What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Corey Williams To Be Traded To Cleveland (1 Viewer)

Ted Thompson did the same thing with Corey Williams that the Bills did years ago with Peerless Price (when they sent him to the Falcons). Tag him and use that to get a draft pick (or whatever) back from another team rather than lose the player for nothing in free agency.

TT knows how to go this GM thing. :thumbup:

Edit to switch Bills and Falcons. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Via Washington Post.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsins...ml?nav=rss_blog

... Around the league, the trade market is cooking and those D Tackles are moving fast. Sources say Stroud and Rogers could be swapped and Jacksonville looking for at least a second rounder for Stroud and would retain him unless value is offered. Corey Williams has been traded to Cleveland - it will be announced come midnight, sources said, and another name player, Jon Vilma, is very very close to beaing dealt to the Saints (Sources said the Skins nosed around on him but nothing serious).

Wonder if Williams will play DE with Shaun Smith in the middle?
I think that's a safe assumption. Smith was originally acquired to play the nose and Williams has proven some pass rushing capability from inside, which would make him a little more attractive outside in a 3-4.

Packers to trade DT Williams

The Green Bay Packers slapped the "franchise tag" on free-agent defensive tackle Corey Williams, so that means he'll be playing at Lambeau Field in 2008, right? Not necessarily, Cheesehead.

If another team wants to sign Williams, it would have to give up two first-round draft picks to Green Bay as compensation. That'd be a steep price to pay for any player, especially for a defensive tackle who has started only 20 games in four seasons. A more likely scenario is that the team could work out a trade with the Packers.

Don't be surprised if a Williams trade is among the early moves when the NFL's free-agency period opens at 12:01 a.m. ET Friday. A league source I talked to practically guaranteed it.

"Someone is going to trade for him," said the source. "It's going to happen. He's not going to play for Green Bay. I'm telling you he's gone. The first day -- he's gone."

In fact, the Washington Post reported on its website Thursday night that Williams would be dealt to Cleveland.

There's not a lot of quality defensive tackles available in this year's free-agent class, so that's why a team would be interested in Williams, a 6-4, 313-pound lineman who can play both the 3-technique position and nose tackle. He is better than average against the run and had seven sacks in each of the last two seasons.

The Packers rotate defensive tackles and appear to have a lot of depth. Ryan Pickett is a starter, end Cullen Jenkins moves inside on passing downs and Johnny Jolly and Daniel Muir also are in the picture. Then there is Justin Harrell, their first-round draft pick in '07. Harrell didn't exactly light up the league as a rookie but eventually could develop into a top tackle.

If Packers GM Ted Thompson believes there is enough talent at tackle among those guys, Williams certainly would be expendable. For now, he wears the Green Bay franchise tag. By Friday afternoon, he could belong to another team.

Senior writer Dennis Dillon covers the NFL for Sporting News. E-mail him at ddillon@sportingnews.com.

I love this move! I wanted the Browns to sign Williams before GB tagged him. He's perfect for a 3-4 DE or can even rotate to NT if needed. I think he is a value if we gave up a second rounder and a steal if we gave up a third.

JSonline

Report: Packers trade DT Williams to Cleveland

By Greg A. Bedard

Thursday, Feb 28 2008, 09:13 PM

Green Bay - The Packers have agreed to trade defensive tackle Corey Williams to the Cleveland Browns, according to a report on the website of the Washington Post.

The report does not say what the Packers got in return for the 27-year-old Williams. The trade should be announced after 11 p.m. central time, when the NFL trading period begins.

The Journal Sentinel reported Tuesday that league insiders thought the Packers would seek a second-round pick for Williams.

The Packers surprised some by placing the franchise tag on Williams, which called for any club to surrender two first-round picks to the Packers if they signed Williams. But by placing the tag on Williams, Packers general manager Ted Thompson basically bought more time to either sign Williams to a long-term contract, or trade him for less that two first-round picks. It appears the Packers have opted to do the latter.

This story on the Sporting News website also talks about the Packers' plan to trade Williams.

Since Williams has been tagged by the Packers, the move is essentially a sign-and-trade. Williams will sign his franchise tender ($6.363 million for one season) with the Packers and then be traded to the Cleveland Browns, who will sign Williams to a long-term contract.

The trade will likely appease Williams, who posted seven sacks each of the past two seasons despite being a part-time player on the Packers' deep defensive line. Getting the franchise tag keeps players from getting any money up front in the form of a signing bonus. Williams should receive a hefty signing bonus in addition to a multi-year contract.

DEVELOPING

Good call Aaron. It sure would be nice if they get a 2nd out of him. He was expendable, especially for his price now and potentially in the future. I wouldn't doubt TT picks up another DT in this draft that can step into that rotation, and hopefully we get to see this year why Harrell was worthy of a 1st rounder. While most the league is desperate for DT's right now, Green Bay has a stockpile of them.Great work TT. Shrewd.

I love this move! I wanted the Browns to sign Williams before GB tagged him. He's perfect for a 3-4 DE or can even rotate to NT if needed. I think he is a value if we gave up a second rounder and a steal if we gave up a third.
:dancingaroundincircles:

Debatable. This is a decent draft in a few areas like CB and OL so Green Bay could be getting the value as they could be filling needs, and Corey has been very effective for the Pack on a part time basis. Cleveland's about to give him full time starter money and expect him to always play at the level he did in Green Bay. Could be good. We'll see.

Good move for both teams. Williams is better than any free agent DL or any DL that would have been available in round 2.
I'd agree, and based on rumors I'm seeing/hearing is that Cleveland's 2nd would be involved.
Fantastic move by TT if they get a 2nd. Even a lower pick is better than we would have gotten had he walked. Bigtime thumbs up Mr. Polar Bear!

Debatable. This is a decent draft in a few areas like CB and OL so Green Bay could be getting the value as they could be filling needs, and Corey has been very effective for the Pack on a part time basis. Cleveland's about to give him full time starter money and expect him to always play at the level he did in Green Bay. Could be good. We'll see.
By no means am I evaluating the Packers side of the deal while I'm dancing. Getting a 2nd for a player that would have walked is great.From the Browns point of view, are you saying if he wasn't tagged he would not have been one of the top, if not the top, Dlinemen in free agency? I've seen enough of the Browns Dline thru the years, I'm very happy with this.

I'm very happy with a 2nd round pick here. It's much better to have a promising rookie to develop at probably of a position of higher need for at least 4 years than a player who could be a distraction at the deepest position on the team for likely only one year. Meanwhile Cleveland is getting a much better defensive lineman than they would in the second, assuming Corey doesn't get lazy after he gets his big contract extension.

TT knows how to go this GM thing. :thumbup:
Could not agree more.
Except, technically, what he did violates the CBA. I have no problem with it though, given no one will ever try to make an issue of this infraction. It just goes to show how perverted the "Franchise" tag has become from its original intent.
The intent of the franchise tag was to make it more difficult for top players to jump from team to team and torment the hometown fans. How does this not agree with that intent?

I'm very happy with a 2nd round pick here. It's much better to have a promising rookie to develop at probably of a position of higher need for at least 4 years than a player who could be a distraction at the deepest position on the team for likely only one year. Meanwhile Cleveland is getting a much better defensive lineman than they would in the second, assuming Corey doesn't get lazy after he gets his big contract extension.
Good move for both teams and what I expected when he was franchised...though, several people on several sites told me I was stupid to think he would be traded.

Good move for both teams and what I expected when he was franchised...though, several people on several sites told me I was stupid to think he would be traded.
I would stop visiting those sites. :eek:

snorlax said:
vandyt said:
Aaronstory said:
trader jake said:
TT knows how to go this GM thing. :popcorn:
Could not agree more.
Except, technically, what he did violates the CBA. I have no problem with it though, given no one will ever try to make an issue of this infraction. It just goes to show how perverted the "Franchise" tag has become from its original intent.
The intent of the franchise tag was to make it more difficult for top players to jump from team to team and torment the hometown fans. How does this not agree with that intent?
The CBA states that the franchise tag cannot be used to hold a player's rights just so that the team can negotiate a trade for that player. It's never enforced, but its obvious thats what TT did here. Again, as I said, I dont have a real problem with it, since everyone does it....its just a good example of how the franchise tag is irrelevant in today's NFL, and will likely disappear or reappear in a significantly different form in the new CBA that will be negotiated hopefully before 2010.

Good move here by TT. Williams may or may not turn out to be worth the 45-50 Million that Cleveland is about to sign him for, but the Packers have too many other options at DT to even consider giving him that kind of coin.

As for the pick, 56th isn't exactly the 2nd I was hoping for, but it does give the pack 3 in the first two rounds.

TT did that in 2006 and added:

AJ Hawk

Daryn Colledge

Greg Jennings

TT also did that in 2005 and drafted

Aaron Rodgers

Nick Collins

Terrance Murphy (who looked great before succuming to a career ending injury)

I fully expect the Packer secondary to get a lot better. Real quick. TT will hit on a young CB in this draft, and having this extra pick will probably allow him to double down on his bet.

trader jake said:
Ted Thompson did the same thing with Corey Williams that the Falcosn did years ago with Peerless Price (when they sent him to Buffalo). Tag him and use that to get a draft pick (or whatever) back from another team rather than lose the player for nothing in free agency.TT knows how to go this GM thing. :thumbup:
Not to get OT, but Buffalo was the one that tagged and traded Price to the Falcons, not the other way around.

Wow and if #4 doesnt come back you can add to that anohter 12 mill.
Doesn't matter if we're 100 million under. TT isn't one to pull a Daniel Snyder or Al Davis or Jerry Jones and go out there flinging cash around at overpriced FA's. He's clearly a draft builder and it's worked wonderfully since he came here. He will use that money to sign our picks and reward our current players however. 4 picks in the first two rounds is fantastic. Our fairly deep team is about to get even deeper.

Doesn't matter if we're 100 million under. TT isn't one to pull a Daniel Snyder or Al Davis or Jerry Jones and go out there flinging cash around at overpriced FA's. He's clearly a draft builder and it's worked wonderfully since he came here. He will use that money to sign our picks and reward our current players however. 4 picks in the first two rounds is fantastic. Our fairly deep team is about to get even deeper.
any thought that they snag a RB with one of those picks?

But, if the right guy was there...he will not hesitate to open up the wallet and pay for him...otherwise Woodson and Pickett would be on different teams. He signed Manuel that year too (who busted out, but was a top rated FA that year).TT has stated that he will dabble in FA if he thinks they are close. Last year was not a great market for FAs and I don't think anyone thought they were all that close. Now that they are. I could see him signing a few 2nd and 3rd tier guys for depth at places like CB, LB, Oline, DE....lock up any other guys already on the team with long term deals (not sure when Jennings is up...redo Grant's deal...probably have to do something with Rodgers soon too)

Not sure. I could see a FA. They are already so young at RB right now.I bet he wishes he had the Brandon Jackson pick back so he could take a back this year. Much more talent at RB this year.

Good move by both teams. Cleveland was so awful on defense Williams will help. They are going to sign him to a 6 year $38 million dollar deal. Not bad, but I'm glad the Packers didn't do that. You to have to hope Williams stays motivated. Williams was a 5th rounder, they can grab another one late to help fill the rotation. Now the Packers have 3 picks in the top 60 (I wouldn't be surprised if they trade out of the 1st either to pick up more picks, and $24 million to extend their own guys (Jennings). Nicely done by TT. I will be anxious to see what else they do, they have already signed a backup lineman. This is exactly how to run it. Williams was good but was not a vital part of the team. They cleared $6 million off the books and picked up a pick.

vandyt said:
Aaronstory said:
trader jake said:
TT knows how to go this GM thing. :popcorn:
Could not agree more.
This was asked earlier with no answer so I will ask it again. How does this violate the CBA?

Not sure. I could see a FA. They are already so young at RB right now.I bet he wishes he had the Brandon Jackson pick back
I'd bet not. Jackson showed much promise at the end of last season. Are there much better RBs in this class? Yes, but it's also a deep draft at the CB position, which is where they need the most help, and they now have three first day picks that they don't need to use on a RB.

vandyt said:
Aaronstory said:
trader jake said:
TT knows how to go this GM thing. :thumbdown:
Could not agree more.
This was asked earlier with no answer so I will ask it again. How does this violate the CBA?
It was answered in post 27

Not sure. I could see a FA. They are already so young at RB right now.I bet he wishes he had the Brandon Jackson pick back
I'd bet not. Jackson showed much promise at the end of last season. Are there much better RBs in this class? Yes, but it's also a deep draft at the CB position, which is where they need the most help, and they now have three first day picks that they don't need to use on a RB.
It wouldn't surprise me at all to see the Packers add one of the smaller backs in this draft with one of their first four picks. Grant is their starting RB, but his biggest weakness is catching the ball out of the backfield. Just isn't natural at doing it. Adding a complimentary player to him for those situations could improve their 3rd down offense dramatically. If that guy could return kicks or punts the pick would make even more sense.Chris Johnson????

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see the Packers add one of the smaller backs in this draft with one of their first four picks. Grant is their starting RB, but his biggest weakness is catching the ball out of the backfield. Just isn't natural at doing it. Adding a complimentary player to him for those situations could improve their 3rd down offense dramatically. If that guy could return kicks or punts the pick would make even more sense.Chris Johnson????
I disagree...IMO...if they add a RB (FA or draft) it will be a bigger back. They were brutal on 3rd and short and I would love to see a bruiser come in ...something they don't really have.Duckett or Dayne may get a look. As for the draft...Id love a tweener like Hester from LSU. That guy is just tough as nails.

I disagree...IMO...if they add a RB (FA or draft) it will be a bigger back. They were brutal on 3rd and short and I would love to see a bruiser come in ...something they don't really have.Duckett or Dayne may get a look. As for the draft...Id love a tweener like Hester from LSU. That guy is just tough as nails.
I don't think the pick will be a db in the first. This is a deep db class and with the bump and run system the Packers run, they are looking for players with a different skill set than most other teams. They need physical corners who can press at the line of scrimmage.

Just realized Cleveland doesn't draft now until the 3rd round.
Can someone confirm the price?Latest news is Cleveland gave up their third rounder instead of second rounder.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/F/FBN...EMPLATE=DEFAULT

... Also Friday, the Browns were nearing a trade for Green Bay defensive tackle Corey Williams.

Williams, who tied a career-high with seven sacks last season, was designated as the Packers' franchise player last week. The Browns were expected to send a third-round draft pick to the Packers for the 6-foot-4, 313-pound lineman.

Just realized Cleveland doesn't draft now until the 3rd round.
Can someone confirm the price?Latest news is Cleveland gave up their third rounder instead of second rounder.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/F/FBN...EMPLATE=DEFAULT

... Also Friday, the Browns were nearing a trade for Green Bay defensive tackle Corey Williams.

Williams, who tied a career-high with seven sacks last season, was designated as the Packers' franchise player last week. The Browns were expected to send a third-round draft pick to the Packers for the 6-foot-4, 313-pound lineman.
This is the first place I've seen it as a 3rd. No sense in linking all the 2nd's. We won't know for sure until there is an official announcement from the Browns/Pack/NFL.

Cornerback, Safety, Guard, Tackle in the first four, though not necessarily in that order. Some chance a t.E. sneaks in if one drops and presents great value

Users who are viewing this thread