What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Buffalo Safety-Damar Hamlin is awake and **Bills at Bengals** Game has been Canceled (1 Viewer)

Aikman with the really good point that they were literally trying to save the Bills’ teammate right as they watched on.

These guys may need some serious grief counseling. The NFL is a ****ing monster if they have these guys play within the next 48 hours let alone tonight.
The nfl knew he needed cpr and an aed and still suggested a 5 minute warmup! It’s wild how evil they are.
Truly are just gladiators to them
I probably shouldn't even post this. But, a little bit excessive reactions ... "It's wild how evil they are"? I get it, it's a very serious situation. I never, ever, ever expected a postponement, even if a player died on the field. It's happened before. I know everyone on earth may hate me for saying it, but I just don't get how it's so extrmely obvious that no one can play football. Sometimes a player has a loved one pass away and still makes a rational decision whether to play the next day, or the same day, whatever it may be. Maybe it's different when they see the guy up close. I can 100% understand postponing the game. But I can't understand not understanding not postponing the game.

To be clear. I don't mind if the game is postponed, I'm not saying "how dare they take away my football game!" It just surprises me how unanimous and vehement the reations are.
Because there are actual human beings playing the game who may have just seen a teammate, friend, hell just another human being, potentially die on the field right in front of them
Good point. Which asks the question: if he is in critical condition or worse, heaven forbid, how do these two teams take the field anytime soon in the coming days?
Probably the same way most businesses would resume. It's truly a minority of businesses that would shut down for for a significant period of time.

With all due respect to everyone here, to me the NFL has handled this the best they could. And Espn as well. You do the best you can with the information you have.

And ESPN has not speculated and have handled this respectfully. This is an incredibly unique situation.
Only the “ok, go get an orange slice & come back in 5” part. That was a bad look in that moment.
Was that the NFL's call, or just what the Ref's thought was the best course of action given the information they had?

Aikman with the really good point that they were literally trying to save the Bills’ teammate right as they watched on.

These guys may need some serious grief counseling. The NFL is a ****ing monster if they have these guys play within the next 48 hours let alone tonight.
The nfl knew he needed cpr and an aed and still suggested a 5 minute warmup! It’s wild how evil they are.
I probably shouldn't even post this. But, a little bit excessive reactions ... "It's wild how evil they are"? I get it, it's a very serious situation. I never, ever, ever expected a postponement, even if a player died on the field. It's happened before. I know everyone on earth may hate me for saying it, but I just don't get how it's so extrmely obvious that no one can play football. Sometimes a player has a loved one pass away and still makes a rational decision whether to play the next day, or the same day, whatever it may be. Maybe it's different when they see the guy up close. I can 100% understand postponing the game. But I can't understand not understanding not postponing the game.

To be clear. I don't mind if the game is postponed, I'm not saying "how dare they take away my football game!" It just surprises me how unanimous and vehement the reations are.
Because there are actual human beings playing the game who may have just seen a teammate, friend, hell just another human being, potentially die on the field right in front of them
Good point. Which asks the question: if he is in critical condition or worse, heaven forbid, how do these two teams take the field anytime soon in the coming days?
I can’t stop thinking about that aspect
With all due respect to everyone here, to me the NFL has handled this the best they could. And Espn as well. You do the best you can with the information you have.

And ESPN has not speculated and have handled this respectfully. This is an incredibly unique situation.
Only the “ok, go get an orange slice & come back in 5” part. That was a bad look in that moment.
Except none of us know what information was available at the time.
again, CPR is a tool for only one thing: lack of a heartbeat. In that moment, there was a dead player on the field. (ETA: this was what I’d been told for 12 years, but apparently it can be for a weak heartbeat as well)

The NFL knew that he had been administered CPR, and then AED’d.

It was right then that they said 5 mins. I’m glad they cancelled the game. I’m glad the infrastructure was there for this.

But they made a bad initial call.

ETA: the bad call could have been by a ref. And to be fair, in the immediate aftermath of an unprecedented moment. It’s easy to judge harshly what must have been a horrific moment all around

Last edited:
There is a critical care MD on the sideline whose only role is to intubate and stabilize the player and then ride in ambulance to ER. There is no better place for this to have happened. Lots of misinformation in this thread. Source: I was a NFL UNC
What misinformation?

AED was administered and roughly 9-10 minutes of CPR
The mic is all yours sir

Still can’t believe the NFL wanted to give them a five minute warmup and get back out there.
All I can say is that this is a crazy and unprecedented situation where nobody should know what to do. Suggesting a five minute break is awful in hindsight, but I’m inclined to give the NFL a pass should they carry on sensibly from here.
Nah. If somebody needs cpr and an aed on the field you send everybody to the locker room. That’s just very basic common sense. Nfl just wanted the show to go on, they deserve no mercy here. Goodell makes like 40M a year to make these decisions.
Christian Eriksen collapsed and had to undergo CPR on the field. Play resumed after he was removed from the stadium. This isn't just an NFL thing.

Well in that case the game wasn't resumed until Eriksen was confimred OK and actually spoke to his teammates telling them to go out and play.

Thank you. I don’t understand how anybody can defend this. Bills players were sobbing on the field.
We've all seen lots of injuries where the ambulance was on the field, players were sobbing, and the game continued. I can think of at least half a dozen such games off the top of my head. So can you. AFAIK, this is literally a first. Obviously this situation sucks. Nobody on the field did anything wrong, and unfortunately we encountered a one-in-a-million sports injury. Everybody should back up a little and give folks a little space, including the NFL front office.

Was that the NFL's call, or just what the Ref's thought was the best course of action given the information they had?
Fair point - it could be the refs made a bad call in that moment.

My bad, I hadn’t considered that.

And ESPN has not speculated and have handled this respectfully. This is a incredibly unique situation.
Thanks. I agree. All parties have handled this situation pretty well under the circumstances.

There is speculation out there…and i almost posted (as to what the cause could be).
Instead will just pray for Damar Hamlin and his family…there will be plenty of time to speculate about the game and other stuff.

And ESPN has not speculated and have handled this respectfully. This is a incredibly unique situation.
Thanks. I agree. All parties have handled this situation pretty well under the circumstances.

We are all far less traumatized and have generally reacted with less grace and dignity than the league or ESPN, imo.

Still can’t believe the NFL wanted to give them a five minute warmup and get back out there.
All I can say is that this is a crazy and unprecedented situation where nobody should know what to do. Suggesting a five minute break is awful in hindsight, but I’m inclined to give the NFL a pass should they carry on sensibly from here.
Nah. If somebody needs cpr and an aed on the field you send everybody to the locker room. That’s just very basic common sense. Nfl just wanted the show to go on, they deserve no mercy here. Goodell makes like 40M a year to make these decisions.
Christian Eriksen collapsed and had to undergo CPR on the field. Play resumed after he was removed from the stadium. This isn't just an NFL thing.

Well in that case the game wasn't resumed until Eriksen was confimred OK and actually spoke to his teammates telling them to go out and play.

Thank you. I don’t understand how anybody can defend this. Bills players were sobbing on the field.
We've all seen lots of injuries where the ambulance was on the field, players were sobbing, and the game continued. I can think of at least half a dozen such games off the top of my head. So can you. AFAIK, this is literally a first. Obviously this situation sucks. Nobody on the field did anything wrong, and unfortunately we encountered a one-in-a-million sports injury. Everybody should back up a little and give folks a little space, including the NFL front office.

We’ve seen a lot of situations where a guy got 9 minutes of cpr and an aed? Please enlighten me. This wasn’t a broken leg.

Agree. We should be be talking about what everyone did RIGHT. They saved his life. It's about Damar Hamlin right now and the prayers for him.

I think, if you're looking for things to be hopeful about, a positive is that he got care really quickly. If the heart stops, it's about 4 minutes until permanent brain damage starts happening due to lack of oxygen getting to the brain. They got to him well before that. It's possible he makes a full and complete recovery. Probably not high probability, but it's possible.
Hopefully the same as Eriksen, who came back and played in the WC. You'd think since he's a world class athlete that once past the immediate crisis (hopefully) his capacity for recovery is pretty huge.

I know we all cal the NFL out for their greed and insensitivity but, to be fair, this is unprecedented. They likely didn't know what to do in the moment.
I’m not willing to be fair at all. As awful and horrendous as this is, it 100% should have been a situation that was planned for.

If there wasn’t a plan, then it’s gross incompetence and negligence and worthy of contempt. Especially if their first reaction is to get the game going again rather than consulting with the organizations to make a decision together.

If it was planned for and that was their plan, then Goodell and a large number of people should be fired.

Journalists over the next several days should be demanding to know which it was.
Again, not arguing with anyone but 75% of American households don't have burial plans and life insurance contingencies for a worst case scenario in their own homes. I just don't think it's in the nature of people or businesses to have an outlined plan for something of this magnitude. But I get it: maybe they sure. I'm sure they have a plan in the event of a terrorist attack on a stadium, an earthquake, etc. But this is just something you cantanticipateto the detail of how it occured.
They’re a multi multi billion dollar organization. This isn’t Ed and Nancy barely scraping by with no money or resources to plan ahead.

In 2007, the Buffalo Bills had another player almost die on the field after breaking his neck, so it’s really not like it’s something that was totally unthinkable. There was zero excuse for proceeding the way they did.

I agree.

We are all far less traumatized and have generally reacted with less grace and dignity than the league or ESPN, imo.

Well, maybe not the league in hindsight. But again, that is hindsight.

In 2007, the Buffalo Bills had another player almost die on the field after breaking his neck, so it’s really not like it’s something that was totally unthinkable. There was zero excuse for proceeding the way they did.
A good point also.

And it’s a situation that’s been speculated about for as long as I’ve been alive.

Been reading this thread and a lot of speculation. It would be nice to know who here has medical backgrounds and know what they are talking about and who here is just talking out of their ***

Last edited:
I know we all cal the NFL out for their greed and insensitivity but, to be fair, this is unprecedented. They likely didn't know what to do in the moment.
I’m not willing to be fair at all. As awful and horrendous as this is, it 100% should have been a situation that was planned for.

If there wasn’t a plan, then it’s gross incompetence and negligence and worthy of contempt. Especially if their first reaction is to get the game going again rather than consulting with the organizations to make a decision together.

If it was planned for and that was their plan, then Goodell and a large number of people should be fired.

Journalists over the next several days should be demanding to know which it was.
Again, not arguing with anyone but 75% of American households don't have burial plans and life insurance contingencies for a worst case scenario in their own homes. I just don't think it's in the nature of people or businesses to have an outlined plan for something of this magnitude. But I get it: maybe they sure. I'm sure they have a plan in the event of a terrorist attack on a stadium, an earthquake, etc. But this is just something you cantanticipateto the detail of how it occured.
They’re a multi multi billion dollar organization. This isn’t Ed and Nancy barely scraping by with no money or resources to plan ahead.

Disagree here. This is off the contingency list.

Formula 1 may have a plan for this but not the NFL.

100% agree. Its a tough situation and one that obviously is going to have strong reactions, but there are no real issues I see with the handling of this, especially by ESPN.

Its not the main issue obviously, but I feel so bad for Tee Higgins especially. When I played in HS, I had a collision on a punt return where the other guy got knocked out for a couple seconds maybe 10 and I had to be talked out of not quitting on the spot. I can't imagine what is going through his mind right now. Imagine indirectly (accidently) being the catalyst of something like this.

I'm not taking sides, I agree with a lot of the posts that you have quoted but I also want to applaud you and all the Bills' fans tonight for keeping the rest of us from losing it
Great words and you're right

I can’t stop thinking

again, CPR is a tool for only one thing: lack of a heartbeat.
Stop.....talking....like you know anything.
That isn't even true

Ok. I understand your position. I hope for the best, as I'm sure you do as well. I don't think I've ever seen that many NFL players and coaches so visibly shaken and frightened. Truly frightened. I just don't want to be angry in the moment. Just thankful he is still alive.

This has happened before in the NFL. it is NOT unprecedented. Very rare, yes, but it has happened before.

I can’t stop thinking

That isn't even true
That’s how I learned it. Why else would anyone do CPR?

Not watching, but catching up now.

Is Hamlin’s situation comparable to Darryl Stingley , Marc Buonoconti, or Dennis Byrd’s? Or thought to be worse (immediately life-threatening)?
Worse
Only thing comparable in my sports viewing lifetime was Hank Gathers. Pray for a Happier ending.
Jiri Fisher of the Red Wings…recall watching that game.

With all due respect, if they don’t they’re unprepared to the point of incompetence.

This isn’t the World Darts Championship. It’s a game where the largest, strongest, fittest men in the world run directly into each other at full speed 60-80 times per game. The worst-case scenario isn’t out of the realm of comprehension of anyone with a sense of reality.

Fair points
I posted some kind words about Schefter that i never thought I would
But he stepped right out there when others wouldn't tonight and said please suspend the game
I think a lot of us are discovering some things tonight about our threshold for the NFL

I sure hate these weekends that ride the same day as major holidays, gonna have to plan ahead better next season

100% agree. Its a tough situation and one that obviously is going to have strong reactions, but there are no real issues I see with the handling of this, especially by ESPN.

Its not the main issue obviously, but I feel so bad for Tee Higgins especially. When I played in HS, I had a collision on a punt return where the other guy got knocked out for a couple seconds maybe 10 and I had to be talked out of not quitting on the spot. I can't imagine what is going through his mind right now. Imagine indirectly (accidently) being the catalyst of something like this.
I had the same thought re: Higgins. I still remember when I was a kid and boxer Ray “Boom Boom” Mancini killed a guy in the ring. He didn’t do anything wrong, but it destroyed his career.

Obviously, the biggest concern is that Hamlin makes a full recovery, but I pray for Higgins as well

Ryan Clark on ESPN made a great point that we think of these players as well-paid fantasy assets. At the end of the day though, they’re human beings putting their lives and welfare at risk.

I can’t stop thinking

That isn't even true
That’s how I learned it. Why else would anyone do CPR?
This is the last thing I am going to say to you, cause you are clueless and can't even be told you don't know something.
There are more reasons to do chest compressions than simply "the heart stopped". They can be done if the heart isn't beating strong or fast enough.
Also, when someone has a pulse but needs ventilation, this is also considered CPR.
Now shut up about anything medical, please.

We’ve seen a lot of situations where a guy got 9 minutes of cpr and an aed? Please enlighten me. This wasn’t a broken leg.
I know being a combative know-it-all is your thing, but maybe tone it the **** down tonight, given the circumstances, eh? Good grief.

There is a critical care MD on the sideline whose only role is to intubate and stabilize the player and then ride in ambulance to ER. There is no better place for this to have happened. Lots of misinformation in this thread. Source: I was a NFL UNC

What more can you tell us given the information and knowledge that you have?

There is a dedicated team on the field for just this scenario. Doc has a whole backpack with equipment and meds. I would speculate a cardiac arrhythmia either from the chest hit or just spontaneous. Just because an AED was "administered" doesn't mean a shock was delivered. We don't know if he was intubated or bagged on the field. A lot of unknowns

Just to be clear.....chances that this happened solely because of a football hit are fairly low. We won't know for a bit (perhaps ever?) but I would bet a healthy amount that he had some congenital issue that left him vulnerable.

Absolutely the right thing to suspend play for tonight. I have no clue how they make it up given the timing and importance....but watching CPR on a friend or loved one if you've never seen such a thing before is brutal, and very few people seeing that would be able to effectively do anything in the immediate aftermath.

Users who are viewing this thread