What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Buy can kiss my fanny good-bye (1 Viewer)

That sucks. BIGTIME. I would've gone mideival on their ###. I have a similar story. I bought a can of Copenhagen snuff at a 7-11 a few years ago before golfing. I get to the golf course and open the can. It's like sawdust. I read the label and it's about a year old!!! For those of you out there who don't chew, if you get a can that's over a month old it's considered stale. I have a miserable round golfing without the chew and I go to the 7-11 afterwards to return it. The dot head at the counter asks me if I have a receipt. I said no, but check the dates on the other cans. He does, and sees the same year old date. He's still not convinced. He asks me what the guy looked like who I bought it from. I said, "He looked like you". The guy tells me that the person must have been Pushpa, and to come back tomorrow between 5 and 10 am when he is working. I told him he was on crack and to give me my money back. The people in line start getting on my case. The heat intensifies. I open the can of sawdust and dump it right on the counter, turn around, and walk out. The guy chases me to my car telling me to I am going to come back in and clean it up. I calmly walked to my car and opened the trunk and took out my 28" DeMarini Double Wall softball bat. I started walking toward the guy and he ran back into the store and locked it. I got in my car and drove away. I could tell he got my license plate number but the cops never called me. As immature as it was, man did it feel good.
:thumbup:
Had to be the Double Wall DeMarini that did it.If this would have been a Worth EST or Easton Connexion then the guy wouldn't have backed down.

Best Buy (BBY) reported awful third-quarter earnings yesterday morning and lowered 2011 earnings estimates, as TV and mobile devices in particular were horrendous at the big-box retailer.

You know what I say? Good riddance. Best Buy has been fleecing customers for years and finally the consumer has decided to say enough. The Great Recession made customers smarter and competitors like Amazon (AMZN), NewEgg, Walmart (WMT), and Target (TGT) are taking market share away from the Minnesota-based company, and at least in my opinion, it isn't going to come back.

Best Buy was a major beneficiary from Circuit City's Chapter 11 last year, as consumers needed a place to buy their products. Well after a few years, it looks like consumers' purchasing habits for Sony (SNE), Panasonic (PC), and Toshiba TVs has finally changed.

Consumers are saying that if retailers can't compete on price, they better offer an amazing in-store experience and something else that shoppers can't get elsewhere. Best Buy is trying to do that with "Geek Squad," but no one in their right mind wants to pay some college kid $300 to set up their home theater for them.

I don't see this as a negative for TV makers like Sony or mobile-device makers like Apple (AAPL) and HTC, but as a positive for Best Buy's competitors.

So long, Best Buy. If you can't innovate, you'll no longer be known as Best Buy. It's starting to look more like Worst Buy.
:stampofapproval:
Putting thing in perspective. And I could care less about Best Buy but they made 11.9 billion dollars in the 3rd quarter vs 12.3 expected.

So if earning 11.9 billions dollars is awful I wonder what sales will be to send them out of business.

Once the bleeding stops on the stock...it's a strong buy for a nice 20% turnaround over the next 6-8 months. THis company is still printing money.
Good point, but are you sure about that number?I remember day trading them in the $8-$9 range. :thumbup:
They are trading at almost 9 times their earnings now...if it get's any lower it will be just silly. It is a falling knife right now but if I see any consistent green trades today...I will take a small position for a nice trade on a turnaround play. It should happen as this is a overreaction to a missed quarter on a company that only made 11.9 billion dollars over a 3 month period. THis may be a signal that the competition has indeed shrunk their market share but they still make plenty of money and can do some cut's and re-org to combat some soft quarters.

That sucks. BIGTIME. I would've gone mideival on their ###. I have a similar story. I bought a can of Copenhagen snuff at a 7-11 a few years ago before golfing. I get to the golf course and open the can. It's like sawdust. I read the label and it's about a year old!!! For those of you out there who don't chew, if you get a can that's over a month old it's considered stale. I have a miserable round golfing without the chew and I go to the 7-11 afterwards to return it. The dot head at the counter asks me if I have a receipt. I said no, but check the dates on the other cans. He does, and sees the same year old date. He's still not convinced. He asks me what the guy looked like who I bought it from. I said, "He looked like you". The guy tells me that the person must have been Pushpa, and to come back tomorrow between 5 and 10 am when he is working. I told him he was on crack and to give me my money back. The people in line start getting on my case. The heat intensifies. I open the can of sawdust and dump it right on the counter, turn around, and walk out. The guy chases me to my car telling me to I am going to come back in and clean it up. I calmly walked to my car and opened the trunk and took out my 28" DeMarini Double Wall softball bat. I started walking toward the guy and he ran back into the store and locked it. I got in my car and drove away. I could tell he got my license plate number but the cops never called me. As immature as it was, man did it feel good.
:goodposting:
Had to be the Double Wall DeMarini that did it.If this would have been a Worth EST or Easton Connexion then the guy wouldn't have backed down.
28"? Was the guy playing T-ball?

Rejoice.http://www.forbes.com/sites/larrydownes/2012/01/02/why-best-buy-is-going-out-of-business-gradually/
I rarely shop at Best Buy anymore. They had/have good prices on CDs and DVDs but who buys those anymore? Anything tech related I just get from Newegg. I guess a business model of selling people $60 audio cables can only last so long.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another reason why these stores are going under is because they are not so much stores now rather than warehouses. So much floor space, not much selling going on. Blockbuster went under because those stores had so much space that was getting paid for but wasted. Best Buy is the same way. The last few times I have been in there they have had new product that ten years ago they would have never carried. Work out stuff, more rows of candy just stuff you would see at Sam's Club. Best Buy needs smaller stores and I would think their leases are not helping them.

Rejoice.http://www.forbes.com/sites/larrydownes/2012/01/02/why-best-buy-is-going-out-of-business-gradually/
Excellent article.The online Christmas catastrophe is the nail in the coffin for them. They were finally trying to expand their web presence and really integrate it with their retail stores and managed to totally destroy their online presence instead. Totally inept management to not be able to deliver product you promised people and only let them know 3 days before Christmas even though they ordered a month before. Good riddance. I haven't stepped foot in a Best Buy in years. I get it all from Amazon, Newegg, TigerDirect, etc.(They tried to sell my mom a $50 HDMI cable last Christmas for a BluRay player she bought and had the audacity to claim that cheaper ones wouldn't be compatible. I got my parents one for $4 shipped off of Amazon and it works just fine of course.)

I can't think of any reason why I would go to one of these awful stores instead of amazon.

If I could make love to amazon, I would.

In the last two months, I bought a TV and a washer and dryer at Best Buy. With respect to both purchases, I had some of the best customer service experiences that I've had in years. Huge fan.

I actually went into a Best Buy over the weekend and had a very nice experience. Of course, reading all the comments here, I'm sure I paid WAY too much money for what I bought. I bought a 16 GB SDHC Card for my Blackberry for $39 and a CD Cleaner for my car for $14. :unsure:

I wouldn't have been able to find either one of these products, so I told my sons to find them for me. They couldn't either, but they found a nice employee who helped me find both. I paid in cash, but THIS TIME....I kept the receipt. :bag:

I actually went into a Best Buy over the weekend and had a very nice experience. Of course, reading all the comments here, I'm sure I paid WAY too much money for what I bought. I bought a 16 GB SDHC Card for my Blackberry for $39 and a CD Cleaner for my car for $14. :unsure: I wouldn't have been able to find either one of these products, so I told my sons to find them for me. They couldn't either, but they found a nice employee who helped me find both. I paid in cash, but THIS TIME....I kept the receipt. :bag:
Cool story, Dentist.

I actually went into a Best Buy over the weekend and had a very nice experience. Of course, reading all the comments here, I'm sure I paid WAY too much money for what I bought. I bought a 16 GB SDHC Card for my Blackberry for $39 and a CD Cleaner for my car for $14. :unsure: I wouldn't have been able to find either one of these products, so I told my sons to find them for me. They couldn't either, but they found a nice employee who helped me find both. I paid in cash, but THIS TIME....I kept the receipt. :bag:
http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Class-Flash-Memory-SDSDB-016G-A11/dp/B001T9IVCU/ref=sr_1_34?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1325793838&sr=1-34

Cool story, Dentist.
I don't get it. :confused:

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Class-Flash-Memory-SDSDB-016G-A11/dp/B001T9IVCU/ref=sr_1_34?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1325793838&sr=1-34
oooof. never again. thanks, GB. :thumbup:

I actually went into a Best Buy over the weekend and had a very nice experience. Of course, reading all the comments here, I'm sure I paid WAY too much money for what I bought. I bought a 16 GB SDHC Card for my Blackberry for $39 and a CD Cleaner for my car for $14. :unsure:

I wouldn't have been able to find either one of these products, so I told my sons to find them for me. They couldn't either, but they found a nice employee who helped me find both. I paid in cash, but THIS TIME....I kept the receipt. :bag:
http://www.amazon.co...5793838&sr=1-34
oooof. never again. thanks, GB. :thumbup:
CD cleanerHTH

Cool story, Dentist.
:lmao:

Cool story, Dentist.
:nomarriage: -> gets married:bestbuysucks: -> shops at best buy

I had meant to start a thread like this a few months back. I literally got shook down by a best buy geek squad manager.

I spent > :30 minutes picking out a new TV, a wall mount, speakers - basicaly a whole new entertainment package for the living room. The total bill came to just > $5K. I told them that I was traveling on business and that it had to be done within the next two weeks otherwise I'd have to wait over a month and if that was the case i was just going to wait it out. The department manager made a bunch of phone calls and called the geek squad desk and couldn't get a time opened up that worked for me. Finaly he says to me that he doesn't want to loose the sale he is going to talk to the king of the geeks, as said King just walks by. So he calls his name and within ear shot he tells him about the big sale and how he needs to get him to fit me in if posible. The Geek asks him "well what level installation service is he going to buy? If it's the standard service then I'm not wasting the time but if he wants to pony up the $600 for the deluxe package I'll get him in this weekend". At this point I don't even let the sales manager speak and I give him the old "excuse me, I didn't hear you" routine. Without skiping a beat he says "I can only fit a premium instalation". So I ask him what I will get for the extra $500. He runs though a small list and the only differance is they will progam all the remotes. 100% the only REAL differance between the two. So I bottom line it for him and ask him "so you want me to pay $500 for you to program a remote for me?" "No, it's for the premium serive. - Your chances of geting us to show up within the next two weeks are greatly enhanced if you get the premium serivce". "This is nothing more then a shake down - your shaking me down for $500 so you can meet some sort of target arent' you?"

I'm not exactly proud of the next :30 seconds, but in short I told him to fornic@te with himself and nice job screwing BB out of a >$5K sale and that I'll be calling the GM for the area.

Truth be told I ended up going to BJ's wholesale club and finding the exact same equipment and installed it myself and saved well over $2K - so it all worked out. But I was furious.
I forgot about how pissed I was this day.... man was I upset at that little b@stard.

I bought my last TV @ Best Buy because they had an incredible deal (even better than Amazon which was shocking). It was a free 3d blu-ray player. I purchased it online but for some reason the free blu-ray player wasnt going through. I talked to someone in the chat and they said just bring the receipt into the store and theyll give me the blu-ray player and credit my acct. When I went to the store the manager was VERY helpful but he couldnt get it to go through. I was there for like an HOUR. He had to cancel the order and start it all over again. This included canceling the financing, etc. Also, the website offered 36 month interest free payments while the store only had 24 months. :confused: He was able to get me the 36 months as well. Also, the TV in the store was $50 cheaper than online :confused: . He got it to me for the store price as well. So while the manager was EXTREMELY helpful I wasted an hour of my time trying fix something that shouldve worked out when I purchased it online. Their online prices & deals dont match the in store prices and I find that to be very strange.

Wait, you went back, and bought a CD cleaner? Were they all out of betamax players? :lmao:

Now..all of you Amazon and Newegg lovers go back to the other thread and watch the UPS and FedEx guys delivering your cheaper electronics and keep that smile on your faces.

Anyone buying a mount for a TV OR DMI cables (or any cables) at best buy is getting Skeeeeee-rewed

monoprice.com

i use amazon for damn near everything else

'The Big Guy said:
Now..all of you Amazon and Newegg lovers go back to the other thread and watch the UPS and FedEx guys delivering your cheaper electronics and keep that smile on your faces.
Amazon's return policy is pretty easy and awesome.

Amazon's return policy is amazing. Bought a gift (a nice baby swing) for a newborn this past summer, and later realized the grandmother bought the same thing. The swing came in a huge box -- I called amazon to return it and they told me to keep it.

:excited: :hifive:

'The Big Guy said:
I work a block away from the Best Buy on 44th and 5th in NYC and see those smurfs unloading huge boxes from trucks all the time with the most delicate care that $9/hour can get.

So I buy little GM the Lion King DVD for x-mas...I pay $19.99 for it last sunday morning. I pay cash. I'm pretty hungover from the night before. The receipt goes into some dark abyss I'll never retrieve.Little GM gets the Lion King from his aunt for Christmas. Mrs. GM tells me to return the one I got to Best Buy today. No problem. Well, one problem....I can't find the bloody receipt. But no worries, right? I mean it's unopened and in bright yellow letters it says "BEST BUY - $19.99".So I go in, I get in a long line and I wait. And I wait. It's a ####ing zoo in this hell hole. I finally get up to the return lady and she asks if I have a receipt. I told her I did not. So she then asks for my ID, phone number and writes down my address. She pops the info into her computer and then hands me a gift card for $11.99 and thanks me for shopping at Best Buy.Well....I got a big f'n problem. I told her that I paid $19.99 a week ago, why am I getting a store credit for only $11.99? It says on the DVD on a bright yellow sticker "$19.99". She tells me it is their policy to find the lowest price of an item within the last 30 days OF ANY BEST BUY STORE IN THE COUNTRY and give store credit for that price. :hot: :rant: So I told her that's ridiculous. I asked to speak to the manager, who came over and said "sorry, you don't have a receipt. That's our policy." To which I replied "You mean to tell me, because I don't have a receipt you go into your computer, find the lowest price this DVD went for in the last month...NOT AT THIS STORE...but any store in the country and then give me store credit for that?" Manager nods her head.Unreal. I asked for them to prove to me that this DVD was $11.99 anywhere, but they wouldn't do it. I cursed and called their policy "####ing idiotic" and asked "what happened to customer service?". The lady said "Don't you curse at me or I won't help you" and I said "HELP??? Is that what you call this screw job?" :hot: I took the store credit, said thanks for stealing my money and left. I kicked over a stand on my way out, threw some pennies on the floor and flicked off the little dude who called after me. Yeah I know...very immature. I don't care. Screw them and screw their return policy. I know it's my responsibility to keep all my receipts, but I remember a time where stores honored customers and valued their patrons. Best Buy will never see another dollar from me again. I'm going to use their store credit to wipe my butt. :hot: :rant: F You Best Buy.
I had no issue returning a Samsung 7 plus to them with out a receipt. They simply looked me up in the system and saw all the details including the $50.00 gift card I had received. Very easy and pleasant experience. I generally don't shop at Best Buy but it was very easy dealing with them. My assumption at most of these places your experience will vary depending upon who you talk to and how you treat them.

So I buy little GM the Lion King DVD for x-mas...I pay $19.99 for it last sunday morning. I pay cash. I'm pretty hungover from the night before. The receipt goes into some dark abyss I'll never retrieve.Little GM gets the Lion King from his aunt for Christmas. Mrs. GM tells me to return the one I got to Best Buy today. No problem. Well, one problem....I can't find the bloody receipt. But no worries, right? I mean it's unopened and in bright yellow letters it says "BEST BUY - $19.99".So I go in, I get in a long line and I wait. And I wait. It's a ####ing zoo in this hell hole. I finally get up to the return lady and she asks if I have a receipt. I told her I did not. So she then asks for my ID, phone number and writes down my address. She pops the info into her computer and then hands me a gift card for $11.99 and thanks me for shopping at Best Buy.Well....I got a big f'n problem. I told her that I paid $19.99 a week ago, why am I getting a store credit for only $11.99? It says on the DVD on a bright yellow sticker "$19.99". She tells me it is their policy to find the lowest price of an item within the last 30 days OF ANY BEST BUY STORE IN THE COUNTRY and give store credit for that price. :hot: :rant: So I told her that's ridiculous. I asked to speak to the manager, who came over and said "sorry, you don't have a receipt. That's our policy." To which I replied "You mean to tell me, because I don't have a receipt you go into your computer, find the lowest price this DVD went for in the last month...NOT AT THIS STORE...but any store in the country and then give me store credit for that?" Manager nods her head.Unreal. I asked for them to prove to me that this DVD was $11.99 anywhere, but they wouldn't do it. I cursed and called their policy "####ing idiotic" and asked "what happened to customer service?". The lady said "Don't you curse at me or I won't help you" and I said "HELP??? Is that what you call this screw job?" :hot: I took the store credit, said thanks for stealing my money and left. I kicked over a stand on my way out, threw some pennies on the floor and flicked off the little dude who called after me. Yeah I know...very immature. I don't care. Screw them and screw their return policy. I know it's my responsibility to keep all my receipts, but I remember a time where stores honored customers and valued their patrons. Best Buy will never see another dollar from me again. I'm going to use their store credit to wipe my butt. :hot: :rant: F You Best Buy.
I had no issue returning a Samsung 7 plus to them with out a receipt. They simply looked me up in the system and saw all the details including the $50.00 gift card I had received. Very easy and pleasant experience. I generally don't shop at Best Buy but it was very easy dealing with them. My assumption at most of these places are your experience will vary depending upon who you talk to and how you treat them.
And whether or not you paid cash.A decade ago.

Amazon's return policy is amazing. Bought a gift (a nice baby swing) for a newborn this past summer, and later realized the grandmother bought the same thing. The swing came in a huge box -- I called amazon to return it and they told me to keep it. :excited: :hifive:
Congrats on the baby, Cappy! :thumbup:

I had no issue returning a Samsung 7 plus to them with out a receipt. They simply looked me up in the system and saw all the details including the $50.00 gift card I had received. Very easy and pleasant experience. I generally don't shop at Best Buy but it was very easy dealing with them. My assumption at most of these places are your experience will vary depending upon who you talk to and how you treat them.
And whether or not you paid cash.A decade ago.
:lmao:

Cool story, Dentist.
You are not alone. :shrug:

Cool story, Dentist.
Finish reading the thread.

Cool story, Dentist.
im assuming cuz dentist always said nomarriage.com and then got married. just like gm said best buy can kiss his fanny goodbye and then was just there last week to buy a cd cleaner

Users who are viewing this thread