What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news (3 Viewers)

This pretty much sums up Kaep:Kaepernick...is a reaction QB - he sees something, he reacts, and if things open up, he can be awesome to behold.

But there is very little surveying, examining and dissecting going on. He either sees somebody open and throws it very hard, or he gets antsy and either tries to force it somewhere or gets bungled up in the pocket not sure whether to run or what to do.

This pretty much sums up Kaep:Kaepernick...is a reaction QB - he sees something, he reacts, and if things open up, he can be awesome to behold.

But there is very little surveying, examining and dissecting going on. He either sees somebody open and throws it very hard, or he gets antsy and either tries to force it somewhere or gets bungled up in the pocket not sure whether to run or what to do.
True. But at the same time, they're playing Oakland this week. The same Oakland team that St. Louis bombed by 50 last week. I see no reason in the world why he can't have a solid game on Sunday.

What the hell does Kawakami know? After the Dallas game, he wrote that the 49ers will be in the Super Bowl.

The 49ers should just hire Chris Ault, who with Kaep helped him set records in Nevada. Then fire Baalke for not being able to know how to draft or build anything offense. You can't spread an offense out with no speed and no way to set edges. Hell, the only play that works to set an outside edge in that offense is the crack/wham/whatever play.

ETA: the 49ers can't even execute a screen play. That's on Baalke, who is busy trying to find a WR with two broken legs so he can shelve him for the next two seasons.

Last edited by a moderator:

What the hell does Kawakami know? After the Dallas game, he wrote that the 49ers will be in the Super Bowl.
I don't even know who he is, but he nailed it in those 2 paragraphs. :shrug:

I don't even know who he is, but he nailed it in those 2 paragraphs. :shrug:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruiUgDyMf60

Cool read. Too bad neither Kaep nor RGIII will ever be a triple threat - they lack either the work ethic, desire, or brains (or a combination of them) to make it happen.
You remember what 49er fans said about Young, don't you? The ones who weren't making death threats against him.
Nope. The internet didnt exist back in those days and I was a 49er fan living in Michigan...not exactly a hot bed of SF news/opinion/media. I knew more about the Lions than I ever cared to though.

Is anybody starting him this weekend? I know he has really struggled this season but Oakland is 100% uncut doo-doo.

Maybe... just maybe... he has a good game on Sunday?
Starting him over Sanchez. I'm a big favorite and think Kaep is the safer play.

Jeff George with wheels
Jeff George as a passer >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>. Kaep

Jeff George with wheels
Jeff George as a passer >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>. Kaep
:no:

I will start him against Oakland and think he will do well. He is due for some rushing exploits and should be able to throw on Oakland.

Jeff George with wheels
They have very similar #'s, different eras I know. My point is they are both somewhat inaccurate but have big arms. Jeff George probably took more long shots though.

Jeff George with wheels
They have very similar #'s, different eras I know. My point is they are both somewhat inaccurate but have big arms. Jeff George probably took more long shots though.
George could function in a pocket. Check and mate where I am concerned.

Jeff George with wheels
George was a front runner. At the first sign of adversity he wilted. CK has more heart. I don't really see the comparison. And I'm not a Kap fan.

Jeff George with wheels
Yeah, you're reaching hard here.

ETA: for one thing, you just can't look at the deep yardage and say "George = Kaep". Because the mechanics of each QB are totally different. George had a weird tendency with his release, using his index finger on the tip of the football that maybe helped him drive the ball deep, or maybe just helped him feel more comfortable with the ball, and it may have hurt his accuracy on shorter throws. What killed George was his head. I think he drove Gruden nuts with his checking out of his offense while in OAK. His audibles led right into sacks or turnovers. It seemed that Gruden couldn't get rid of George fast enough. He IIRC was a holdover from Al Davis anyway, so he wasn't attached to Gruden.

The problem with Kaep is that the 49ers have booted back into "schizo offense", because the franchise itself forgot it's own traditions of offense. They haven't drafted or signed players with any idea of what kind of offense is it's base. It's been that way for well over a decade now, since they ditched the WCO. They didn't even have a GM for a few years. The offense is a total mess right now, because:

1 - They have too many cooks in the offensive kitchen.

2 - They have a team president who is younger than 40 years old, who has never ran an NFL franchise before, and his only qualification for his current job is because he nuzzled on his Mama's teat. It's very clear now that he is in over his head on the job too.

3 - They could be preparing for Jim Harbaugh's exit.

4 - They have a GM who has never held that position anywhere before, and was only a scout on former GM Scot McGlouhan's staff before his ascension to GM.

5 - They have Paraag Marathe trying out his Moneyball tactics, who has overseen some of the worst seasons of offensive football the 49ers have ever fielded recently.

Kaep is never going to be Joe Montana revisited. I'm going to mention Jeff Garcia once again to remind a few here of the last QB to post exceptional numbers in SF, but he was the last one to do that there. It took Bill Walsh himself to find him, due to a suggestion from somebody local.

Bill Walsh is dead, and so lies the 49ers own tradition along with him.

Jeff George with wheels
George was a front runner. At the first sign of adversity he wilted. CK has more heart. I don't really see the comparison. And I'm not a Kap fan.

Here is a chicken or the egg question:

Does a QB's mechanics come first before the offensive design, or after?

ETA: George had a very quick release, but his unconventional mechanics may had compromised any command of the offense. Any doubt in a QB's head within a passing offense is death to the offense as a whole. If a QB bounces from franchise to franchise like George had, chances are it's the total sum of parts that doesn't add to being a franchise QB.

Jeff George with wheels
Agreed. I still recall the time George fumbled a snap as a Viking. It was right in front of him and he just stared at it as if to say "you don't expect me to go get that."

Jeff George with wheels
Agreed. I still recall the time George fumbled a snap as a Viking. It was right in front of him and he just stared at it as if to say "you don't expect me to go get that."
Oh yeah, saw that same play too. George loved his own arm than most football people did, lol. Million Dollar Arm, Ten Cent Head. That's why there are a million prep QB's with George's arm who can't run a basic offense.

Jeff George with wheels
I didn't make the comparison, and wouldn't. I'd put Jeff George in all day every day over Kaep. I don't view this as much of a compliment to George in any way.

I didn't make the comparison, and wouldn't. I'd put Jeff George in all day every day over Kaep. I don't view this as much of a compliment to George in any way.
Please.

Jeff George is a 57.9% career QB, with a 3.9 TD% and 2.8 INT%. Passer rating 80.4. 7.0 Y/A. 46-78 record as a starter. One post-season win in his career. And if you look at his first three years, his numbers are way worse than that.

Kapernick is significantly better in every passing statistic, and in three years as a starter has already rushed for four times as much yardage as George did in his career. He's also been to the NFC championship game twice, winning once, and played a competitive game in the Super Bowl where he accounted for 364 yards and 2 TDs.

If you're going to take a position, don't make it a ridiculous one.

Did you guys watch the same Jeff George with the Colts that I did? :confused:
Have you been watching the same Kaep as we have?
During his four years in Indy, George had a 6.23 YPA (ranked 49th among QB's who played at least 20 games in that span) and threw 41 TD's and 46 INT's.

During his three years in SF, Kaepernick has a 7.67 YPA (ranked 5th among QB's who played at least 20 games in that span) and threw 46 TD's and 19 INT's.

As I've said, I'm not a Kap fan (Seahawk homer), but these comparisons to George are silly. They are not similar at all.

I think a more apt comparison to George is Jay Cutler. Someone who seems to have all the tools but is missing leadership skills and lacks heart.

Is anybody starting him this weekend? I know he has really struggled this season but Oakland is 100% uncut doo-doo.

Starting him over Eli, and Mettenberger/Locker. I think he's going to have an enormous game, and at worst it'll be 250+ and 1TD+.
You think 250 yards passing is his floor? The 49ers won't have to throw the ball more than 5 times.
The way the Raiders are playing, five pass attempts could easily result in 250 yards.

They're definitely the kind of team that Kaepernick gets his wheels working against, so I'm thinking of total yards. Something like Tannehill's game (278/2 passing, 5/35 rushing).
He didn't come close to reaching his "floor" .... on about 40 attempts.

Starting him over Eli, and Mettenberger/Locker. I think he's going to have an enormous game, and at worst it'll be 250+ and 1TD+.
You think 250 yards passing is his floor? The 49ers won't have to throw the ball more than 5 times.
The way the Raiders are playing, five pass attempts could easily result in 250 yards.

They're definitely the kind of team that Kaepernick gets his wheels working against, so I'm thinking of total yards. Something like Tannehill's game (278/2 passing, 5/35 rushing).
He didn't come close to reaching his "floor" .... on about 40 attempts.
How did Smith do this week?

Without running the ball, this guy is pure garbage.
You need to log some more time at the Tiger Woods thread.
He is one of the worst QBs in the league. No TDs in the 4th Q? All season? Garbage is an understatement. I will say worthless because some garbage has value.
Well, you sure do know garbage I'll give you that.
You can't actually think this guy is a starting NFL QB.

Users who are viewing this thread