What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (8 Viewers)

Bobcat10 said:
Well Seneca is at least one of the new Browns QBs. Late 2011 draft pick. I guess you can't really complain much about that, especially if it's a 6th.
Agree.
Trading Shaun Rogers is in my opinion crazy.
Agree here also.All the talk around the league is about McCoy and Suh atop the draft and how dominant they are, blah, blah blah. We already have a guy like that and rumors are we want to trade him? Doesn't sound right to me. Unless the Browns are blown away with an offer he should stay.
But we all know the problem with Rogers...unless people make it up, he freelances way too much, especially for the 3-4 liking. Now, he's surely ultra talented, no doubt about that, but his propensity to make those big plays also seem to cause other issues. I'm not sure it's a coincidence that our run defense improved when he got hurt last year. He'll stuff one or two runs a game, get some pressures and maybe a sack, but how much of the 150 yds we give up could be taken away if he stayed home more often?

Cleveland Browns release Derek Anderson

Cleveland.com

March 09, 2010, 2:47PM

The long-expected end for Derek Anderson came this afternoon when the Browns announced they released the one-time Pro Bowl quarterback.

In a statement, coach Eric Mangini said, "I want to thank Derek for everything that he gave to the Cleveland Browns organization over the last five years. He did everything we asked of him and it was a pleasure to coach such a competitive person. I want to wih him all the best in the future."

The release came less than 24 hours after the Browns traded for Seattle backup quarterback Seneca Wallace.

Anderson was due a $2 million roster bonus on March 19 and was scheduled to earn a base salary of $7.45 million in 2010, the last of a three-year contract he signed after his Pro Bowl-alternate season of 2006.

Look for Anderson to find a team rather quickly now that no team has to inherit that contract.
Link

Last edited by a moderator:
I always liked Derek. Hopefully, a change of scenery serves him well.

I imagine Arizona will take a look at Anderson, and I'd like to see him on the field with Fitz, Breaston, Doucet.... you know, WR's who can actually catch.

Good luck Derek.

I always liked Derek. Hopefully, a change of scenery serves him well.I imagine Arizona will take a look at Anderson, and I'd like to see him on the field with Fitz, Breaston, Doucet.... you know, WR's who can actually catch. Good luck Derek.
I hear ya. He can probably do decent again for some teams, in spurts possibly Kelly Holcomb styles. Not what they are trying to build here though...terrible fit. That said, I was all for jettisoning him out of here after his one good half season. Too much writing on the wall....even though Quinn was an unknown at that point I thought that would have been the right move. Hell, Quinn might still be an unknown right now.

I always liked Derek. Hopefully, a change of scenery serves him well.I imagine Arizona will take a look at Anderson, and I'd like to see him on the field with Fitz, Breaston, Doucet.... you know, WR's who can actually catch. Good luck Derek.
I hear ya. He can probably do decent again for some teams, in spurts possibly Kelly Holcomb styles. Not what they are trying to build here though...terrible fit. That said, I was all for jettisoning him out of here after his one good half season. Too much writing on the wall....even though Quinn was an unknown at that point I thought that would have been the right move. Hell, Quinn might still be an unknown right now.
Yeah, Anderson moving on is best for both sides.

I don't think he has it all upstairs either. That's just from things I've heard and my interpretations of his interviews/actions/etc. He's got that golden strong arm though.

I don't think he has it all upstairs either. That's just from things I've heard and my interpretations of his interviews/actions/etc. He's got that golden strong arm though.
especially after his interview where he trashed the Browns and their fans right after he was traded.but, i guess i would be bitter too if i thought the fans were cheering my injury. he should realize that was a drunken minority though.

Derek Anderson: "I hope and pray I'm playing when my team comes to town..."

We hope that too, Derek. We hope that too.

Not sure I get the disdain for Wallace in this thread...

Hes a career 60%, 2:1 TD to INT passer who has shown the ability to be at worst, an average starter in this league.

For a 7th round pick? Thats awesome.

Anyone think Ratliff will get a look as the QB?
My gut tells me that Ratliff will get as much a shot as Seneca will... Right now, between the two you have Holmgren's guy and Mangini's guy - So depending on who else they bring in, I assume they'll both get an equal shot to prove themselves and then Mangini and Holmgren will have to butt heads and come to a consensus.

Not sure I get the disdain for Wallace in this thread...Hes a career 60%, 2:1 TD to INT passer who has shown the ability to be at worst, an average starter in this league.For a 7th round pick? Thats awesome.
If he's so amazing then why did he sit behind Hasslebeck all those years? Why didn't any other teams come knocking on Seattle's door with a trade offer?It's a good trade, no doubt. It addresses a need and it cost pretty much nothing. He's a good QB to have on the roster and he might even surprise a bit... but he's just not the answer to the Browns QB problems. At least, he SHOULDN'T be anyway. You can't bring in Seneca 'friggin Wallace and think, "Okay, now we're set at QB. NOW we've got that base covered."

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that Brady Quinn is on the trading block.

The development isn't surprising. Quinn has been so inaccurate (52.1% completions in 14 career games) that Cleveland would probably be happy to take a late-round pick for him. Kansas City, where Quinn's college coach Charlie Weis is now the offensive coordinator, would be a sensible landing spot. Broncos coach Josh McDaniels, a former Weis pupil, also loves to trade.
Rotoworld: Brady Quinn PageDid not see it on here yet, but it looks like Quinn may be on the way out as well.

The development isn't surprising. Quinn has been so inaccurate (52.1% completions in 14 career games) that Cleveland would probably be happy to take a late-round pick for him. Kansas City, where Quinn's college coach Charlie Weis is now the offensive coordinator, would be a sensible landing spot. Broncos coach Josh McDaniels, a former Weis pupil, also loves to trade.
Rotoworld: Brady Quinn PageDid not see it on here yet, but it looks like Quinn may be on the way out as well.
I hope they don't trade Quinn. Still doesn't seem like we've had much of chance take him out for a test drive. Maybe I'm alone on this, though. :shrug:

I hope they don't trade Quinn. Still doesn't seem like we've had much of chance take him out for a test drive. Maybe I'm alone on this, though. :shrug:
One spin around the block was enough. He's awful.

I personally think that he should get a chance with a halfway decent offensive coach and a system that may fit him better than whatever garbage system he was dealing with under Romeo and Mangini. Everything I have heard says that he would potentially fit well in Holmgren's west-coast system, so I would hope that he can get a shot with it.

I agree you. Unless we get great value for Quinn, which is not possible.

:)

Source: Pro Bowl quarterback Jake Delhomme will visit Cleveland Browns Thursday

The Plain Dealer

March 10, 2010, 3:41PM

Former Carolina Panthers Pro Bowl quarterback Jake Delhomme will visit the Browns on Thursday, a league source told The Plain Dealer today.

Delhomme, who was cut by the Panthers last week, went 58-40 for them as a starter in seven seasons, including taking them to the Super Bowl after the 2003 season. The Panthers lost on a last-second field goal to the Patriots.

In Cleveland, Delhomme would most likely come in to challenge for the starting job. ESPN is reporting today that the Browns are shopping Brady Quinn, although a league source told The Plain Dealer that the Browns have not actively tried to trade anyone.

Delhomme, 35, was released with $12.5 million in guaranteed money still owed to him to make room for starter Matt Moore.

A fan and team favorite, Delhomme fell out of favor with the club this year when he threw a career-high 18 interceptions.

Panthers coach John Fox got emotional in the press conference last week and said, "He's done some great things for this team. Two (NFC) championship games, a Super Bowl, all those comeback victories. I'm not sure I've had any more respect for an NFL football player than Jake Delhomme.''

Details to follow.
Link

:cry:

Source: Pro Bowl quarterback Jake Delhomme will visit Cleveland Browns Thursday

The Plain Dealer

March 10, 2010, 3:41PM

Former Carolina Panthers Pro Bowl quarterback Jake Delhomme will visit the Browns on Thursday, a league source told The Plain Dealer today.

Delhomme, who was cut by the Panthers last week, went 58-40 for them as a starter in seven seasons, including taking them to the Super Bowl after the 2003 season. The Panthers lost on a last-second field goal to the Patriots.

In Cleveland, Delhomme would most likely come in to challenge for the starting job. ESPN is reporting today that the Browns are shopping Brady Quinn, although a league source told The Plain Dealer that the Browns have not actively tried to trade anyone.

Delhomme, 35, was released with $12.5 million in guaranteed money still owed to him to make room for starter Matt Moore.

A fan and team favorite, Delhomme fell out of favor with the club this year when he threw a career-high 18 interceptions.

Panthers coach John Fox got emotional in the press conference last week and said, "He's done some great things for this team. Two (NFC) championship games, a Super Bowl, all those comeback victories. I'm not sure I've had any more respect for an NFL football player than Jake Delhomme.''

Details to follow.
Link
Holmgren doing his due diligence. I know Delhomme was really bad last year, but it wasn't that long ago that he was a decent NFL QB. He wouldn't be the first QB to lose "it", and then find "it" again.

Browns sign TE Ben Watson to multiyear deal

CLEVELAND (AP)—The Cleveland Browns filled a gaping offensive hole, signing free agent tight end Ben Watson to a multiyear contract.

Watson spent the past six seasons with the New England Patriots, where he previously worked with Browns coach Eric Mangini and offensive coordinator Brian Daboll.

The Browns did not release financial terms. ESPN.com reported that Watson signed a three-year deal worth $12 million, including $6.35 million guaranteed. He is the third free agent to sign with Cleveland, joining linebacker Scott Fujita(notes) and right tackle Tony Pashos(notes).

ADVERTISEMENT

Watson visited the Browns on Thursday, when the club also hosted quarterback Jake Delhomme(notes) and running back Justin Fargas(notes).

Delhomme is scheduled to visit the New Orleans Saints on Friday. While the Super Bowl champions are looking for a backup for Drew Brees(notes), the Browns may see Delhomme as their starter. That prospect could be enough for Cleveland to land the 35-year-old, who was released by Carolina last week.

It is not known if the Browns offered Delhomme a contract.

Meanwhile, Watson should improve a position that has been thin for the Browns since they traded Kellen Winslow(notes). Steve Heiden(notes), an 11-year-veteran, has been plagued by injuries in recent years and missed the final nine games last season after going on injured reserve. Robert Royal(notes) caught just 11 passes and had numerous drops. Evan Moore(notes) was a late-season find off the practice squad but lacks experience, which is why the Browns were excited to get Watson.

“We viewed Ben as one of the top all-around tight ends in the free agent market,” Browns general manager Tom Heckert said in a statement. “Because of his athleticism and intelligence, he has proven valuable as both a receiver and blocker during his career, and has performed well in both facets. He comes from a winning program in New England and possesses the traits that we like in a player.

“We feel as though he can help us in many different areas and we are excited about his addition to our team.”

Last season, the 29-year-old Watson started all 16 games and caught 29 passes for 404 yards and five touchdowns.

A first-round draft choice by the Patriots in 2004, the 6-foot-3, 255-pounder has made 47 career starts. He has caught 167 passes for 2,102 yards and 20 touchdowns.

Watson had his best season in 2006, when he had 49 receptions for 643 yards and three TDS. His only 100-yard receiving game came against the Browns in 2007.

i thought Wimbley was kind of a bust. all you'd hear every year was that he was working hard, learning new moves, etc.

then you'd read about how the coaches are trying to move him around, get him in better spots to suceed, etc.

seems to me that they were working awfully hard to get production that was never going to come.

he did have a better year last year, i will give him that. but he was in the last year of his contract, and they apparently decided to move on.

if they got the 3.5 from Oakland, at least they got something decent in return.

all of that being said: my take is that they need to A. hit on a significant majority of their draft picks and B. hope this is a damn good draft.

because between Mangini and now Holmgren's hatchet jobs of the roster, they have a lot of holes.

i don't necessarily disagree with it, as they were getting pretty bad results with what they had, but they need to restock the talent in a hurry.

Uggh. Don't like either trade.

Browns fans sure have a tough job trying to buy a player jersey they actually wanna wear.

kicksrock4.gif

Uggh. Don't like either trade.Browns fans sure have a tough job trying to buy a player jersey they actually wanna wear.kicksrock4.gif
My kid is 4. His first jersey was Winslow. He grew out of it and wanted another Winslow, so we got that for him when he was 3. Traded. He then wanted a Quinn jersey and got it for his 4th bday. Traded. He's not getting another jersey this year....

Uggh. Don't like either trade.Browns fans sure have a tough job trying to buy a player jersey they actually wanna wear.kicksrock4.gif
My kid is 4. His first jersey was Winslow. He grew out of it and wanted another Winslow, so we got that for him when he was 3. Traded. He then wanted a Quinn jersey and got it for his 4th bday. Traded. He's not getting another jersey this year....
Joe Thomas.

Joe Thomas.
I'd rather not jinx it, told the better half the same thing. Her last three jerseys were Winslow, Edwards, and Quinn. I told her if she gets another it's John St Clair.

Joe Thomas.
:lmao: that's the only one i would even consider right now.or just buy your kid a hat. :lmao:

Joe Thomas.
I'm not risking that.

Eagles ship CB Brown, LB Gocong to Browns for LB Hall, two picksAssociated Press PHILADELPHIA -- The Eagles have traded cornerback Sheldon Brown and linebacker Chris Gocong to the Cleveland Browns for linebacker Alex Hall and two draft picks.The Eagles will receive picks in the fourth (105th) and fifth (137th) rounds in the upcoming NFL draft. The deal was announced Friday.Brown has been a longtime starter for the Eagles, but he was unhappy with his contract situation. Gocong had just signed a one-year deal.Hall played two seasons with the Browns, starting just two games.

I absolutely love this trade. Two potential starters for mid-round draft picks. Now they don't have to take Hayden if Berry is gone. This sets up alot of flexibility at #7.

I absolutely love this trade. Two potential starters for mid-round draft picks. Now they don't have to take Hayden if Berry is gone. This sets up alot of flexibility at #7.
:no: Both of these guys could be starters this year. They also picked up Fujita earlier who could be a starter. I hope they keep wheeling and dealing during the draft. Berry, Kyle Wilson, Brandon Graham could be nice additions to the defense for 2010, depending where we end up picking.

Users who are viewing this thread