What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Car Plows Through Crowd Engaged in Zombie Walk--Who's Wrong? (1 Viewer)

Who's At Fault?

• Total voters
That's my question, why the #### were they opening the door? Mobs are scary. Mobs dressed as undead or going to be full of idiots.

Do people really think that the right thing to do when a pedestrian is blocking traffic is to run them over?
I don't think anyone is saying it is right. Some are saying it is understandable if a hoard of people are jumping on your car, smashing your windshield and opening your doors when you have your kids with you.

Depends what the accurate timeline of events are.
The slow-mo video shows the timeline pretty clearly. Pedestrians are blocking traffic. The driver pulls forward and starts trying to muscle his way through. Pedestrians respond by tapping on the windows (not smashing them) and one jerk decides to sit on the car's hood. Then the driver just barrels ahead. Nothing happened to justify the driver's actions. No reasonable person could have possibly believed that they were in any danger in the driver's situation.
It was an angry mob of people trying to open the car doors and chanting "flip the car"....clearly a terrifying situation...
Nobody tried to open the car doors. One guy said "flip the car" and the driver couldn't possibly have heard him.
Watch the video again. One guy opened the passenger door of the car.
My fault -- I missed that the first time.

Still, that's after the driver is already running people over.

Do people really think that the right thing to do when a pedestrian is blocking traffic is to run them over?
I don't think anyone is saying it is right. Some are saying it is understandable if a hoard of people are jumping on your car, smashing your windshield and opening your doors when you have your kids with you.

Depends what the accurate timeline of events are.
The slow-mo video shows the timeline pretty clearly. Pedestrians are blocking traffic. The driver pulls forward and starts trying to muscle his way through. Pedestrians respond by tapping on the windows (not smashing them) and one jerk decides to sit on the car's hood. Then the driver just barrels ahead. Nothing happened to justify the driver's actions. No reasonable person could have possibly believed that they were in any danger in the driver's situation.
It was an angry mob of people trying to open the car doors and chanting "flip the car"....clearly a terrifying situation...
Nobody tried to open the car doors. One guy said "flip the car" and the driver couldn't possibly have heard him.
Now imagine the driver is blind.

Why weren't the streets blocked off with barricades and detours posted? How long were the walkers expected to block traffic?

Seems like confusion was the problem here.

This was during comic con? Driver should know better. That's like trying to drive down bourbon street during Mardi Gras

It's the most obvious thing in the world something organized is going on there. Find a different route, or ####ing wait.

I'm sure people tried to tell him that, to no avail for obvious reasons. No way in hell should the deaf be allowed to drive legally. Insane that you're legally allowed to operate tons of fast rolling steel and glass without all your necessary senses available.
But it's not organized. The rules of the event specifically said not to block traffic. This was a bunch of jackwagons just generally being obnoxious.

Do we know the race of all parties involved so we can properly apply the institutionalize racism filter?

That's my question, why the #### were they opening the door? Mobs are scary. Mobs dressed as undead or going to be full of idiots.
The driver is laying on the horn and hitting people with his car and not stopping I would open the door too if I were there.

Why weren't the streets blocked off with barricades and detours posted? How long were the walkers expected to block traffic?

It is worth noting that guidelines on the official ZombieWalk site state, "Do not block foot or auto traffic, as it is a safety risk and can also be illegal depending on the situation."
They were likely blocking traffic illegally.
well they were asking to be run over then.

It is worth noting that guidelines on the official ZombieWalk site state, "Do not block foot or auto traffic, as it is a safety risk and can also be illegal depending on the situation."
well they were asking to be run over then.
Were they?

Last edited by a moderator:
So apparently he was there for several minutes waiting to get through according to the story. I find 0 fault with the driver. Mob mentality and thinking they can do whatever they want at its worst.

Seemed that way. Bad organization on the ZombieWalk's part, short fuse on the driver (or maybe he really did panic. deaf driver, surrounded by a mob of peope, no idea why they're there but you don't see barracades or police around)

Recipe for something bad to happen.

They didn't start pounding on the car until he started pushing through the crowd. If he had just waited five minutes no one would have been hurt.
If they had just stopped walking and let him through, no one gets hurt then either, right?

So apparently he was there for several minutes waiting to get through according to the story. I find 0 fault with the driver. Mob mentality and thinking they can do whatever they want at its worst.
[SIZE=10.5pt]driving through a crowd and hitting people is acceptable because he had to wait "several minutes"? Jesus. Someone remind me not to hold you up. [/SIZE]

Seemed that way. Bad organization on the ZombieWalk's part, short fuse on the driver (or maybe he really did panic. deaf driver, surrounded by a mob of peope, no idea why they're there but you don't see barracades or police around)

Recipe for something bad to happen.
[SIZE=10.5pt]what does deaf have anything to do with it? He was surrounded when he drove his car in to the middle of crowd. Not before. [/SIZE]

The driver is laying on the horn and hitting people with his car and not stopping I would open the door too if I were there.
Yeah, seems like the driver instigated with creeping forward and laying on the horn. You're not driving a bulldozer, guy. Once that started people started messing with him.

Either wait or turn around. Or you know, smash everyone I guess.

Why were there no cops directing traffic or putting up detour signs? I have no clue what a Zombie walk is though. I think my reaction would have been to reverse instead but that's just me. Either way I wouldn't want those things surrounding my car.

Oh no he had to wait several minutes for the crowd to clear. Hope he never gets stopped by a train.

For the pro Zombie guys, is it okay if I gather a few friends go down and camp out in the middle of Main Street downtown and expect nothing to happen?

Just because you are in a group or in some convention or in a big bicycle pack, you don't throw laws and rules of the road out the window. HTH

[SIZE=10.5pt]driving through a crowd and hitting people is acceptable because he had to wait "several minutes"? Jesus. Someone remind me not to hold you up. [/SIZE]
If only we people whose job it was to enforce laws.

Why were there no cops directing traffic or putting up detour signs? I have no clue what a Zombie walk is though. I think my reaction would have been to reverse instead but that's just me. Either way I wouldn't want those things surrounding my car.
A zombie walk is a group of nerds getting together to put on makeup, block traffic and vandalize a deaf families vehicle.

For the pro Zombie guys, is it okay if I gather a few friends go down and camp out in the middle of Main Street downtown and expect nothing to happen?

Just because you are in a group or in some convention or in a big bicycle pack, you don't throw laws and rules of the road out the window. HTH
I'd probably call the cops on you if I wanted to drive through. Then open fire with my AK.

A zombie walk is a group of nerds getting together to put on makeup, block traffic and vandalize a deaf families vehicle.
Yep. No big loss if a few get injured. They can still sit in their basement and play WOW.

bingo. was just going to post something similar.

so i can stand in front of a car, illegally blocking traffic. he can start honking at me to move out of the way. he can slowly start creeping up to pass me, honking to alert me to move. at this point i can then bang his car and windows, hop on his hood, smash his windshield and open his passenger door (with his kids inside) and if he speeds away at this point, he's at fault? no freaking way.

No. Inching forward and honking your horn is acceptable because he had to wait "several minutes", particularly since many of those people in the video are simply standing there and seem to have no intention of moving.

As to your "driving through a crowd and hitting people", that occurred AFTER two idiots sat on the hood of his car and others starting hitting at his windows. And yes, it's acceptable to drive through a crowd in that situation if you fear for your safety, which is perfectly justifiable when people are surrounding your vehicle, sitting on it, trying to get in, etc.

Even if you want to call the guy an ####### for inching forward and honking, that action isn't illegal. And it certainly doesn't justify ANYONE sitting on his car or trying to open a door to get in. Once that happens, all bets are off and he's able to do what he needs to in order to get away safely.

Now, if he had done what he did simply because no one moved after inching forward and honking, then it's 100% on the driver. However, since that isn't what happened AT ALL, then your comment makes no sense whatsoever.

Of course that's not okay. I'd expect drivers to give you some lip, and I'd expect the police to show up at some point. But no, I wouldn't expect people to run you over.

Because they don't go through proper procedures to get permits and such. At the very least, the event organizers should've had their own people out there telling people to only cross streets when allowed, and such.

Walking across an intersection is not "illegally blocking traffic." The cops said that the pedestrians had right of way.

I'm plowing the next jay walker I see that's in my way. Screw them.

Tough call.. Looks like a "smoo" option for me. The driver should have turned around or just waited it out. If you put your car that close to a crowd blowing your horn, you should have a reasonable suspicion that it could turn ugly.

That being said, the people in the walk were douchbags for just sitting there and blocking traffic thinking it's funny.

I vote they are all losers.

Yeah, seems like the driver instigated with creeping forward and laying on the horn. You're not driving a bulldozer, guy. Once that started people started messing with him.

The driver should not have honked and creeped forward, but that was not threatening. Trying to open the door and jumping on his hood had to quite frightening...

That wouldn't be very smart. Why do you hate jay walkers so much?

[SIZE=10.5pt]what does deaf have anything to do with it? He was surrounded when he drove his car in to the middle of crowd. Not before. [/SIZE]
Well, it didn't *help* that he couldn't communicate with the source of his confusion/stress to find out what the heck was going on.

I don't think either side is right/wrong. I think it's just a ####ty situation and the ZW could have done better to prevent this. Like maybe coattail a 5k or parade?

Do they actually believe they are , or act like they are zombies? Or do they just walk around? I didn't see any crazy costumes or anything.

Then you're going to jail.

However, if that jay walker sits on the hood of your car or opens your car door, then it's actually ok for you to drive away, even if it injures him.

HTH.

Do they actually believe they are , or act like they are zombies like some of these vampire covens? Or do they just walk around? I didn't see any crazy costumes or anything.
I think they just play dress up and kind of wander around. I'm not really sure what possesses someone to do it.

The driver should not have honked and creeped forward, but that was not threatening. Trying to open the door and jumping on his hood had to quite frightening...
The passenger door opening attempt happened post plowing. Sitting on the bumper was a ##### move, sure. Probably a great time to call the cops if you hadn't already as the driver.

The passenger door opening attempt happened post plowing. Sitting on the bumper was a ##### move, sure. Probably a great time to call the cops if you hadn't already as the driver.
are you watching the same video as the rest of us. he didn't "plow" through the people until AFTER his windshield was hit and door opened.

What's up with the guy in the bicycle taxi? He just starts leering into the guys car...seems to have instigated the whole thing....

Users who are viewing this thread