What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Chargers at DaRaiders*** (+3) 48.5u (1 Viewer)

:lmao:   I’m not the one claiming post game interviews mean anything - you are.  And you are picking and choosing which parts are meaningful.

I'm not picking or choosing -- don't embellish, please -- I'm simply saying it's fairly obvious in those interviews what went down.  On more than one account.

Incorrect. There was 4 seconds left on the play clock when the TO was called. It had no effect on their ability to run out the clock. Try again.
I'm talking about the Chargers taking a TO when the Raiders, of all teams btw, were willing to let this thing go, and both move on.  

Your 4 seconds has nothing to do with it.

They def aren’t running it on 4th down there. By far the logical thing to do then would be to punt it deep and take the tie.

but a punt could be blocked, bad snap etc. if you aren't kicking a long FG for fear of being blocked, same risks apply to punt (probably lower pct though)

For those not buying Staley comment about getting defense right, he did change defense after timeout...but he got the defense wrong 

@EmmanuelAcho: Brandon Staley took the timeout because he out smarted himself. 

There’s one player missing on the #Chargers defense after the timeout. That missing player was the difference. See for yourself https://twitter.com/EmmanuelAcho/status/1480414433838919681/video/1

Last edited by a moderator:
For those not buying Staley comment about getting defense right, he did change defense after timeout...but he he got the defense wrong 

@EmmanuelAcho: Brandon Staley took the timeout because he out smarted himself. 

There’s one player missing on the #Chargers defense after the timeout. That missing player was the difference. See for yourself https://twitter.com/EmmanuelAcho/status/1480414433838919681/video/1
I definitely agree their D play call was dumb.  There was almost zero chance Raiders were passing the ball there.

Literally, nobody is questioning that 4th and 1 1/2 from their own 18 call.  No need to high five it buddy.

Consoling him for thinking one of the worst calls ever seen (the above) was not as bad as a later awful call (which cost them the playoffs), is like patting a lineman on the butt going back to the sideline . . . who just gave up a strip-sack and the game.

We'll get em next time/year?
Bull Honkey Frogsbreath,  lots of folks calling for Staley to be fired after he called timeout. 

-It's too bad you sometimes allow petty snips between you and others get in the way of an excellent observation that was shared by two people and had almost nothing to do with you FD&S 😆

The timeout did not completely alter the outcome. In fact it seems wise the Chargers wanted to have the proper Defense to guard against the run, apparently that personnel group isn't very good since they ran whatever Defense they called on 3rd and 4 after the timeout.

It's their poor rush defense when they needed it the most.

Take a deep frogs breath and relax, this was an excellent game and all narratives are fun to discuss, I understand why folks jump on Staley and the timeout, Staley going for it on his own 18, there will be many in the media that light him up today. A few of us are focusing on the rush defense at the end, all of it in a blender is what leads to the 35-32 OT Thriller in Vegas on the last game of the last weekend of the 2021 NFL regular season, doesn't get much better than that. 

I'm talking about the Chargers taking a TO when the Raiders, of all teams btw, were willing to let this thing go, and both move on.  

Your 4 seconds has nothing to do with it.
The Raiders had to run a play, call a TO, or take a penalty in 4 seconds. Because of the play clock. Therefore the TO by LAC saved a maximum of 4 seconds. You get that right? Those 4 seconds saved did not impact the Raiders ability or inability to run out the clock. This isn’t hard.

but a punt could be blocked, bad snap etc. if you aren't kicking a long FG for fear of being blocked, same risks apply to punt (probably lower pct though)
Could. But it’s much less likely than a missed 55+ yard fg as you say. Especially since the Chargers have little incentive to block it.

Had the timeout not been called, I thought the Raiders would have just run it on 4th down as well and give the ball back to the Chargers, which the Chargers would then down it, game over.

"Bisaccia acknowledged the Raiders did have conversations about settling for a tie, which would have gotten both the Raiders and Chargers into the postseason."

1st and 10 at the Chargers 45 (with 2 mins).  Loss of 1 YARD and NO TO taken. 

Then they bleed the clock down to its entirety and snap it at 1:20ish.

2nd and 11 and they get 7 making it 3rd and 4 from the 39, essentially a 56 yarder (which is NOT needed, nor the risk therein).

AFTER that the game could've been over (38 seconds left), and CLEARLY LV was NOT taking TOs. 

All of a sudden, YOUNG SHELDON takes a TO, which both Al and Chris are shocked by, forcing the hand of a team that was about to let them into the playoffs with them.  And of all teams, the Raiders extending a hand???

So you don't think after Sheldon calls a TO on them, the Raiders didn't decided to instead send his ### back to LA for summer school?

Please.

Had the timeout not been called, I thought the Raiders would have just run it on 4th down as well and give the ball back to the Chargers, which the Chargers would then down it, game over.
You mean if the Raiders hadn’t converted the first down? The timeout didn’t (or shouldn’t have) had any bearing on the Raiders mindset. And I don’t see any scenario where the Raiders give the ball back to the Chargers at the 35 with time left.

"Bisaccia acknowledged the Raiders did have conversations about settling for a tie, which would have gotten both the Raiders and Chargers into the postseason."

1st and 10 at the Chargers 45 (with 2 mins).  Loss of 1 YARD and NO TO taken. 

Then they bleed the clock down to its entirety and snap it at 1:20ish.

2nd and 11 and they get 7 making it 3rd and 4 from the 39, essentially a 56 yarder (which is NOT needed, nor the risk therein).

AFTER that the game could've been over (38 seconds left), and CLEARLY LV was NOT taking TOs. 

All of a sudden, YOUNG SHELDON takes a TO, which both Al and Chris are shocked by, forcing the hand of a team that was about to let them into the playoffs with them.  And of all teams, the Raiders extending a hand???

So you don't think after Sheldon calls a TO on them, the Raiders didn't decided to instead send his ### back to LA for summer school?

Please.
THERE WAS FOUR SECONDS ON THE PLAY CLOCK. For the love of God please acknowledge this and that you understand how the play clock matters in a football game. No the game was not over if he doesn’t take a timeout. The Raiders still run their 3rd down play. Or call their own TO. Or take a delay of game penalty. Due to the rules of football TO conclusively 1000% did not stop the Raiders from running out the game prior to that 3rd down play or any play after. Try to understand that.

THERE WAS FOUR SECONDS ON THE PLAY CLOCK. For the love of God please acknowledge this and that you understand how the play clock matters in a football game. No the game was not over if he doesn’t take a timeout. The Raiders still run their 3rd down play. Or call their own TO. Or take a delay of game penalty. Due to the rules of football TO conclusively 1000% did not stop the Raiders from running out the game prior to that 3rd down play or any play after. Try to understand that.
And try to understand there is a one in a thousand chance of the Chargers winning that thing with some seconds left.  And beyond that, when you consider the Raiders saying let's call it, buy a lottery ticket Young Sheldon defender.

Assuming they stopped them.....You think running it on 4th was less risky than punting?  I think they would have punted it in to the end zone to let more time run off the clock and push the Chargers back to the 20.  Basically every scenario we play out is making assumptions about the Chargers defense not sucking a turd.  But they did.

And yes, I thought that call for going for it on 4th down from their 18 (or whatever it was) was nuts.  I mean, I loved watching it because I had no rooting interest but it seemed really crazy.

Assuming they stopped them.....You think running it on 4th was less risky than punting?  I think they would have punted it in to the end zone to let more time run off the clock and push the Chargers back to the 20.  Basically every scenario we play out is making assumptions about the Chargers defense not sucking a turd.  But they did.
Risk a blocked punt when the game was going to be over?  I feel like the Raiders coach pretty much said as much in the press conference that they were content to running it out.

I don't think the Chargers would have run another play had they got the ball back, why would they risk anything at that point.

Why didn't they take a knee instead of lining up to run it up the gut pre timeout!?!?!!! Hmmmmmmmm 

Glad I went to bed

:lmao:

Why on earth would they have done that? They wouldn't have had to run another play (unless the Chargers called another TO  :lol: ).

And try to understand there is a one in a thousand chance of the Chargers winning that thing with some seconds left.  And beyond that, when you consider the Raiders saying let's call it, buy a lottery ticket Young Sheldon defender.
I cannot fathom being this clueless and/or stubborn about something so blatantly incorrect. You are to this thread what you think Brandon Staley is to coaching. I think you’re beyond help.

Get over your 4 seconds, that's not even close to any difference or the point at hand.

Hell, the Raiders could've had Mariotta run around back there for your four precious seconds if needed, game over.  Both go to the playoffs.

Now, I think only one team made it, but let me check first (without trying to get cute and call a TO ... or go for it on 4th and more than 1 from my own 18 with a 5'6" RB up the middle.

Is it cool if I get back to you on the magical 4 seconds?  Let me get my analytics guys first, k?

Call the TO and force them to kick it earlier knowing that a miss puts the Chargers in a good position to potentially win.

a punt would mean SD would have to go 60-70 yards with no TOs and then try to stop the clock in 20 seconds  for a shot to kick
Yes, you're right. It was late when I posted and I was having trouble thinking it all through.

In the event that Raiders fail to convert the third down, Chargers would call timeout less because it would give them a chance to win and more because it would force the Raiders to think twice about attempting a 55+ FG. If there are 5 seconds left, it's worth trying it because the upside of improving your playoff seeding is worth the (very small) risk that it could be blocked and returned for a TD. But if there are 30 seconds left, then you have to factor in the risk that Herbert will manage to pull yet another ridiculous throw out of his ### and put them in a position to win. So a TO probably makes them punt, at which point the Chargers take a knee and go to the playoffs

I thought Oakland having Mariota run both 1st and 2nd Down coming out in the 4th up 29-22 and looking to drop the hammer and put them away, then Carr is out of rhythm and expected to just convert 3rd Down, they end up Punting and the Chargers drive the length of the field. 

I thought that was a poor decision by the Oakland OC to try and incorporate that into the offense so late in the game. Despite that they overcome and win the game but these types of decisions could easily cost them in the next round. 

Get over your 4 seconds, that's not even close to any difference or the point at hand.

Hell, the Raiders could've had Mariotta run around back there for your four precious seconds if needed, game over.  Both go to the playoffs.

Now, I think only one team made it, but let me check first (without trying to get cute and call a TO ... or go for it on 4th and more than 1 from my own 18 with a 5'6" RB up the middle.

Is it cool if I get back to you on the magical 4 seconds?  Let me get my analytics guys first, k?
The 4 seconds was the impact of the timeout which is what this entire thing is about. And yes I agree the 4 seconds are negligible as was the calling of the timeout. That’s the point. 

And yes, I thought that call for going for it on 4th down from their 18 (or whatever it was) was nuts.  I mean, I loved watching it because I had no rooting interest but it seemed really crazy.
Yes, this is what everyone should be talking about. Maybe their atrocious run D. Or their terrible penalties. Or terrible drops. Or Herbert's heroics.

Really, anything but this TO.

Yes, you're right. It was late when I posted and I was having trouble thinking it all through.

In the event that Raiders fail to convert the third down, Chargers would call timeout less because it would give them a chance to win and more because it would force the Raiders to think twice about attempting a 55+ FG. If there are 5 seconds left, it's worth trying it because the upside of improving your playoff seeding is worth the (very small) risk that it could be blocked and returned for a TD. But if there are 30 seconds left, then you have to factor in the risk that Herbert will manage to pull yet another ridiculous throw out of his ### and put them in a position to win. So a TO probably makes them punt, at which point the Chargers take a knee and go to the playoffs
Yes I think if the Raiders don’t convert it gets even more interesting because of what you just said. Does LAC call a TO to dare LV to kick? Or do they let it run and hope LV calls a truce and doesn’t take a TO and kick with 3 seconds left? Very compelling strategies to consider.

Risk a blocked punt when the game was going to be over?  I feel like the Raiders coach pretty much said as much in the press conference that they were content to running it out.

I don't think the Chargers would have run another play had they got the ball back, why would they risk anything at that point.

Yeah, I'm not sure how it would have played out - a win by LAC there would have them playing the Bengals, right?  Maybe avoiding KC would have been a reason if they felt they had enough time and that other TO.  No clue but I feel confident they wouldn't run it on 4th down and chance it.  A punt isn't that much more risky than a run and that would essentially assure the Chargers just take a knee.

They would have had to at least snap it on 4th down

OMG, NO WAY!!  I don't know what would've happened then, I'm sorry.  Would Mariotta run around to run out the clock, or wait a squib punt?  Or just bomb one into the endzone and I think that's your 4 seconds.  So many options, so many ways to tie, I can't count them all.

You're right, the Raiders were doomed without that timeout from YOUNG SHELDON. 

Great call by Brandon, just getting the best young QB in a decade (or more) of NFL into the playoffs. 

For Staley to suck up his baby pride and ego and make sure that kind of talent gets playoff experience???

INVALUABLE.  Genius. 

Those are the kind of decisions that will get them there.  Like they've always done.

Yeah, I'm not sure how it would have played out - a win by LAC there would have them playing the Bengals, right?  Maybe avoiding KC would have been a reason if they felt they had enough time and that other TO.  No clue but I feel confident they wouldn't run it on 4th down and chance it.  A punt isn't that much more risky than a run and that would essentially assure the Chargers just take a knee.
If they had tied, Raiders would have played the Chiefs and Chargers would have played the Bills. Whichever team won was going to play the Bengals.

OMG, NO WAY!!  I don't know what would've happened then, I'm sorry.  Would Mariotta run around to run out the clock, or wait a squib punt?  Or just bomb one into the endzone and I think that's your 4 seconds.  So many options, so many ways to tie, I can't count them all.

You're right, the Raiders were doomed without that timeout from YOUNG SHELDON. 

Great call by Brandon, just getting the best young QB in a decade (or more) of NFL into the playoffs. 

For Staley to suck up his baby pride and ego and make sure that kind of talent gets playoff experience???

INVALUABLE.  Genius. 

Those are the kind of decisions that will get them there.  Like they've always done.
He's wrong. You're wrong. The 4 seconds is a non-factor.

Maybe the problem is people don't understand the rules?

He's wrong. You're wrong. The 4 seconds is a non-factor.

Maybe the problem is people don't understand the rules?
I know he's wrong, at this point it's just bait.  Humpback's should know better.

Go further back in thread, I'm not wrong, I'm just having fun at this point.

This is basically South Park (gang of local long-time posters) not letting their team, whoever it is for each, Broncos / John Elway / Super Chargers / Herbert, and includes any iBuddy, they just go and the troops rally in the shark pond, right or wrong.  

Cartman is....I won't say (I'll get banned), but he came in like he was setting things straight, having not watched on second of that 2nd half, btw.

And we will combatted til the end, it's hilarious.

The idea -- and I have no idea if this is true, just Barnwell's speculation -- is that Staley knew he was going to have to stop the Raiders on third down. He called the TO for whatever reason he did, presumably because he didn't like the formation they had. But he called it at 38 seconds so that, if the Raiders didn't convert there and were out of FG range, they would just be able to run out the clock.

In other words, he wanted to call the TO but he waited until it wouldn't have any impact on the outcome of the game
Ok, the above is what I was missing reading the initial quote only - which seemed to give a timing-based rationale for calling time out. If that was secondary to an actual defensive formation motive, I understand.

I know he's wrong, at this point it's just bait.  Humpback's should know better.

Go further back in thread, I'm not wrong, I'm just having fun at this point.

This is basically South Park (gang of local long-time posters) not letting their team / John Elway / Super Chargers / Herbert (which includes any iBuddy), go.  The troops rally in the shark pond. 

And we will combatted til the end, it hilarious.  Armor and everything, they've been called to the fight.
By “He’s wrong” humpback means that the guy who said that the Raiders would have to snap it on 4th down is wrong about that. By “you’re wrong” he means you’re wrong about pretty much everything. Except that the 4 seconds don’t matter. Which is the point. The TO that saved 4 secs didn’t matter. Humpback correct me if I’m wrong about what you meant.

What changed their thinking was they could no longer run out the clock.  DUH.
This is you saying the timeout impacted the Raiders ability to run out the clock. Which is blatantly untrue. You’ve said so yourself in a variety of creative (and unnecessary) ways that the Raiders could have ran out the 4 seconds that the timeout saved. So do you now agree that the timeout didn’t matter?

This is you saying the timeout impacted the Raiders ability to run out the clock. Which is blatantly untrue. You’ve said so yourself in a variety of creative (and unnecessary) ways that the Raiders could have ran out the 4 seconds that the timeout saved. So do you now agree that the timeout didn’t matter?
Run out the clock, technically, to zero?  LOL, no.  But if you think they weren't willing to say, let's call this and move on, explain how those last two minutes were about winning and not tying.

I laid my case out, your turn, Mr 4 Seconds.

FTR: And I mainly want to do his for Hogfish because he's right on some of these key points. In fact Dan O on the ESPN morning show did a quick retraction on some of his opinions on live TV after watching the press conferences from both coaches Raiders first followed by the Chargers

-Raiders coach says they were thinking about the tie and were not likely going to run a 4th Down play or even try a FG if they didn't gain much yardage on 3rd and 4...but the Chargers did call a timeout and here is where we catch Staley in a complete bold face lie. 

-Staley claims he wanted to get his run Defense in and that would be alright if he had the 4-2-5 they roll in as their base but he pulled one of the LBs, going 4-1-6 and had the Safety fill that empty LB spot, both #44 and #24 block themselves out of the run play by Jacobs and because of the yards gained, the Raiders opted to punch the Bolts right out of the Playoffs, making the game feel like a Playoff game with elimination on the line and now the Raiders have some momentum going into Cinci next week. 

@Harry Frogfish

Run out the clock, technically, to zero?  LOL, no.  But if you think they weren't willing to say, let's call this and move on, explain how those last two minutes were about winning and not tying.

I laid my case out, your turn, Mr 4 Seconds.
Well they kicked a fg for the win so that’s a pretty decent clue for you. I think they were perfectly content to tie once they crossed midfield and established complete control, as in highly unlikely to lose. But if there was a super low risk way to win they would take it. Which happened and they took it. The timeout wasn’t a factor in any of that process.

-Staley claims he wanted to get his run Defense in and that would be alright if he had the 4-2-5 they roll in as their base but he pulled one of the LBs, going 4-1-6 and had the Safety fill that empty LB spot, both #44 and #24 block themselves out of the run play by Jacobs and because of the yards gained, the Raiders opted to punch the Bolts out of the Playoffs, making the game feel like a Playoff and they have some momentum going into Cinci next week. 
Yes, this is one criticism of Staley that seems plausible to me: he got psyched out by the Raiders' initial shotgun formation and subbed in a safety instead of a LB, and as a result the Chargers were less positioned to stop the Jacobs run. So it wasn't so much calling the TO as what he did after calling it.

No idea if that's what actually happened, but it's a lot more plausible than the claim that the TO caused some sort of psychological shift in the Raiders.

FTR: And I mainly want to do his for Hogfish because he's right on some of these key points. In fact Dan O on the ESPN morning show did a quick retraction on some of his opinions on live TV after watching the press conferences from both coaches Raiders first followed by the Chargers

-Raiders coach says they were thinking about the tie and were not likely going to run a 4th Down play or even try a FG if they didn't gain much yardage on 3rd and 4...but the Chargers did call a timeout and here is where we catch Staley in a complete bold face lie. 

-Staley claims he wanted to get his run Defense in and that would be alright if he had the 4-2-5 they roll in as their base but he pulled one of the LBs, going 4-1-6 and had the Safety fill that empty LB spot, both #44 and #24 block themselves out of the run play by Jacobs and because of the yards gained, the Raiders opted to punch the Bolts out of the Playoffs, making the game feel like a Playoff and they have some momentum going into Cinci next week. 

@Harry Frogfish
Staley thinking the Raiders were going to pass is a realllllllly bad assessment by him if true and if thats the formation they were in then it does seem to be true. Unless the Raiders also added to their formation with more wrs or speed.

Well they kicked a fg for the win so that’s a pretty decent clue for you. I think they were perfectly content to tie once they crossed midfield and established complete control, as in highly unlikely to lose. But if there was a super low risk way to win they would take it. Which happened and they took it. The timeout wasn’t a factor in any of that process.
AND THEY CALLED A TIMEOUT TO DO IT......

:fullcircle:

I thought @Capella was over the top calling for Staley's head but now after listening to the press conferences and the fact Staley is lying about his intentions to go with his best run defense after the time out...I would have this guy on a very short leash. 

Despite being the red headed step child in Los Angeles vs the popularity of the Rams in the local market, the Bolts are one of the better jobs if and when its open because you already have the QB thing figured out. Herbert has the arm and throws, he just needs a good leader to help him study film and tear defenses apart, he has all the tools and he's not ignorant either when he is leading the offense, makes some pretty good decisions. 

Who could LAC get to come in and push them into the Playoffs immediately? I think they need a veteran coach who has already shows the ability to win in previous stints and not some hot shot OC/DC type.   

Yes, this is one criticism of Staley that seems plausible to me: he got psyched out by the Raiders' initial shotgun formation and subbed in a safety instead of a LB, and as a result the Chargers were less positioned to stop the Jacobs run. So it wasn't so much calling the TO as what he did after calling it.

No idea if that's what actually happened, but it's a lot more plausible than the claim that the TO caused some sort of psychological shift in the Raiders.
Some guy was linked thru twitter earlier in the thread and breaks down the play, shows that 1 LB was missing that was on the field when it was initially 3rd and 4, after the timeout he isn't on the field and the Chargers pretty much run into the line and block themselves out of the tackle, pretty good breakdown by whoever had the video clip.

I thought @Capella was over the top calling for Staley's head but now after listening to the press conferences and the fact Staley is lying about his intentions to go with his best run defense after the time out...I would have this guy on a very short leash. 

Despite being the red headed step child in Los Angeles vs the popularity of the Rams in the local market, the Bolts are one of the better jobs if and when its open because you already have the QB thing figured out. Herbert has the arm and throws, he just needs a good leader to help him study film and tear defenses apart, he has all the tools and he's not ignorant either when he is leading the offense, makes some pretty good decisions. 

Who could LAC get to come in and push them into the Playoffs immediately? I think they need a veteran coach who has already shows the ability to win in previous stints and not some hot shot OC/DC type.   
Firing a coach after one year is almost always a mistake, unless he is a complete disaster and/or really horribly mismanages relationships with the owner, assistants and team.

WRONG.  Absolutely 100% false.  The Coach and his QB have said as much.  It's all there, indisputable.

I don't ever care that much anymore, it's just funny, this legion of South Parkers that have to defend their bros here or whatever, hilarious.

The chargers coach is painfully over his head as a head NFL coach.

This was apparent throughout the game and the timeout was just the cherry on top.

Seemed desperate the entire game, could not figure out how to get Ekeler more involved, no game awareness and just baffling calls that were not just aggressive but reckless.

The chargers are a heads and shoulders more talented football team than the raiders, but we’re coached down which was a pattern throughout the season.

LOOK AT YOU, you were all over me for having that exact same take.  You jumped in bed with Judge Smails, called me names, AND I also you took Hot Sauce Guy bed, which is really something. 

But CAPELLA (who is great, btw), NOW has got you to change your tune.

This place is something else.

Users who are viewing this thread