What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Could you eat the same thing every single day for at least one meal the rest of your life? (1 Viewer)

Could you eat the same food item every single day the rest of your life? (See qualifiers in OP)

• Yes (if yes, please identify the food item below)

Votes: 42 65.6%
  • No

Votes: 22 34.4%

• Total voters

Zow

Footballguy
So I was listening to a NFL draft podcast on my morning jog this morning and learned that Mel Kiper, Jr., amongst other bizarre dietary habits such as eating mashed potatoes on pizza after removing the cheese, eats pumpkin pie every single day. Apparently, Mel does this daily by eating just the filling (not the crust) with a massive amount of whipped cream.

Upon hearing the above, after getting over my initial disgust at Mel it got me thinking whether there's an actual food item I could eat once a day and enjoy. After this thought basically dominating the remainder of my run, I still could not decide. I love things like a well-made Wagyu ribeye or filet, a cheesesteak from Angelo's, pizza for Pizzeria Bianco or something similar, a couple of Thai dishes from Lotus of Siam, and this absolutely amazing skirt steak prepared by this New Mexican restaurant in Mesa, AZ - but all of those things are so filling that I actually don't think I could eat them daily. The only food item I could come up with that is both delicious enough and light enough to consume for one meal daily is something called a "sushi burrito" from my favorite sushi place in Vegas as I could see myself eating that for lunch daily for a long time. I also think there's this sea bass dish prepared by this New Mexican restaurant in Sedona that I could eat daily. But, even then, I do think both would get old after awhile.

So, I put this to the board - could you do something similar to Mel Kiper and eat the same food item daily?? I think he's nuts but want to gauge others' reactions to his dietary quirks. I will say in my own life one of my son's classmates eats the same microwavable dinosaur chicken nuggets for dinner every single day but, well, he's 6 years old and I assume will grow out of this by adulthood. Put differently, I am shocked a functioning adult with money to spend on food variety like Mel exists who purposely chooses to eat the same thing daily.

Please vote with the following qualifiers in mind:
1. This is the same food "item." What I mean by that is that, much like his pumpkin pie, it must be a specific food item such "cheese pizza," "ribeye steak," pasta with tomato sauce and meatballs," etc. In other words, your answer cannot be eating a geographical collection of food (e.g. Chinese food, Italian food, Mexican food, tacos, etc.) that offers variety. Additionally, you cannot say that you'd eat at the same restaurant (e.g. "I'd eat at Ruth's Chris every day") as, again, that offers you variety. It must be the same food item.
2. The above qualifier notwithstanding, the food item may be prepared by different restaurants or chefs. For example, if you choose cheese pizza, you can assume you can get cheese pizza from homemade to Little Caesar's to Sally's Apizza or John's on Bleeker or whatever. But, it must always be cheese pizza (i.e. you can't switch it up to a BBQ chicken pizza or some such that offers variety).
3. You are not to consider dietary impact. In other words, this poll is truly based on taste and I don't want answers such as "well, I could truly eat a cheesesteak daily but because of the negative health impact I won't." Assume you will live your normal lifespan regardless of whether you eat this item daily.
4. Similarly, you are not to consider cost or logistics. Assume that, should you choose some unique dish served only in China or whatever that you were lucky to have once, that it's both logistically possible and affordable to have it served to you daily.
5. This one food item requirement can be had once per day but it must be significant enough to be one of your primary meals. What this means, for example, is that should you choose a breakfast item (e.g. pancakes), you are not required to eat pancakes for lunch and dinner. But, your answer cannot be something that does not constitute a significant food intake such as "I could eat a snack size bag of pistachios everyday." My goal with this poll is to stay within Kiper's apparent parameters of eating a significant sized piece of pumpkin pie daily (which, let's be honest, probably has enough calories to constitute a meal).
6. You must eat this item daily for the rest of your life and you should assume you have at least five (5) more years to live - meaning you will eat this item for at least the next 1,825 days.
7. You much actually truly believe you will still enjoy to happily tolerate the food. In other words, "can" (or "could") is more loosely defined in this poll as, obviously, anybody can eat just about anything put in front of them daily if it's the only option (e.g. prisoners) but they do not enjoy it. Mel actually still enjoys pumpkin pie.

OKAY, THE TL;DR QUESTION IS: ARE YOU LIKE MEL KIPER, JR. WHERE YOU'D ACTUALLY CHOOSE TO EAT THE SAME MEAL ITEM DAILY AND, IF SO, WHAT IS THAT ITEM?

Last edited:
I would say easily.

I currently almost eat eggs in some form every day. I don't not eat them because I'm bored, just some days I'll skip breakfast.

Can't tell you the last time I didn't have a cold brew coffee....does that count?
No, it's gotta be something that carries a similar caloric sustenance to a meal. So, coffee (or pretty much any drink unless it's like a protein shake) doesn't count.

Eggs for breakfast daily does count, however.

I could eat two slices of (good) pizza everyday for lunch if I had to.

I could eat an egg and cheese sandwich for breakfast every morning if I had to.
You don't "have to" like a prison inmate has to eat what is served to him. This poll assumes you'd choose to as Kiper chooses to eat pumpkin pie daily.

Breakfast would be easy actually- I could eat a bowl of cereal every morning or just buttered bread every morning (instead of egg and cheese sandwich)

You don't "have to" like a prison inmate has to eat what is served to him. This poll assumes you'd choose to as Kiper chooses to eat pumpkin pie daily.
No I wouldn’t choose to - why would anyone if that’s the case?

I don't know. Hence the poll because, apparently, at least one functioning adult on this planet (Kiper) does.

You asked “could” by the way. That’s why I added “if I had to”. I could do those things easily. If I had the choice not to, there’s no reason to commit to it though.

I don't know. Hence the poll because, apparently, at least one functioning adult on this planet (Kiper) does.
Yeah but you asked if we could? I don't know if I would force myself too.... I don't think your question wording matches the answers you are looking for compared to Kiper

I could, but do not know if i would want to.

dishes i could live off of:

BBQ pork chow fun
har gow
Thai or Vietnamese grilled pork, beef, or chicken
mu shu
ribs
steak frites

Yeah but you asked if we could? I don't know if I would force myself too.... I don't think your question wording matches the answers you are looking for compared to Kiper
I did, and then I laid out 7 specific qualifiers trying to explain what I meant. :wink:

With the same toppings each day? I could eat pizza everyday but I'd have different toppings and the criteria here is the exact same toppings so my response is "no. can't do it"

I did, and then I laid out 7 specific qualifiers trying to explain what I meant. :wink:
Yeah, but it’s still not conveying what you’re trying to.

• Sad
Reactions: Zow
I do this now for basically all of my meals. Of course, it isn't literally every single day as occasionally I have social dinners out or will be on vacation or whatever. But it is probably 325 days a year that I eat the same thing.

My mother does this. She’s had the same breakfast all my life. 1Egg cheese omelet, 1piece of wheat toast, cut in half. and English breakfast tea With warmed milk. orange marmalade on the second half of the toast. Every day. I almost do it now with an egg white scramble. But it’s slightly different everyday depending on the veggies we have on hand. I also skip breakfast sometimes. does that count? My mom”s is identical Every day.

My mother does this. She’s had the same breakfast all my life. 1Egg cheese omelet, 1piece of wheat toast, cut in half. and English breakfast tea With warmed milk. orange marmalade on the second half of the toast. Every day. I almost do it now with an egg white scramble. But it’s slightly different everyday depending on the veggies we have on hand. I also skip breakfast sometimes. does that count? My mom”s is identical Every day.
Your mom's breakfast is exactly what I'm getting at.

Your scramble wouldn't because you're not eating it daily.

Yeah, but it’s still not conveying what you’re trying to.
Based on the responses, you're probably right.

OKAY, THE TL;DR QUESTION IS: ARE YOU LIKE MEL KIPER, JR. WHERE YOU'D ACTUALLY CHOOSE TO EAT THE SAME MEAL ITEM DAILY AND, IF SO, WHAT IS THAT ITEM?

“Could” and “Would” are two very different things - you should basically be asking if anyone actually does eat the same thing everyday like Kiper does with pumpkin pie. I think that’s what you really want to know - - why anyone would chose to do so.

Reactions: Zow
No, and it's a pretty effed up thing to celebrate.

I see parents announcing their 6 year old is a picky eater with the same pride as telling you the little spud can do long division.
Heroes are hard to come by these days but a 6 year old that can do long division is one of mine.

I would eat the same breakfast everyday, but sometimes I can’t when my schedule changes.

Smoothie, protein bar and oatmeal every day when i have time.

“Could” and “Would” are two very different things - you should basically be asking if anyone actually does eat the same thing everyday like Kiper does with pumpkin pie. I think that’s what you really want to know - - why anyone would chose to do so.
I hear you. I think I was hung up on the likelihood of somebody saying, "well, yeah, I would eat a cheesesteak daily if I could, but I don't because I can't for health reasons." Or, similarly, "I would eat a cheesesteak from Angelo's daily if I could, but I can't because I live in Alaska and can't afford to have one flown in fresh daily from Philly." I wanted to remove those two likely barriers.

Just about every work day, I drink black coffee and eat an orange for breakfast. At 11, I go into the kitchen and make virtually the same sandwich. Toasted bread, horseradish mayo, some sort of mustard, lettuce, pickles and either low-sodium turkey, chicken or ham (whatever is cheapest that week). And that's 5 days a week for the last 2-3 years and I'm not planning on changing.

Pumpkin pie isn't a meal though, it's a dessert. I could most certainly eat a cinnamon roll or some chocolate chip cookies every single day.

Last edited:

Of course I wouldn’t choose to. But yes, I could quite easily.

Off the top of my head, Sichuan Chili Beef over White Rice. Taking into account all of your parameters (e.g., disregarding nutrition), I could easily eat that every day for the rest of my life.

Pumpkin pie isn't a meal though, it's a dessert. I could most certainly eat a couple of chocolate chip cookies or oreos every single day.
The amount he has, to me, constitutes a meal and I think is distinguishable from a couple of Oreos (which, yeah, I could totally see eating daily).

I believe the podcast said he eats something like 2 large-sized pies per week and 12 (yes, 12!) cans of whipped cream per week or some craziness. So, it seemed to me this was an actual meal versus a quick snack or treat.

I currently almost eat eggs in some form every day.

I make fantastic omelets, and I make myself one every day I work from home (3x/week) and frequently on weekends.

Having an omelet every day would be a cinch for me, even if was the same type every day.

I think I could eat sushi daily, but I'm not 100% positive. Every day for a month would be effortless. Probably six months, too.

I currently almost eat eggs in some form every day.

I make fantastic omelets, and I make myself one every day I work from home (3x/week) and frequently on weekends.

Having an omelet every day would be a cinch for me, even if was the same type every day.

I think I could eat sushi daily, but I'm not 100% positive. Every day for a month would be effortless. Probably six months, too.
I definitely have sushi very high up on my list of food items* I could eat daily for an extended period of time, too. Just indefinitely seems so unlikely to me.

*Though under my parameters it would probably have to be the same roll (e.g. Philadelphia roll) or same Nigiri combination.

Pumpkin pie isn't a meal though, it's a dessert.
And IMHO without crust, like Mel does it, it's even easier. A cup of what's basically pumpkin custard (kinda) with some whipped cream? Sounds like an evening snack more than a meal. I like pumpkin pie, too, and I could do that daily for an indefinite period.

The amount he has, to me, constitutes a meal and I think is distinguishable from a couple of Oreos (which, yeah, I could totally see eating daily).

I believe the podcast said he eats something like 2 large-sized pies per week and 12 (yes, 12!) cans of whipped cream per week or some craziness. So, it seemed to me this was an actual meal versus a quick snack or treat.
There are 8 slices in any normally cut pie. So 2 pies = 16 slices. 16 slices over 7 days...that's basically 2 slices of pie per day. Then you just eat the pumpkin filling only and no crust...that's really not that big of a deal. The amount and texture is similar to eating a big bowl of yogurt which people do for breakfast all the time.

I'd say the pumpkin filling of 2 pieces of pie is pretty equivalent to a cinnamon roll or 3-4 chocolate chip cookies. I could easily eat that every single day for breakfast or after a meal.

12 cans of whipped cream has to be exaggerated. That's close to 3/4 of a can for every single slice of pie without the crust.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread