What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Disney Vacation (2 Viewers)

Piggybacking the Rivers of Light sneak peak footage, well it appears the show is a GO!!

They have begun booking RoL dining packages at both Tiffins and Tusker house starting Feb 17th, 18th, and 19th. Then every Saturday, Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday. Then full time, everyday starting April 8th.

Been a long time coming, I had RoL dining package plans back for my trip in August of last summer, and they were booking those months before that. 

Booking link

Last edited by a moderator:
RoL Full show if anyone is interested in watching it. 30min long. 
I watched the clip but will hold off watching the whole thing so I can "go in fresh" - that clip looked pretty awesome though.  I'm really excited about AK being open at night.  We already love the park but this should finally get that 1/2 day park moniker off it's back.  This is obviously just MO but I've always felt a lot of people tour AK the wrong way.  You have to really stop and smell the roses - walk the trails, sit and enjoy the scenery, take the train to the conservatory to really get the full essence of the park.  Other than hitting the Safari first I don't really put together much of a plan when we go to AK - just go with the flow - we've spent hours exploring the trails, digging for bones and see how many animals we can identify in the tree.  Can't wait to go back and see this show and Avatar land.

I watched the clip but will hold off watching the whole thing so I can "go in fresh" - that clip looked pretty awesome though.  I'm really excited about AK being open at night.  We already love the park but this should finally get that 1/2 day park moniker off it's back.  This is obviously just MO but I've always felt a lot of people tour AK the wrong way.  You have to really stop and smell the roses - walk the trails, sit and enjoy the scenery, take the train to the conservatory to really get the full essence of the park.  Other than hitting the Safari first I don't really put together much of a plan when we go to AK - just go with the flow - we've spent hours exploring the trails, digging for bones and see how many animals we can identify in the tree.  Can't wait to go back and see this show and Avatar land.

couldn't have said it better myself GB. 

we plan 2 days there. You're so right, it is a park that is meant to be absorbed, not rushed from ride to ride. And that where a lot of people—I'm not gonna say, "get it wrong", but sure are missing out. 

It's a beautiful park, but at night it really takes on a whole new identity. With RoL, the Tree projection show, and Avatar coming soon, AK will be THE park to be in at night. Everest is an amazing coaster at night, with all the hate for the broken Yeti, at least at night you can see him best b/c your eyes do not have to adjust from bright sun to total dark when you go zipping through that tunnel. And there is an amazing opportunity when you are on the way up that first, long lift hill without anything blocking your view and all you can do is just look around, and take in the whole park all lit up.  

I'm mildly excited for Avatarland as a whole, but from what I hear and expect, nighttime is when that land will really stand out. Lots of projections and fiber optic effects that you will not fully appreciate at 2pm on an average summer day. 

Very happy for AK hopefully getting the "little brother park" opinion of its back.

Trip is a go.  Have my room booked at OKW.  As shared, it has been a while since my boys (18 and 15) and I have done the parks (2013 to be exact).  We typically followed the "plans" outlined in the Unofficial Guide to WDW for touring purposes.  But I have not really kept up on new rides, construction, etc, so trying to get a handles on the "pros/cons" of each park, as we will likely only have 3 park days and, based on non-expiring passes that I purchased long ago, do not have park-hopping abilities.

Welcome the thoughts of the regular visitors to assist in making the magic happen:)  Thanks in advance!

Piggybacking the Rivers of Light sneak peak footage, well it appears the show is a GO!!

They have begun booking RoL dining packages at both Tiffins and Tusker house starting Feb 17th, 18th, and 19th. Then every Saturday, Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday. Then full time, everyday starting April 8th.

Been a long time coming, I had RoL dining package plans back for my trip in August of last summer, and they were booking those months before that. 

Booking link
Thanks! Just booked this. It didn't tell me on mobile - how much is it? :unsure:

if you use Twitter and like old WDW construction photos, this is great follow that I just found. Really great stuff. 
Love those old photos. 

We're scrapping our "fly by" trip for May.  When I got the invitation to the conference i didn't realize it would be Memorial Weekend.  Doing just 3 nights and 4 days and staying at a Disney resort was pushing $2500....and that was the cheapest option. 

I didn't feel too good about just having 3 days at Disney.  We would have left feeling shorted.  We're just going to stay and extra few nights at the Orlando World Center, it looks like they have a damn waterpark as the pool.  Might throw in a day to go to Legoland.  My sons head will explode if we take him there...but my wife dreads it. 

Thanks! Just booked this. It didn't tell me on mobile - how much is it? :unsure:
Compare Participating Restaurants 
Tusker House Restaurant

Graze on a bountiful buffet brimming with African flavors at Tusker House Restaurant in Harambe. Please note: While this dining package is available for all meal periods, Guests must arrive to dine no later than 2 hours and thirty minutes prior to showtime.

Rivers of Light Dining Package Prices (Dining Plan Eligible) 
Breakfast, starting at: 
$39.00 adults 
$23.00 children ages 3 to 9 
Lunch/Dinner, starting at: 
$52.00 adults 
$32.00 children ages 3 to 9

Tiffins

Trek to Tiffins where you’ll savor your choice of appetizer, entrée and dessert from a menu featuring mouthwatering delights from around the globe. Please note: While this dining package is available for both lunch and dinner periods, Guests must arrive to dine no later than 3 hours prior to showtime.

Lunch/Dinner starting at: 
$67.00 adults 
$26 children ages 3 to 9

I'm pretty sure Tiffins is 2 dining credits where TH is 1...but double check with them. 

Edit to add Important info about the dining package:

You receive your voucher for Rivers of Light package seating at the time of your meal.

Plan to arrive for Rivers of Light seating 15 to 35 minutes prior to show time. Please use the theater entrance located closest to DinoLand U.S.A.

Your seats are not assigned. Rather, you choose your seats within the reserved section on a first-come, first-served basis.

Rivers of Light runs on select nights for approximately 15 minutes. Please be aware that there may be multiple shows on the same day. Your dining reservation will indicate which show you are booked for.

Compare Participating Restaurants 
Tusker House Restaurant

Graze on a bountiful buffet brimming with African flavors at Tusker House Restaurant in Harambe. Please note: While this dining package is available for all meal periods, Guests must arrive to dine no later than 2 hours and thirty minutes prior to showtime.

Breakfast, starting at: 
$39.00 adults 
$23.00 children ages 3 to 9 
Lunch/Dinner, starting at: 
$52.00 adults 
$32.00 children ages 3 to 9

Tiffins

Trek to Tiffins where you’ll savor your choice of appetizer, entrée and dessert from a menu featuring mouthwatering delights from around the globe. Please note: While this dining package is available for both lunch and dinner periods, Guests must arrive to dine no later than 3 hours prior to showtime.

Lunch/Dinner starting at: 
$67.00 adults 
$26 children ages 3 to 9

I'm pretty sure Tiffins is 2 dining credits where TH is 1...but double check with them. 

Edit to add Important info about the dining package:

You receive your voucher for Rivers of Light package seating at the time of your meal.

Plan to arrive for Rivers of Light seating 15 to 35 minutes prior to show time. Please use the theater entrance located closest to DinoLand U.S.A.

Your seats are not assigned. Rather, you choose your seats within the reserved section on a first-come, first-served basis.

Rivers of Light runs on select nights for approximately 15 minutes. Please be aware that there may be multiple shows on the same day. Your dining reservation will indicate which show you are booked for.
Good info. Thanks. It tells me I am booked for the first show of ROL but not the time. 

Capella said:
Good info. Thanks. It tells me I am booked for the first show of ROL but not the time. 
its showing me only 1 showtime, 7:15 pm.

it bounces to 1 show at 8:45 on 3/12, then 9:15 on 4/30 and stays that way till the end of June (which is the last day they have available for booking)
I expect it to go to 2 shows somewhere in April (just a hunch). There were 2 shows for Jungle Book last summer. The theater is small, around 1/3rd of what Fantasmic holds at the studios. So its going to be a long line if you don't have a FP or dining plan. 

@Big Blue Wrecking Crew

hmmmm 2013? Tough to pinpoint everything that has changed/updated since then, but everything is always in flux there. 

I know you made mention to not going to Magic Kingdom, and with 3 day tickets, that really gives you Epcot, Studios, and Animal Kingdom. Neither of those are worth 2 days right now. (well AK is IMO, but I wouldn't do that since you have limited time). 

The Studios is really under construction right now. With the exception of a very large Star Wars presence, nothing really new there, if anything lots have left. 
• If you guys are into Star Wars, then you'll have fun there. They've closed the animation building and turned it into the "SW Launch Bay" where they have meet and greets with Kylo Ren and Chewbacca as well as a bunch of movie props and such. 
• I'm assuming the boys are into thrill rides, so the big ones are there...Tower of Terror, Rock n Roller Coaster etc.
• Night there got more interesting b/c they added a projection Star Wars show on the Chinese Theather which (if you are a fan) is very cool. 

Epcot: This park is always a love it or hate it type of park. There are not really a lot of attractions there, but if you are cool with strolling around world showcase as the bulk of your visit there then by all means, go for it. Where Epcot really gets you is that for the small amount of really good attractions there, they have it where you cant FP ALL the cool ones. Their tier the FPs so you can't have Test Trck and Soarin at the same time (they do it at Studios too, but its more manageable there IMO). So somewhere you are standing on line. I recommend FPing Test Track just because that ride loads slower and Soarin has 3 theaters. Its still a crazy long line, so you'll want to hit it very early. 
• speaking of Soarin, it has a whole new movie.
• They added Frozen in place of the old Malstrom at Norway, but with all teen boys, i'm not sure that will be high on your list. 

Animal Kingdom: Park is really going through a growth spurt. Not sure of your actual dates, but they are adding a whole new land "Pandora - the world of avatar" and it will open at the end of May. Once it does, expect that park to be hoping busy. The good thing is that the park is now open late, whereas it use to close around 6pm and be known as a 1/2 day park, but not anymore. 
Not much has changed since you were there last, but they added a nighttime show "Rivers of Light" which looks very cool. I've posted a bunch of stuff about it a few posts up. 
You'll want the big rides, Dinosaur, Everest and Kali as FPs. Everything else is either a show or fairly manageable lines—hit the Safari early in the AM for best standby wait time. 

Again, I know you are thinking of leaving MK out, but to me IDK if I could do a trip to WDW and not hit MK at least 1x....but thats me. And while i'm not trying to sway you....when you look at all the parks, and the amount of attractions they offer, none of them hold a talking candelabra to the amount there is to do at MK.  Yes, there is a lot of the MK that is kid/princessy, but going down the list:
• Jungle Cruise
• Pirates
• Splash Mtn
• Big Thunder Mtn
• Haunted Mansion
• Space Mtn 
• Buzz lightrear Spin
then add the toss ups
• Philharmagic
• Laugh floor
• Tiki room
Then....Parades and Fireworks

IMO you are getting a much fuller day there then any park. Esp if you do not have hopper tix. Just my $0.02. 

Now here is where a lot of debate is when it comes to WDW vacations: Upcharges. WDW has begun enjoying charging for some perks and conveniences. Among them, and one that admittedly I do often is the "Dessert parties" They are private events where you can view the fireworks and shows from a roped off area, enjoy some desserts and drinks and NOT have to those guests who have stake out a spot over an hour plus beforehand. IMO, if you have limited time, these are great b/c it allows you more park time and less waiting time. They are not cheap, around $70 per person, but as I mentioned they are those perks that you do to add a little more relaxation and enjoymewnt ot the trip. Not required, but they are there to help (for a price) 

I'm sure ill think of more, but keep asking away.

So much to announce this week!!!!

So long Wishes.....Hello "Happily Ever After" a new fireworks and projection show at the MK, debuting May 12th.

Now...waiting to finally hear about a replacement for the Main Street Electrical Parade   :hot:  come on guys...can't have a MK night w/o a damn parade!!!

So much to announce this week!!!!

So long Wishes.....Hello "Happily Ever After" a new fireworks and projection show at the MK, debuting May 12th.

Now...waiting to finally hear about a replacement for the Main Street Electrical Parade   :hot:  come on guys...can't have a MK night w/o a damn parade!!!
This will be our very first day of being there and we don't get in until late afternoon.

Maybe a good idea to just take it easy and grab something to eat and then catch this the first night before our trip really begins? Or will be getting the highlight of our trip done at the very beginning?

skinrod876 said:
This will be our very first day of being there and we don't get in until late afternoon.

Maybe a good idea to just take it easy and grab something to eat and then catch this the first night before our trip really begins? Or will be getting the highlight of our trip done at the very beginning?

Just be ready, if it is the actual 1st day of the show, the park will be packed. Just saying. Anytime they introduce something this big, you'll have the locals who come to the park just for fun out b/c its something new. 

IDK if I would call this the 'highlight of your trip" but you may want to see it early and so you can go the opposite of the crowds for the rest of the trip. I'd hate for you to shoot for later in your trip and then miss it b/c the crowds work against you and you give up on it. Seeing it early on in your trip—while crazy crowded—at least you will be fresh and cheery, and the large group of people won't feel as bothersome as they would be on your last day, if you get what i'm saying. 

so if it were me, yea, I don't think that's a bad idea. Plan on a longer than normal wait on Main St. while your legs still work, take shifts hopping in and out of the Emporium and Starbucks and enjoy the fact that you were able to catch it on opening night. Then the rest of your trip you can relax knowing that 3/4 of the park will be jammed into main st every other night. 

glvsav37 said:

Booking link
Just booked Tiffens for first viewing. Now we need to decide on this or hoop de doo. We have never been. Any advice

Just booked Tiffens for first viewing. Now we need to decide on this or hoop de doo. We have never been. Any advice
tough call. I've never been to Tiffens so I can't comment on the menu. But, i think i remember you saying that this is your only day at AK, right? If so...stay there and take the dining package. Nothing against Hoop-dee-do, but I expect AK to be a little bit-to-much busier than normal now and I would just soak in the park and enjoy the night there. 

HDD is fun, in a hokey way. And while hokey fun is my favorite type of fun, HDD is a very old show and will be around for a long time. It is a classic fan favorite, I dont see it going anywhere. So take the opportunity to relax and stay in the park and enjoy all the new nighttime stuff they have on this trip and save HDD for the next one. . 

Also, someone remind me. Is there a passport like thing at AK, like in epcot
yes, and its awesome. Its called the Wildreness explorer club (like in the movie Up). You get your passbook at the outpost on the main bridge into Discovery Island (the main part of the park). You can actually get them at any WEx outpost, but this is the best one. Once you take the pledge, you stop at any outpost around the park and enjoy a short educational lesson. After, you get a sticker badge to put in the page that corresponds with that outpost. Its really enjoyable and there are a lot of outposts....I want to say over 20 or so of them. 

Here is a good overview of it

I know we try to keep the Universal Orlando chatter here to a minimum, but they made a major announcement today.  Their new water park, Volcano Bay, has its official name and an opening date: May 25, 2017.

They aren't trying to set any world records or anything with the water thrills - fairly standard stuff if you've been to a Schlitterbahn or CedarFair water park - but the concept art of the park is impressive.

The big leap forward seems to be their "Virtual Line" technology, which seems to be a paperless version of the old FP system.  Every guest on arrival will receive an interactive wristband called a "Taputapu".  When you get to a big attraction, you tap the Taputapu and get a return time for the ride.  By having the tech available to all guests and on as many rides as possible, their goal is to spread out the park traffic and have as little time as possible spent standing in line holding tubes and mats.

I know we try to keep the Universal Orlando chatter here to a minimum, but they made a major announcement today.  Their new water park, Volcano Bay, has its official name and an opening date: May 25, 2017.

They aren't trying to set any world records or anything with the water thrills - fairly standard stuff if you've been to a Schlitterbahn or CedarFair water park - but the concept art of the park is impressive.

The big leap forward seems to be their "Virtual Line" technology, which seems to be a paperless version of the old FP system.  Every guest on arrival will receive an interactive wristband called a "Taputapu".  When you get to a big attraction, you tap the Taputapu and get a return time for the ride.  By having the tech available to all guests and on as many rides as possible, their goal is to spread out the park traffic and have as little time as possible spent standing in line holding tubes and mats.

Interesting stuff bruce....Taputapu?" Can I get one of those while enjoying an Ohana LapuLapu? 

I've seen some of the construct photos from there and this water park looks huge, at least that big mountain they are building. Many people are claiming the Universal will be touting it as their "3rd gate" We'll see.

Interesting stuff bruce....Taputapu?" Can I get one of those while enjoying an Ohana LapuLapu? 

I've seen some of the construct photos from there and this water park looks huge, at least that big mountain they are building. Many people are claiming the Universal will be touting it as their "3rd gate" We'll see.
Universal is clearly positioning it as a third gate, and that Universal is now a minimum three-day visit best experienced staying at one of the Universal Resorts.

Ok....file this under "Ridiculous stuff i'm just finding out about."  And this one is especially funny to me being a former Pecos Bills cast member. 

Introducing the secret  "$90 Pecos Bills Nacho Rio Grande"

Yes, it is $90 and it's huge plate of nachos (with drinks) delivered to you via CM parade VIP style. You have to see the video to believe this. 

It does say it feeds up to 8 people, so if you and your group is reeeeaaaaaaly into nachos then this is a home run. Hell, I'd get it just for the experience. 

enjoy walking around te park after eating this monster. 

Ok....file this under "Ridiculous stuff i'm just finding out about."  And this one is especially funny to me being a former Pecos Bills cast member. 

Yes, it is $90 and it's huge plate of nachos (with drinks) delivered to you via CM parade VIP style. You have to see the video to believe this. 

It does say it feeds up to 8 people, so if you and your group is reeeeaaaaaaly into nachos then this is a home run. Hell, I'd get it just for the experience. 

$90 for nachos?  Damn.

IDK GB, thats a good question but I think you have to take tat to WDW? What I do know is that WDW is really trying to distance themselves from the Free Dining days and would love ot get rid of it altogether. They release the dates later and later and slim down the qualifying rooms.

What I would think you can do is just "Upgrade" your package tickets to an annual pass just before you leave.
I talked to a CM today and this is exactly what they told me - now I have to stay patient and wait until September to buy the passes.  My son and I were already planning a week this summer and hitting up the water parks.

Also, and I'm sure it was discussed in here and I missed it, but when did the dining plan start including 2 snacks?  That's awesome.

Tucking this one way for when I inevitably return to WDW in 2020.

On a much smaller scale on the west side... the Golden Horseshoe at Disneyland has an off-menu item "Ice Cream Nachos": waffle cone pieces on the bottom, scoop of vanilla, scoop of chocolate, scoop of strawberry, little whipped cream and chocolate sauce.  It's a beautiful plate and at $5.99 one of the best dessert values in all of DLR.  

Put some brisket and pulled pork on there and I'm in.

Is the Wide World of Sports thing any good? or is it just some fields?  My boys (6) love sports, but I wouldn't know what to expect.  I see that the Braves have a game while we're there, so may check that out.

Also, any idea to do a big group thing with kids an adults (~20 adults & 20 kids (ranging 5-10), must have alcohol/beer.  Splitsville was the perfect set up as we did it there a few years ago, but they're all booked up with corporate events the night we want to do it.  Needs to be on grounds.  Backup plan is just walking around boardwalk, disney springs, or epcot....but would be great to have a specific area where adults can drink and hang while there's something to do for the kids.

ETA: Can you walk around with drinks at "Exposition Park" - https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/entertainment/disney-springs/exposition-park/

Is the Wide World of Sports thing any good? or is it just some fields?  My boys (6) love sports, but I wouldn't know what to expect.  I see that the Braves have a game while we're there, so may check that out.
Braves game is cool if they are baseball fans.  If you want to roll the dice a little, wait until game day to get tickets.  There are a decent amount of folks looking to sell tickets and you may be able to get better seats for the same price (no crazy scalping going on).  Got front row right next to Braves dugout the time I went.  Guy sold them for face and we bought him a beer.

Fast Pass...explain the new system like I am a two year old:)

Seriously, my biggest challenge is how far to space these apart, as well as what attractions you really want to use them on.  So, welcome those insights.

ETA:  Today is my "60 days out" day, so want to be sure to maximize its benefit by booking early

Damn Ohana...earliest reserviation I can get there when I am down is 9:25

Also, any idea to do a big group thing with kids an adults (~20 adults & 20 kids (ranging 5-10), must have alcohol/beer.  Splitsville was the perfect set up as we did it there a few years ago, but they're all booked up with corporate events the night we want to do it.  Needs to be on grounds.  Backup plan is just walking around boardwalk, disney springs, or epcot....but would be great to have a specific area where adults can drink and hang while there's something to do for the kids.

ETA: Can you walk around with drinks at "Exposition Park" - https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/entertainment/disney-springs/exposition-park/
do you have a budget in mind or is it as free as possible?

I do know that large groups can rent out special areas for dessert parties and fantasmic viewing.

Fast Pass...explain the new system like I am a two year old:)

Seriously, my biggest challenge is how far to space these apart, as well as what attractions you really want to use them on.  So, welcome those insights.

ETA:  Today is my "60 days out" day, so want to be sure to maximize its benefit by booking early

Damn Ohana...earliest reserviation I can get there when I am down is 9:25
Easy peasy.....

the least you can space them apart is in 1 hour windows. So say 10-11, 11:05 - 12:05 and then the 3rd one anytime after that. 

Touring plans has prob the best write up on what is good or bad use of Fastpasses. 

I like to pick mine starting at 10am b/c thats when the crowds start to pick up. If you are easy risers, you can hit a lot of the big rides b/f the lines get too long. 

Studios and Epcot have a tiered FP system, where as they identify 2 classes of rides, a Tier A and B. In this, you can only have 1 Tier A and 2 Tier Bs as your original selections. It kind of sicks, but you'll realize the value of the rides that way and just plan on hitting the "non-FP" avail ride early. IMO studios is better with their tiers then Epcot. 

Generaly I dont FP any shows or attractions in a large theater b/c they have a lot of capacity. Lion king at AK is normally the only exception to this rude b/c the FP lets in 1st and you can get better invested in that show the closer you sit.

Once you use all 3 you can add another via the app, but don't count on a premium attraction. In places like epcot, where good 3 FPs are a stretch, you can only book 2 experiences and then once those are done, roll the dice for adding on a 3rd. As opposed to booking that 3rd as a throw away and waiting the extra hour. You may not get the FP time till much later, but you won't be waiting until you're 3rd useless FP is done. Of course you can also play it safe and then modify that 3rd FP based on whats avail while in the park. 

Try not plan them too close to dining reservations b/c you can still be +/- 20 mins on line and for rides like Splash mtn that is a 10+ minute ride, thats a 30 minute swing. Likewise, the restaurant can be slow and you risk missing your FP window (happened to us last summer at 1900 park fare, they were 45 mins behind in seating).

Try not to book FPs back to back that are on opposite sides of the park, you don't want to be sprinting from one to the other, i.e. big thunder mountain and space mint are popular FP options, but are on the extreme opposite end of the park. So book Big thunder 1st, then say Haunted Mansion which is between them and then Space mtn.  

FPs are not set in stone. Once you book them you can modify them till the cows come home. I change FP times and experiences multiple times as i noodle and tweak the vacation. 

If you have a FP for a ride, but while you are there find it is a short wait, look at modifying the existing FP for another experience via the app. We find ourselves doing that more then I expected. 

It is daunting at first, but you'll get it. 

Thx.  Not opposed to paying. But I guess it depends what the deal is. Any links?
is this some sort of special event, something to do for a large family gathering, or are you local and looking for a place to hang out on a Saturday night? Sorry, don't mean to be nosey, but just trying to figure out the best venue/location.

you mentioned Splitsville, so i'm not sure if everyone will have a park ticket or not, so doing something in the parks might not be possible. 

Disney does rent out locations and events but it can get pricey, so not really sure what you budget is if any. Here is a list of examples, lots of them are fireworks parties, so they don't last all that long compared to a night at a bowling alley. And that blog is geared towards guests coming to a Disney wedding reception, but if you call their events coordinator, they may have smaller venues that are priced right. 

But I also found that you can rent space at the mini golf course Fantasia gardens. The alcohol is extra (and i'm not sure about the actual golf) but you can rent the space for about $25/pp based on 20 people. 

Also there is a movie theater in Disney Springs that offers Dine-In movies, not sure if you a can book a private showing but with a large group it might be worth looking into  

is this some sort of special event, something to do for a large family gathering, or are you local and looking for a place to hang out on a Saturday night? Sorry, don't mean to be nosey, but just trying to figure out the best venue/location.

you mentioned Splitsville, so i'm not sure if everyone will have a park ticket or not, so doing something in the parks might not be possible. 

Disney does rent out locations and events but it can get pricey, so not really sure what you budget is if any. Here is a list of examples, lots of them are fireworks parties, so they don't last all that long compared to a night at a bowling alley. And that blog is geared towards guests coming to a Disney wedding reception, but if you call their events coordinator, they may have smaller venues that are priced right. 

But I also found that you can rent space at the mini golf course Fantasia gardens. The alcohol is extra (and i'm not sure about the actual golf) but you can rent the space for about $25/pp based on 20 people. 

Also there is a movie theater in Disney Springs that offers Dine-In movies, not sure if you a can book a private showing but with a large group it might be worth looking into  
Thx. Will check some of these out. It's a bunch of friends with kids who are coming in bc the kids have off for Mardi Gras he entire week. Trying to something together on Mardi Gras night. Splitsville was absolutely perfect for that. 

Touring plans has prob the best write up on what is good or bad use of Fastpasses. 

Do you utilize their touring plans (I have in the past)?  If so, do you find their recommendation on what to FastPass accurate?

Generaly I dont FP any shows or attractions in a large theater b/c they have a lot of capacity. Lion king at AK is normally the only exception to this rude b/c the FP lets in 1st and you can get better invested in that show the closer you sit.

Would this apply to newer attractions like River of Lights in AK?

FPs are not set in stone. Once you book them you can modify them till the cows come home. I change FP times and experiences multiple times as i noodle and tweak the vacation. 

If you have a FP for a ride, but while you are there find it is a short wait, look at modifying the existing FP for another experience via the app. We find ourselves doing that more then I expected. 

Does this imply you can cancel a FP?  My reading is that you have to use the three you book before you can access any more, so if you cancel one, but have not used all by that time, are you prevented from booking another?

It is daunting at first, but you'll get it. 

One can only hope:)

1. I don't use any of the Touring Plans actual plans, but yes...I really like TP app. I use both the TP app and the disney app together during a trip. But TP app is a subscription, so its really if you are up for paying for it. What I like about TP is that they give you more info then just the posted wait time, ie. Wait time, single rider wait time, if/when any FPs are available that day, and an outlook of projected volume throughout the day. 

But that said, you can kinda drive yourself crazy and get info overload jockeying between apps trying to figure out the perfect scenario. Fact is there is no perfect day at a disney park so sometimes you just gotta relax and go with the flow. 

2. Rivers of light is a special case right now. Normally I would not recommend FPs for shows or fireworks. But being this is soo new and the build up or this show started last summer, I expect the standby line to get into this is going to be huge...if you can even get in standby. Likewise, the capacity for this theater is really small compared to the other nighttime event locations, like Fanstamsic at the Studios—so you have that working against you as well.  In this case, with the limited number of rides at AK, I could see justifying a FP for this show. The other way to go (and why I would recommend) is booking a Tusker house dinner package. You have to eat, right? Might as well have a nice dinner and with the package you get a pass to the show and then save the FP for something else. 

3. Yes, you can modify and cancel FPs at will. In the case you list, it wouldn't be a 'cancel' but a 'modify' So say you have Haunted Mansion at 10am, but the line at 9:45 is only 5 minutes. You can go into the app, and swap out that HM for another attraction you don't already have at that 10am time, or sometime later in the day that does not conflict with any other FPs (depending on availability). Or just keep the FP and ride it 2x

Last year, there was an annoying thing where as you HAD to have 3 FPs booked per day but not anymore. You can book 2 and when you use those, add the 3rd in the park that day. This is helpful in places like Epcot where the attractions are tiered and that 3rd FP is an attraction you don't care about. Don't book the 3rd just to book it and when you are done with 1 and 2, shot for another Teir 1 FP (soaring, test track, etc) without waiting for the clock to run out on that lame 3rd one. Granted, you are rolling the dice b/c the Tier 1 may not be available, but its worth the shot.  I don't think you're hopping, but you can also book that day at another park....so If I knew I was gong from AK to MK, I could add a MK attraction while still in AK.

4. LOL....relax...book what you can and then noodle around from there. I like to keep a spread sheet of my day as i plan, its an easy way to slide in FP times and experiences in hour slots so I can see gaps or overlaps. Here is mine from my last trip. Yours doesn't have to be so detailed, but i recommend at least writing them down on some paper to keep things in order while you plan. 

And overall...just have fun. Not everything will be perfect and you can drive yourself crazy trying to make it so. You have older kids so you can really go with the flow. Its not like you have to keep track of nap time,s feeding, meltdowns etc. Plan some basics and let the rest of the trip roll and enjoy being there. Being flexible is sometimes just as important as being structured.  

Users who are viewing this thread