What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Common fantasy league formats that you find silly (1 Viewer)

Agree that PPR is totally artificial, but the problem is that without it, RBs are pretty much all that matters. Anyone else remember 1/2/2 standard no flex leagues? People would just draft RB / RB / RB / RB / RB... they were all that mattered.
There are a lot of ways to balance positions if your league feels it needs to, PPR is the worst of them. I am by no means a traditionalist BTW - my dislike for PPR is not a "problem with change" issue. I am willing to looks at better ways to score FF on almost any front. I just don't think PPR makes sense.

Agree that PPR is totally artificial, but the problem is that without it, RBs are pretty much all that matters. Anyone else remember 1/2/2 standard no flex leagues? People would just draft RB / RB / RB / RB / RB... they were all that mattered.
PPR doesn't fix that. Changing the starting lineup does

PPR sucks and it is everywhere now. Adjust the starting lineup size to make different positions equal to each other.
I think you'll be outnumbered here on PPR. I myself prefer it. You may want to prepare for an explanation as to why you think it sucks.
I'm definitely outnumbered. It's the most popular format now. I just don't see the value added at all.
You aren't alone, but we are badly out-numbered and I don't understand why at all. The arguments against PPR make themselves.10 catches for 0 yards being worth the same number of fantasy points as 10 rushes for 100 yards is simply ridiculous. Teams win by moving the ball and getting 1st downs. A catch has no inherent value to a team's success in and of itself. Yardage is what matters.

The goal for me in scoring is fairly simple. Rule #1, make the relationship between good NFL football players and good fantasy football players as strong as possible - especially within a position group. Rule #2, make it fairly easy to score, and fun to play. PPR fits #2 fine, but fails #1 miserably, particularly with RBs.
Show me an example of 10 catches for 0 yards. Even if it ever happened, using that nonsense as an argument as if it's a regular occurrence is silly.
No, it's not a regular occurrence - it's an extreme example. The extreme example is extremely ridiculous. The more common, less extreme examples are still ridiculous, just less so.

Just randomly peeking, Mark Ingram had a game last year against the Bengals where he went 23 for 67 and 7 for 30. Net score 16.7 points. His counterpart, Jeremy Hill, had 27 for 152 and 1 for 13. Net score 17.5 points. Cinci POUNDED the Saints in this game.

So two backs scored basically the same amount of fantasy points. Which back was more effective? Which was more valuable to his team? Those answers are obvious. Why did they score about the same number of fantasy points in PPR? That question is VERY difficult to answer for anyone who actually thinks about it.

PPR sucks and it is everywhere now. Adjust the starting lineup size to make different positions equal to each other.
I think you'll be outnumbered here on PPR. I myself prefer it. You may want to prepare for an explanation as to why you think it sucks.
I'm definitely outnumbered. It's the most popular format now. I just don't see the value added at all.
You aren't alone, but we are badly out-numbered and I don't understand why at all. The arguments against PPR make themselves.10 catches for 0 yards being worth the same number of fantasy points as 10 rushes for 100 yards is simply ridiculous. Teams win by moving the ball and getting 1st downs. A catch has no inherent value to a team's success in and of itself. Yardage is what matters.

The goal for me in scoring is fairly simple. Rule #1, make the relationship between good NFL football players and good fantasy football players as strong as possible - especially within a position group. Rule #2, make it fairly easy to score, and fun to play. PPR fits #2 fine, but fails #1 miserably, particularly with RBs.
Show me an example of 10 catches for 0 yards. Even if it ever happened, using that nonsense as an argument as if it's a regular occurrence is silly.
No, it's not a regular occurrence - it's an extreme example. The extreme example is extremely ridiculous. The more common, less extreme examples are still ridiculous, just less so.

Just randomly peeking, Mark Ingram had a game last year against the Bengals where he went 23 for 67 and 7 for 30. Net score 16.7 points. His counterpart, Jeremy Hill, had 27 for 152 and 1 for 13. Net score 17.5 points. Cinci POUNDED the Saints in this game.

So two backs scored basically the same amount of fantasy points. Which back was more effective? Which was more valuable to his team? Those answers are obvious. Why did they score about the same number of fantasy points in PPR? That question is VERY difficult to answer for anyone who actually thinks about it.
Very difficult to answer. Those 7 catches for Ingram could have all been for first downs which is very valuable. The outcome of the game isn't that big of deal to me in this example because both players could have had the exact same stats but the outcome of the game could have been the opposite. A guy can run for over 200 yards and 3 TDs but the team could still get crushed 51-21.

actually the why is very easy to answer.

the difficult question is whether they should have scored the same.

Very difficult to answer. Those 7 catches for Ingram could have all been for first downs which is very valuable. The outcome of the game isn't that big of deal to me in this example because both players could have had the exact same stats but the outcome of the game could have been the opposite. A guy can run for over 200 yards and 3 TDs but the team could still get crushed 51-21.
OK, ignore the game result. The reason I mentioned it was that it was fairly clear Cinci won the game handily because of the effectiveness of the ground game relative to NO, but it really could have been the reverse I guess so fair enough.

One of Ingram's 7 passes resulted in a 1st down. It was in garbage time when nobody was likely covering him in the middle of the field.

I don't like how much added scoring punch ppr gives wide receivers either, that's why I started a league that scores for carries, too.

When it comes to fantasy football, I really enjoy watching the Sunday/Monday night games knowing that I need xx amount of points and cheering for my player to get them. More ways to score points = a more pleasurable viewing experience. Standard scoring is just so boring to me.

To me this is a debate where no one will ever be right. PPR and non-PPR leagues both have their fans and arguments to back why they are the better format. Why not just play in the league that has the format you like and not worry about the other format? I myself prefer PPR and find non-PPR boring so I don't play in those types of leagues. I don't think they are stupid or wrong, I just don't enjoy them as much.

The best part about having so many different league formats is that there is a league for everyone. I like to play in a variety of different leagues just I can be familiar with them and see what I like best. Last year I joined two dynasty leagues and I do see some fun to be had there I still prefer my redraft PPR auction league.

I don't like how much added scoring punch ppr gives wide receivers either, that's why I started a league that scores for carries, too.

When it comes to fantasy football, I really enjoy watching the Sunday/Monday night games knowing that I need xx amount of points and cheering for my player to get them. More ways to score points = a more pleasurable viewing experience. Standard scoring is just so boring to me.
This is why I like PPR and games that end with scores over 100. The whole point of fantasy football is to add more entertainment to watching football and to have a reason to pay attention to more players.

Because he didn't drop the passes.

To me this is a debate where no one will ever be right. PPR and non-PPR leagues both have their fans and arguments to back why they are the better format. Why not just play in the league that has the format you like and not worry about the other format? I myself prefer PPR and find non-PPR boring so I don't play in those types of leagues. I don't think they are stupid or wrong, I just don't enjoy them as much.

The best part about having so many different league formats is that there is a league for everyone. I like to play in a variety of different leagues just I can be familiar with them and see what I like best. Last year I joined two dynasty leagues and I do see some fun to be had there I still prefer my redraft PPR auction league.
You are absolutely correct - if PPR is fun for you - DO IT. I don't begrudge anyone their fun.

That said, some scoring systems do make more overall sense than others IMO. I mean I could just create a system where a player gets a 10 point bonus if their yardage total ends in the number 7. That would be exciting, and it might be more fun for some people. If folks wanted to implement it in their leagues, I'm all for it. But can we just be honest about it and it say that it doesn't make a whole lot of sense within the general parameters of what FF is about?

To me, PPR is like that. To give fantasy points for a play that results in negative yardage is just as nonsensical as giving the "end in 7" bonus. Maybe more so to me, because at least the random bonus is exactly that - random. The negative yardage play actually has a negative impact on the game, and gets a positive fantasy result.

Because he didn't drop the passes.
I know why they scored the same within the PPR scoring system. I'm asking how that system makes sense. Why in that scoring system, are those two RB game performances equal while in real NFL terms, they aren't REMOTELY equal.

You are absolutely correct - if PPR is fun for you - DO IT. I don't begrudge anyone their fun.

That said, some scoring systems do make more overall sense than others IMO. I mean I could just create a system where a player gets a 10 point bonus if their yardage total ends in the number 7. That would be exciting, and it might be more fun for some people. If folks wanted to implement it in their leagues, I'm all for it. But can we just be honest about it and it say that it doesn't make a whole lot of sense within the general parameters of what FF is about?

To me, PPR is like that. To give fantasy points for a play that results in negative yardage is just as nonsensical as giving the "end in 7" bonus. Maybe more so to me, because at least the random bonus is exactly that - random. The negative yardage play actually has a negative impact on the game, and gets a positive fantasy result.
Now you're on to something! :D This makes absolutely no sense in fantasy football but it should would add some random excitement. Reminds me of doing a Super Bowl pool or something like that.

Hawkeye21 said:
Holy Schneikes said:
Hawkeye21 said:

Now you're on to something! :D This makes absolutely no sense in fantasy football but it should would add some random excitement. Reminds me of doing a Super Bowl pool or something like that.
You are welcome, please enjoy. It's trademarked under the name "Just as silly as PPR scoring system".

And yes, it is very much like bowl game squares, which was the first thing I thought of on the subject of random excitement. But random excitement isn't my #1 goal when it comes to FF scoring systems. I want to minimize randomness in fact. My goal is giving the most points to the best players.

Where'd random excitement come from? PPR isn't random...
No, it's not really random, it's just not indicative of quality play. The random excitement was brought in a while ago because Hawkeye21 said standard scoring was too bland (paraphrasing). I introduced the very random silly scoring system to make the point that additional excitement may or may not really make additional sense. If that is an issue for folks, my thought is that you want to increase interest and fun and still have it make sense.

Where'd random excitement come from? PPR isn't random...
No, it's not really random, it's just not indicative of quality play. The random excitement was brought in a while ago because Hawkeye21 said standard scoring was too bland (paraphrasing). I introduced the very random silly scoring system to make the point that additional excitement may or may not really make additional sense. If that is an issue for folks, my thought is that you want to increase interest and fun and still have it make sense.
true. I just wish giving points for First Downs were more common.

If you used 1DN, the top 10 RBs and WRs are really close (at least in 2014) but after that it gives WR a decent bump.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/receiving

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/rushing

Strongly dislike leagues where you get bonus points for longer plays as well as "team" leagues where your team is comprised of players from an NFL team.

Personal favorite format is decimal scoring with 1 PPR.

QB

RB
RB

WR
WR
WR
TE

Makes things a little more interesting and realistic, in my opinion. Wide receivers are simply much less valuable than RBs or even QBs in standard scoring.

Strongly dislike leagues where you get bonus points for longer plays as well as "team" leagues where your team is comprised of players from an NFL team.
I used to play in a league that gave 5 point bonuses for every 100 yards receiving/rushing and for 300/400/500yds passing. Didn't make any sense to me. Sure you want to give them 1 point, that's fine. But 5? They didn't want to change it because it made the league more high scoring.

Probably been mentioned but I dont like keeper leagues. If you are going to allow keeping guys, why limit how many you can keep? Play dynasty and be done with it.

Also, I cant imagine why anyone would play in a league that limits you rostering certain positions. You can only have 4 Rbs, 5 Wrs, etc.

QB

RB

RB

WR

WR

WR

TE

Makes things a little more interesting and realistic, in my opinion. Wide receivers are simply much less valuable than RBs or even QBs in standard scoring.
The league I play in awards 0.1 points per yard, and 13 of the top 25 non-QB's were WR's, without PPR.

PPR makes WR's too valuable.

Last edited by a moderator:

QB

RB

RB

WR

WR

WR

TE

The league I play in awards 0.1 points per yard, and 13 of the top 25 non-QB's were WR's, without PPR.

Even though WRs may have been up there scoring-wise, RBs were still probably the priority because of the lack of depth. PPR also gives TEs a little more value. In non-PPR, it's almost boring and too "set in stone." In a 12 team league, probably 10-11 of the first round picks are going to be a RB. In PPR, it brings more strategy into play. Do I take a WR or TE earlier? Or maybe do I go ahead and grab a more valuable RB and wait on a WR who can still help my team?

QB

RB

RB

WR

WR

WR

TE

Even though WRs may have been up there scoring-wise, RBs were still probably the priority because of the lack of depth. PPR also gives TEs a little more value. In non-PPR, it's almost boring and too "set in stone." In a 12 team league, probably 10-11 of the first round picks are going to be a RB. In PPR, it brings more strategy into play. Do I take a WR or TE earlier? Or maybe do I go ahead and grab a more valuable RB and wait on a WR who can still help my team?
The boring and set in stone you speak of may be true in redraft. In dynasty, which is all I will play, fractional scoring(without ppr) evens the playing field, and smart owners draft the bpa.

QB

RB

RB

WR

WR

WR

TE

The boring and set in stone you speak of may be true in redraft. In dynasty, which is all I will play, fractional scoring(without ppr) evens the playing field, and smart owners draft the bpa.
Yeah, I love dynasty. In that instance, I wouldn't completely be against non-PPR, but I still just like PPR better. Seems fair to grant a player something for catching a pass.

Probably been mentioned but I dont like keeper leagues. If you are going to allow keeping guys, why limit how many you can keep? Play dynasty and be done with it.

Also, I cant imagine why anyone would play in a league that limits you rostering certain positions. You can only have 4 Rbs, 5 Wrs, etc.
This is also a peeve of mine. I hate limits on positions.

keeper leagues lame - keep them all or keep none.

redrafts lame - dynasty leagues rule.

2QB lame - just go standard and be done with it.

TE premium lame - Tight Ends are Tight Ends, they shouldn't get a points boost for being a Tight End. They are freaking Tight Ends for pete's sake.

Victory Points / Total Points lame - going head to head against other owners is a big part of what makes FF fun.

Disagree with the anti keeper league crowd. Dynasty leagues can run their course if there are too many weak owners or owners bail then finding a replacement can be tough. Keeper leagues involve alot of the same strategies as dynasty leagues but turning around a crappy team can happen much more quickly. My most fun league is a 3 person keeper league but it involves a salary cap, player contracts, free agent bids and an auction....very challenging and alot of fun.

keeper leagues lame - keep them all or keep none.

redrafts lame - dynasty leagues rule.

2QB lame - just go standard and be done with it.

TE premium lame - Tight Ends are Tight Ends, they shouldn't get a points boost for being a Tight End. They are freaking Tight Ends for pete's sake.

Victory Points / Total Points lame - going head to head against other owners is a big part of what makes FF fun.
I can see why Dynasty leagues are fun but why are redraft leagues lame? Redrafts are the main type of league. I think it's perfect doing both.

Disagree with the anti keeper league crowd. Dynasty leagues can run their course if there are too many weak owners or owners bail then finding a replacement can be tough. Keeper leagues involve alot of the same strategies as dynasty leagues but turning around a crappy team can happen much more quickly. My most fun league is a 3 person keeper league but it involves a salary cap, player contracts, free agent bids and an auction....very challenging and alot of fun.
Agreed, which is one advantage of salary cap / contract leagues.

I can see why Dynasty leagues are fun but why are redraft leagues lame? Redrafts are the main type of league. I think it's perfect doing both.
agree with that, but now that I been playing keeper league exclusively, i feel like i play random online redraft leagues just for the excitement of the draft itself. after the draft redraft league has no appeal for my anymore.

I think with the league so heavily weighted towards passing these days that those Fantasy leagues who went to full PPR need to consider scaling it back. I'd suggest 0.5PPR . This way a RB who has 15 rushes for 100 yards scores 5 points and a WR who has 6 catches for 80 for 7 points. Makes it much more equitable. The equalizer is obviously TDs and I'd think (but haven't checked stats to confirm) that RBs have more opportunities to score the closer a team gets to the goalline.

For me it's total points and TE premium leagues.

Neither of these systems make any sense to me. (I hate 2QB leagues, too) :D

What are your fantasy league pet peeves and why?

(I know I didn't include my reasons, but I'm a fatty, and dinner is almost ready!!!) :wub:
Team Defense... Once you go IDP.. you never go back...

beerbarron said:
For me it's total points and TE premium leagues.

Neither of these systems make any sense to me. (I hate 2QB leagues, too) :D

What are your fantasy league pet peeves and why?

(I know I didn't include my reasons, but I'm a fatty, and dinner is almost ready!!!) :wub:
Team Defense... Once you go IDP.. you never go back...
That's not true. I've done IDP leagues, not as big of a fan. I think they're OK but I prefer focusing on offensive players.

Don't like old school leagues with 2RB, 2WR, and no flex or PPR

IDP leagues that only start one or two IDPs.

TD only

No fraction scoring for yardage

My optimal format is a 0.5 PPR league with 1 QB, 1 RB, 2 WRs, 2 Flex, a TE and Def/ST.

I'm not a huge fan of full PPR, and I really don't like leagues where different positions have different PPR values.

I like medium size rosters for both redraft and dynasty; don't want the WW empty, but not having enough room to stash a couple of longshots stinks just as bad.

My biggest pet peeve is starting lineups with anything more than 6-7 starters at skill positions; especially in large leagues. I played a 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE league for a long time. It seemed like the perfect number of starters. To make for flexible strategies, I like to replace one RB and one WR with two flex spots.

I have also eventually dropped all of my IDP leagues. They can be fun, but like PPR, they seem to have issues making the best players get the most points, which bugs me. I think it's just hard to even reasonably reflect a guys ability with typical stats. Particularly with corners. For example, Revis is one of the best defensive players in the game. Try to find him on the typical IDP ranking. If you find him at all, he'll be way behind some awful corners and million other dudes who happen to be in good spots for collecting tackles.

Now, some creative leagues try to do a better job with this, but for the most part, aside from sacks, defensive "scoring" isn't very reflective of quality play. Tackles are the primary means of scoring, and they are horrible for determining who is playing well. MLB in a 4-3? - instant IDP monster regardless of whether you can play or not. Conversely, great cover corner generally equals bad stats.

Offensive scoring isn't perfect by any means, but IDP is brutal. I'd love to devise some system that actually values players fairly accurately. Better yet would be to have a system that allows your defensive players to drop your opponent's offensive scores somehow. So if you have Revis, you just say he is "covering" your opponents top WR, and figure out some ratio based on pass play snaps without a catch or something and apply it to the WR's numbers. Maybe a ####ty corner who gets burned can actually increase your opponents WR score. Pipe dream, I know.

also, I don't get the 1 QB / 1 RB / 1 WR / 1 TE / 4 Flex line up... pretty much makes trading useless
Odd, I'm in a league like this and out of all my leagues it has by far the most trading, I think it frees people up to deal guys for guys they like more and not have to worry about making sure they have a RB4, a WR5, a TE, etc!

Not a fan of PPR. I understand the concept, but there's gotta be a better way. I would try pushing .5 points per first down reception if they would show up in live scoring. TFL don't show up as it is...

If first downs were automatically scored by e.g. MFL I might give that a try and then drop PPR.

Not sure what the overall effect would be, though.

On one hand it may make RB more valuable but many teams use short yardage specialists

On the other hand it definitely would make WR less valuable (and thus RB more valuable by default)

It might also make TE more valuable.

Too lazy to crunch all these numbers though....

;)

If first downs were automatically scored by e.g. MFL I might give that a try and then drop PPR.

Not sure what the overall effect would be, though.

On one hand it may make RB more valuable but many teams use short yardage specialists

On the other hand it definitely would make WR less valuable (and thus RB more valuable by default)

It might also make TE more valuable.

Too lazy to crunch all these numbers though....

;)
dropping PPR would do that, but it appears WRs get a greater ratio of 1st Downs : yards than RBs do. Except maybe a few backs like Tolbert could gain value.

I have also eventually dropped all of my IDP leagues. They can be fun, but like PPR, they seem to have issues making the best players get the most points, which bugs me. I think it's just hard to even reasonably reflect a guys ability with typical stats. Particularly with corners. For example, Revis is one of the best defensive players in the game. Try to find him on the typical IDP ranking. If you find him at all, he'll be way behind some awful corners and million other dudes who happen to be in good spots for collecting tackles.

Now, some creative leagues try to do a better job with this, but for the most part, aside from sacks, defensive "scoring" isn't very reflective of quality play. Tackles are the primary means of scoring, and they are horrible for determining who is playing well. MLB in a 4-3? - instant IDP monster regardless of whether you can play or not. Conversely, great cover corner generally equals bad stats.

Offensive scoring isn't perfect by any means, but IDP is brutal. I'd love to devise some system that actually values players fairly accurately. Better yet would be to have a system that allows your defensive players to drop your opponent's offensive scores somehow. So if you have Revis, you just say he is "covering" your opponents top WR, and figure out some ratio based on pass play snaps without a catch or something and apply it to the WR's numbers. Maybe a ####ty corner who gets burned can actually increase your opponents WR score. Pipe dream, I know.
The fact that Revis has no value is not confusing for fantasy football. The cb opposite him will have a lot of value because he gets picked on more due to nobody throwing at Revis or a shut down type corner. In deep IDP leauges you have to find the up and coming corner getting picked on and if he becomes a solid corner and gets his picks defenses will start scheming away from him and his value decreases to the point he will usually be dropped or worthless the next year or so. You have to do your research and projections to find the up and coming bad corner or corner who gets picked on for a year or part of a season and pick him up. You are building a fantasy point scoring team, not an NFL starting team in most IDP cornerback scoring systems.

Play the fantasy point scoring game in the IDP fantasy league secondary You do not want the NFL's best shut down corner's. Dont hate the player, play the point scoring game. You dont want Mel Blounts, Patrick Petersons(kick returns not included) or Richard Shermans in fantasy IDP leagues, unlike reality.

In an IDP league the corner position is the only position where "poor nfl" players are potentially valuable. Safeties have this effect to some extent but nothing like the corner position. Safeties are very scheme and team dependent. They can and do very from year to year as well.

also, I don't get the 1 QB / 1 RB / 1 WR / 1 TE / 4 Flex line up... pretty much makes trading useless
Odd, I'm in a league like this and out of all my leagues it has by far the most trading, I think it frees people up to deal guys for guys they like more and not have to worry about making sure they have a RB4, a WR5, a TE, etc!
I just find it hard to trade, theres no reason to trade for 'need: aka I'll trade you a WR2 or a RB2 because theres no need for a RB2.

beerbarron said:

The fact that Revis has no value is not confusing for fantasy football. The cb opposite him will have a lot of value because he gets picked on more due to nobody throwing at Revis or a shut down type corner. In deep IDP leauges you have to find the up and coming corner getting picked on and if he becomes a solid corner and gets his picks defenses will start scheming away from him and his value decreases to the point he will usually be dropped or worthless the next year or so. You have to do your research and projections to find the up and coming bad corner or corner who gets picked on for a year or part of a season and pick him up. You are building a fantasy point scoring team, not an NFL starting team in most IDP cornerback scoring systems.

Play the fantasy point scoring game in the IDP fantasy league secondary You do not want the NFL's best shut down corner's. Dont hate the player, play the point scoring game. You dont want Mel Blounts, Patrick Petersons(kick returns not included) or Richard Shermans in fantasy IDP leagues, unlike reality.

In an IDP league the corner position is the only position where "poor nfl" players are potentially valuable. Safeties have this effect to some extent but nothing like the corner position. Safeties are very scheme and team dependent. They can and do very from year to year as well.
I know all of that about IDP, having played for many years in the past. You can score well by knowing the intricacies of the scoring system, essentially looking for bad NFL players who score well in fantasy, and avoiding the excellent NFL players who won't score well.

But while the correlation between real player value and fantasy is not at all perfect on the offensive side, it is generally never an INVERSE relationship like it often is for certain IDP positions. Part of me can just enjoy the IDP numbers game you are talking about, but another part just says "WTF, is this game really about targeting bad players over good players? How is this even 'fantasy football' any more?".

I want to go get Calvin or Luck or Gronk on my team and go root for them to be awesome. I don't want to acquire some no name CB to watch him suck. Now that isn't always the case - some of the best IDPs are really good NFL players too. But it happens enough that to me it's very frustrating. If I do fantasy football around defensive players, it would be much more enjoyable to me if ALL of the best players in the game were actually worth something, and NONE of the crappy ones are worth anything.

Edit. BTW, it's not just corners either. They are the worst, but there are other strange issues as well. Top line DTs are some of the most valuable players in the NFL, but they are rarely fantasy relevant at all. Where are linebacker plays has a MUCH bigger impact on his fantasy score than how good he actually is. The worst 4-3 MLB in the league might well be more fantasy valuable than the best SLB.

Users who are viewing this thread