What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Draft Chat With our Draftniks Matt Waldman and Sigmund Bloom Tonight D (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Hi Folks,

There are few people I'd rather watch the NFL Draft with than our Matt Waldman, Sigmund Bloom and a bunch of you Shark Pool Draftniks. Thought it might be fun to try and have a "chat" type thread going on tonight during the draft. Matt and Sigmund will be hanging out throwing out comments and answering questions as they can. Please join us as the draft unfolds.

J

Last edited by a moderator:
With the First pick.. oh i waited almost 3 months to hear this

another milestone toward new NFL & FFL season.

although im on the owner side on the CBA dispute, i kinda wish that at least trade pick for players and FA would be allowed also tonight to spice up even more the NFL draft.

and im the only one (coz all the mock draft in many sites say otherwise) that thinks C.Newton doesnt fit the Panthers and anyway they shpuld trade down and get the second round pick (WAS for example possible option) ?

Enjoy all, i know i will.

Amit (middle of the night), Israel

i kinda wish that at least trade pick for players and FA would be allowed also tonight to spice up even more the NFL draft.and im the only one (coz all the mock draft in many sites say otherwise) that thinks C.Newton doesnt fit the Panthers and anyway they shpuld trade down and get the second round pick (WAS for example possible option) ?
Agree on both points. :popcorn: Okay, so all the off the field hyp on Ryan mallet will make him the 5th QB off the board. He is a team player a natural leader and has a great arm. He should go pick #33 and be groomed to replace Brady. However, I hope he falls to the Titans 2nd round pick.Don't be fooled SP, he's the real deal

I'm going to be using this thread to follow since there's no draft app, so please post each pick.

Newton has bust all over him. Mallet will be best qb of this class.

Eta in NYC now, sipping beer at Bryant park. When does it start?

Looking forward to spending the evening with you guys. I just got home and overheard an interview with Jeremy Schaap and Roger Goodell where the commish was asked why teams can trade existing players tonight. Did I hear this correctly? If so, wouldn't it seem like higher priced vets are getting punished here or is it important that the NFL give every team a fair shot to prepare?

Thoughts?

I'm going to be using this thread to follow since there's no draft app, so please post each pick. Newton has bust all over him. Mallet will be best qb of this class.Eta in NYC now, sipping beer at Bryant park. When does it start?
There is draft app called "NFL '11 Lite" Check iTunes or the Android Market depending on your phone. I have no experience with it, just got an email from NFL.com about it today.

What do you think the odds are that Newton goes #1 to Carolina?

Bigger question - Should Carolina take him at #1?

I say odds are 60% he goes #1.

And I say Carolina should not take him.

Not so much a knock on Newton. They just have too many holes, too weird a situation with new coaches and limited OTA's, Clausen, etc.

What do you guys think?

J

What do you think the odds are that Newton goes #1 to Carolina?Bigger question - Should Carolina take him at #1?I say odds are 60% he goes #1.And I say Carolina should not take him.Not so much a knock on Newton. They just have too many holes, too weird a situation with new coaches and limited OTA's, Clausen, etc.What do you guys think?J
I think it's a 90% chance they take Newton. But they are probably dying to trade out even at less than market value. Newton is a project QB, and taking him only ensures another high pick next year.

Completely agree that they shouldn't take Newton, but looks 90 percent likely now. Newton could be a great, but when you're projecting a player it's just like recruiting any employee. Is he really a fit at this stage of the team's development. Shouldn't certain personnel be in place first to maximize the opportunity for the team to develop at a fast enough rate? I think the risk-reward isn't worth it.

If Luck was the pick I'd have a different point of view, but he's the only player I'd say this about. Unfortunately, teams succumb to the pressure to play first round picks way too early and I'd rather see Carolina build a team and either acquire a free agent, a QB next year, or pick another quarterback after round one.

So do the Titans take Fairley or does the absence of Fisher influence the team to go after that first round QB?

Does Fisher's firing even make a difference?

I could see the Titans go after Mallet.
Yeah, but I hope not. While a lot of folks I respect like Mallet are are down on Gabbert, I feel the opposite. A poster in a thread in the SP about Gabbert nicknamed him "Sunshine" from the movie Remember The Titans, which is perfect - he looks a lot like the guy. Here's my thoughts about Sunshine that I wanted to share here. Great Remember The Titans reference...I'm going to use that for now on when I talk about Gabbert. I think Sunshine can play. I read Dave Razzano talk about Locker being the next Favre and Gabbert only throwing curl routes. I could recommend plenty of games to Razzano where I saw Gabbert throw far more than that and make the plays that Razzano said he didn't see. Nevada and Illinois are two of those where Gabbert made NFL quality throws in the pocket, in a tight pocket, maneuvering away from pressure while still in a pocket, and also on the move with NFL quality speed off the edge hot on his heels. The complaints that he overreacts to pressure were criticisms of Aaron Rodgers. Matt Ryan still overreacts to pressure. If you notice his offense - which I watch closely every week for this site to write about them - it is a quick passing game that tends to go intermediate to deep when using play action on early downs. When forced to drop and survey the field, he is frequently guilty of over reacting to pressure and doesn't maneuver in the pocket as effectively as you'd like to see. That doesn't mean Ryan is a bad player. He's a good young quarterback with potential to become a terrific producer with more help around him. In fact he can be an elite stat producer with the right kind of help around him. Like everything with draft talk, we tend to go from one extreme to the other. I think Gabbert has what it takes to become top-12 fantasy starter in this league within 3-4 years if the team's offensive system remains stable.

Newton will go first and it will be a mistake. They should be either taking Gabbert or - if they don't love either QB - taking a guy like Peterson. Against the NFC South a CB is gold vs. NO, ATL and TB these days.

ETA - based on what I've seen on Newton I just don't see the "it" factor that would make him a franchise QB at the NFL level. I don't know if Gabbert has it either, but I would certainly be comfortable saying that Newton does not.

They need a bigger stage...

Goodell just suspended three fans in the top row...lol..

didn't realize Cobb got an invite, any chance we'll see him drafted tonight?
If you read Bloom's stuff or mine you know how much I like Cobb. I wouldn't be surprised if he were a late first round pick based on his talent, versatility, football acumen, and upside. Goodell getting booed :)

Newton will go first and it will be a mistake. They should be either taking Gabbert or - if they don't love either QB - taking a guy like Peterson. Against the NFC South a CB is gold vs. NO, ATL and TB these days.ETA - based on what I've seen on Newton I just don't see the "it" factor that would make him a franchise QB at the NFL level. I don't know if Gabbert has it either, but I would certainly be comfortable saying that Newton does not.
You're a big dynasty guy...who really intrigues you in this draft and why?

didn't realize Cobb got an invite, any chance we'll see him drafted tonight?
If you read Bloom's stuff or mine you know how much I like Cobb. I wouldn't be surprised if he were a late first round pick based on his talent, versatility, football acumen, and upside. Goodell getting booed :)
catch a little of it, but I've been saying from the get go that he has better WR skills than the rest of the gimmick type guys. Then realized you guys liked him even more than I did which just reassured my opinion

Im going to go against the grain here and say that I get the Newton pick and think it could work out very well. Look at what he did at Auburn - took a team without playmakers or much talent and turned them into a National Champion - in the SEC no less. Let's not forget that Vince Young instantly revived the Titans franchise before his lack of emotional maturity ruined him. There's a risk, yes, but the potential payoff matches it. You don't plan to be picking #1 in back to back years to get Luck, that's just ridiculous.

So do the Titans take Fairley or does the absence of Fisher influence the team to go after that first round QB? Does Fisher's firing even make a difference?
I think Fisher's firing means they go after fewer aspirational "he's an amazing athlete we can make a football player out of him" picks. I expect Fairley to be the pick.

Im going to go against the grain here and say that I get the Newton pick and think it could work out very well. Look at what he did at Auburn - took a team without playmakers or much talent and turned them into a National Champion - in the SEC no less. Let's not forget that Vince Young instantly revived the Titans franchise before his lack of emotional maturity ruined him. There's a risk, yes, but the potential payoff matches it. You don't plan to be picking #1 in back to back years to get Luck, that's just ridiculous.
disagree here. I think his ceiling is VY and his floor is JaMarcus

What do you think the odds are that Newton goes #1 to Carolina?Bigger question - Should Carolina take him at #1?I say odds are 60% he goes #1.And I say Carolina should not take him.Not so much a knock on Newton. They just have too many holes, too weird a situation with new coaches and limited OTA's, Clausen, etc.What do you guys think?J
I think it's about a 75% shot that they take Newton.Like you though I think they should pass on him and take another player. Personally I would take A.J. Green and maybe with a decent weapon Clausen can grow in year 2. If not then grab your QB next year and atleast the new QB will have a hell of a weapn to throw too.

Newton will go first and it will be a mistake. They should be either taking Gabbert or - if they don't love either QB - taking a guy like Peterson. Against the NFC South a CB is gold vs. NO, ATL and TB these days.ETA - based on what I've seen on Newton I just don't see the "it" factor that would make him a franchise QB at the NFL level. I don't know if Gabbert has it either, but I would certainly be comfortable saying that Newton does not.
You're a big dynasty guy...who really intrigues you in this draft and why?
Intrigues me? Hmmm. Well, I'm a Va Tech guy, so I am very interested in seeing where Ryan Williams goes for one. I also am interested to see if Washington pushes away the smoke and gets Locker.There's not many names I love that will be called on Day 1 to be honest. I like some of the 2nd/3rd day RBs like Shane Vereen (should be a great PPR guy, love his hands) and Kendall Hunter (just looks the part to me). I don't get to see as much college ball as I'd like, but I did see enough of Torrey Smith to know that I wouldn't want him. He looks like a body catcher to me, very reminiscent of DHB. Certainly wondering where Ingram goes as well tonight.Also intrigued by where the rookie TEs go - even though they're regarded as a thin class. I think that there's some talent there despite the panned reviews of the group as a whole. Interested to see where Virgil Green, DJ Williams and VT's TE Andre Smith as well wind up.

disagree here. I think his ceiling is VY and his floor is JaMarcus
If VY was equipped to handle the psychological pressure of being an NFL QB, saying a QB's upside was him would be a compliment, not an insult. It's easy to forget that he had the Titans in the playoffs in year two.

Planning for Luck next year is ridiculous, but I'd counter there's a trend in the NFL where teams get taken off guard by athleticism or scheme just long enough that a team can benefit (Miami-Wild Cat; Browns using Derek Anderson; Titans w/Vince Young; etc, ) that once teams catch up these guys or offenses get exposed. It's going to be great to see how Newton does in Carolina, but I think Tennessee's situation was a little different defensively. But to see your point, Carolina can improve quickly offensively if the run game gets going. The defense isn't as far off as it looks to at least keep the team in the game if the offense improves (a precarious scenario much like Tennessee in this dynamic). Good points...

Interesting that you'd include Vince Young in your positive review of Cam Newton. I've heard that name in comparatives with Newton in a negative sense.

Users who are viewing this thread