What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Derek Anderson Flip Out (1 Viewer)

This shows why Derek Anderson is not a winner. You never see Tom Brady or Peyton Manning laughing on the sideline when he is losing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Geez, he really took that comment hard. I'd say it was one of those heat of the moment deals, so he'll probably come out and apologise. You know, his teammates may like his fire.

Give the dude a break. He is not playing well, the team is not helping him (see: "Cardinal running game"), and some jerk-off reporter is asking him if he was smiling or laughing on the sideline ONCE during a three hour game.

Everyone loves the QB who can 'shake it off' and has a 'short memory.' So why can't the dude have a chuckle on the sidelines? Emotions are up and down. It's a long season and they have been losing ALOT. You want him to be depressed for 5 months straight?

This is just another example of piling on and looking for something to blame. He's not a good quarterback; that doesn't mean he takes the game lightly or doesn't care about losing.

He's helped kill my fantasy teams (Fitz in both my leagues) but give the dude a break.

Give the dude a break. He is not playing well, the team is not helping him (see: "Cardinal running game"), and some jerk-off reporter is asking him if he was smiling or laughing on the sideline ONCE during a three hour game.Everyone loves the QB who can 'shake it off' and has a 'short memory.' So why can't the dude have a chuckle on the sidelines? Emotions are up and down. It's a long season and they have been losing ALOT. You want him to be depressed for 5 months straight? This is just another example of piling on and looking for something to blame. He's not a good quarterback; that doesn't mean he takes the game lightly or doesn't care about losing.He's helped kill my fantasy teams (Fitz in both my leagues) but give the dude a break.
:thumbup:

any video of the "laugh" that has been mentioned..?

I think in a lot of situations we dont get a great view of context when just caught on camera.

People react to things in different ways especially in stressful situations.... uncomfortable laughter , nervous smile, etc.

Give the dude a break. He is not playing well, the team is not helping him (see: "Cardinal running game"), and some jerk-off reporter is asking him if he was smiling or laughing on the sideline ONCE during a three hour game.Everyone loves the QB who can 'shake it off' and has a 'short memory.' So why can't the dude have a chuckle on the sidelines? Emotions are up and down. It's a long season and they have been losing ALOT. You want him to be depressed for 5 months straight? This is just another example of piling on and looking for something to blame. He's not a good quarterback; that doesn't mean he takes the game lightly or doesn't care about losing.He's helped kill my fantasy teams (Fitz in both my leagues) but give the dude a break.
:lmao:

It's odd how some people want to see players go out and obliterate each other on the field, but want to protect the players from discomfort during questioning.

:unsure:
:shock: Alot guys in here act like they have never played sports before. There is always one guy on the team that just doesn't let losing bother them as much and can always make you laugh regardless of how your feeling and maybe Deuce is that guy. There's been times were we were losing by like 30(basketball) and there was a guys that would always come by me and say "having fun yet?" and as mad as I was all i could do was laugh.

:unsure: Quality meltdown. That said, a laugh on the sidelines is no big deal.
:thumbup: It would be different if he was laughing and carrying on for an extended period of time, but just because a guy chuckles on the sideline during a bad loss doesn't automatically mean he doesn't care. Some of these reporters seem to want to make themselves feel better by trying to make others look bad.

Whoever the "reporter" was talking that tone with a professional athlete must have a huge "little man complex"
I thought the reporter was as calm, cordial and professional as he could have possibly been. ;)
No "professional" would ask a question like that. That guy was a hack. That was a lame try to publicly scold the player, not an attempt to obtain any useful information for a news piece.
Yeah, it was completely unprofessional. But everyone who cares at all about this Cardinals team was sickened and possibly quite angry about what we had just witnessed. I fully support Kent Somers asking that question, even if he's supposed to be unbiased.
The worst part, to me, is Somers pretending like he's never seen a player laugh or smile while in that situation. Ask the question, fine. It was nationally televised, after all. And Anderson answered it right away, "Private conversation". That moment getting caught on TV doesn't mean he needs to recount the exact moment, line-by-line to some beat reporter. But you take any blowout loss, and watch the moment the game ends. The losing players are smiling, laughing, catching up with their buddies that just stomped them. They don't storm off the field in a rage, and angrily seethe by their lockers in a Kent Somers-approved volcano of emotion. And if you've ever been on the losing end of a game like that, you are familiar with the concept of laugh so you don't cry. Somers continuing to press the case, stinks like a reporter getting ready to publish some, "THIS is what's wrong with the whole Cards team" manifesto. Anderson saw him coming a mile away, and while it won't stop the hatchet job surely coming, glad he got some shots in. Bottom line, Somers pretended like he's never seen a player smile during a loss, asked a question, didn't like the answer, kept pushing, and was basically effing with Anderson. Not really fair to do that, and it sure ain't his job. And it doesn't make it more right because Fitz is stinking up your fantasy team.

Cameras capturing something and freezing a moment in time out of context can distort the overall reality. Announcers then drawing further attention to it do the same.

I was watching the game. yes, for a moment he had a smile on his face. Gruden went on a miny rant about him not taking the matter seriously. the cameras went right back to him hoping to capture more, but there was no more. he was on his feet, looking towards the field, and looking quite stern when they tried to capture more.

Before I accept Gruden's commentary on this I remember he also said the Commissioner will likely step in and toss the NFC West Champion from the playoffs if they are 7-9 and replace them with a team with a better record. In short I take what Gruden says for the humor it is worth, and with it is sometimes meant.

the whole thing was a non-incident. The reporter was a bit of a putz, and then DA over-reacted, proving he was upset by the game which, ironically, was the whole point of th ematter.

;) Big deal.
it was a "they were who we thought they were" level meltdown. . Derek went from, "Yeah, it was sort of funny to me," to, "IT'S NOT FUNNY. YOU THINK I DON'T TAKE THIS #### SERIOUSLY?!" and yelling and storming out. I'd feel bad for him... then i remember he's a millionaire.
The only similarity is that the presser was at the same podium. It's not even in the same league as Denny Green's flip.
Anderson sure knows how to talk over folks and also thinks the louder he yells the better the outcome. That didn't work so he stormed off...looked pretty bad.
I thought it was a dumb question and the reporter didn't let it go. So DA smiled on the sideline...so what

;) Quality meltdown. That said, a laugh on the sidelines is no big deal.
I agree. Just watched the replay and DA was not laughing. Just a half assed smile. The lineman was talking to him and may have said something amusing. The whole lasted maybe 8-10 seconds.

Cameras capturing something and freezing a moment in time out of context can distort the overall reality. Announcers then drawing further attention to it do the same.

I was watching the game. yes, for a moment he had a smile on his face. Gruden went on a miny rant about him not taking the matter seriously. the cameras went right back to him hoping to capture more, but there was no more. he was on his feet, looking towards the field, and looking quite stern when they tried to capture more.

Before I accept Gruden's commentary on this I remember he also said the Commissioner will likely step in and toss the NFC West Champion from the playoffs if they are 7-9 and replace them with a team with a better record. In short I take what Gruden says for the humor it is worth, and with it is sometimes meant.

the whole thing was a non-incident. The reporter was a bit of a putz, and then DA over-reacted, proving he was upset by the game which, ironically, was the whole point of th ematter.
No, he said that if HE were commissioner that's what he would do.

No, he said that if HE were commissioner that's what he would do.
My memory could have failed me there but I remember him saying that the commissioner would do so, but after being pushed on that comment by Jaws and Tirico him modifying the statement to what you have set forth. I'll take you at your word for how it went down. I was drinking, distracted by other matters in the room (a waitress with huge tacts of land and a very tight can), and I'm old and easily confused.

I think the rest of my point stands though I realize that individuals each have a perspective on what constitutes appropriate behavior in response to a butt-kicking and that some would not wish to see a leader have even a moment of levity or respond to gallows humor undr those circumstances. i can appreciate that for some a leader must always be "on" during a game.

I thought Anderson handled it unbelievably poorly, and Kent Somers did what a beat writer is supposed to do, ask the relevant question. When the national TV crew dissects Anderson laughing on the TV broadcast, it's much more germane to the "beat" to inquire about that then some plain vanilla fill-in-the-blanks question that 90% of these post game Q&As are filled with. Sometimes we forget to put ourselves in other people's shoes. Somers job is to create a story, and therefore sell papers, EVERY DAY covering a moribund team. At that moment, Anderson laughing was THE story.

Now I personally don't dig much on what beat writers have to say for this very reason. But don't condemn the guy for doing his job. What fan among us can honestly say it doesn't drive you nuts when you see laughing in blowouts? Aaron Brooks was vilified for it every time he made a bad play. As an Eagles season ticket holder, I can't tell you how many times fans in the stands lost their minds when McNabb would be seen walking off the field with a smirk after a pass thrown into the ground on a key 3rd and long or some other such mistake.

DA should have just been honest with the question. "someone farted over on the sideline and i thought it was funny"

end of story and justified, because everyone knows that farts and fart jokes are hilarious.

I thought Anderson handled it unbelievably poorly, and Kent Somers did what a beat writer is supposed to do, ask the relevant question. When the national TV crew dissects Anderson laughing on the TV broadcast, it's much more germane to the "beat" to inquire about that then some plain vanilla fill-in-the-blanks question that 90% of these post game Q&As are filled with. Sometimes we forget to put ourselves in other people's shoes. Somers job is to create a story, and therefore sell papers, EVERY DAY covering a moribund team. At that moment, Anderson laughing was THE story.

Now I personally don't dig much on what beat writers have to say for this very reason. But don't condemn the guy for doing his job. What fan among us can honestly say it doesn't drive you nuts when you see laughing in blowouts? Aaron Brooks was vilified for it every time he made a bad play. As an Eagles season ticket holder, I can't tell you how many times fans in the stands lost their minds when McNabb would be seen walking off the field with a smirk after a pass thrown into the ground on a key 3rd and long or some other such mistake.
My team getting blown out drives me nuts much more than a snapshot of a players demeanor on the sideline. If Anderson was laughing throughout a blowout loss, it's one thing. The guy smiled for a couple of seconds while talking to a teamate. Big deal. Different people react differently to situations. Just because we as fans act a certain way doesnt mean we can rightfully expect players to act the exact same way. They have a different perspective.The guy has proven he isn't a good NFL QB. We know that, Cardinal fans know that. He sucked and the team sucked last night. But what is he suppose to do. Sit there with a frown for 3 hours straight. I have bad days at work sometimes. I don't sit in my office with and frown the whole day. Maybe he found time for a moment of levity while getting embarrassed on national TV. Good for him.

As for the reporter, he asked the question. It was somewhat provocative but fine, that's his job. Anderson gave him an answer. It wasn't the best answer but the guy had enough to take make whatever story he wanted to make out of the situation. To continue to follow up in the manner he did was nothing more than piling on. I don't vilify either guy in this situation but I side much more with Anderson here. In the end, the reporter got what he wanted and created a story. Good for him too, I suppose.

What should the reporter be allowed to ask Derek Anderson after that performance?

Mr. Anderson, why are you such a bad QB? Are you color blind? Did you know that Larry Fitzgerald is really good? How would you rate Beanie Wells ability to accept a hand-off? How does it feel to be the weakest link on the team?

OK... but seriously, what could you possibly ask Derek Anderson about that performance?

The reporter was not out of line.... Gruden made the big stink about it, "I don't like that. I want it to bother you. What are they laughing about?"

Then the Twitters took it from there.

Whoever the "reporter" was talking that tone with a professional athlete must have a huge "little man complex"
I thought the reporter was as calm, cordial and professional as he could have possibly been. :)
But he asked the same question numerous times when he already had an answer.
Yeah, it was pretty clear that he wasn't attempting to get an answer, he was attempting to make DA look bad.

:yawn:Big deal.
it was a "they were who we thought they were" level meltdown. . Derek went from, "Yeah, it was sort of funny to me," to, "IT'S NOT FUNNY. YOU THINK I DON'T TAKE THIS #### SERIOUSLY?!" and yelling and storming out. I'd feel bad for him... then i remember he's a millionaire.
The only similarity is that the presser was at the same podium. It's not even in the same league as Denny Green's flip.
:lmao: That was actually quite tame.

:) talk about a total letdown not meltdown! The way guys on this board kept going on about the "massive meltdown" i thought i was in for a treat. Instead I saw a guy that actually kept his cool when a ##### yellow journalist kept badgering him trying to get a gotcha moment. What is this Politics now, where we are concenrned about a guy's "slight anger" towards a question? Who the hell cares? This wasn't even a minor meltdown, this was a mediocre disagreement, lol...too funny, i'm far more entertained by the board's reaction than I am by Derek Anderson's huge, gigantic, massive, nuclear, never before seen to human eyes, manic meltdown.

The one that comes to mind most recently was Roy Williams on the sidelines after fumbling late in the Thanksgiving Day game against the Saints.I'm a Saints fan and even I was taken aback that a guy that just resurrected the Saints would have the balls to stand on the sideline and have a grin from ear to ear.

In Anderson's defense...kind of a loaded question and the guy kept asking it even when Anderson gave an answer. He should have thrown the podium aside on and gone Jim Everett on the guy.
That...or just answered the question. :shrug:
It's a poorly worded question. He could have simply asked what he was laughing about on the sideline. Instead he asked him "why were you laughing when you were down 24-6?" He was provoking him. Guy asking was a jackass.
He asked what everyone wanted him to ask - that's what reporters are supposed to do.The camera had focussed on DA laughing and the game commentators had noted it... it was already a story, and it made sense to put the context of the question into the asking of it.DA initially denied it until he realized by the reporter's question that he had been caught on camera .DA's reaction to the question suggested it caught him by surprise and the reason behind the sideline jocularity was one he didn't want to publicize.
I could switch DA with any politician and laughing with prostitue...then we got ourselves a story fellas!!!==================================================He asked what everyone wanted him to ask - that's what reporters are supposed to do.The camera had focussed on Senator Clinton's prostitue and the news commentators had noted it... it was already a story, and it made sense to put the context of the question into the asking of it.President Clinton initially denied it until he realized by the reporter's question that he had been caught on camera .President Clinton's reaction to the question suggested it caught him by surprise and the reason behind the sideline jocularity was one he didn't want to publicize.

Reporter seemed like a jackass and the DA 'meltdown' wasn't nearly as big as I imagined before seeing the clip. Kinda funny/interesting, but this really is not much of a story, IMO. He wasn't even yelling, just talking kinda quickly/forcefully.

Reporter seemed like a jackass and the DA 'meltdown' wasn't nearly as big as I imagined before seeing the clip. Kinda funny/interesting, but this really is not much of a story, IMO. He wasn't even yelling, just talking kinda quickly/forcefully.
:) Not that I care one way or another, but if that's not yelling, I would love to see your definition of screaming.

ponchsox said:
This shows why Derek Anderson is not a winner. You never see Tom Brady or Peyton Manning laughing on the sideline when he is losing.
Peyton Manning And Tom Brady Play For "Talented" Teams That A Comeback Is Never Out Of Reach. DA Plays For A Team That SUCKS Right Now And There Was No Chance Of A Comeback.

plyka said:
Das Boot said:
sjacksonfan said:
Das Boot said:
sjacksonfan said:
In Anderson's defense...kind of a loaded question and the guy kept asking it even when Anderson gave an answer. He should have thrown the podium aside on and gone Jim Everett on the guy.
That...or just answered the question. :shrug:
It's a poorly worded question. He could have simply asked what he was laughing about on the sideline. Instead he asked him "why were you laughing when you were down 24-6?" He was provoking him. Guy asking was a jackass.
He asked what everyone wanted him to ask - that's what reporters are supposed to do.The camera had focussed on DA laughing and the game commentators had noted it... it was already a story, and it made sense to put the context of the question into the asking of it.DA initially denied it until he realized by the reporter's question that he had been caught on camera .DA's reaction to the question suggested it caught him by surprise and the reason behind the sideline jocularity was one he didn't want to publicize.
I could switch DA with any politician and laughing with prostitue...then we got ourselves a story fellas!!!==================================================He asked what everyone wanted him to ask - that's what reporters are supposed to do.The camera had focussed on Senator Clinton's prostitue and the news commentators had noted it... it was already a story, and it made sense to put the context of the question into the asking of it.President Clinton initially denied it until he realized by the reporter's question that he had been caught on camera .President Clinton's reaction to the question suggested it caught him by surprise and the reason behind the sideline jocularity was one he didn't want to publicize.
Do what now?

Jason Wood said:
I thought Anderson handled it unbelievably poorly, and Kent Somers did what a beat writer is supposed to do, ask the relevant question. When the national TV crew dissects Anderson laughing on the TV broadcast, it's much more germane to the "beat" to inquire about that then some plain vanilla fill-in-the-blanks question that 90% of these post game Q&As are filled with. Sometimes we forget to put ourselves in other people's shoes. Somers job is to create a story, and therefore sell papers, EVERY DAY covering a moribund team. At that moment, Anderson laughing was THE story. Now I personally don't dig much on what beat writers have to say for this very reason. But don't condemn the guy for doing his job. What fan among us can honestly say it doesn't drive you nuts when you see laughing in blowouts? Aaron Brooks was vilified for it every time he made a bad play. As an Eagles season ticket holder, I can't tell you how many times fans in the stands lost their minds when McNabb would be seen walking off the field with a smirk after a pass thrown into the ground on a key 3rd and long or some other such mistake.
:goodposting: I'm surprised so many are attacking the reporter in this situation. He's asking a legitimate question that Cardinals fans want answered. Fans pay lots of money that goes into player's pockets, and the sport is so successful because we let a select few bridge the gap between players and fans. Members of the media are the conduit between the fans who pay lots of money and the players who receive lots of money. They should be professional, but there's nothing unprofessional about the question."I don't mean this to be sarcastic or pointed but, I mean, but that went out on Monday Night television and a lot of fans are talking abotu it right now as a big problem with this team. Can you put into context what was going on at that moment?"There were a lot of ways Anderson could have responded. "Honestly, I don't really remember laughing on the sidelines. We take every game seriously, and are pretty focused on what we're trying to do as an offense on the sidelines. Occasionally a player cracks a joke or whatnot but I don't remember this particular instance." Or maybe he could have said "Yeah, Deuce made ya know, an inside joke that was between us. We laughed for a second but I don't know why fans would talk about what's a big problem with this team. Right now there are a ton of problems, but our sideline demeanor isn't one of them. We're working hard out there, but we're not passing the ball well, and that's my fault. Every week we work hard on it and try to improve, but today was a big step back for us. Tomorrow I'm going to look at the film and try to get better, like I do every week." Or he could say "Deuce said something like man, Troy Smith is way better than Alex Smith. That brother's got it. And I laughed."But Anderson got very defensive -- and then lied. He said "What Deuce and I talk about is nobody else's business." It's totally legitimate to follow up with this: "Why was something funny when you're down 18 points in the 4th quarter." Anderson tried to sidestep the question, and the reporter thought it was a question worth asking. He wasn't going to just let Anderson have his way and avoid the question, so he pressed more -- I don't see anything wrong with that.Then Anderson says 'It wasn't funny, I wasn't laughing about anything." Which was a lie. And Somers called him out on it. And then Anderson exploded.If the media weren't allowed to ask questions athletes didn't like, I'm pretty sure interest in the NFL would decrease. And that'd be bad for Anderson's paycheck. So he should take it like a man and answer the questions, IMO.

sjacksonfan said:
Anderson never gave an answer, he just went on a tirade on how he studies his ### off blah blah blah.He knows he got caught and didn't provide a proper explanation, he dopingly just attempted to change the subject.

Das Boot said:
Raider Nation said:
Kevin Ashcraft said:
I thought the reporter was as calm, cordial and professional as he could have possibly been. :shrug:
Ditto... DA turned it into a confrontation, the way a little kid does when he knows he's wrong.
:goodposting: That reporter was digging before and after it was obviously a sore spot. That's not cordial and it's not professional.Pretty lame.

ponchsox said:
Peyton Manning And Tom Brady Play For "Talented" Teams That A Comeback Is Never Out Of Reach. DA Plays For A Team That SUCKS Right Now And There Was No Chance Of A Comeback.
fixed it for you.

Das Boot said:
Raider Nation said:
Kevin Ashcraft said:
I thought the reporter was as calm, cordial and professional as he could have possibly been. :shrug:
Ditto... DA turned it into a confrontation, the way a little kid does when he knows he's wrong.
:goodposting: That reporter was digging before and after it was obviously a sore spot. That's not cordial and it's not professional.Pretty lame.
A "Sore Spot" ?What are we dealing with here, some sensitive little 12 year old ?Sore Spot ?Answer the freaking question honestly and move on.

Das Boot said:
Raider Nation said:
Kevin Ashcraft said:
I thought the reporter was as calm, cordial and professional as he could have possibly been. :no:
:pirate: That reporter was digging before and after it was obviously a sore spot. That's not cordial and it's not professional.Pretty lame.
A "Sore Spot" ?What are we dealing with here, some sensitive little 12 year old ?Sore Spot ?Answer the freaking question honestly and move on.
"Why don't we just march on down to namby pamby land and see if we can get you some self-confidence, you jackwagon....Tissue?"

That question was absurd- I mean can no player every have a positive emotion in a losing game? NOOO, they have to be pissed 100% of the time. How ridiculous.

On the other hand, the fact that DA doesn't have the mental fortitute to deal with a question like that is both obvious and sad.

Once a chump, always a chump. I guess both Cleveland AND Arizona are both against you now, DA! So unfair.

Users who are viewing this thread