What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (5 Viewers)

i can't recall the last time i was this disinterested in the nfl draft.
Guessing that disinterest will carry forward for at least 2 more years too. I'm highly interested in what we do day 2 and over the first hour or so of day 3. I think those wanting a trade-up are going to be disappointed though.

i can't recall the last time i was this disinterested in the nfl draft.
I dunno.  We have a really good roster with very few weaknesses.  I don't know how we could add another superstar to the salcap.  (That being said, DL could use an upgrade.)

I dunno.  We have a really good roster with very few weaknesses.  I don't know how we could add another superstar to the salcap.  (That being said, DL could use an upgrade.)
Oh, that's simple - we can't. Once Njoku's extension hits the books our core is pretty much set and attention shifts to (actually, it already has) complimenting it to the best of our ability. There's flexibility built into it, but as is we have $232.7m in cap commitments next year. 

Guessing that disinterest will carry forward for at least 2 more years too. I'm highly interested in what we do day 2 and over the first hour or so of day 3. I think those wanting a trade-up are going to be disappointed though.
i agree, highly doubt the Browns trade up.  

Can't track down a link but yesterday Jimmy Donovan had two interesting Browns draft takes.

1.  He said we should all be paying attention to Carolina and what they do with the #6 pick because if they DO NOT take a QB with the #6 pick that they are 'likely' to trade for Baker Mayfield.

2.  Jimmy also said on Friday in the 2nd round that if we pick a defensive lineman that we 'probably' won't resign Jadevian Clowney but that if we use that pick on ANY OTHER position that it 'probably' means we have a 'wink-wink' deal in place with Jadevian and he will sign 'sometime' AFTER all of the off-season workouts have taken place since he hates the off-season workouts and would sign and report to training camp.

I thought those were pretty good takes and good insights especially his take on watching what Carolina does with the #6 pick.

Gives us something to pay attention to in the first round.

Also, MK Cabot said emphatically the Browns 'Won't pay ANY of Baker's contract' if we trade him and if he doesn't get traded during the draft that the Browns are in 'no rush' to trade him and will wait as long as it takes up to and including past the start of the season to trade him.

Sounded absolutely firm and she doesn't expect him to get moved during the draft.  

FWIW I don't think he'll get traded till later and I think Clowney will resign 'later' and have NO CLUE who will be available when we pick let alone have any inkling who we'll take.

Oh and uh... heard from a second hand source to take it with a grain of salt that Desuan is innocent.  I grilled them and kept asking on what percent of the accusations and was told he is 100% innocent.  I was skeptical but they assured me that every accusation was checked into and the women are not who they claim to be... read into that what you will.  

I was skeptical but from what I've seen of the 'tactics' of the lawyer representing the women... his tactics are 'sleazy', and he came in with a rep as an ambulance chaser. 

I heard Watson is determined to NOT settle.  I heard he's going to fight no matter how long it takes.

---------------------------------------

...Buzbee knows well what he’s doing. He’s trying to exert even more settlement pressure on Watson by making the process as big of a pain in the butt as possible.

Who you guys wanting at 44?  Anyone you want to see us move up for?

I was hoping for a WR at 44 or a move up.  All those guys are gone though.  

Couple of guys but not sure how this day unfolds.

---------------------------------

• WR George Pickens, Georgia ❌ TAKEN
Eric Galko@EricGalko

He wasn’t one of the six that went in round one, but George Pickens has one of the highest ceilings of any WR in the draft.   LINK to vid

• EDGE David Ojabo, Michigan ❌ TAKEN
Borderline top 10 pick based on upside before torn Achilles at Pro Day. Still raw despite 11-sack season, so missed time is a big deal. Only 20 career college games. Started playing at age 17, after moving from Europe.

• DL Logan Hall, Houston ❌ TAKEN 
Hall is a disruptive interior pass-rusher who excels at shooting his hands and overwhelming interior offensive linemen with explosive power. He's strong and makes it tough for offensive linemen to get into his frame, but he's a lean interior defender with a high center of gravity. Hall has experience playing over the tackle and has enough length play there in the NFL. -- Steve Muench

• WR Skyy Moore, Western Michigan ❌ TAKEN
PMoore is a slippery wideout who is excellent at beating press coverage. He uncovers in a flash. He plucks the ball on the run, makes defenders miss in space and is a strong open-field runner even though he's undersized. Moore is not a big target, but he has the speed to challenge vertically and tracks the deep ball well. -- Steve Muench

--------------------------------------------------

EDIT:  All of my guys for the 2nd round gone.

Third round possibility.

• TE Jelani Woods, Virginia ❌ TAKEN
Eric Galko@EricGalko

We haven’t seen a tight end drafted yet. We’ll see a few go today, very likely including Virginia’s Jelani Woods. No tight end in this class has as much upside as Jelani Woods (best TE athlete ever)! Excited to see which team lands him! #NFLDraft   LINK to vid

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope Berry knows something I don't know about signing some others, or who he really wants to draft.

On the surface I'm perplexed at passing on what looked like some good available players at 44.

Baker talk is heating up, some speculation on acquiring extra picks.

-------------------------------------

Dawgs By Nature@DawgsByNature

Maybe but I don’t see that. I think AB would rather eat money than give up picks, which are the real currency in the NFL. I think the picks are to move into next season and to possibly go hunt for a vet. I think THAT could be the reason the Baker stuff is heating up.

Josh Claytor@claytor_joshua

Replying to @DawgsByNature

Wouldn't be surprised this is why berry traded down - may need a pick to throw in to sweeten the pot and they take his salary

--------------------------------------------------------

Dawgs By Nature@DawgsByNature

Another metric showing the Browns trade down was very good value wise.

Timo Riske@PFF_Moo

3 for 1 trades are often lopsided

LINK to PPF trade reference chart

Not going to lie, I do not like this draft.  I posted a list of 4 guys I would take and was leaning heavily towards EDGE David Ojabo, Michigan who went one pick after what would have been our selection to divisional rival Baltimore.  That hurt.

I heard we wanted the CB that Kwesi took 2 picks before us, 42. Vikings: Andrew Booth, CB, Clemson.  I wasn't sure when I heard that rumor but considering we took a CB in the 3rd with our 'first pick' of the draft, I believe the rumor.

We know that there has to be analytical reasons for the players we took so here's the rundown.

------------------------------

PFF Draft@PFF_College

The Cleveland Browns pick Mississippi State CB Martin Emerson at No. 68 overall. 89.6 coverage grade since 2020 (2nd among SEC CBs)

PFF Draft@PFF_College

The Cleveland Browns pick UAB Edge Alex Wright at No. 78 overall. 23.8% pass rush win rate in 2021 (2nd highest by C-USA Edge since 2014)

PFF Draft@PFF_College

The Cleveland Browns pick Purdue WR David Bell at No. 99 overall. FORTY-ONE contested catches since 2018 (1st among Power Five WRs)

--------------------------------------

I'd prefer David Ojabo over all three of them myself.  I'm not pleased.

Thoughts?

4th round kicker...............sadly we needed a kicker
We REALLY DO.

Browns last 3 kickers over the past 6 years. Made only 72.7% of FG attempts last season, worst mark in the NFL.

----------------------------------------------

Zac Jackson@AkronJackson

Cade York, the draft's best kicker

@dpbrugler

: Over the past 2 seasons, York converted 84.6% of his FG tries, including several high-tension kicks in the SEC. He also has outstanding distance with his leg, connecting on 78.9% (15-for-19) of his career FG attempts beyond 50 yds.

------

I love the Perrion Winfrey selection.  Loving this round so-far.

Apparently I'm not the only one loving the Winfrey pick.

------------------

Myles Garrett@Flash_Garrett

JUICED UP NO COFFEE NEEDED!!!!! Let’s get to work

Cleveland Browns@Browns

LIVE: Perrion Winfrey speaks with the media

Last edited by a moderator:
CB. WTF is Berry doing?
Ahh, this explains that pick.

-------------------------------------------

Nate Ulrich@ByNateUlrich

#Browns drafted CB Martin Emerson yesterday in third round

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet

Reunion: The #Rams are trading for an old friend, as they are set to acquire #Browns CB Troy Hill, source said.

I'm kinda pissed because the damn board keeps updating and zaps all posts and I've posted this two f'ng times so I'm just cutting and pasting from the Vikings thread.  The board better not f'ng update and zap this again.

--------------------------

...quick summary.

Kwesi came from the Browns, knew their draft board/inside info.

Kwesi and Browns GM Andrew Berry wanted the CB Kwesi took in the 2nd round.  If Kwesi did not move down from #12 he stood no shot to get him because the Browns were set to pick at #44 and the Vikings originally held the 46th pick so they stood no chance to take Andrew Booth Jr. 

He traded down within his division and got the last pick of the 1st round AND the CB he wanted BEFORE Adrew Berry could take him.  THAT explains why he made that 'odd' move down in the 1st and it also explains why the Browns GM made an 'odd' move-down right AFTER Kwesi picked Booth.  

The Browns seemed 'set' at CB so when the rumor came out that he wanted Booth it didn't make sense.  Andrew Berry traded completely OUT of the 2nd round when blue-chip talent was still on the board and then took a CB with his first selection of the draft in the 3rd round and then traded away slot CB Troy Hill for a future pick.  Suddenly everything made sense that they both wanted Booth.

Later in the draft Kwesi made a 'one-side' deal with Andrew Berry to 'smooth things over' because he knew he screwed the Browns.

Vikings receive 

Round 4, No. 118 overall (Akayleb Evans, CB, Missouri) 

Browns receive 

Round 5, No. 156 overall
2023 4th round pick 

That story about the vikes and browns seems silly that another team can ruin your plans like that to the point you freak out and make a trade you don't even want. 

So the vikes traded down from 12 to make sure they could get ahead of the Browns at 44?  Huh?

That story about the vikes and browns seems silly that another team can ruin your plans like that to the point you freak out and make a trade you don't even want. 

So the vikes traded down from 12 to make sure they could get ahead of the Browns at 44?  Huh?
The Vikes trade down from 12 had nothing to do with Booth. Their trade up for him at 42 since he was still available makes sense though. 

The Vikes trade down from 12 had nothing to do with Booth. Their trade up for him at 42 since he was still available makes sense though. 
I addressed both points in the Vikings thread but here's the summary.

One of the top needs of the Vikes was CB, the top two went picks 3 and 4, next two went in the twenties, next two went in the 2nd round in the 30s.   Vikes took CB Booth at #42, right before us at #44.  The top-rated player for them at #12 was S Hamilton.  Kwesi traded down to #32 and got S Kine AND then got Booth at #42 plus extra picks instead of trading-up to get Booth and losing picks.  I think he ranked him with the CBs who went in the 20s.

NFL Draft experts give high grades for picks of Clemson's Andrew Booth

..."First-round caliber talent who fell due to injury during pre-draft process. 

You know CB was not a high priority for us after drafting Newsome and Greedy then extending Ward.  No one was mocking CB to the Browns let alone their first pick of the draft.

After we took Emmerson, reporters justified the pick by saying said AB can't have enough corners but then AB dished Troy Hill for a 5th and ate over $5 million of his guaranteed contract, his base is only a little over $2 million so no cap savings to explain the trade.  Hill is considered one of the top slot corners, neither Greedy or Greg Newsome play slot.  They are talking of lining the highest paid CB in the league in the slot till the rookie can take over so nothing about taking him makes sense to me.

If someone has a better explanation then have at it.

NO 1st or 2nd round picks.  Interesting draft to not have either how teams covet those picks.

don’t get me wrong, the Browns were trying to tank. 

but they paid him handsomely to do so, and for him to turn around and try to throw them under the bus is bull####. 

Users who are viewing this thread