What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Breastfeeding (1 Viewer)

You know what would prove this? Have doctors that have never examined kids before do full physicals on about 1k kids. If all this crap about the obvious benefits is true, a trained dr should be able to guess with 90% accuracy if the kid was breast fed or not.

You know what would prove this? Have doctors that have never examined kids before do full physicals on about 1k kids. If all this crap about the obvious benefits is true, a trained dr should be able to guess with 90% accuracy if the kid was breast fed or not.
That sounds like a pretty ridiculous thing to do.

I wish little Ollie Oak Marinovich a quick tour through rehab.
lol
Hilarious guys. Hilarious. :rolleyes:
The best jokes have a little bit of social commentary in them. While I appreciate your desire to always 'do what's best' for your son, you're going to have to learn a little moderation and be a little forgiving of yourself and society. If you raise the boy like the Marinovich's did, you can bet that no matter how much breast milk the kid got as a child, he's going to be curious about those things that have been 'taboo' to him for the duration of his childhood.

"Doc, yes I know my wife is having complications, so let's not administer that drug, but let's instead administer another I heard about in this class I took. Thanks."
Women have been having complications for thousands of years without drugs. Why is one necessary now?
The historical level of maternal deaths is probably around 1 in 100 births.[14] Mortality rates reached very high levels in maternity institutions in the 1800s, sometimes climbing to 40 percent of birthgiving women. At the beginning of the 1900s, maternal death rates were around 1 in 100 for live births.[citation needed] The number in 2005 in the United States is 11 in 100,000, a decline by two orders of magnitude,[11] although that figure has begun to rise in recent years, having nearly tripled over the past decade in California.[15] For the United States, 11 in 100,000 is one of the lowest estimates. Maternal deaths in the United States range up to 17 per 100,000 live births.[16]The decline in maternal deaths has been due largely to improved asepsis, fluid management and blood transfusion, and better prenatal care.[citation needed] Recommendations for reducing maternal mortality include access to health care, access to family planning services, and emergency obstetric care, funding and intrapartum care.[17]
Oh gee, thanks for the science. Did you get that from a book?

lol
The best jokes have a little bit of social commentary in them. While I appreciate your desire to always 'do what's best' for your son, you're going to have to learn a little moderation and be a little forgiving of yourself and society. If you raise the boy like the Marinovich's did, you can bet that no matter how much breast milk the kid got as a child, he's going to be curious about those things that have been 'taboo' to him for the duration of his childhood.
Not sure where you are getting the Marinovich comparison from my friend.My kid drinks breast milk and most likely wont go to McDonalds with me. Whoa!! Shocking!

lol
Not sure where you are getting the Marinovich comparison from my friend.My kid drinks breast milk and most likely wont go to McDonalds with me. Whoa!! Shocking!
Part of the same mindset. Just extrapolating.Stand by your principles, but be prepared for the exception, whether that be a little formula or a McNugget or two. He'll be ok. Probably even better for it. You'll get there. This is your first. And don't be so quick to judge others. Maybe Ollie won't either.

People take these internet opinions serious.

I never said my kid won't have formula, although as long as my wife can produce enough milk she is determined to breast feed and I support that. And neither my wife or I frequent McDonalds :shrug:

Otis's delivery here is approaching some of the old time greats in terms of douchery, but I'm on his side anyway. He's mostly right (I mean about being a relaxed parent, that is).
I actually agree with him on being a relaxed parent. His post about letting doctors do whatever they want without the slightest curiosity is bat #### crazy, though.

People take these internet opinions serious.I never said my kid won't have formula, although as long as my wife can produce enough milk she is determined to breast feed and I support that. And neither my wife or I frequent McDonalds :shrug:
This is a long way from "I have a hard time understanding how people justify giving formula to their child"I'm just giving you a hard time. I think you're a reasonably good guy even if you and I are seem to be on completely opposite sides of just about every subject in my recollection. But there are some serious hardline boob-nazis ready to look down upon anyone who dare choose otherwise. So you maybe inadvertently struck a chord.

People take these internet opinions serious.I never said my kid won't have formula, although as long as my wife can produce enough milk she is determined to breast feed and I support that. And neither my wife or I frequent McDonalds :shrug:
This is a long way from "I have a hard time understanding how people justify giving formula to their child"I'm just giving you a hard time. I think you're a reasonably good guy even if you and I are seem to be on completely opposite sides of just about every subject in my recollection. But there are some serious hardline boob-nazis ready to look down upon anyone who dare choose otherwise. So you maybe inadvertently struck a chord.
It's all good. I came off way too string at first, I admit that.Although it has led to a hilarious, even sometimes informative, thread. :hifive:

Otis's delivery here is approaching some of the old time greats in terms of douchery, but I'm on his side anyway. He's mostly right (I mean about being a relaxed parent, that is).
I actually agree with him on being a relaxed parent. His post about letting doctors do whatever they want without the slightest curiosity is bat #### crazy, though.
Also, "relaxed parent" does not mean ignorant, apathetic or un-interested as he was suggesting was his parenting style. later in the thread.

It is very hard work for the mother, no doubt. But with all the amazing benefits for the infant and the mother, I am curious how people justify giving formula to their child. Obviously I am not talking about when it is medically necessary, or the mother can't nurse. But the benefits are staggering.

From wiki

Benefits for the infant

2.1 Greater immune health

2.2 Fewer infections

2.3 Protection from SIDS

2.4 Higher intelligence

2.5 Less diabetes

2.6 Less childhood obesity

2.7 Less tendency to develop allergic diseases (atopy)

2.8 Less necrotizing enterocolitis in premature infants

2.9 Other long term health effects

2.10 Less overweight

Benefits for mothers

3.1 Bonding

3.2 Hormone release

3.3 Weight loss

3.4 Natural postpartum infertility

3.5 Long-term health effects
Since the WHO recommends breast feeding until age two as cited in the wiki article you posted, I assume your wife will be breastfeeding until then right?I mean that would be pretty selfish of her not to.

My cousin was breast fed beyond two. It was freaking WEIRD. There is a point, probably about 8 months in, where it becomes more for the benefit ofthe parent. 2 years is completely screwy and I think pretty much kills any credibility that the WHO has in this area.

My wife says two years doesnt seem abnormal. Nutrients aplenty.

Wife had breast reduction surgery in college and didn't have enough ducts left to nurse or pump. She was told it was a side effect when she had it done but she did it anyway. Not a huge deal to us but certainly would have preferred breast feeding.

Breast feeding was a disaster for Mrs Funk both times. But both boys are healthy, tall, strong and along with Hulkbaby are ready to dominate Minnesota for years. Lacto Nazi's do need to chill.

Since the WHO recommends breast feeding until age two as cited in the wiki article you posted, I assume your wife will be breastfeeding until then right?I mean that would be pretty selfish of her not to.
Well the WHO issues recommendations for the entire world, which includes many undeveloped countries where people should indeed breastfeed up to, and beyond 2 years of age.I think I would more go with the AAp which recommends breastfeeding should be continued for at least the first year of life and beyond for as long as mutually desired by mother and child. :shrug:

Seems like universal condemnation from the FFA if moms decide to breast feed beyond some arbitrary point (anywhere from 8 months to 2 years has been posted).

:unsure:

It's pretty common in our preschool. With the help of Mrs. BL, here is a survey of the kids we have shared a classroom (1st Steps, 2nd steps, and/or 2s) with over the last couple years.

[*]A - breast fed 2 years, stopped because she has a younger brother

[*]F - breast fed 1st year only

[*]J1 - still breast feeding at 34 months

[*]J2 - formula baby

[*]V1 - breast fed 2.5 years, dropped off on her own

[*]L - breast fed 2 years, stopped because she has a younger brother

[*]G - still breast feeding at 30 months

[*]B1 - breast fed 1st year only

[*]V2 - breast fed 1st year only

[*]B2 - formula baby

[*]J3 - formula (twin) baby

[*]B3 - formula (twin) baby

[*]B4 - still breast feeding at 34 months ALONG WITH his newborn brother

[*]R - formula baby

[*]C - still breast feeding at 32 months

[*]K - breast fed 2 years, stopped because he has a younger sister

[*]O - still breast feeding at 36 months

[*]J4 - still breast feeding at 34 months

[*]C2 - breast fed 2 years, stopped because she has a younger brother

[*]M - breast fed 2 years, stopped because he has a younger sister

I got:

20 kids

5 formula babies

15 breast milk

Out of the 15:

5 still nursing (30-36 months)

5 stopped because mom gave birth to a sibling

1 kept nursing even though mom gave birth to a sibling

3 stopped after one year (think that was prolly mom decision)

1 stopped after 2.5 years (child decision)

:popcorn:

What commune do you live on. 36 months? First, you stop counting by months somewhere around 18 months. Second, that's three elfin years old. Damn near Oedipal. You freaking hippies need to be stopped.

The months were to provide precision. You're not opposed to accuracy, are you?

Hippies...none...actors, artists comedians, directors, writers a plenty...about one third of us (myself included) are bankers or work in finance.

Let's see...

musician/dancer - hippie suspects

unknown

director/actress

hand model/artist

dancer/dancer

banker/lawyer

commodities trader/banker

unknown

artist/banker

unknown

project manager/teacher

project manager/teacher

SaHD-Artist/Banker

unknown

CPA/Doctor

Producer/SaHM

Musician/Artist - def hippies, crunchy granola all the way

unknown

banker/banker

banker/SaHM-Model

OK, we do have a couple hippies.

Again. If they can use words to ask for it, they shouldn't be getting the ###.
We've got one 3yo in Floppolinho's class that can put it into writing.eta: to be fair, she uses the boob as a pacifier when the #### hits the fan- not for food. But we've been tempted to ask whether the mom is still lactating.

Last edited by a moderator:
The months were to provide precision. You're not opposed to accuracy, are you?Hippies...none...actors, artists comedians, directors, writers a plenty...about one third of us (myself included) are bankers or work in finance.Let's see...musician/dancer - hippie suspectsunknowndirector/actresshand model/artistdancer/dancerbanker/lawyercommodities trader/bankerunknownartist/bankerunknownproject manager/teacherproject manager/teacherSaHD-Artist/BankerunknownCPA/DoctorProducer/SaHMMusician/Artist - def hippies, crunchy granola all the wayunknownbanker/bankerbanker/SaHM-ModelOK, we do have a couple hippies.
I would guarantee that we are the only people in our entire school who went to formula before 6 months.NYC "artistic types" (including people in finance married to artistic types) = Nor Cal hippies

'Idiot Boxer said:
'the moops said:
'Idiot Boxer said:
'the moops said:
'Otis said:
'Idiot Boxer said:
lol
Part of the same mindset. Just extrapolating.Stand by your principles, but be prepared for the exception, whether that be a little formula or a McNugget or two. He'll be ok. Probably even better for it. You'll get there. This is your first. And don't be so quick to judge others. Maybe Ollie won't either.
:goodposting: Big fan of balance and exposure. What you keep from them becomes the delicious and tantalizing forbidden fruit. Our 4yo has already fairly easily passed through his Oxycodone phase.BTW- once you get to 2 or 3 months, you'll have all the answers and can start the judging. Otis> hey.

Otis,

tell the Mrs that I am getting thirsty. Also inform her I'd like less chatter this time, it's hard to talk while feeding and quite frankly I am not that interested in what she has to say.

The Lacto-nazis need to chill.

So true. I'd be willing to bet the stress induced by the pressure to breastfeed causes far more harm than not breastfeeding does. My wife did breastfeed, so I have no stake in arguing against it's benefits.

I also always hear the long list of benefits, but have never actually seen those arguing for it give the details of the studies...who were they conducted by, were suitable controls in place, and what was the degree of each benefit? Without any of that info, the arguments for it are pretty worthless...breastfeed if it's easy enough that it doesn't cause big problems, otherwise do what's going to allow you to do a good job of parenting in other respects. A depressed Mom and a hungry baby is going to lead to problems too.

'BobbyLayne said:
Seems like universal condemnation from the FFA if moms decide to breast feed beyond some arbitrary point (anywhere from 8 months to 2 years has been posted).

:unsure:

It's pretty common in our preschool. With the help of Mrs. BL, here is a survey of the kids we have shared a classroom (1st Steps, 2nd steps, and/or 2s) with over the last couple years.

[*]A - breast fed 2 years, stopped because she has a younger brother

[*]F - breast fed 1st year only

[*]J1 - still breast feeding at 34 months

[*]J2 - formula baby

[*]V1 - breast fed 2.5 years, dropped off on her own

[*]L - breast fed 2 years, stopped because she has a younger brother

[*]G - still breast feeding at 30 months

[*]B1 - breast fed 1st year only

[*]V2 - breast fed 1st year only

[*]B2 - formula baby

[*]J3 - formula (twin) baby

[*]B3 - formula (twin) baby

[*]B4 - still breast feeding at 34 months ALONG WITH his newborn brother

[*]R - formula baby

[*]C - still breast feeding at 32 months

[*]K - breast fed 2 years, stopped because he has a younger sister

[*]O - still breast feeding at 36 months

[*]J4 - still breast feeding at 34 months

[*]C2 - breast fed 2 years, stopped because she has a younger brother

[*]M - breast fed 2 years, stopped because he has a younger sister

I got:

20 kids

5 formula babies

15 breast milk

Out of the 15:

5 still nursing (30-36 months)

5 stopped because mom gave birth to a sibling

1 kept nursing even though mom gave birth to a sibling

3 stopped after one year (think that was prolly mom decision)

1 stopped after 2.5 years (child decision)

:popcorn:
Super creepy. :kidfromgameofhrones:

The nurse at our pediatrician is still breastfeeding her 4 year old and 2 year old.....but it's only as a little snack before they take a nap. Really creepy.

Wife just got back from taking the baby for her second set of vaccinations. Sort of wishing we had breastfeed like moops now, because then the baby wouldn't be crying right now because she could have foregone these unnatural shots and instead be sucking down everything she needs from that nectar of the gods colostrum.

The nurse at our pediatrician is still breastfeeding her 4 year old and 2 year old.....but it's only as a little snack before they take a nap. Really creepy.
Yeah. That's not breastfeeding. That's foreplay.
We learned this at our 1 week visit to the pediatrician(our first official visit) This is the first child for my wife and I so we're learning and I heard that and was like WTF but played along. Soon as my wife and I got in the car we talked about how creepy it was.She literally said is the baby being breastfed, we said yes, she said "I'm still breastfeeding my 4yr old and 2yr old, they walk up, take a drink and then they know it's nap time. It works great."

:lmao:

This is one of those threads where you can just look at the title and the list of who has posted in it and know exactly what is going to be inside.

'Idiot Boxer said:
moops -> the first time you go buy McDonald's for dinner because things are too hectic to cook dinner one night, i advise against posting about it here.
Not sure the Twin Cities has the McVeggie Sandwich yet...
Yea. There will be no McDonalds for my little guy even if they dud have mcveggie (which they may already have for all I know)
:lmao: Guy takes a huge stance on his kid's health yet gives him a name that will probably endanger his safety for the first 5 years of grade school.

I've been with my wife for 14 years.

She has been pregnant for about 4 of those years.

She has breastfed for about 11 of those years.

Haven't read the whole thread, has anyone mentioned breast feeding is free? That's a good thing.

Secondly, my wife breast fed for like 3 or 6 months for both kids. I would have really hated her to go any longer. I wanted to get back to seeing her as a wife/object of desire, and not just a mom/milk fountain.

Haven't read the whole thread, has anyone mentioned breast feeding is free? That's a good thing.

Secondly, my wife breast fed for like 3 or 6 months for both kids. I would have really hated her to go any longer. I wanted to get back to seeing her as a wife/object of desire, and not just a mom/milk fountain.
YOU GREEDY SELF CENTERED MOTHER^%$#@ YOU!!!! :rant:

Users who are viewing this thread