What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Disposing of Cooking Oil (1 Viewer)

MikeIke

Footballguy
I know you shouldn't drain the fat from,  say,  fried hamburgers,  down the drain.  I keep an aluminum can near the sink for exactly this purpose. However... 

What am I supposed to do with a quart of canola oil after I've made fried chicken? Is it OK to pour down the drain, or should the used oil go in a can and into the landfill? Is there  a better option I'm  not seeing? 

Last edited by a moderator:
I know you shouldn't drain the fat from,  say,  fried hamburgers,  down the drain.  I keep an aluminum can near the sink for exactly this purpose. However... 

What am I supposed to do with a quart of canola oil after I've made fried chicken? Is it OK to pour down the drain, or should the used oil go in a can and into the landfill? Is there  a better option I'm  not seeing? 

OMFG NO.  That #### will clog a damn.  Put it in a can and throw it away with the trash.

Just run plenty of hot water before during and after the grease.  It has worked well for me.

Dumping grease down the drain is a time-bomb waiting to happen...especially if you've got older plumbing.    Not to mention it's just bad for sewer systems all around, 

Best bet is the old coffee can method.   And if you're worried about it opening in your trashcan/dumpster duct tape it shut.

You're actually not supposed to put it in the trash either. There are recycling options for cooking oil.

No - hot water on the infallible logic that it will stay in liquid form long enough to clear said pipes. :thumbup:
I have never had any problems, but then again, I've never lived anywhere for longer than 2 years since I was a child.  I think it's a no brainer if you are renting. 

Find a local restaurant that is set up to take it.  A Taco Bell near here has an oil recycling bin in the back, they're fine with people bringing their used oil from home.

It's also good for burning messages into your neighbors yard if you are into that kind of thing. 

Ok  so I thought it was not a good idea to put out down the drain,  and the FFA has justified that thought.  

Is it OK to pour it out on my neighbor's beagle who wont stop barking? The oil isn't hot anymore so I wouldn't be hurting  him. 

It isn't going to harm your drain or pipes.  It's canola oil, not grease.  It is relatively low in saturated fats and won't solidify unless it reaches temperatures around  -10 C.   It isn't toxic either, so if you want to put it in a container and toss it with the trash, no big deal there either, unless your concern is throwing away another container and filling land fills.

It isn't going to harm your drain or pipes.  It's canola oil, not grease.  It is relatively low in saturated fats and won't solidify unless it reaches temperatures around  -10 C.   It isn't toxic either, so if you want to put it in a container and toss it with the trash, no big deal there either, unless your concern is throwing away another container and filling land fills.

You're going to hear from my mom about this.  

Put the used oil back into the original container for future frying. Label it "2nd run" to be safe. Not kidding. Three or four runs and you'll know when it is time to pitch it.

Lol at me ever caring enough about cooking oil or bacon grease to start packing it up, duct taping it, and driving it to my local Taco Bell or recycling place to ask them to take it off my hands. That sounds like an errand I have the time and inclination for on any given Saturday. 

Just did this the other day when I deep fried some racist fried chicken using Paula Dean's fried chicken recipe.

Poured that delicious peanut oil in my compost pile in the back yard so the chipmunks and squirrels could enjoy a delicious coating to their usual diet of apple peals and veggie scraps.

Their payback to me is not eating their way into my attic or basement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol at me ever caring enough about cooking oil or bacon grease to start packing it up, duct taping it, and driving it to my local Taco Bell or recycling place to ask them to take it off my hands. That sounds like an errand I have the time and inclination for on any given Saturday. 
Yep, just keep pouring it down the drain.  That plumbing bill should only be about $5k, so no biggie.

Wow that does sound like a bad clog.

can it be achieved with other root vegetables?
I generally avoid putting damn near anything but water down the drain.  Many people have pulled their disposal when facing a large plumbing bill, just to not have the false sense of security that it provides.

Users who are viewing this thread