What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

College Sports Ruined - Name, Image, Likeness (1 Viewer)

Oh, I agree with you on that point.  I've talked about the facilities arms race before and how crazy that is.  The NIL money shouldn't be coming from the schools themselves.  Not sure how many boosters were thinking about donating $1 million for a new library but have instead decided to put it towards NIL.
It is going to be instead of donating to build the new practice facility or replace the stadium turf though.

How many times does the NCAA have to try and put the toothpaste back in the tube before they realize it's just not going to happen?  Does anyone listen to the NCAA anymore?

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/33888469/ncaa-division-board-directors-releases-new-nil-guidelines-regarding-involvement-boosters
The NCAA's guidelines are unenforceable. What schools will they sanction if boosters at all the big schools keep shoveling money at players? And, in the unlikely event that a penalty is imposed, what happens when the boosters and/or the school fights back in court? 

Last week, Minnesota became (at least) the 11th state whose high school athletic association has approved NIL income for high school athletes (with certain guidelines.)  As before, there's an obvious solution to this - the complete disassociation of athletics and education in our country. There is no reason to maintain the charade, which causes nothing but corruption, exploitation, and one false, manufactured scandal after another. Fortunately, some sports - including baseball, basketball, soccer and volleyball - are moving toward an all-club model.

https://t.co/9MPl8UqTbC

CletiusMaximus said:
Last week, Minnesota became (at least) the 11th state whose high school athletic association has approved NIL income for high school athletes (with certain guidelines.)  As before, there's an obvious solution to this - the complete disassociation of athletics and education in our country. There is no reason to maintain the charade, which causes nothing but corruption, exploitation, and one false, manufactured scandal after another. Fortunately, some sports - including baseball, basketball, soccer and volleyball - are moving toward an all-club model.

https://t.co/9MPl8UqTbC
In theory, but in reality it's the tie to the schools that get the larger scale donor dollars to come in.  Look at what Texas A&M has done.  If those athletes weren't associated with the school, not sure a single dollar of that money finds it's way into those athletes hands.  There's only so much Nike etc. can pay.  Additionally, if athletes weren't tied to those schools, the viewing interest of the public who has disposable income to spend on athletics of this sort would be drastically reduced.  Most are college graduates or at the least avid college fans.

College athletics is a huge business and this model certainly is problematic for the collegiate athletic departments.  However, breaking away from that model would drastically reduce revenues that could be generated.  

The transfer rules have always struck me as the most deplorable aspect of NCAA controls over these kids. To say a kid can't play a year because he wants to move to another school is outrageous and honestly should be illegal. They have a massive unpaid labor force that is earning billions and have the stones to tell a kid he is locked into whatever school he first chose regardless of what has happened in his life since he was 17?  Its already absurd to me that we just accept the fact these kids are only allowed a certain amount of eligibility to play college sports.  I've long maintained in these threads that the cleanest solution to all this, one that would solve all these college sports scandals and problems (although one that will never happen,) is to just completely divorce sports institutions from educational institutions top to bottom across the board. Universities can have intramural sports and even some competitions among true amateurs.  The kids who are doing sports to make a living should play for private clubs as is done everywhere else in the world.  Alabama can license the use of its name, logo and stadium to a private company called "Alabama Football, LLC" and stop the charade. 

A few items here.

1) Sports makes a lot of money, but the scope is important.  In some podcasts on this, Freakonomics being one, it is mentioned how the NFL who you think is a juggernaut makes less and is worth less than Sherman Williams Paint and Outback Steakhouse IIRC.  Be careful assuming college sports can simply convert to a semi-pro environment and succeed in the current revenue environment.  

1a) the expenses of the college sports engine are staggering.  That there was profit generated by the school from selling tickets and TV rights is a fallacy.  They rely on donations by and large just to stay afloat.  It would be an odd revenue model of pass-the-hat 

2) Schools like having sports because it drives interest in the school in a more effective way than advertising.  Some schools now need a football team not for the sport but because it puts 60 men in seats, and men are a vanishing commodity in colleges now.

So I doubt you can realistically accomplish this without some unforeseen consequences.  That being said the transfer system is really dumb.  

A few items here.

1) Sports makes a lot of money, but the scope is important.  In some podcasts on this, Freakonomics being one, it is mentioned how the NFL who you think is a juggernaut makes less and is worth less than Sherman Williams Paint and Outback Steakhouse IIRC.  Be careful assuming college sports can simply convert to a semi-pro environment and succeed in the current revenue environment.  
I’ll be the first to frame up how small sports consumer products is…all leagues combined are less than half of Disney…but Bloomin Brands (Outback) isn’t worth what the Cowboys are. 😕

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep that's the crux for me.  Coaches can move, but at least a buy-out must be paid.  In pro sports players can only move once they are free agents (or nowadays if they force a trade).  Of course college has no CBA so apples-oranges.

It would be a little easier to swallow if the player transferring had to pay some price.  Sitting a year seems like a fair price to me, especially if they can train and practice at the new school AND don't lose a year of eligibility.  Make it just a little less attractive to bolt.
Well they used to have to sit a year but that was changed actually not too long ago because of all the coaches jumping ship.  

Now with NIL it became an unintended free agency 

Well they used to have to sit a year but that was changed actually not too long ago because of all the coaches jumping ship.  

Now with NIL it became an unintended free agency 

Yep that was my reference point.  Unintended and for all intents and purposes unfettered free agency.  Which some people seem fine with but I don't think is great for the sport.  I'm just an old man though, what do I know?

Yep that was my reference point.  Unintended and for all intents and purposes unfettered free agency.  Which some people seem fine with but I don't think is great for the sport.  I'm just an old man though, what do I know?
If your labor force is comprised of college students, schools have to deal with the reality that the labor force enjoys the same rights as all other college students.

Nick Saban might be surpised how hard it would be to recruit if all NCAA teams had same budget on players...Belmont might be attractive to someone who would be able to get 50% of the teams budget...not sure if Belmont even has a team so input any team on the lower side of Div 1 for me please....

Nick Saban might be surpised how hard it would be to recruit if all NCAA teams had same budget on players...Belmont might be attractive to someone who would be able to get 50% of the teams budget...not sure if Belmont even has a team so input any team on the lower side of Div 1 for me please....
Actually Belmont could be the next Gonzaga very easily with their notable alumni and NIL. All it takes is signing a couple of Curry-types.

Didn't Alabama just sign the highest ranked recruiting class of all time just a couple of months ago? What the hell is Saban complaining about? Is he just mad because he has to beg for more money from boosters?

Didn't Alabama just sign the highest ranked recruiting class of all time just a couple of months ago? What the hell is Saban complaining about? Is he just mad because he has to beg for more money from boosters?
He already does that, but money used to go to the program, now these boosters need to budget for NIL, and other schools have deeper pockets. Bama loses an advantage.

If I was guessing, I would say it's harder for some 4 star All Americans to sit for two years at Bama, when they can make 6 figures somewhere else.

Notre Dame AD Says NCAA Could Break Apart Without Stronger NIL Guidelines

In a view shared by many within the industry, Swarbrick expressed his intention on protecting the century-old educational mission of college athletics, which, at its highest level, is drifting toward a professional model where boosters and booster-led collectives are distributing salaries to players under the guise of NIL. The evolution of NIL has created an unregulated free agency and false market where college athletes are signing five-, six- and even seven-figure contracts to play for certain schools, administrators say.
I cherish every tone deaf rant these guys have.

I love this story:

https://twitter.com/AndrewPetcash/status/1633995179609800706?t=UseJTk6mR17yDciytyArFQ&s=19

LSU gymnast Livvy Dunne 11 million social media followers (she's very attractive) earns at least 3 mill a year from social media, does a TikTok for a ChatGPT alternative.

Pre-NIL, simply not possible
What percentage of her followers are old pervs you think?
Lol. I don't follow social media but when I saw her first Viori commercial, I was like wow that girl is stunning. I had zero clue who she was.

I love this story:

https://twitter.com/AndrewPetcash/status/1633995179609800706?t=UseJTk6mR17yDciytyArFQ&s=19

LSU gymnast Livvy Dunne 11 million social media followers (she's very attractive) earns at least 3 mill a year from social media, does a TikTok for a ChatGPT alternative.

Pre-NIL, simply not possible
What percentage of her followers are old pervs you think?
Along those lines, I stumbled across a piece a few weeks ago complaining about how on the women's side in particular, attractiveness is a much bigger driver of earnings than athletic achievement. Which is not really surprising, but does give the whole thing a bit of a tawdry feel imo. That said, I'm not sure what the solution would be - it's not like you can do a brain scan to make sure women athletes are being supported for the "right" reasons.

A great story here about the house of cards for Miami booster John Ruiz.

Looks like his company doesn't actually make any money, and the stock is in danger of being de-listed. The whole thing seems a bit sleazy, I have no idea what his arrangements with the players are, but any monies they have not received yet might be unavailable

In a view shared by many within the industry, Swarbrick expressed his intention on protecting the century-old educational mission of college athletics, which, at its highest level, is drifting toward a professional model where boosters and booster-led collectives are distributing salaries to players under the guise of NIL. The evolution of NIL has created an unregulated free agency and false market where college athletes are signing five-, six- and even seven-figure contracts to play for certain schools, administrators say.
Can we just admit that big time college sports is a business? Seems especially hollow coming from the ND AD. No business err I mean college, has had it better.

Can we just admit that big time college sports is a business? Seems especially hollow coming from the ND AD. No business err I mean college, has had it better.
Yeah, if they really want to work on "protecting the century-old educational mission of college athletics," they should give up all TV money, marketing $, scholarship $ and just make it all intramural. Let the pro athletes be pros and dissociate colleges from athletics.

Yeah, if they really want to work on "protecting the century-old educational mission of college athletics," they should give up all TV money, marketing $, scholarship $ and just make it all intramural. Let the pro athletes be pros and dissociate colleges from athletics.
Or expand the Ivy League

I hadn't been following the NIL stuff super-closely. I hadn't realized ALL top-tier football players at most all positions were getting money from (ahem) 'Name, Image, and Likeness'. Still, as of this morning, though it was the top 50-100 star NCAA players nationwide getting appreciable NIL money -- and much of that local-interest small-potatoes stuff.

So ... NIL is essentially a slush fund? Just because a four-star offensive tackle got NIL money to play at Wake Forest or Washington State or Indiana ... that doesn't mean I can actually go buy pre-made merch with that player's name or image (especially image) on it? I guess there's always custom jerseys with so-and-so OT's name on it.

And I guess the 'likeness' part is whatever that OT gets from an interchangeable 'player' with his jersey number showing up in an NCAA football video game, say?

Really had thought the NIL was like, say, if Desmond Howard (while at Michigan) or Peyton Manning (while at Tennessee) were able to get paid for specific "Desmond Howard" and "Peyton Manning" T-shirts, jerseys, mugs, etc. And that, plus the video-game stuff, was basically the extent of NIL.

Instead, that article massraider linked talks about NIL exactly as the NFL talks about negotiated salaries, and for lots and lots of non-star players. Is that what NIL was supposed to be from jump, or was it all just drawn up with a bunch of loopholes that smarter people learned to exploit in five minutes?

Instead, that article massraider linked talks about NIL exactly as the NFL talks about negotiated salaries, and for lots and lots of non-star players. Is that what NIL was supposed to be from jump, or was it all just drawn up with a bunch of loopholes that smarter people learned to exploit in five minutes?
Drawn up by who? The first answer that pops into your head is the NCAA, but they just got a massive punch in the throat by the courts.

The answer is if a kid gets money signing a hat, or gets a bag of cash, he's profiting off his NIL. Some superfan who owns some massage parlors in Galveston wants to pay a WR for 'appearances' and then not care if the kid shows for the appearance, that is completely fine.

Name Image Likeness covers a LOT of ground, as it should.

Users who are viewing this thread