who think Thomas Jones is so much better, he had exactly the same number of rushing yards as Benson.

While we're at it we can blame the Adrian Peterson fumble on Benson as well. :mellow:

Down worry the Bears offense can always rely on Grossman!

It's not Benson's numbers that should concern his owners - no one should have expected much of anything against the Charger Defense at home. But he showed absolutely no elusiveness, and no anger when he got the rock. Several of his runs looked as if he either chose the wrong hole, or didn't see that there wasn't a hole and he ran right into the pile.

I think Benson could have decent success if the Bears had a passing game that threatened defenses and a very good run blocking offensive line. Unfortunately for Benson (and his owners), the Bears don't have either. It's going to be a long, long year for those who spent late 2nd and early 3rds on Cedric.
I agree with most of your post, but Thomas Jones did not seem to have those problems with Grossman last year and Kyle Orton the year before.As the thread states Benson sucks.

I agree with most of your post, but Thomas Jones did not seem to have those problems with Grossman last year and Kyle Orton the year before.As the thread states Benson sucks.
Until I see something, ANYTHING from Cedric Benson that makes him appear to be more than a smaller Ron Dayne, I'm of the opinion that Thomas Jones is a much better running back.

Until I see something, ANYTHING from Cedric Benson that makes him appear to be more than a smaller Ron Dayne, I'm of the opinion that Thomas Jones is a much better running back.
I have had that stance since 2005 when I saw Benson get PT. It was painfuly obvious he was not going to be a very good NFL all purpose running back. And thats what a 5th overall is expected to be. Thomas Jones was always the better back, that's why he always started.

Like I said earlier, Benson just has no vision at all. That's been apparent from the beginning. He basically just runs straight ahead. If there's a hole, he'll hit it. If it's just a wall of people, he'll run into them and fall down. I know that it was a tough defense and LT didn't do well, and blah blah blah. But how did Peterson average 5.4 ypc versus Benson's 2.2 if it was just all that?

I am not panicing yet. The Chargers D is tough and the Bears were up for most of the game so they were fairly conservation on offense. The Bears offense tends to beat up on bad defenses and try not to lose the game against good defenses.

Benson showed some power at times. But the fumble at a crucial time did concern me.

From ESPN:

Scouts Buzz

Life without former RB Thomas Jones, who was traded to the New York Jets, was not very rosy for the Chicago Bears. Former first-round pick Cedric Benson finished the game with 19 carriers for 42 yards (2.2 ypc) and one fumble. It was not just that Benson was unproductive, it was how he ran.

There were a few occasions where Benson missed open holes. He spent too much time in this game dancing instead of exploding through the hole. Benson did not finish his runs off, ran tentative, looked soft at times and seemed intimidated by a physical San Diego run defense. If Chicago is going to ultimately get to where they want to go, Benson is going to have to learn to run with authority. In this loss to San Diego, Benson gave a textbook example of how you don't want to attack the San Diego defense.

-- Jeremy Green, Scouts Inc.

tommyGunZ said:
From ESPN:

Scouts Buzz

Life without former RB Thomas Jones, who was traded to the New York Jets, was not very rosy for the Chicago Bears. Former first-round pick Cedric Benson finished the game with 19 carriers for 42 yards (2.2 ypc) and one fumble. It was not just that Benson was unproductive, it was how he ran.

There were a few occasions where Benson missed open holes. He spent too much time in this game dancing instead of exploding through the hole. Benson did not finish his runs off, ran tentative, looked soft at times and seemed intimidated by a physical San Diego run defense. If Chicago is going to ultimately get to where they want to go, Benson is going to have to learn to run with authority. In this loss to San Diego, Benson gave a textbook example of how you don't want to attack the San Diego defense.

-- Jeremy Green, Scouts Inc.
Exactly!

Pretty funny that as bad as Benson was, he still outgained LT by over 20 yards on 2 more carries.

Pretty funny that as bad as Benson was, he still outgained LT by over 20 yards on 2 more carries.
Yeah but he did not throw or have a catch and run for a TD and help his team win did he.Please. Benson Slappies make me roll around and giggle. :confused:

Jeesh, people very sensitive. All I did was point out a fact fellas. Wasnt saying anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread